Russ Smith and the Qdoba Paper Airplane

BPKhzNhCMAEY0cV.jpg-large

If you listen to the radio show, you know it is no secret, I like Qdoba. The combination of chicken, queso, brown rice and black beans is enough to make even the most mediocre day turn positive. But it can also be a place of mass tension, especially when one wanders into the Bardstown Road branch late at night. Case in point, the alleged incident with Russ Smith and that troublemaker “Jonesy528”. The Louisville guard went into a Qdoba and according to the tweeter, he was hit by a paper airplane. Jonesy then tweeted he did it and Russ Smith responded (at 4:45 am) by letting Mr. 528 know that if said incident had occurred, he “wuddve smacked you.” Jonesy responded in a later tweet that “you didnt because it was when you were walking up the stairs”, suggesting that someone is not telling the truth. Either Russdiculous was hit by an airplane and let it go, or Jonesy528 talked a big game but actually did nothing, the truth isn’t clear.

Leaving aside the wonderful spelling of “would have” (making the usual UL fan attacks I get confusing “your” and “you’re” seem tame), the reaction by Smith doesn’t bother me. Had Mr. 528 hit Russ Smith with a paper airplane (for no crime other than enjoying a delicious late night snack), then some form of reaction would be understandable. You don’t hit people with projectile objects simply because they happen to play for the most objectionable basketball team in the world…it just isn’t kosher. Russ has since taken the tweet down, but luckily we have the screen image above to remember it forever.

Let this be a reminder to everyone…in the playful war of UK vs UL, some things are off limits…wives, children and when you are eating in restaurants. This isn’t the Godfather…let the man eat his burrito in peace, or risk the possibility of a paper airplane smackdown coming your way.

Article written by Matt Jones

38 Comments for Russ Smith and the Qdoba Paper Airplane

1. Matt Jones
    5:52 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

I am going to post “slow news day?” before anyone else so that we get that out of the way.

It is a Sunday in mid July folks, Qdoba paper airplane fights are what you get

2. Gavin S.
    6:01 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

That’s pretty funny. If someone did hit Russ with a paper airplane he needed a smack. I’d of liked to have seen it, too.

3. Zed
    6:03 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Twitter and Facebook are gold for inbreds

4. Kaleb
    6:04 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Haha Jonesy is a friend I went to high school with and he’s a big IU fan. Hilarious!

5. Jackson Cats
    6:11 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

As much as I love KSR during basketball/football season, I might like the summer radio shows and articles even better. Stories like this always make me laugh.

6. Question
    6:13 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Who is Alex jones?

7. ICQ
    6:20 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

How did Matt ever survive until Twitter came along?

8. Steve
    6:25 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

And “WHO Cares?”

9. lesigh
    6:28 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Matt, good qualifier. I know many hunger for substantial UK news (or UNC scandal news these days) 24/7/12, but all of the action is on the practice court and away from view for good reason. If the television news can run interest stories about a dachsund parade, a story about a paper airplane aimed at Russ Smith is fine (queue the MIA song).

10. Tommy
    6:31 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Notice that he didn’t even tag Russ’ twitter handle in it.. Russ was searching himself on twitter. Someone’s a little self absorbed.

11. hahaha
    6:33 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

9.) That’s hilarious. Nice catch.

12. Phenom
    6:36 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

I am going to choose to believe that this is the Alex Jones of conspiracy theory and InfoWars.com fame.

13. SportsWritersofAmerica
    7:05 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

#journalism

14. Bryan in Houston
    7:19 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Dear Jonsey528, please don’t start stuff with an athlete or anyone else of some relative celebrity status. Embarrassing for the UK nation and Russ Smith has way more to lose by responding than you so of course he did nothing. Grow the f*** up. I think I might come close to smacking you on behalf of Russ Smith even though I’m a UK alum. Represent the BBN with dignity.

15. Louisville1Cal4
    7:30 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

We all hate UofL like any decent human being should, but that’s no reason to mess with their players. Especially if they are eating lol Wouldn’t of blamed Russ had he slapped him for that.

16. itsjustbrandon
    7:34 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

That’s just great Jonesy!

17. Megan
    7:36 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Careful, Mr. Lawyer man. “Some form of reaction would be understandable”? You can’t seriously suggest that Russ Smith would have been justified in smacking Mr. 528. Maybe if Mr. 528 had broken Russ’ nose and started banging his skull against the sidewalk. Then obviously it would be self-defense. But not for tossing a paper airplane.

No, you shouldn’t throw paper airplanes at people (if that’s what happened). But you sure as hell don’t react to such harmless horseplay with physical violence. That’ll get you arrested.

18. CATandMONKEY
    7:55 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Lighten up Francis….uhhh…Megan.

19. Catlogic15
    7:59 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Matt,

If you hear of any juicy spit wad encounters, please rush the news to us.

20. Wi Tu Hi
    8:18 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

#14 did you read #4? He said it is his friend, and he is a IU fan.

21. Your vs. You're
    8:29 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt,

New rule: from now on, when you criticize the language arts skills of UofL fans, either proofread your posts or return to law school, or your undergraduate work, or high school, or middle school, take a course that helps you to better communicate through writing, and then proofread your posts so that you don’t look like a hypocritical fool.

[If you listen to the radio show, you know it is no secret, I like Qdoba.]

– Either the comma between “secret” and “I” should be removed or changed to a semicolon.

[The combination of chicken, queso, brown rice and black beans]

– A comma is required between “rice” and “black.”

[Case in point, the alleged incident with Russ Smith and that troublemaker “Jonesy528″.]

– The subordinate phrase “Case in point” should have a colon after it, not a comma. Shouldn’t you know this if you were taught how to discuss court “cases” through writing during your time at Duke University’s law school?

– I’m crossing my fingers that the high school you attended taught you that a punctuation mark belongs on the inside of a set of quotation marks. Your ability to execute the punctuation mark correctly when citing Smith’s tweet later in the paragraph (he “wuddve smacked you.”) leads me to believe that you are one of those people that doesn’t know the grammatical rule and switches back and forth between the inside and the outside of the quotation marks so that you are correct half of the time. That makes me giggle a little. That actually makes me giggle a lot. Your confusion makes you seem unsure and weak. To further confirm my notion, you return to placing the punctuation mark outside of the quotation marks just one sentence later (Jonesy responded in a later tweet that “you didnt because it was when you were walking up the stairs”,). Back and forth, back and forth like a scared, uneducated child.

[Either Russdiculous was hit by an airplane and let it go, or Jonesy528 talked a big game but actually did nothing, the truth isn’t clear.]

– A semicolon should replace the comma between “nothing” and “the truth.” I know that semicolons can be confusing, but when used properly, they can really enhance the texture of your writing, Matt.

[Had Mr. 528 hit Russ Smith with a paper airplane (for no crime other than enjoying a delicious late night snack), then some form of reaction would be understandable.]

– I don’t believe you want (or need) a parenthetical in this sentence. Review the previous sentence for an appropriate instance to use a parenthetical. Not your previous sentence, but rather my previous sentence.

– “For no crime other than” suggests that eating a “late night snack” is a crime. In fact, it is not. The sentence is misleading to readers, and a sentence reading “Had Mr. 528 hit Russ Smith with a paper airplane for no reason other than his enjoying of a delicious late night snack, then some form of reaction would be understandable” would better serve the point you are painfully attempting to make. Again, isn’t “crime” a legal term? What were you doing at Duke?

[the most objectionable basketball team in the world…it just isn’t kosher.]

– Uh oh. Here come the misused ellipses. The punctuation mark is used inappropriately three more times in the post.

[the most objectionable basketball team in the world…it just isn’t kosher.]

– The ellipses should be replaced by a semicolon. There’s that damned semicolon again, Matt.

[Let this be a reminder to everyone…in the playful war of UK vs UL, some things are off limits…wives, children and when you are eating in restaurants.]

– Oh goody: a two-for-one! The first ellipses should be replaced by a semicolon. The second should be replaced by a colon. And, of course, there should exist a comma between the words “children” and “when” due to the grammatical rules of a series. I will spare you the lecture on parallel structure in relation to the aforementioned series that completes your sentence (if you can call it a sentence). What do you know? Another successful use of the parenthetical can be found in the previous sentence.

[This isn’t the Godfather…let the man eat his burrito in peace,]

– The ellipses should be replaced by a period and the “l” in “let” should be capitalized to begin a new sentence. Varying your sentence structure or syntax can be an effective way to draw your reader into your writing, Matt.

I believe that will conclude your tutoring lesson for the day, Mr. Jones. Before you choose to criticize the spelling and writing skills of the UofL fan base, a fan base of which I am admittedly a part, and a fan base that I have no doubt is made up of some members who are unable to communicate well through their writing, just as I have proven some members of the Wildcat fan base are unable, please proofread your future contributions to your site. I enjoy coming to KSR for UK and college basketball news, and I take site-criticisms aimed at the UofL fan base for what they are: good-natured rival bashing. However, if you are going to criticize UofL’s fans for something, you will have to come with a stronger rhetorical and grammatical argument in order to avoid future tutoring lessons.

The email I provided is real in the event that you would like to respond personally to my comment. I dare you to not delete this comment from the comment section. Either way, this comment will also be available on Card Chronicle.

[Russ has since taken the tweet down, but luckily we have the screen image above to remember it forever.]

Don’t edit or take down this post. Let’s see how the readers of KSR respond. Either way, I’ve got a screen shot too.

Good luck moving forward,

Your vs. You’re

22. Helpwanted.com
    8:43 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

21. Ha! Are you kidding me?!! I thought it was a joke at first, but I read the first couple corrections (didnt bother to waste my time reading the rest). I know this sounds cliche, but you desperately need to get a life.

23. lesigh
    8:44 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Don’t worry #21, school will resume in a month. You can get those red pens back out!

24. timer
    9:02 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

…..and another deleted comment….

25. Kenny Gray
    9:03 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

@jonesy528 was golfing with me today. I am a huge UK fan and I honestly think it is funny! The self absorbed arrogance of some of these U of L players make me sick! They are mostly thugs! The only thing that would have made this story better is if that paper airplane was full of bricks!

26. E
    9:09 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

21) Your first sentence has 7 commas. Boom roasted.

27. Wi Tu Hi
    9:10 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

#21 I hope you get you medicine tomorrow. I am guessing that you did not meet a woman again this weekend?

28. PattyIce3
    9:17 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys first let me say that I know Alex. He is not of infowars fame but of Bellarmine track and field fame. He gets a little ballsy after a few drinks and he actually sent me and a couple buddies a text saying he had just thrown the plane. Secondly don’t worry he isn’t an embarrassment to uk fans because he is a hoosier.and don’t worry hw could have taken little Russ.

29. Trollop
    9:26 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Hey #21, your ass says Matt needs a comma after “rice” and I say that remark blew your whole post.

30. Paul
    10:25 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

21,wow. And double check my comma use “their”.
    Isn’t the purpose of the written word to communicate? Seems like 100k or so daily visitors to this site understand the message just fine. Has your site clocked double figure hits on that riveting comma usage exposé?
    #Ifyoucantdoatleastdontteachsomeonewhodoesntcare

31. Gregory
    10:42 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t said Alex Jones a huge IU fan? I think he hates UK and UofL equally!

32. Proctor
    11:02 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

@ 21 – This reader would greatly appreciate future comments concerning Matt Jones’ writing abilities being emailed directly to Mr. Jones. I consider the use of 5,712 characters to form 995 words a waste of my valuable bandwidth and time.

33. Jonesy528
    11:34 pm July 14, 2013 Permalink

Alright…It’s time to break my silence after an article and 32 comments were written about a tweet I posted last night. First off, I want to say that I hate both UK and UofL. People will ask me, “Who are you cheering for in the battle of the bluegrass this weekend?” and my response is always, “I know it’s not possible, but I hope both teams lose.”…however, I do appreciate the UK fans that have my back on this ‘issue’ (However, I don’t believe ‘issue’ is even a proper term for this) Secondly, I did hit Russ with a paper airplane. All I did was toss it at his side while he walked by me. He gave me a look and just kept walking. It’s not like I was trying to snipe him from a distance, ‘start something’ with him, or ‘disrespect him’. My intentions were to get a good laugh out of my buddies and get a couple ‘retweets’…and both goals were achieved. I’m sure every single one of you on here has done something stupid and out of line…but it was not blown way out of proportion like this incident. I certainly did not mean for this to blow up on Russ, as I respect him as a player. As Megan said, it was horseplay. If Russ had retaliated in anyway, then I would’ve been fine with it. I started it, plain and simple. I’m a man and can take a hit. Again, my goal was not to get ‘smacked’ by Russ Smith. Do you think Alan Garner wanted to get punched by Mike Tyson when he stole his Tiger?? It was a harmless JOKE people.

I posted the tweet and saw that he had responded to me when I woke up. I never in my wildest dreams expected a response from Russ. Had he never responded, then this would have never made any kind of forum.

I will say that there are people who read this site that wonder if a story like this is even ‘news’…The fact that it is even posted on here and highly talked about just shows why the UK/UofL rivalry is the greatest in all of college sports…with that being said, As the great Wes Mantooth once said, “At the bottom of my gut, with every inch of me, I plain, straight hate you. But dammit, do I respect you!” That quote is obviously directed at my dislike toward UK and UofL.

Lastly, I apologized if I disrespected Hoosier Nation in anyway. At least I didn’t poison a historical tree at Auburn or anything like that.

By the way, 21 – The door is now open for you to do a grammar check on this post.

34. SocialMedia_is_Evil
    12:43 am July 15, 2013 Permalink

@ 33 – I feel your pain. Just another example of why social media is evil. Good people say and do harmless things that in the real world, you know, the one that matters, would not be given a second look or thought because it was a harmless act. If you use Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Reddit, etc. to announce to the world what you are doing, then you must assume that someone, somewhere, will be offended by your very existence.

35. Good God This Is Stupid
    2:16 am July 15, 2013 Permalink

@33- I think you’re making too big of a deal about this. You’re not an international celebrity or a serial murderer for this. You did a slightly immature thing to a moderately well-known basketball player, he didn’t notice, you tweeted bragging about it, then he made a casual jab back at you. There’s no need to talk about “breaking your silence” like you’re some sort of fugitive.

tl;dr- you sound like a drama queen. Why do you think throwing a paper airplane at someone is eventful, why do you think the internet is interested in it, and why do you think this is a significant enough controversy to warrant a theatrical “I’m breaking my silence” statement. I’m guessing most commenters here were twelve once (or eventually will be). No need to keep us updated on your growing pains.

36. John
    7:34 am July 15, 2013 Permalink

21- hilarious!

37. Russ Smith
    10:00 am July 15, 2013 Permalink

@35 It is pretty clear he is making a joke out of the debacle … he quoted Wes Mantooth lol. Anyway, now that I look back at that Qdoba run – pretty funny stuff!

38. LOL
    4:39 pm July 15, 2013 Permalink

So @21 went over to Card Chronicle to write a fanpost called “in case you lost perspective” and brag about posting here thinking he would get kudos or something. Basically all his fellow UofL fans called him an idiot, but didn’t point out the fact that Matt never “took a swipe” at UOFL fans grammar. He simply pointed out that UOFL fans make fun of him (Matt Jones) for his use of your and you’re making his whole argument mute. Reading is fundamental. Even after one of the greatest years by a college sports program, LITTLE BROTHER SYNDROME is alive and well.