Rupp Arena ruins friendly conversation

oldpeople

A friend of mine cut out this letter to the editor in the Herald-Leader (it’s a newspaper) today and passed it on to me.  It pretty much sums up what’s wrong with fans in the lower level of Rupp Arena.  Warning: it’s very embarrassing to BBN and college basketball as a whole…

(To protect the identity of the writer, we’ll call him “MatlockFan1920”)

UK games too loud

It had been some years since I was fortunate enough to attend a University of Kentucky basketball game, until the University of Pennsylvannia visited earlier this month.

Arriving 30 minutes before the game, I was attacked by the exceptionally loud music coming from the umpteen speakers in the ceiling. It was constant. I found it impossible to carry on a conversation without shouting.

Is this extreme volume necessary to entertain the fans? For people who go to game after game, this loudness has to have some serious effect on their hearing. Even during timeouts and TV breaks, the noise was extreme. Someone must take charge and solve the extreme volume issue for the health and comfort of the people who pay the bills.

I completely agree with this concerned fan.  Here are a few other recommendations:

— Prune juice and Fig Newton combo meal at concession stands

— LifeAlert battery charging stations

— 3:30 pm tip-off

— Depends changing stations in restrooms

— AARP discounted tickets

— Nap time

— Sand down aisles and walkways (less resistance on the tennis balls)

— Remove the three-point line

I hope this encourages everyone to be even louder tomorrow.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

144 Comments for Rupp Arena ruins friendly conversation

1. UKBigDaddy
    3:06 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

funny…

2. Lando CALrisian
    3:07 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

hahahahahahahahahahahha

3. DoubleZeroMostel
    3:07 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

What’s wrong with having some nice Glenn Miller Orchestra music playing at reasonable volume?

4. blue beard
    3:09 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

wow… just…. wow.

5. Fred Bread
    3:09 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

IF ITS TOO LOUD, THEN YOURE TOO OLD!!!

6. louisville rocks
    3:09 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

seriously, rupp arena isn’t even that intimidating to play in. Half of the blue in the stands is from the lower arena’s hair.

7. TBone
    3:09 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Drew I’m going to need you clean the Dr. P I just spewed all over my windshield.

Funniest commentary of 2011. Well done sir.

8. Easy
    3:09 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Shame on you Drew, do you think you’ll never get old ? Well maybe not .

9. knightynight
    3:10 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

trolldar, trolldar, troll troll troll troll

10. Jake
    3:13 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

3:30pm would be right in the middle of dinner time.

11. 78 NCAA Champions
    3:13 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

What a great idea, nothing is more intimidating to opposing teams than a nice quiet arena. Good Grief!!

12. icecreampaintjob
    3:13 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

we need to get the old farts off the lower level and at home in the lazy boy

13. Dave_in_Oldham
    3:14 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Beware Drew, you will be old too one day. And, your comments will come back to bite you in the a$$. That said, I agree with you.

14. thebluevirus
    3:15 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

mabey well can talk the blue hairs in to going to the yum center where rick can give 15 seconds of quite pleaser.

15. Drew Franklin
    3:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

13. – You might be the only person who thinks I’ll make it past 30.

16. truBLU
    3:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I L(‘d)MAO at this and started to ROTF whilst L. Then I SMH because I was at work. BRB.

17. ukfan
    3:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

i hate old people!!

18. Wildcat09
    3:17 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Students need to be around the lower level. The erupption zone is great, but why not give them to the students for the first 10 rows and create the buzz of college basketball like Duke does.

19. facetious
    3:17 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Hay 14 eye liek the way ewe tipe.

20. meistro
    3:17 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Are you freaking kidding me!!!!

21. Dragonophile
    3:18 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

While I generally agree with you, I think they are not complaining about the crowd noise but the music from the speakers. Perhaps they were too close to speakers or speakers were aimed at them. But to expect to be able to have a normal conversation during a basketball game probably means they should be at home watching the game with a volume control in their hands.

22. thebluevirus
    3:19 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

18 amen

23. darryl isaac
    3:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Another suggestion please sell ben gay at concession stands and also show clips of old western movies at half time. thank you. remember this is for my health.

24. Middle Toe
    3:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Nicely done sir.

25. BigBlueBrock
    3:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Drew may not live past 30, but his eyebrows will go on to live long, productive lives.

Also, the solution to getting rid of the old people complaining about the noise is to build a new arena with suites and put them in there.

26. Boydcat
    3:21 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

They could always just turn down their hearing aids.

27. GODSAZNO
    3:21 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The problem is the sound system. It’s about as legible as your neighbors stereo 3 doors down.

28. too loud??
    3:22 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Too loud?? R u KIDDIN me??

29. Epps2Shep
    3:23 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The dunk shot is problematic. Something must be done. I fear for the future of this game.

30. LansingCat
    3:24 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I’ll bet you this person wouldn’t have written this had Lawrence Welk been playing on those speakers.

31. MatlockFan1920
    3:24 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I am as lame as they come!

32. UKFanInCiny
    3:25 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Come on… Grow some.

33. tom5673
    3:28 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

for years, the lower level rupp crowd has been awful. the true fans and students are either in the rafters or in the “eRupption” zone (i just blushed writing that). if and when they build the new arena, i hope they give the students an area to stand and get rowdy along the sideline across from the benches. like duke, florida, michigan st., etc. we have the most passionate, loyal fans in the country…put them where they belong. the old money can still sit in luxury just above the students in their own private section with private bathrooms and concession areas. that’s pretty standard for new stadiums and arenas these days. teams should fear coming to rupp…instead, they usually shoot the lights out because let’s face it, they’ve had about as much practice time shooting on those rims as our team has.

34. MikeinLex
    3:30 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Are you fn kidding me? Somebody euthanize this guy, because he’s already dead.

35. Dallas Winston
    3:30 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I agree with Matlock! I come to games to talk and socialize, and what’s worse than the music is the CHEERING! It’s just a 3-pointer can’t you people all just SHUT UP? GAW!

36. mudcat
    3:30 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I am going to go home and smack my grandmother!

37. NewWildcatOrder
    3:32 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Someone could have fallen asleep in Rupp on Tuesday night it was so quiet. That’s no lie.

As for this grumpy person who wrote into the Herald Leader, please don’t go to Oregon’s new basketball arena, you might have a stroke.

38. Kernel Sanders
    3:32 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#21-correct. You’re right, the complaint is about the sound system (which is about as lo fi as they come), not fans cheering or clapping or shouting. The letter mentioned “exceptionally loud music”. To be fair to the letter writer, I’m betting most of you busting on him/her have never been to a game at Rupp to form an opinion one way or the other…

39. old-school
    3:32 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

While I disagree with the notion that Rupp needs to be a somber place – to attack an entire generation is a bit too much – especially being that it was probably that generation that fought and won WWII, Korea, etc.

A little respect from younger people toward the gray haired sect is in order.

Next time you’re so quick to make a joke, take a second and consider what this elderly gentleman may have been doing at your age – maybe something trivial like storming a beach, applying direct preassure to a fallen soldier’s bleeding chest, or writing a farewell note home to his sweetheart hoping it would never have to be sent.

Not trying to be overly serious here – but I do think those of us under 45 should have a bit more respect for those older than us.

Again – make Rupp loud – but don’t feel like you have a license to be so harsh to an entire generation.

40. Goode
    3:35 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

36 – I dont know what is worse, you writing that or me laughing

41. david blincoe
    3:35 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

sad looking pic. but i have been to rupp and during the game it is whisper quite. not a place to scare opposing teams.

42. djcat
    3:36 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Maybe we could play some nice calm elevator music?

43. Geez
    3:39 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

…and this person, being that they attend a game once a decade (quote: “it had been some years”) are not even one of those people “paying the bills” as they used to rationalize this request for action.

Stay at home meatball!

44. TheHoff
    3:41 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I like the “…for the health and comfort of the people who pay the bills.” yet it’s their ‘first game in years’ and I highly doubt the box office seats they picked up at the door for powerhouse Penn were highly priced. The music has to be that loud so the players don’t have to listen to mamaw talk to her friend about the hand knit sweater she made. before the game is about the players during shoot around, not you. Go back to the Hyatt bar like every other drunk (including me) and rush in before the intros.

45. Richard Girth
    3:41 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

that was one of the funnier things i’ve read on here in a while, nicely done

46. Pawpaw
    3:42 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Ridiculous. Funny ass post though Franklin!!!

47. CvilleWildcat
    3:42 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Funny!!! Just for that, I think I’ll vote for ya!

48. HAHA
    3:43 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Wouldn’t she have to yell in the first place so her friend can hear her?

49. Geez
    3:43 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I’m guessing this dude/dudette is also a big fan of Jerry Tipton.

50. JF
    3:44 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Am I the only one that reads that letter and sees it dripping in satire? I think the writer is on your side, and was just calling attention to the issue in the most ridiculous manner possible. KSR has been out-KSR’d.

51. shadowboxer
    3:45 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

39 – You are devoid of anything that resembles a sense of humor. WWII? Korea? Bleeding chests? Normandy? I can’t believe how one could possibly inject that into this post. Dude, you must be a lot of fun to be around. By fun, I mean intolerable.

52. darryl isaac
    3:45 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Tyler got vote yesterday, today you get my vote drew

53. Champ
    3:45 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

39 Thanks for the buzzkill

54. TheHoff
    3:46 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#39, I don’t think it’s about a generation… it’s about being a tool. if you complain about noise at a sporting event, young or old, you should be beaten with a rubber hose…. (not literally beaten, that would be a crime, but you get the point)

55. BlueFins
    3:49 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#5 was thinking the same. These folks don’t realize that we have to play the music load to create an atmosphere, a lot like standing and clapping, cheering, chanting, maybe even a few verbal barrages. The music is the only noise coming out of the lower arena (other than eRupption zone)!
    3:30 won’t work because they couldn’t be in line at Blue Boar at 4 pm for the senior special.

56. LawarenceTheWelk
    3:50 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

A show is not a show without a bubble-making machine.
    Now, a ONEa and a TWOa…

57. bosshogg24
    3:51 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Rupp arena was so quiet Tuesday you could have heard a mouse in a trash can. It was embarrassing watching it on tv. It is the wrong place to go to read a book, take a nap or do your knitting. Come alive people!

58. Capnmonkey
    3:51 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I was a little shocked at the noise and excitement in Georgia’s arena during the game, blows away what Rupp sounds like (at least on TV, maybe it’s different there?)

59. Dirty Old Man
    3:53 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Easy on the old people bashing.

The majority of you are the sons and daughters of once upon-a-time hippies. Very possibly conceived under the sonic vibes of some very loud music.

This old man says turn it up.

60. Dirty Old Man
    3:54 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Dirty old men are people too.

We have feelings.

61. old-school
    3:55 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

You can be critical about the letter without disrespecting an entire generation.

America has lost much of it’s civility in recent years and it’s not just political – but general conversations turn into attacks on groups of people and it’s deemed appropriate as long as it’s tainted with humor.

I’m not trying to buzzkill anything. I’m just suggesting that havign a little respect for a generation that endured so much is not a bad thing and you can criticize a letter and even long for more noise at Rupp without all the jokes about older folks.

62. big blue
    3:55 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

How about selling beer at the game? Thoughts?

63. UK Student n Fan
    3:56 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

GO TO THE GAME AND RAISE HELL! It’s a huge factor in big games, I also think we should try to change SEC rules on the alcohol situaiton. I read on here that some small school was going to have $1 beers for a rivalry game. Could you imagine the atmosphere in Rupp If there were $1 beers at the concession stands! The crowd can completely change the turnout of a closely hard-fought game, and we have none of that at Rupp. At the same time we have the best fan base in the world, MAKE SOME NOISE PPL! WE NEED IT WITH THIS YOUNG TEAM!

64. CallerfromLexington
    3:57 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

1.) The letter write did not mention anything about the fans being too loud when they cheer for 3-pointers

2.) The letter write is clearly only complaining about a crappy sound system being turned up too loud

3.) If Rupp needs loud music from a crappy sound system in order to create “atmosphere” then it means we suck

4.) The letter write is actually right.

65. WildCobbSalad
    3:57 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Also no dunking! Bring back the Lew Alcindor rule!

66. Upper Section Student
    3:58 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

They should sell bowls of brown beans and fried potatoes at concessions. Also, have black coffee and microwaved BLT’s as a complementary gift at the door.

67. emmertsucks
    3:58 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Hey the loud music is down and the lower arena stands up and cheers when Lee and Patsy do their little dog and pony show with the diversity divas the first time out every game.

68. HoundDog
    3:58 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

What a dope!!!!!!

69. Munce
    4:02 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

My only wish is Rupp to be louder I was at the East Tenn. St. game and there to many old ppl there Rupp looked like a rest home.Look at other arenas there always full of loud student Rupp needs bigger Student Section

70. OLD PEOPLE SUCK
    4:02 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Get them all out of their lower level seats- I hate to ever reference Duke, but they got it right. No bullshit old people in the first 20 rows. Make them all student bleachers. Hell, if UK had to they should buy out any season ticket holder. The investement would be worth it in the long run!

71. matfug
    4:05 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

omg are you kidding me?? this cannot be real!! i dont get to go to too many basket ball games because the old people with money have them all, but the games i do get to go to, are so quiet…its like a breathing grave yard! i dont see why people are so scared to play at Rupp. i am 37 years old, and i still get chills every time i walk into Rupp, i still get a certain feeling of pride when i look at the banners and jerseys hanging from the rafters. i have friends who live elsewhere and do not understand that feeling i talk about. it really is disappointing to see all the OLD money sitting in the lower level, they are talking about everything but basket ball, they dont EVER stand and cheer for UK. i was fortunate enough once to get a friends tickets, he lives next door to mitch barnhart, so needless to say he has floor seats, i was able to park in the cox street lot, and go thru the back door, walk the blue carpet, into a buffet area, where tons of old players and coaches were eating and talking sports, i took my 10 year old son, this was his 1st bball game ever. he was in awe, well we sit in our floor seats, and were cheering as loud as we could, the look on the OLD peoples faces were one of anger and fear, you would have thought i spit in someones face, they were telling me to sit down ,they couldnt see. i was in total shock. the first time i get to sit on the floor, and my sons first game, and these OLD farts dont even cheer for their team, now i understand UK needs that OLD money but come on, can we please let FANs, real FANS sit on the floor, so the team can actually get motivated to play and the 6th man could come into play, that may actually help our team. it also makes me sick watching games on TV and the camera pans around and see OLD fans sitting around making grocery list out and knitting….please UK help us out, take these people off the floor!! put real fans on the floor so Rupp will be a tough place to play…..

72. Cubbiesfan05
    4:06 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I was in the student athletic council in my college days (late 90’s and yes it was called SAC). We were the ones who passed out the 3 cards and so forth. We got the first few rows of section 33 to the left of the band for every game with season ticket holders right behind us. We stood for the entire game of course and not a half went by where the older people behind us weren’t screaming for us to sit down. They would cuss at us, and on a few occasions they would throw things at us all the while proclaiming “We paid good money for these seats”…….awful

73. Dirty Old Man
    4:06 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

From one dirty old man to you future dirty old men,

There is only one difference between the dirty old man that I am and the young pervert that you are.

Age.

It is your destiny.

74. Cubbiesfan05
    4:12 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#71 it’s just as bad to watch a game on tv these days and see the fans right behind the bench with their face glued to their iphones, texting or playing on freaking facebook the WHOLE game, not even paying attention to the court. Give THOSE seats to someone who wants to be there.

75. James K. Polk
    4:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I have an idea.

Let’s build a new arena. But let’s keep Rupp where it is, fully intact. We’ll play the games at the new arena, but not tell the blue-hairs, who will continue to watch games at the old Rupp. How you ask?

The blue-hairs will be distracted by some of Drew’s great additions to the current Rupp (I also suggest a guy walking around peddling cups of “Ensure” in lieu of sodas). To ensure (no pun intended) that they think they are watching a UK basketball game, we’ll simply hire the 1996 team, all of whom (particularly Antoine Walker) probably need some extra dough, to play games against various semi-pro teams clad in the jerseys of other SEC schools. The fact that these players are old and now probably fairly slow will not concern the blue-haired fans, as it will just enhance the experience for them and provide “basketball the way it should be played.”

Extras to fill the upper arena will be a collection of hobos and drifters lured in by the combination of free Zima, Lexmark Printers, and Eddie Montgomery Steakhouse gift certificates, all of which could be paid for through funds from the Equestrian Games. Former members of Lawrence Welk’s band and unemployed retreads from the mid-to-late-1990s Ska movement will be used to fill (and properly tone down) the pep band. Smooth jazz will be played on the speakers, and proper volumes.

Also, the temperature in old Rupp will be turned up to a comfortably 89 degrees.

They’ll be so moved by the newly comfortable surroundings in this geriatric-friendly version of Rupp that they won’t even notice that Tony Delk is still somehow playing for UK. And the new arena will have all the excitement and life it’s never had before.

Just a modest proposal.

76. Riley Foster
    4:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

my grandma punched me in the head when i sat down at one game, she told me i needed to be standing up and hootin and hollarin at the opposing team and getting the CATS all riled up, ever since that i go absolutely insane at games and get yelled at all the time for standing and cheering loudly

77. Dukehater
    4:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Attention old people who are UK fans: We are sick of you. Shut your pissing an moaning and give up your seats to real fans already. You stink of Ben-Gay and look like the Crypt Keeper. You sit on your Depends and don’t cheer for your team. My cousin and I went to a game a few years back and had lower level seats. A great play happened and we jumped up and cheered and pumped our fists. Two old men behind us told us to “Sit down and shut up!” Of course we didn’t. The old man called an usher over who also happened to be an old worn out piece of crap and the usher told us that if we didn’t keep it down we would be asked to leave. Are you serious? I told the old man behind me he was a disgrace to the UK program and all he was good for was his money to the program. He said back to me “Money is why I get these seats and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Well, kicking his false teeth in could be a start. This is why we need an on campus arena. Move the old people to box seats and let the students sit near the floor. Coach Cal has the leverage. I would not be surprised if this happens one day. Then we kick those stupid blue haired douche bags out of those seats.

78. repairthisthing
    4:20 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Their complaint is more an indication of the “dumbing down” of our society. Society is largely so stupid that we have to be constantly entertained with shiny objects and loud, crappy house music. No longer can we simply enjoy a game on its own merits, but we have to be blasted with idiotic techno music during each timeout, and told to “make some noise”. By all means, scream as much as you want during a game, but do we have to be bombarded constantly in a sonic assault of crappy, unnecessarily loud music. Unfortunately, NBA games are even worse.

Now, you kids get off my lawn before I turn on the sprinklers.

79. starchief5
    4:22 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Old fart here. At sporting events, the louder the better. Give the lower seats to the young.

I have to say however that I have seen a definite decline in the level of respect for older people in my lifetime. I don’t believe it used to be this bad but I could be just idealizing the past.

Here’s what I do know for CERTAIN and from experience. If you live long enough you are going to be JUST LIKE the old farts that disgust you today, attitude and all.
    Sorry, but it’s true.

Maybe there is no such thing as karma for being vocally disrespectful and you won’t get mugged on the street and lose your Social Security money. I wouldn’t count on it though.

Hmmm … what was I saying? I forget.

80. What a joke
    4:29 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#77, amen and well said.

81. matfug
    4:29 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#74 i agree totally the people texting and doing everything but cheering get on my nerves. come on people have some freaking pride…put REAL fans on the floor. just because you have money doesnt mean your a real fan….stand your lazy ass up and cheer, its only 2 hours. blow the lid off Rupp….get those old people off the floor put them on the mid levels, just maybe make their bathrooms nicer or something so they wont bitch about being moved…i mean fine if you got money and you want the best seats,but damn, get up and act like you love your team, and your happy to be there….i know so many people who would kill to be in your spot. i dont ever get to go to games because the only seats to be had, (if im lucky) is in the rafters with the jerseys, which im happy to take if i can even get them. my only hope is when/if UK gets a new arena, they put lots of club seating so the old farts can sit in their recliners and watch the game, and us real fans can cheer on our CATS…..

82. old-school
    4:31 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

78- Agreed!!!!

I don’t mind a little music and some show – but to think that UK basketball has to sell out to pop culture in order to attract a following is silly.

83. brad
    4:36 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

this post was hilarious…nice job drew

84. rc
    4:36 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I hate how loud the music is at most sporting events. I don’t come to listen to music, I come to enjoy a ball game. I hope the fans are so loud my ears are ringing an hour after the game, but I absolutely hate the loud music as well.

85. enes
    4:39 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The original enes says: The crowd was louder when the band was allowed to play dixie. Bring it back!Beware the fake enes.

86. ShagOnSports
    4:39 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I once went to a game and sat in Joe B Halls seats… The people behind me tugged on my shirt and asked me to set down… I told them to stand up as this was the damn opera… Blue Hairs in Lower Arena Suck…

87. Beavis
    4:41 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

stop writing books on here, thats for the bloggers. nobody really gives a damn.

88. let'spausetensecondsforstationidentification
    4:47 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

@84 Then don’t go! You can enjoy the game by watching in in the quiet confines of your living room. That will free up a ticket for a fan like me who enjoys the music and atmosphere.

89. old-school
    4:47 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

87 – Many on here seem to be intimidated by anything more than two sentences and that doesn’t contain some crude comment about a female. I can’t imagine their reaction to having consider a whole book.

90. Tom Baker
    4:48 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I’m not that old and once, in the space of about a month, saw GnR, Metallica, and Nine Inch Nails and spent most of the day in the office today listening to the Dropkick Murphy’s latest live disc. But even I wonder why on earth a basketball game requires music every second at ear-splitting volume. I do, however, have a problem with those who show up at the 15 minute mark of the first half, leave at the 5 minute mark in the game, and complain about people who stand up in front of them. I was out of the country for the UL game and just watched it a few days ago. If UK ever gets an announcer like the tool they have at UL, I’m done. You don’t announce every freakin basket as if it was the national title game winner. Especially when you are getting your ass handed to you with 5 minutes remaining in the game.

91. Don
    4:55 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

They have Depends Changing Stations in Rupp Arena? Dam, I’ve been carrying those dam things in my rear pocket for years and hated it! Try sitting on one of those upper arena bench seats on 3 depends in your left rear pocket and see if you like it! I’m always the last to know about changes for the good!! Hot diggety dog!!

92. Beasman
    4:55 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Slacking 22 year old guys who still live with their parents suck. Slacking 22 year old guys can’t get tickets because they are slacking 22 year old “dudes.” Getting the highest level on “World of Warcraft” won’t get you basketball tickets. Her comments were directed to the ridiculous music played over the sound system. She’s right. Let the damn band play. That’s why we have one, isn’t it?

93. I Call John Wall At Night
    4:56 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

This is why Drew is the best blogger. Another fine post.

I guess since people can’t complain about the coach anymore they have nothing but loud music to complain about. The old guy probably can’t hear anyway so he just needs to stfu! Anyone else complaining about the noise should stay home and also stfu! Bunch of panzies!

94. Al's IndiCats
    5:01 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The heck with it….Just taze their blue haired asses and then they won’t even know the music’s going on

95. Overrated
    5:03 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

92. College pep bands suck anyway. They haven’t been needed since the invention of modern PA systems in arenas and stadiums.

96. starchief5
    5:05 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#77 Dukehater (and old people hater)

Parents beat you a lot when you were a kid? Good for them.

97. Jorge Pancho
    5:07 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I miss the days when the students would chant “SELL YOUR SEATS!” to the blue hairs as they would leave early in the 2nd half of games. These same people are about as vocal in church the next day, and I think their senility has their Saturday’s and Sunday’s confused. Those who merely wish to watch the game silently can stay at home and watch on TV. The rest of us are there to be partial, not impartial, and make a difference for the home team.

98. Joe
    5:08 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Went my first game this year. I’ve been to a couple NBA games and I thought they were very much blah. I was shocked and amazed at everything going on at a UK game! I loved it!

99. Joe
    5:08 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

97 – People were yelling sell your seats at the ETSU game I went to.

100. Sheeeiiiiit
    5:11 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Since we are getting so serious and political – looking at you old school. While I agree that senior citizens deserve our respect, I also see the point of the blog. To laugh. It was sarcasm! It’s one of the last true forms of free speech left. Being funny and telling jokes can be offensive and distasteful. But going around finding hidden meanings like an entire generation is lost….it’s too much man.

The point is not that old people suck and have always been useless. It is that the guy who criticized the noise at Rupp sucks and is useless. Useless to our team, Like quite a few of the older crowd. To the point that it has become a stereotype.

So I try to enjoy sarcasm and jokes, even about the heroic old people who gave me my freedom. Because why be free if you can’t laugh about old farts and yell your head off for your team. Yell right at them live for once at Rupp instead of looking like a phsyco screaming at the TV.

101. starchief5
    5:15 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#77 Duke(and old folks)hater

Parents beat you a lot when you were a kid? Good.

102. Al's IndiCats
    5:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The answer is simple….Mr. Tipton, don’t go to the games, you outtta placed pile of horse sh!t.

103. JimmyChitwood
    5:19 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

to (39)… stuff a sock in it.
    to (75)… absolutely awesome.

104. Dukehater
    5:31 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

#96 and #101

Actually yes, my father physically abused me and my siblings. What does that have to do with the topic? My wife also died in a car accident. You want to talk about that to you turd?

105. Jerimy
    5:36 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

probably get this deleted again, not sure why you wankers delete two of every three of my posts, i guess authority is good, eh?

Anyways, I suggest louder music and more screaming and shouting from everyone.

106. Kenny H
    5:39 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Can we only play half court so I don’t have to turn my head?

107. enes
    5:43 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The original enes says: If you want to see who the real BBN is watch the games in Maui and Alaska.You wont see many 22 year olds. Beware the fake enes.

108. Danny Stayvethan
    5:46 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Every home game i’ve seen on tv this year has been exactly the same. Every body in about the first 10-15 rows has this damn look on their face that pisses me off. the ol shot of bourbon face. I knew these older folks who were two rows behind uk bench and the whole game they just sit there like somebody forced them to drive 3hrs and watch the game.

109. TheNewOriginal
    5:47 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Agree with 64 “caller from Lexington”. Nobody likes loud music more than me. But loud through a bad sound system (like Rupp) is horribly offensive.

110. JOHN PUBLIC
    5:51 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Drew Franklin, may you die in HELL u arrogant, pompus bastard!

111. sethrob33
    6:08 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

FUNNIEST THING I HAVE READ ON THE INTERNET IN A LONG TIME

112. Blowb
    6:10 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Look at that goober in the blue hat on the right. LMAO

113. punk
    6:15 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

yeah, delete this one too. You are a punk, and I just hope to see you soon.

I WILL END YOU

114. upinya25
    6:16 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

i think they are confused..yes Rupp is a basketball cathedral, but not an actual cathedral

115. I'm 90
    6:31 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I’m 90 F#cking year’s old and if I tell your young perverted @ss to take a seat you better. I also use a stadium buddy

116. Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven!!!
    6:31 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t doubt the Herald Leader had one of their own write it in. Knowing their agenda and past.

My name says it all guys!

117. GARBAGE
    6:47 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The letter didn’t say anything about the cheering because THATS THE PROBLEM, THEY AREN’T CHEERING… So its not an issue. I’ve been ready to move the blue hairs for a while. The comment earlier about how “the guy paying the bills” attended his “first game in a while” was hysterical. I’m sick of hitting a big three pointer in a game, and then seeing an old lady in the background not even react! That’s the only problem I see!

118. UK MD
    6:57 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I went to the Penn game and it was literally the quietest crowd I’d seen in the 6 years that I’ve been attending games. Pathetic.

But they pay the bills.

119. Change my depends
    7:13 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

…no worries. They’ll be dead soon.

120. Bluehaired
    7:15 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

I keep on seeing the same garbage on this site about the old people giving up their seats… And that appears to be exactly what you want them to do. Nobody seems to be willing to buy a seat at $40 ( the face amount even without any addition for the mandatory K-Fund contribution)except for select games. I have had an extra ticket, four rows off the floor, for two of our Nov-Dec games and both times I have had young “fans” try to beat me down on price. Another thing I’d like to bring up is the Erupption Zone free throw antics. Why do they move their arms after the shot is released? BTI maybe you should look at visitors first half vs. second half free throw %.

121. RidgeRunner
    7:22 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Good article & it makes ya think.

Damn that ole lady been in the sun too long over the years. Skin as well as her expression looks like leather. Hey wait, thats Grandma!

122. Chestbeard
    7:30 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

61) dude, we all get old and I expect to be made fun of when I get there. Oh, and I am sure the greatest generation never poked fun at old people.

123. baddbeat
    7:55 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Are you people really that dense?!?! If the writer had been complaining about noise during the game I could understand some of the vitriol. Reread the letter you morons! They were complaining about the music being pumped in before the game. You dip-shits will take any opportunity, real or imagined, to attack those gawd awful “Blue Hairs”. Give me a break!

124. baddbeat
    7:56 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

121, No “the greatest generation (as well as mine) grew up in a time when it was considered WRONG to disrespect your elders. You morons could learn a thing or two.

125. Damnnnn
    8:56 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

You guys are going overboard with the disrespect accusations. Any person from any generation can show respect. People from the 40s and 50s don’t own a monopoly on respecting others.

If the older fans would cheer more this wouldn’t be an issue. Yes UK NEEDS our older fans, they are part of the history and tradition. We also want an environment that other teams fear so we can win all our home games. But those speakers do suck.

126. GhostofBearBryant
    9:44 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

Why don’t you just take those very loud loudspeakers in Rupp and move them to Commonwealth Stadium. They will likely perform much better than the system they have there that was likely taken from Memorial Coliseum

127. bigbluegirl
    10:24 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

It’s a shame to see the lifelessness in Rupp (excluding some rival games). I’ve been there a few times (always in the rafters) and other than the historical aura radiating from the building, it’s dull as hell. I would love to be in the lower part of the arena for once, but even if I did have the money, I would not be allowed to stand and cheer to my heart’s content without getting yelled out. I respect the elderly, but what the hell’s the point in coming to a game if you aren’t willing to help the team out? Cameron indoor holds only a fraction of what Rupp holds and yet their fans make it one of the most intimidating places to play because they care enough to be ACTIVE.

As for the music issue…well, the crowd certainly does a piss poor job of getting the players amped up. They have to have SOMETHING to give them energy. If we’re going to be called the greatest fanbase in college basketball, we should be living up to it in ALL aspects. What’s the use of buying tickets or traveling to here or there if you don’t make your presence known?

128. PIX2CLICK
    11:53 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

==== Drew Franklin is obviously a nit! I’m 63 and would love a chance to tell him face to face what I think of his opinions !

I hope he has a chance to live to see my age, he will sing a different tune!

====

129. thisnicknamestinks!
    11:59 pm January 14, 2011 Permalink

The section I am in barely stand up for the fight song it really is pathetic most of the time.

The smell of ben-gay and in the air makes me think of….victory

130. UKSoCal
    1:42 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

None of the criticisms here have anything to do with the letter…

131. Sooooo
    3:12 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

Dammit, I’m 25, I say “yes, sir” and “no, ma’am” to anyone more than a year older than me, and I abhor the way that the elderly fans behave in the lower arena. Sell your damn seats, let people my age make some noise in them, and then maybe the team will be energized enough to make the loud music unnecessary.

132. 4th and 2
    7:44 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

Is that Bush Senior?

133. UK mascot in Louisville
    8:04 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

The person who wrote this article needs to go to a game at dumb, I mean Yum center or papa johns and then they will see that The volume from the speakers at Rupp is nothing. The ghetto music that is played so loud that you can’t hear cheering there is ridiculous.

I could care less about the music in Rupp but I agree with almost everyone else on here, put students and passionate fans in the lower level.

As the Wildcat during tubby’s last two years and BG’s first year, nothing annoyed me more than old people making zero noise when the opposing team was shooting free throws in the second half. I’m not asking you to stand the entire game but GEEZ is it that hard to stand up and make some noise?!? Support your team and QUIT leaving the freaking game EARLY!!!! GO CATS!!!

134. drthunder
    8:23 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

I was at the UNC game when Tayshaun hit 5 threes in a row to open the game. It was deafening and awesome. The old guy behind me sitting down said, “I can’t see! Sit down!” I replied, “Sir, Prince just hit five 3’s in a row against North Carolina. If you can’t get off your *** for that, you don’t deserve to see it.”

135. PIX2CLICK
    8:36 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

136. Lou eaton
    8:59 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

Here is a surprise for some of you. Guess what? Your opinion will change like a rocket once you reach age 50-60!!! Lower decimals occasionally should be welcomed by everyone…

137. bball fan
    10:15 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

besides the ul games, been to two, i have been to four other games against sec opponents and it is quiet as can be. i think its because uk is usually blowing out weak competition in the sec in bball. play some good teams and you will see the noise go up. i know its just the nature of it but what else can you do. IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY GREAT BASKETBALL IN THE BEST ENVIRONMENT GO TO A BIG EAST GAME IN YUM CENTER. i know you won this year there but seriously it is a much better crowd. more teeth also

138. Granny's Homemade Butt Pump
    10:23 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

I think they should do away with the replays on the big screens and just show silent movies on them during the game so people will actually have something to watch while they’re there. Also, they need to stop doing the half court shots at halftime to win trucks. It should be replaced by shuffleboard and give away Lincoln Town Cars and Ford Crown Vics. You know, stuff old people actually drive. And as for the music, I am all for turning it down, or even off, whatever you have to do so I don’t have to listen to that God-awful cheering some other the younger fans like to do. Just drown that out with music if need be. I come to Rupp to talk and sleep and its getting harder and harder to do either one nowadays. Sincerely, Milton Wallace

139. Tomlinsneighbor
    10:39 am January 15, 2011 Permalink

Grow up and learn a little respect.. If you’re lucky, you’ll be old someday yourself and will have been successful enough in life that you can sit in the good seats……..

140. UKSoCal
    12:25 pm January 15, 2011 Permalink

If the yum center is such a good environment, why did Pitino just have to turn around to try to get the crowd into the game when they’re down 9 to Marquette?

141. kywoman
    3:26 pm January 15, 2011 Permalink

So here is what is just as irrating. Sorority Susie and her boyfriend show up 5 minutes into the game. She is wearing Ugg Boots, a mini skirt, tight sweater, no coat (in Mid January), hair long and stringy and she is on her cell phone. He is wearing jeans, a button down oxford shirt and is moving slowly due to his hangover. They get settled in their seats and she proceeds to text throughout the next 10 minutes until she decides she wants boyfriend to get her Nachos and a biggie size Coke, which I assume is breakfast. There is no cheering, no clapping and she continues to text and eat with no reference to the game. Boyfriend continues to be in a daze. Before halftime they leave to go meet up with some buddies they have just connected with on Facebook. Sometimes they return well into the second half and repeat the behavior noted in the first half, without the munchies. Many times they do not return at all..which is fine with me.I now have a place to put my coat while I am cheering and yelling. Do not be so quick to throw the first stone Grasshopper.

142. kywoman
    3:26 pm January 15, 2011 Permalink

143. kywoman
    3:29 pm January 15, 2011 Permalink

Meant to add that the blog was hilarious..see we old farts can laugh at ourselves!!

144. Stumpy23
    5:05 pm January 15, 2011 Permalink

Actually, I find the blog offensive…..sorry, I just do…….