Rupp TASK FORCE releases final report

The Rupp Arena TASK FORCE released its final report this morning and the plan calls for $250 to $300 million for the renovation. That renovation will include a transformation of Rupp Arena, the Lexington Convention Center, and the Civic Center Shoppes (Arby’s, Subway, the store with all the crystals and glass horses, and that Chinese place.)

The problem is the TASK FORCE doesn’t know where the funding will come from. According to The Herald-Leader, possible sources include new revenue from premium seating, advertising, sponsorship, concert/event promotions, concessions and parking associated with proposed plans. Private funding, federal grants, and tax credits will also be explored.

The timeline for the project is Spring 2015 through Summer 2017.

Let’s get to work.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Rupp TASK FORCE releases final report

1. SteveM
    10:34 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Why should UK basketball supporters donate when much of the work will be done to re-novate the convention center and shops? What % of the $300 mil will go to restoring Rupp?

2. REAL BLY
    10:37 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

BBN TAXES!!!! what a joke….this country couldn’t afford a renovation of a phone booth……

3. Steve Fitts
    10:38 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

So it won’t be finished for five-and-a-half more years? Five-and-a-half more years of playing second fiddle to the KFC-Yum Center? Bummer!

4. uklaw95
    10:45 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t I read that Yum was having financial probs?

5. CincyCat
    10:46 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

#2, We aren’t talking about any run of the mill country…We are talking about the BIG BLUE NATION…Money is no object…

6. SteveM
    10:47 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I hardly think UK is playing second fiddle to anything associated with U of L.

7. RIP Mel Turpin
    10:48 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Obama has lots of money. He’s printing it at the fastest pace ever and giving it to just about everybody. Obama/Rupp Arena anyone?

8. Ryan
    10:52 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I think that Chinese place was replaced with a chicken shack.

9. SteveM
    10:54 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Anything is possible as long as the government keeps raising taxes. Soon, folks will be working the first 7 months of the year just to pay their taxes. Let the good times roll!

10. knightynight
    10:57 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

9 – you know that the average family works until around May just to cover their taxes before they can start making money to pay anything else right? F*cking pathetic. There is a direct correlation with government spending and the unemployment rate.

11. UKBlue
    10:58 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Don’t think for a second Lexington also doesn’t want to get into the financial situation that Louisville is now in. Yes the Yum Center is nice, but Louisville can not & couldn’t afford the Yum Center hence the reason why the committee fudged the numbers, why the Bonds for the Yum Center are near Junk Status & why Louisville is over $4 Million Dollars short on the next payment on the Yum Center.

12. Bunzz
    10:58 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

3- Sorry to tell you, but when it’s finished, I think it will still not be as nice as the YUM-Center.

Has anyone heard a solid number of seats that we will be losing?

13. Stan
    11:03 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you #7

14. memphis wildcat
    11:03 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I guess I am getting old – I would think for $250 to $300 million we could build a new arena…

15. Echo 1
    11:06 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

It took a task force for this? I really hate the concept of a task force when one dude scratching his butt while drinking a beer could do better.

16. Bob Marley
    11:07 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

The only way we’re ever going to get this state to legalize marijuana is if it is connected to UK in some way. I say we lie to the general public and claim that legalizing and taxing marijuana is the best way to pay for the renovations.

17. SteveM
    11:10 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

#14–the $250-$300 million is to build the whole thing not just renovate Rupp. Probably a third of that goes to Rupp. But relax you can go to the renovated Rupp and enjoy all the new shops and convention center displays. Just what I want to do when I go to a ballgame…shop!!

18. Fan1
    11:12 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Build a new arena, on campus, and forget about the convention center and useless shops. Tear down Commonwealth and build the new arena such that it could be attached to the new football stadium. Then I might contribute. Why would people contribute to renovate the convention center?

19. best1978
    11:14 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t think anybody had money to waste.

20. Bankshot
    11:15 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I agree with 14. That’s insane. I’d like to see a new arena. I think that this Mayor wants to piggyback his reputation building in the back of the Cats and what should be a project all about Basketball has become about the “Downtown area”. $300 million?? What’s the cost a a new arena, according to this “Task Force”? Something isn’t right about their approach…

21. SteveM
    11:17 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Why is the convention center even part of the Task Force consideration? Is there some outcry from the citizenry that the convention center be updated? Another misguided, ill-directed government panel that blows money and doesn’t even know which direction the sun comes up.

22. blueink
    11:18 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

i just bought a powerball ticket … so, fingers crossed and we’ll get this done

23. mores
    11:29 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Of course the project has designs to improve downtown and the center–Lexington and Kentucky will end up footing a substantial part of the bill. You think the city would pay for all this just to benefit the basketball program? Get real.

24. MemphisCat
    11:31 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

What would the cost be to build a new arena on campus? I really don’t care about the shops or resturants, I want to watch the game and then go celebrate, and I would like to know what the price tag would be for the campus arena.

25. billy
    11:38 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I knew exactly who you were talking about and never saw this on facebook. He’s a friend of mine and I could definetly see him doing it!

26. Ron
    11:52 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

So i guess the notion of UK not losing any home games is out? 2015-2017?

27. Bankshot
    11:53 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

25. Wrong thread

28. Fred
    12:33 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

Only two issues matter: have suites all around the arena and erruption zone on both sides…get it done.

29. bluegrass79
    12:37 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

SPRING 2015?? lmfao 4 fracking years from now? what a damn joke

250-300 million for a renovate? Lmfao why not just spend 350 million and build a new one

30. 502Cat
    1:11 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

#29 Exactly!

31. Bunzz
    1:42 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

Auburn just built a brand new arena for $90 million. Although, not nearly the size that we would want, it is extremely nice. They have near “0” support and attendance compared to UK. Just can’t understand why a new arena is not feasible for UK….

32. Inside Your Mind
    1:45 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

By the time their done with it, it will be out-dated again.

33. GBB
    1:58 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

But what about the “preforming arts” space?

34. Catfan101
    2:24 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

Please don’t do this. I would much rather wait a few more years and have this done right, with a new arena!

35. JustSayin
    2:37 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

For some of the early comments, you do realize your taxes are lower than they’ve been in the last 60 years right? Obama is not trying to get more out of your wallets or take your guns or make you rely on the government for insurance. Geez people, get out of the rightwing radio bubble.

36. JustSayin
    2:38 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

I agree on let’s build our own arena, not as part of the Civic Center.

37. Fred
    3:17 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

Number 35 clearly must not be involved in business decisions wherever they are working…

38. JustSayin
    4:33 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

37, so businesses are afraid of Obama and what he might do? you do realize he is not omnipotent and can make no laws without Congress right? Businesses pay about 6% of federal taxes. 25 years ago they paid about 30%. let’s not get money where it is but instead just strip out benefits to the middle class and poor. those moochers.

39. bigcat76
    4:45 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t like the sound of this already. This reeks of bureaucracy already. I’m all for spending the money, don’t get me wrong. UK rents this space. When was the last time your landlord asked you to help foot the cost (some or all) of renovating your building, especially when you have been his premier tenant for years. I say let’s move out, let them keep the deposit, and the piss stained carpets, and move it to campus where it should be. It’s going to end up being the same dollars that pay for it…a mixture of taxes, donations, boosters, and premium seating occupants. Lexington needs UK more than UK needs Lexington. Lexington has been begging UK to move toward downtown for years…this is a way for them to make UK chained to downtown. Renovations are ALWAYS more profitable to the contractor than new construction, someone’s about to get FAT off this renovation & I bet that “someone” is already known. How much are the other renter other neighbors (Hyatt, Arby’s, etc.) kicking in? Hell didn’t we just get done renovating this place? Where’s the fiscal accountability for that renovation? We’re just going to trash all that?

40. UKBlue
    5:44 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

I think they need to have a huge video screen outside that shows the game for the people hangout around Rupp, the stream & amphitheater.

41. MonsterMash24
    2:09 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I say why wait??? Lets do this now, i wanna see the new look!!! Before and after…should be better than yum center too.