Rupp Arena’s Floor has BBM News and Views

Since Joe B. Hall started Big Blue Madness 30 years ago, the event has matured and been revolutionized many times over. You never know what Coach Cal is going to do next, and it makes me wonder if he can ever one-up his previous self. Cal has once again gone above and beyond. This year Rupp Arena’s floor turned into a 92 foot screen as the team was introduced during Big Blue Madness. The video made every member of #BBN proud, while simultaneously bringing out the child in most of us. I could feel my eyes getting wide and my jaw drop as Rupp’s floor was electrified.  It truly epitomizes how the stage should be, for the nation’s greatest college basketball program. The intro video mentioned may be found below.

– Cal’s family philosophy once again brought former UK greats back to center stage in Lexington. In celebration of the collection of another National Championship banner, Coach Cal invited members of previous National Championship teams to help him “re-raise” the banners. Wah Wah Jones, Cliff Hagan, Vernon Hatton, Adrian Smith, Kyle Macy, Jack ‘Goose’ Givens, Joe B. Hall, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, and Jeff Sheppard all took the court to participate in every UK fan’s utopia.

National Champions re-raise UK’s 8 banners. (h/t Ally Tucker)

– This team deserves a reality show (it’s funny because they’re actually getting one!). Not only do two of them have phenomenal flat tops, but most of them have dance moves that could help them star in a new “Step Up” movie. From best to worst performances: Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, Nerlens, Alex Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer, and”WC” Will Cauley-Stein. I’m sorry but WC still doesn’t have the flow down, even though Wiltjer is 0full of ridiculousness. Cal began his speech by saying, “If we’re in a dance contest, we’re winning.”

– While the scrimmage is something that tells us nothing very important from what the team will actually look like I think there are a few things we can all agree on. 1. Kyle Wiltjer knows how to score and is a lot better than we thought. 2. Ryan Harrow is an absolute freak, that will do everything but be Mr. Trey Ball. 3. WCS and Nerlens will be a legendary duo in the frontcourt.

– Matthew Mitchell is hilarious. Took a look for yourself.

– In other news, the football team plays tomorrow. I know you don’t want to hear it but it’s true. The Cats will be limping into the 7:00 kickoff in Fayetteville, Arkansas tomorrow with 23 of the 30 defensively player being Freshmen or Sophomores. If you want more evidence, RS Fr. WR Daryl Collins and Fr. P Landon Foster have been named team captains for the game. Needless to say this team is young.

– Jalen Whitlow has had a week to get quicker. Not with his feet, rather with his decision-making. Coach Randy Sanders commented this week on the necessity to get the ball out of his hands quicker. The offensive line has given up more sacks in recent weeks, with the the “fresh meat” being put to blame. Despite it being an SEC-road game, Arkansas isn’t typical Arkansas. Confidence from Jalen Whitlow and a quick-release could get the Cats’ offense back into shape for the first time since the departure of Max Smith.

– More Midnight Madness Coverage in the morning, until then may your dreams be forever blue.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

35 Comments for Rupp Arena’s Floor has BBM News and Views

1. jo
    11:10 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

Anyone know where to see the recruitment video they showed at the end? My laptop went dead watching espn3 at the end of the scrimmage.

2. FakeRealDrPhilStihl
    11:15 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

It might be my imagination but I don’t see the megaphone monstrosities that haunts us still today . Please oh merciful Lord let thus be thy will and let thus be permanent. Go cats. Amen.

3. Wildcat3331
    11:18 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

Collins is a Redshirt Freshman

4. Dave Ball
    11:37 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

at Syracuse they have a dunk contest and an early finish to the evening as a fight breaks out and a stabbing takes place…at Kentucky 5 generations of champions on the floor at the same time, an NBA All-Star feeling introduction, and an entertaining half scrimmage…and ESPN is covering the Syracuse venue more…wise…guess UK can’t have all the face time…

5. bsquared
    11:43 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

just a thought but has anyone noticed that the big12 has 10 teams the big 10 has 12 teams and we all know the story with the big east

6. Han
    11:46 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

That floor-as-screen was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Whoever came up with that (whether for us or if we copied someone else) is brilliant.

1) I hope to see it too. TV cut away.

4) The video of our floor as screen will show up on ESPN, I’m sure.

7. ukfan
    11:47 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

Holograms next year??

8. Han
    11:49 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

Also, after seeing that on the floor, anything the recruits there see on other visits is gonna be nothing.

9. Ukato80
    11:50 pm October 12, 2012 Permalink

watched in Louisville. IMG is a large company, with the worst equipment. UK needs to insist they upgrade.

10. FakeRealDrPhilStihl
    12:03 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

UK has had horrible tech equipment forever. That’s the type of simple thing that leads fans to believe they do just enough to get by. I hate to admit that I can see that point of view as well. But they did improve by leaps and bounds so im optimistic. Go cats.

11. crackerhillbilly
    12:05 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

How in the hell can a school produce such an outstanding basketball product and yet produce absolute SHIT for football? I could care less if the hapless football Cats beat an awful John L. coached Arkansas team tomorrow. We suck at football. There is no excuse – hear that Brainfart?

12. Yo Yo Ma
    12:13 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been ready for bball since April. It’s here and stuff…woot.

13. Duke Sucks
    12:32 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

I look for Joker to leave with in the next 2 weeks. Now that the basketball season is starting he will be let go. This will keep the bad press to a minimum. #11 I agree with you about the football program but after watching tonight it’s a little hard to blame Barnhart. The UK hoops is almost ready to crack into the elite range. The volleyball team had a big crowd. It seems every sport is better except football. That seems to be more Joker then Barnhart. We don’t have facilities of Bama but we are on par with the middle SEC schools, and that is where we should be in wins also.

14. Nutsacc in Long Beach
    12:38 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

The only other football post I want to see this season is the one announcing Joker’s gone!!

15. SeaCat
    12:41 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Cal is a genius!!!

16. Nutsacc in Long Beach
    12:47 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

@15 I agree Cal is a genius and I am so glad he is OUR coach….Cal and UK are a match made in heaven!! Since Cal came to UK, it seems as if Ole Roy, coach K and Bill Self don’t shine as brightly as they once did and I love it!!

17. Glasgow Booster
    12:53 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Tonight was awesome to be at. I hope the energy came across on TV. After the dismal football we have had, Basketball is a breath of fresh air. Cal is sent from God.

18. FakeRealDrPhilStihl
    1:16 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Jumbotron! If. We pray hard enough UK will finally hear the laughter of their own fans covering up their shame and despair over the sad outdated speakers and honeycombed joke. If I have to look at that white piece of shite one more f’@#!in game I may … if UK only knew how frustrated I am on just this one tiny little aspect of the programs image, they woukd burn that speaker and charge 500 Dollars to piss on it to put it out….I would pay…that’s how pathetic that monster is. Its our image to the [email protected]#! In world….UK acts like no-one else can see that…I cannot express how cheap that makes us look…I would pay half a g to piss on that thing…even if I had to stand outside inline for a week.

19. bigredbleedsblue
    1:28 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

How do you really feal 18? Don’t hold back. I mean it’s speakers! A pretty great night in Rupp, sure hope our parade didn’t ruin your rain!

20. DaveUK
    2:31 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Actually that’s a 94 foot screen Nick! Don’t short change us now… This BBM had some great energy, and it was a packed house for sure! I’m so ready to get this season underway. Go CATS!

21. BrassowFan
    3:02 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

That was one of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen. Coach Calipari clearly understands that the work performed off the court pays HUGE dividends when it comes to the players that he brings onto the court. Pure genius! It’s a great time to be a UK fan!

22. Nutsacc in Long Beach
    3:22 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

I agree that Cal does all the little things that really pay off when it comes to recruiting…he is a genius…..Can’t wait for the season to start…Go Big Blue!!

23. Nutsacc in Long Beach
    3:36 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Bill Self says Kansas just ran out of time last season, Kentucky didn’t beat them…what a clown. I can’t believe he said that with a straight face.

24. WOw
    6:19 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Boy Cal, is the greatest to come up with that video projection on the floor thing. First time ever done. Now everey school and pro team will do this the Kentucky effect or better yet the CALIPARI effect. Heard he’s working on the cure for cancer .

25. Doc Holiday
    7:04 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Alex P is a MONSTAR!!!!!!

26. Dacci
    7:29 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Alex Poythress plays and dunks the ball like it stole his girlfriend. The kid is an absolute bull!

27. SeaCat
    8:30 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Alex P is taller than 6′ 7″
    I think he is pushing 6′ 9″

28. Breaking Wojo
    8:33 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

24. Just a guess, I bet your coach is working on a cure for VD.

29. just saying
    8:51 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Wiltjer shows a ton of offensive growth, Harrow can hop, WCS is big and fast, Poythress is a monster and Goodwin is extremely smooth. I am excited, but Noel looks like a project at this point. There were several times where 9 guys were fighting for a rebound and Noel was standing under the goal on the other end, and Polson scored 3 layups on Noels block attempts. Not to mention getting posterized by WCS.

30. jpb
    8:51 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

My only addition to last night would have been if Cal said he wanted someone from the 2012 championship team to be introduced, but they are all playing in the NBA tonight and couldn’t make it. That would have been awesome.

31. Matt
    9:20 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Providing the court is 94 x 50, the screen size is actually 106.47 feet. You need to measure the hypotenuse of the court to get screen size. Just sayin’.

32. MN CAT
    9:31 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

How tall is Noel? He always looks shorter to me than advertised? Doesn’t mean he can’t play, of course.

33. catzilla
    9:46 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

29…..Noel does need a lot of work, but he will be a great asset by years end.. Shabazz hands down was the better of the two in my opinion on a national basis. Things will work out…no worries!

34. B.KNIGHT
    10:06 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Will you please forgive BBN ?

35. kfund
    11:25 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I hope they use that intro on the floor at all home games.