Ryan Flannigan now a 3-star, UK back up to #2 NUMBER ONE #2 in Rivals’ rankings

Screen shot 2013-06-17 at 11.54.24 AM

2014 UK commit Ryan Flannigan finally has a Rivals’ ranking, and as a result, UK is back up to NUMBER TWO in Rivals’ 2014 team rankings. Unbelievably, that’s also good enough for the best class in the SEC.

Flannigan, a JUCO linebacker from Texas, was given a 5.6 three-star ranking, which gives the Cats twelve three-star commits in the 2014 class, along with five four-stars.

UPDATE: KENTUCKY’S CLASS IS NOW RANKED NUMBER ONE.

Screen shot 2013-06-17 at 12.07.17 PM

Rivals added 3-star WR Tyre Brady’s commitment, which explains the jump to NUMBER ONE. (For some reason, I can only type that phrase in all caps.) Brady committed to UK on Friday, but Rivals decided to wait a few days to make it official in their rankings.

UPDATE #2: Okay, now Rivals has taken Tyre Brady’s commitment off again, putting the Cats back at number two for the time being. Still…

Stooooooooooops.

50 Comments for Ryan Flannigan now a 3-star, UK back up to #2 NUMBER ONE #2 in Rivals’ rankings

1. Austin
    1:05 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

OMG!!!, JUST CLICKED THE LINK AND WE ARE #1 ON RIVALS RIGHT NOWWWW!!!!! BOOOOOSH!!!!!

2. I Am Spartacus
    1:09 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Shoulda been at least a 5.7.

3. MCStayUpLateâ„¢
    1:09 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Wow, we are number 1 right now. However brief our stay may be, still cool to see that.

4. Every Other Fanbase in the Country
    1:16 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Yes, you’re being punked.

5. classof68
    1:18 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

UK No. 1 in FB recruiting. We must be living in the end times.

6. bigblue
    1:18 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

@ #4) who’s your team?

7. Costa Rica
    1:20 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Momentum!

While it’s a momentary thrill for UK to have the #1 football recruiting class, what really matters is that Stoops and his staff are bringing in very-talented players, and we’re gonna have a better football team. Thanks!

8. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:27 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Back to Number 2. Rivals took Tyre Brady down. That’s what pushed us over Texas…

9. StoopsPoopsIceCream
    1:30 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Very exciting to see! Then you look to see where this class so far would have finished last year… 25th vs Joker’s 29th.

10. Hoptownsbeast
    1:31 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

I can’t wait to see CWS full with excited fans! Stoops has def brought up the morale. I’ve never been so ready for football season. I know it will take a few seasons to build a winning program bit it begins with good SEC caliber players which we now have!

11. Musehobo
    1:33 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t matter. It was long enough for me to take a picture. That happened.

12. Stoops Troops
    1:34 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome. Stoops and Co. are killing it in the recruiting game right now. Can’t imagine it going any better for a 1st year head coach. Count me as pumped for football season and for next years class!

13. bigbluenationbigredmachine
    1:35 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Make up your mind Rivals!!! Hahaha

14. Borgeous
    1:35 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

#10, lol, Hoptownsbeast.. I’ve been to Hopkinsville, no beasts there. Must be Scotty Hopson.

15. Yesterdays
    1:38 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

#9- What are you comparing? I believe that Stoops has a MUCH higher rating that Joker’s classes. I dont recall specifics, but I know that several of Jokers recruits were two-stars and one stars. I dont really compare the ratings of football recruits. The most telling sign is which other programs offered them. That said, I still am curious as to how this class would rank so close to Jokers from last year.

16. Scooby
    1:44 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

9) I don’t think its fair to call last years class “jokers”……Joker would have never gotten Hatcher, Timmons, McWilson, Hytchye…..

17. Scooby
    1:44 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

or Zadarius… Jokers biggest contribution to last years class was Blake McClain…that’s it!

18. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    1:46 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

19. Bballjoker
    1:46 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

It’s because the top recruits from last years class were stoops’. Jokers class would have finished closer to 50th

20. Dandy Don
    1:46 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

I hope Brian Long appreciates this

21. Scooby
    1:48 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

19- Not even that high. Joker would have maybe made it up to 65….but no further.

22. Derp
    1:48 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

9… What the fug are you talking about?

23. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:52 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

20) LOL! That made me laugh!

24. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:56 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

9) Actually, last years class is technically Stoops, and not Jokers. Amazing he was able to pull off a Top-30 class in a few months. Now we’re seeing what he can do with a full staff recruiting… Take that negative crap elsewhere.

25. RUPPS_rhetoric
    2:00 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

9) Plus last years class has a ranking of 29th with 23 commits for 1641 points. This year @ 2nd with 17 commits for 1676 points. My simple math tells me we are averaging 98.58 points per commit. If we have 23 commits with that average that’ll give us 2267.53 points which would have put us 13th last year just behind UGA and ahead of Southern Cal. Again, take your crap elsewhere.

26. Irony
    2:04 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Hehe #24 tells a guy with name “stoops poops” to take his crap elsewhere. I giggle like 3rd grader. I love poop jokes

27. bluegrassstu
    2:07 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

stoops is doing some work for sure. even though the average of the class is lower than maybe 15 to 20 other schools, these are definitely exciting times for our cats. love stoops.

28. chief_cat
    2:10 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

#9 – I think I see where you got your numbers, but you are calling the incoming class Joker’s class. While he is responsible for a good number of the recruits, the players that put us up to #29 are guys like Smith, McWilson, Badet, Blue and Hatcher. In fact Joker only signed about five of the 2013 recruits. The rest were brought in by Stoops and his coaches. For a more accurate comparison, look back one year further at 2012. That year Kentucky finished #62. In 2011, we finished #61. The year before – we finished #50.

As for comparing the 2014 recruiting class with 2013, well that’s difficult to do because we don’t know what our final points will be, nor do we know how other teams will fare. But if you look at raw numbers right now, if Kentucky didn’t recruit another player, we would finish with 1676 points. Last season we had 1641 points. So based on raw numbers, you would be right – we finish around #25. However, I suspect Stoops and company will sign several more players before all is said and done. He is still hoping to sign Matt Elam, for instance, who would certainly add more points.

As was stated earlier, the real point here is that Stoops and company are signing kids we had no shot at previously. He is raking in kids that have offers from Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Florida St, etc. This will mean nothing if the kids can’t compete on the field, but I suspect they will fare well and will give us a shot to finally compete in the SEC.

29. Joker Phillips
    2:16 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

My recruiting classes were way better……. Why do you think I got hired at flordia………

30. RUPPS_rhetoric
    2:17 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

26) Irony, I didn’t even realize it… HA! Made me laugh also.

31. Alex poythress
    2:18 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Well Im going to miss archie but guess who I seen who is back……. Willy cauley stein

32. bluegrassstu
    2:19 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

28. according to my cousin who is a rabid osu fan, none of the cats commits actually had a committable offer from osu. if kief had committed to our cats, then that would have been the first recruit the cats beat osu out for. oh well.

33. Scooby
    2:23 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

In 2013 Joker Contributed these guys: Alvonte Bell and Khalid Thomas (5.7)’s and five other players rated at 5.5 (low end of 3-star scale)

Lets take a look at Jokers last complete class makeup:

2012—

Mark Stoops 2014 Class:

3 – 5.9
    2 – 5.8
    9 – 5.7
    1 – 5.6
    2 – 5.5

Key Idea: You want more of your team to consist of the higher numbers on the point scale. Joker NEVER in his tenure got 1 5.9 four-star. Stoops has 3….

Vanderbilt last year had the 19th ranked class in the nation and their class had the following make-up:

5- 5.8
    12 – 5.7
    3 – 5.6

UK’s class will be a top 15 when it is all said and done…

34. RUPPS_rhetoric
    2:29 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

32) We don’t have to beat out OSU for talent and still be successful. I think what you pointed out is actually an important fact. Ohio is so riddled with good talent you don’t even have to recruit against OSU to get talented kids. You’re still beating out major D-1 programs. OSU and Meyer are going to get their share of top in-state talent, but they can’t take everyone. That’s where we can make a dent, and are making a dent.

35. cracka
    2:29 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

all 9 is talking about is taking our current points and seeing where that would have put us in last years’ final rankings … obviously we’re going to add more recruits and points … if we continue the exact same avg/recruit, and get 25 guys, we will finish with 2411 pts which would have been good for 8th last year

36. Scooby
    2:31 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

And people aren’t even factoring in if players get a bump up. IF we get Elam I think he will eventually get a 4th star. I think Denzel Ware will get his 4th back too. A guy like Tymere Dubose may not get more stars, but could move up to a 5.6 or 5.7 guy which would gain about 50-60 points for us.

37. gobgblu37
    2:42 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

35) Rivals only counts 20 recruits towards the class rankings but the best 20 not the first 20, so your math is off. Still a great class for the Big Blue. GBB!!!

38. cracka
    2:48 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

gotcha, didn’t know that

39. Realism
    2:54 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

This is all going to seem really awkward and childish over the next 7 months as 20 schools pass UK once the elite players and all americans from this class sign and pick better schools

40. Tampa Satchel
    3:03 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

39-I’d be willing to put a wager on that.

41. Realism's Mom
    3:29 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

39. Hard to call other things awkward and childish when you’ve been living in my basement for the past 39 years. Please get a job and move out! Anyway your pizza rolls are ready sweetie and its time for mommas afternoon foot rub.

42. Seven Eight Nine
    3:33 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Why did they take off Brady’s commitment? And reason or Rivals just being indecisive?

43. BIGBLUE
    3:55 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

41- WTF? That was an awful joke lol
    Go Cats! I hope we get them all!

44. Realism's Mom
    4:11 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

43. I wish that was a joke. I’m really worried for my boy, I don’t know who’s gonna look out for him once I’m gone. All he does is troll the interwebs and play x-box all day.

45. dshwildcats
    4:18 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Realism,
    I can guarantee that one of those twenty schools won’t be Louisville! Nice try, Card fan!!

46. Jake_GOCATS
    4:24 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

20. Hahahahahaha!

47. Realism
    5:09 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

45-I am not a little brother fan. How dare you insult me like that. I said I was being real, you saying that looks more ignorant than me saying I think 20 schools can pass UK in football recruiting

48. rickshelton
    5:32 pm June 17, 2013 Permalink

Never knew college football recruiting could be so much fun. Never knew Kentucky football coaches could recruit top talent. They are definitely able to sell dreams. Wonder how they will be able to sell reality after having played the toughest schedule in the country? GO CATS!

49. thicknixon
    12:46 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

This screenshot will look great next to my “We’re #8!” football t-shirt from 2007.

50. Testetets
    5:54 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Cheers!