Sanders say Maxwell Smith is UK’s best QB

It was coordinators’ day at UK this morning, with Randy Sanders and Rick Minter answering questions prior to Saturday’s game against Tennessee. Naturally, some of the questions and comments ended up being about the coordinators’ time at UK and where they think the Cats should go from here.

— Despite all of the QB drama we’ve endured over this season, Randy Sanders said “there is no question” that Maxwell Smith is the best QB on the roster, and that the next staff should name him the starter unless they utilize a QB-run heavy offense.

— Sanders was pretty candid about the fact that his final game was going to be at Tennessee, where he spent a good chunk of his coaching career: “It’s kind of ironic that my last one here is going to be in Knoxville.” Like many of us, he said last year’s win over the Vols was one of the highlights of his time at UK. “I thought it would take a miracle to beat them … and a miracle happened.” Just call him Matt “Miracle” Roark.

— Rick Minter is pretty fond of linebacker Avery Williamson. In fact, “If I had a daughter, she could marry Avery.”

— Minter said he feels the next staff will inherit a much better defense than before he came on as DC: “It’s a much brighter future than it was a couple years ago.”

— What better holiday for a football player than Thanksgiving? According to Ben Jones, on past Thanksgivings, Bud Dupree once ate a whole pecan pie and Donte Rumph a whole cheesecake.

#BeatTennessee #EatPecanPie

32 Comments for Sanders say Maxwell Smith is UK’s best QB

1. tdogg40330
    1:10 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

How can he tell how good any QB is with his play calling??

2. I Yell Cartwright
    1:11 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

That comment about Smith makes no sense to me. First, why is he giving advice to the next staff and the QB they choose? Second, what Smith excelled at was running/ scrambling – why would they name him starter “unless” they use a QB-run offense? Third, would any fan agree that “there is no question” Smith is the best QB on the roster?

3. I Yell Cartwright
    1:13 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Uh yeah, scratch that. My brain wires tripped – I thought he was referring to Whitlow concerning the running QB comment.

My point still remains, was he asked specifically about who the QB should be for the next staff?

4. tdogg40330
    1:14 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

2) Smith excelled at running/scrambling??

5. tdogg40330
    1:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

3) lol, I was already on that …

6. UKBlue
    1:17 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sanders is an idiot, and no one cares what he thinks. Bye Bye Idiot, go screw up some other teams offense.

7. BBN
    1:28 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I agree that Sanders is an idiot. Clearly one of the worst offensive coordinators in college football. He didn’t come to Kentucky for no reason. He is a loser. One of the joys of the coaching change is to see him get canned as well. Good riddance Randy!

8. Bradley
    1:29 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure the coaching candidates wondered who the guy getting shit canned thinks is the best QB. Thanks Randy. Now to home and finish writing your book about 3 yard outs on 3rd and 9.

9. Alan Cutler's Mustache
    1:30 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I am sure that whomever is hired as HC will be wanting to keep Sanders on as the OC. That is why he is giving his opinion on the QBs. 😉

10. BBN
    1:30 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Formula for Success = The Complete Opposite of What Randy Sanders Says

11. bbmike
    1:33 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Wow-we have some folks that must be perfect. I wish I was. Randy-thanks for your time here. Good luck.

12. MJ4UK
    1:34 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Very much disagree with the Minter comment

13. banjo minnow
    1:37 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Minter, what a terrible hire…..

14. true fan
    1:37 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

you all are the idiots look how max was playing before he got injuried then looking how the other qb played. there was a reason we had to run the ball after max went out cause they couldnt do what max could do

15. asdf
    1:38 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

12, You don’t think Rick Minter’s hypothetical daughter should marry Avery Williamson?

16. John
    1:38 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

No one know how Matts injury is going to affect him in his future playing career. My vote is to Towles because he is our future. He is 6′ 5″ and he has a rocket arm. He was born to be a Quaterback. Plus he is from Kentucky. Start Towles!!!!!

17. asdf
    1:40 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Max Smith was on track be be near the top of the conference in passing this year when he went down, and that’s nothing to sneeze at. That said, the biggest concern going forward is his durability. He can’t go but a few games without breaking.

18. Shawon
    1:40 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I could get on the #EatPecanPie bandwagon.

Not sure if i can get on the Randy Sanders bandwagon. Or Rick Minter for that matter. This may well be how the Joker Phillips era went up in flames.

19. MJ4UK
    1:41 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

#15. He can marry the daughter, but I was referring to the “It’s a much brighter future than it was a couple years ago.” We lost two of the best defensive players in the SEC last year and no one replaced them

20. MJ4UK
    1:43 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Brighter future will come when this staff leaves, and we get something resembling a D-Line, or an O line for that matter

21. Donny Berger
    1:49 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sanders couldn’t coordinate a group of sailors that have been out to sea for months to a whore house.

22. asdf
    1:53 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

#19, Oh…I get you. My bad!

23. Buddy Ryan
    2:00 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Is he crazy? The defense is better than a couple of years ago? He is absolutely nuts!They are worse in every category than in 2010 and with an easier schedule. Why doesnt somebody call him on this?????????

24. Yesterdays
    2:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Randy Sanders is clueless. I dont mean that I dont think hes a good coach. What I am saying is that the guy is quite possibly the most clueless coach I have ever analyzed on the BCS level. Name one-time when you thought, “that was a great playcall,” after one of his calls. He spends the ENTIRE game setting up a deep pass. He will run the ball nine times in a row and accept consecutive three and outs, all so he can set-up one precious deep ball. If the deep ball fails, well, then the process starts over.
    I’ve never seen a coach fail so miserably on the offensive end. Morgan Newton got WORSE over his four-year career. That is Sanders fault.

25. Matt in Franklin
    2:21 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Love how Minter keeps on with the comments about his players…what a prick…under him, our defense has gotten nothing but worse, who would have thought laying back in that prevent the whole game wouldn’t work? That’s what we get for getting Indiana State’s LB coach!

26. Matt in Franklin
    2:23 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

…and Sanders is a moron too…TN fan-friend of mine said two years ago to watch our offense start to tank, like UTs did under him…he was right…pretty bad when one of the best offensive plays is a fake timeout dive run…

27. me
    2:26 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sanders was saying that to build and excuse for his next interview. In other words, we would have performed much better if I had my best QB on the field. Instead I had to try to run a pro-style offense with an option read QB.

28. Randy
    2:56 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sanders is a dumbass

29. Beavis
    2:59 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Before the season started I said this team would be 2 and 10. All those shock the world comments by the players were a dead give away. So,,,here we are at 2 and 9 with a trip to Knoxville,,,players playing out of position,,, a lame duck coach and staff,,, a dissatisfied fan base and another ONE MAN coaching search by our AD . You could not make this stuff up. 2 and 10

30. fatkidineastky
    3:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I am of the belief that this man could not find his bung hole if it were not for the stink it emits!

31. Towles
    4:01 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Dont let the door hit ya in the ass Randy…Air Raid 2013 is on its way!

32. Kevin C.
    4:49 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Even Randy Sanders knows he’s gone, so why are people still interviewing him? And Nuclear Minter my azz…more like Nuclear Waste…