Good morning, ladies and gents and welcome to yet another “most important game of the season” Saturday. Today, our beloved Cats will do their best to protect the sacred home court of Rupp Arena against LSU and Trent Johnson’s super deep voice. Here are a couple of stories to get you geared up for this afternoon’s festivities:
– John Clay says in his column that LSU is Gillispie’s biggest test yet as coach of the Cats.
– Jerry Tipton writes that the “Tigers are a nightmare matchup for Cats” and says UK is looking to pound it inside today.
– Rick Bozich gives you a primer for this afternoon’s game.
– Brett Dawson writes that UK is going to dish out a heavy dose of Patrick Patterson, who finally looks to be at 100%.
– LSU has won nine straight games this season, but has lost their last 11 at Rupp Arena. Something has to give today.
– LSU coach Trent Johnson is turning to Garrett Temple to try to contain Jodie Meeks. A Defensive All-American from a year ago, Temple has had some success in shutting down big-time players in SEC play.
– The Shreveport Times says LSU is trying to make history today. Now, their “history” is that they’ve never clinched the SEC title by winning at Rupp, which seems to me like a Uecker “he’s 5-0 with a 1.42 ERA in games played on Tuesday, in a dome, west of Arkansas, when the opponent’s batting coach is named ‘Ted'” stat, but I guess history is history.
– Well, Coach Kige got ’em all fired up last Saturday in “the most important game of the season” part one and the Cats knocked off a first place (at the time) Tennessee team. Hopefully, the Rupp of Russellville can do the same this week. Here’s what he wants to see today.