Royce White is still talking about Kentucky…

You remember Royce White, right? He was the player who provided a bit of a scare in Kentucky’s Round of 32 match-up with Iowa State in last year’s NCAA tournament. White came out swinging for the Cyclones, giving Kentucky quite a bit of trouble in the first half. In the end though, Kentucky was able to quiet White in the second half on the way to a 16-point win whomp. During the run in the first half when White was exerting his force on Kentucky’s big men, he was shown shouting “I’m the best player in the country.” In an interview with Bernard Goldberg in a Real Sports/Sports Illustrated collaboration, White discusses the anxiety issues that have kept him from playing for the NBA’s Houston Rockets. He also drops a few lines about Anthony Davis and Kentucky in the NCAA tournament.

Bernard Goldberg: Can I show you something from March madness?

Royce White: For sure.

Bernard Goldberg: You know how to hit play. Hit play.

Announcer: He steals the ball. And here he comes again.

Bernard Goldberg: What did you say there? (White shouting at Kentucky)

Royce White: I’m the best player in the country.

Bernard Goldberg: Did you think that at the time?

Royce White: I knew that at the time.

Bernard Goldberg: You dunked over Anthony Davis who was the number one pick.

Royce White: I abused him all game. I didn’t just dunk over him. I just abused their whole team all game.

I’m not exactly sure I would go as far as to say he abused Kentucky the whole game. But Rich Brooks says tomatoes, I say tomatoes. Royce White is facing a tough go-round trying to make his way successfully into life as a player in the NBA. His documented anxiety issues, specifically relating to traveling, have continued to hold him back. White is currently in a struggle with the NBA and the Rockets to create a “mental health protocol” to ensure his safety. The issue reached a tipping point on January 6th when White was suspended for failing to perform his contract.

Royce White is a very talented player. And I think I speak for most Kentucky fans when I say that we wish him the best and hope that he finds a way to make a career in the NBA work. But I do wish he would stop bringing up Kentucky.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

81 Comments for Royce White is still talking about Kentucky…

1. Jus Sayin
    1:05 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

This is strange coming from a guy who hasnt played a minute in the NBA and was outshined by Terrance Jones in the preseason and summer leaque games.

Send him to the looney bin.

2. Jorts
    1:07 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

If I get credit for abusing Sullinger, who had more points and rebounds than his season average, I’d have to say White did abuse the blue and white.

3. Carl
    1:07 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I feel bad about his mental issues but that doesn’t give him the right to be an ass-hole. Which is what he is. All his comments about the NBA are setting them up for a huge law suit from White. Most comments I’ve seen from others with anxiety issues say his comments are out of line.

4. Sullivan's Nutcap
    1:07 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I don’t wish him the best. He should be more respectful. I’d like to lock him in a room and make him watch the movie Airplane over and over. I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

5. SKat
    1:09 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I appreciate White’s basketball skills. I pray for his success with the demons that wrestle within. But . . . the young man needs to just shut his mouth. He has made some ridiculous comments that only paint him with a negative brush- for other players, coaches, NBA GM’s and fans.

6. putinrichie
    1:11 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce White’s mental issues clearly go beyond anxiety. He should really be hospitalized.

7. snoopaloop
    1:12 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

This dude is an arrogant prick. He thinks he is always the smartest guy in the room and thinks he is always right…. Hey Royce, remember that one time your team got the ass destroyed? How is that possible seeing as though they had you, the “best player in the country”, playing on their team? I don’t feel sorry for this douche whatsoever.

8. ARLO GIVENS
    1:19 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He ever think its possible that UK decided to let him get his points and shut down the rest of his team? Strategy taken by many coaches because there’s only so much one kid can score.
    Chris Bosh was a beast on the raptors…now he’s just ok because he’s on a team with “the best players” in the game. White would have been 3rd best on our team tops.

9. kywildcat
    1:20 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

he only talks about uk because he was asked about uk, lol

10. John H
    1:21 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

You know, generally when someone abuses a team for a whole game they wind up winning. Or at least keeping it within 15. When a guy seems to scream “Sure we lost, but I got mine!” I don’t exactly ache to have that guy on my team. Royce seems like a real jackass not just in this matter but in the way he played off his anxiety issues before the draft and made sure to get paid, and now won’t shut up about how the Rockets are mistreating him. There’s no question the Rockets would like that pick back, that’s for sure.

11. ARLO GIVENS
    1:21 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

#7- more arrogant than muscle dude in ad to right/left of your screen?

12. Crazy ole royce
    1:22 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He didnt abuse uk. Uk treated him like he was just another player, then shut him down he wasnt even on the scouting report we had 6 guys better then whyte, why would the focus on him, when as s team they couldnt last uk, ever. He never dunks on davis either, we letem go coast to coast once and it was ok case we didnt make a stupid foul, if u were lucky enough to get an uncontested shot then we let u have it not to foul, royce white is a NUTBALL LOONEY he beeds to quit reliving those moments cs uk and get in an airplane.

13. Eric K
    1:27 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Yea right! What about late in the second half of that game and the CATS are running them out of the gym and White is sitting on the bench with that look on his face like he was an WHIPPED BITCH!! What a wack job!! GO CATS!!

14. Coach
    1:27 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Hey Ally how about finding a new line of work, because you suck at this.

15. Yeah
    1:27 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Yes he was asked about UK but that didn’t mean he had to be a prick…He could have just said no comment but instead he likes to shoot his mouth off. I think he had a good game but he didn’t abuse our team…I think his mental issues run deeper than just anxiety, he is also a narcissist.

16. Some Guy in Kentucky
    1:29 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

UK women game will be shown today at 2pm est on ALTUD (Dish channel 410).

17. L1C4
    1:29 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

We abused UK!!!!!!

18. B.Hart
    1:30 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Funny how he wanted to be a wildcat, but couldn’t get on an airplane. He will be in a Sportscenter special 30/30, The Story of Royce White: Who Turned Ghost White when asked to Fly.

19. hmmm
    1:31 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

17) Syracuse abused you UofL doesnt have it. There are 10 teams as good as U of L.

20. Ville Cat
    1:33 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

How dumb does the Houston rockets look for drafting this guy. I get he has a mental illness but did they just think it was going to disappear once he signed an NBA contract.

21. Im the worlds greatest
    1:34 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce White is the number #1 Rated player according to Royce White. lol what a doosh

22. hmmm
    1:34 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Never mind, I am an idiot.

23. The Bank is Open
    1:36 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce White = RETARD

24. holler baller
    1:37 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what this guy says. He will never be a champion at any level. 5 years from now he another ESPN special on a wasted talent.

25. Alan from The Hangover
    1:38 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He’s a ratard.

26. About that...
    1:38 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Can somebody please show him the championship ring? kthx

27. L1C4
    1:38 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

#23, takes one to know one.

28. Amaze Pants
    1:38 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

That’s funny, that’s not how I remember that game. Let us take a stroll down memory lane.

— Davis had more rebounds, blocks, and assists than you.
    — Jones had more rebounds and blocks than you.
    — Teague had more points and had more asists than you.

Still hazy? Perhaps you remember the lonely bus ride back to Ames while the team you “abused” went on to New Orleans and we danced while streamers rained down us from the rafters.

Why not focus your “abuse” efforts against your mental illness? It’ll be much more productive.

29. lonnieb
    1:40 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

@L1C4….
    A dominating win for sure……..they scraped it out in the end by a bucket. i was so impressed i thought about growing a line beard to fit in around here… i live in Louisville……..but not the part that roots for Louisville. I live in the east end where there is a little class and intelligence…….you must live west of I65

30. The Bank is Open
    1:42 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

27) L1C4 = 1-4 against Cal’s Cats

31. lonnieb
    1:43 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Never mind, I am an idiot .

32. afidler
    1:43 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

33. Chicago Chris
    1:44 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I’m rooting for White, but his insecurity is as big a problem as his anxiety.

34. L1C4
    1:44 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

# 30, that is in the pass! Currently, it is 1-0 Cards!!!

35. The Bank is Open
    1:45 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

29) lonnieb, you must not live in the hood where line beards are considered cool and tattoo parlors are the place to be and welfare is the way to live.

36. Josh
    1:46 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He’s nothing but a punk kid. He did have a great game against UK in the round of 32. But it’s a team game & 1 on 5 ain’t much of a contest, as the eventual champions proved. So, his jealousy of AD is evident if he’s continually bringing up UK. Good luck in the nba bro you’ll need it

37. The Bank is Open
    1:47 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

34) No, currently Cal still coaches the Cats. Therefore, your Tards are still 1-4 currently. The world doesn’t start over just because you finally beat UK.

38. Syracuse Orange
    1:47 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

L1C4 – How’s my ass taste buddy

39. theSkinny81
    1:48 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

34 – Wrong. Now it’s ‘Cuse 1, UL 0.

Pass, passed, or past?

40. The Bank is Open
    1:48 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I live west of I-65. I am very intelligence. I went to Sullivan!!!

41. woodworm
    1:49 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

i missed that game where he abused my entire UK cats. does anyone know where i can view it online? but i did get to see the game last year where we kicked their arses in the tourny

42. Syracuse Orange
    1:50 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I am the beast of the east. We will win the NCAA again this year.

43. The Bank is Open
    1:50 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

#40 = Troll

44. spookykim
    1:51 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He has to talk trash because he is trash. He can go be the best player in the mental hospital, because that’s the only place he’ll ever be able to play, & I guarantee he’ll still be talking trash there, because his mental issues are that bad. Maybe if he’d shut his mouth, he’d get more people to listen. Biggest waste of money the Rockets ever spent. Move on, Ally.

45. L1C4
    1:52 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

As of today we are still number one. Haters will hater. Pass, passed or past.

46. The Bank is Open
    1:53 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

UK is not ranked this year, lol!!!!

47. UK Wildcat
    1:54 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He has obviously become aware that he reached the pinnacle of his athletic career during a 16 point, 2nd Round NCAA Tournament loss in which he fouled out and was not the game’s leading scorer (Marquis Teague, 24). He has realized he is completely incapable of pulling himself together long enough to have any kind of career in professional basketball. He is successfully costing himself millions upon millions of dollars and the opportunity to take care of his family for life, so if he finds a little solace in constantly gloating about a 16 point loss in which he fouled out, let him have it.

We know he went home after that game and watched Kentucky win an NCAA Championship two weeks later. We know he watched Kentucky players go #1 & #2 in the NBA Draft while he slipped out of the lottery. We know he has watched 6 different Kentucky rookies contribute more for the teams that drafted them than he has. We know he is going to watch our 2012 draft class rack up the championships, all-star appearances, etc. while he sits at home.

So, if he takes a little solace in mildly outperforming expectations of him during a 16 point loss, let him have it. We can just take solace in the fact that the 6 draft picks off our team beat him on the way to a championship, and will likely experience more success both on the court and off it than he ever will.

48. jim jim
    1:56 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Who really cares about what he says. All I care about is that we whooped their ass.

49. Houston GM
    1:56 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce White has more upside than anyone in last season draft. While UK had some good player, Royce was the best.

50. chukster
    1:56 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I believe I cant fly

51. bo bob
    1:58 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

I’m so glad Ally can speak for all of BBN. Who are you again?

52. kingrex
    1:59 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

okay, I feel bad for the guy and his phobia of flying and whatever else is wrong with him, but shut the *E&$*&$ up. This is just ridiculous. I will say it again, why on earth did he leave early when he still knew he had this issue with flying?!?!?!? This was bizarre and irresponsible. He had people around him who understood him and his issues and he was in theory getting therapy. There is just no reason for him to leave the college game early.

53. Jeff Garlin
    2:06 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce is still bitter! Bet he didn’t abuse the airplane after the game. Airplanes make him cry, lol.

54. L1C4
    2:07 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

This is our last day being ranked #1 so you best believe we gon talk trash! Who cares if we’re the first #1 ranked team to lose at home in years? And who cares that it’s only the second time in school history we were ranked #1? We have today and that’s all that matters…until tomorrow. Then we will talk about yesterday. L yeah!

55. L1C4
    2:09 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

#54 = Troll, please ban.

56. Garrett
    2:21 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Hope you enjoyed your fifteen minutes of fame Royce. Maybe you were the best player in the country … but UK was the best team and has the hardware to prove it.

57. playersfan
    2:23 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Only a jerk would say something like that in the game, and now. Someone that received $1,500,000 salary as a first round draft choice, and hasn’t earned one penny of it. Hasn’t played one second, and didn’t even practice until recently, if then. The Rockets need their head examined for drafting someone in the first round with such an ego, that has always refused to fly, are you only going to play home games or what? Secondly, Iowa State won every game I saw from their 3 point shooting. It was excellent going into the game, I was convinced that had to be stopped. KY let White run wild, but shut down everyone else. That was the key, and the desired result. I think they only made 2 or 3 three’s compared to 15 or so in other tournament games. One guy was not going to beat last years team.

58. Han
    2:24 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He would have been on that Kentucky team except he abused Cal’s trust by not telling him he was afraid to fly.

59. Royce
    2:24 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Garrett, it wil be vacated. Per my sources, The NCAA will have a major announcement regarding UK basketball in the coming weeks. There are reasons why wiggins is not going to UK ….

60. JesusIsTheONLYwaytoHeaven
    2:24 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

The bad thing is that he still doesn’t understand that him going off in that game was a strategy that Calipari utilized. One person doesn’t a team make.

61. JMFATZ47
    2:28 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

So, why would you leave early for the draft if you don’t have the anxiety issues under control first? And then he is trying to sue the NBA?

He is a good player but his mouth is annoying.

62. Billy Burbo the Linebeard
    2:29 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Cardinals looked very vulnerable yesterday

63. playersfan
    2:31 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Syracuse had more turnovers for points against Louisville, then KY did. So much for experience. Secondly, Syracuse did not play well, and third at the end, Siva dribbled into his own man who was standing perfectly still for a pick, and fell down, losing the ball for a breakway. Then at the very end Siva drove, jumped, had nowhere to go, and threw the ball backwards into Syrcuse hands for a break and two more points. Florida has looked more impressive than any team so far. I don’t think Duke can beat them, or Louisville, or Syracuse. Ohio State loses by over 20 points to any unranked team and is rated 9, in the country?

64. Blueswade
    2:31 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Dude looks like Grady from Sanford & Son.
    He did have a good game, but we sent his ash packin’.
    Last time I checked basketball is a team game.

65. PennsylvaniaWildcat
    2:39 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Abused Kentucky & Anthony Davis? Okay. I guess so. That’s why your ass was in foul trouble and you sat on the bench for the second half on the way to an L. BTW, Davis got the last laugh post-Louisville when he said, “This is my stage! This is my stage!” Oh, yeah, when was that? The Final Four? The round of 32 might be a bit early to start calling yourself the best player, pal. Guess desperate situations cause people to say desperate things.

66. RealCatsFan
    2:42 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

#59, “per your source”? What would that be, your overactive imagination? LMAO. #douchewatch

67. Chane Behanan
    2:43 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Wow, Royce is almost as much of a bigmouth as I am!

68. RealCatsFan
    2:57 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Just because UK pays players, does not mean they will get caught …

69. L1C4
    3:02 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Sorry guys for being such an a$$ it comes with being a cards fan. You’d be mad to if you’re team wasn’t the most popular team in the biggest city of Ky. Also I’m mad because I forgot to pick up beer all day yesterday knowing I will kill that 12 pack and its sunday now and no one carries the beer I can afford “beer thirty”.

70. L1C4
    3:02 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

71. Skeller03
    3:30 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce is good. But dude needs to man-up. Take a Xanax and a sleeping pill and have someone roll or carry him onto the plane if you have to. Life’s too short to be hindered by your own mind.

72. White Guy
    3:42 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

The kid should be a GREAT player, but he’s weak in the head. Never going anywhere unless he gets his shit in order. It’s not the organization’s responsibility to make exceptions for you, it’s up to you to fix yourself. He should have been dealing with his issues years ago and maybe he wouldn’t be failing in his career.

Oh well, there’s always Church League.

73. the Big Dog
    4:12 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Screw this arrogant nut job. By the way, the dirty birds gave new meaning to the term “one and done.”

74. Wildcatsteeler
    4:22 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Most of the sane world agreed on who was the best player in the country then. And it wasn’t this prima donna. Nut-up you giant puss and do what they are paying you to do.

75. Sam
    5:04 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

He indeed was unstoppable. I thought he was hands down the best player on the court. Neither Jones or MKG could remotely guard him. Coach Cal refused to play zone despite that that move would have obliterated White’s game. Royce didn’t even attempt a shot that wasn’t a dunk or greater than 5 feet from the basket.

Truly a zone would have been a tool to use, but instead we kept playing a man to man defense and resigned ourselves to White “getting his”. In the end, we coasted to a W.

76. BigBluCrybabies
    5:31 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Man you guys are some whiny little b!tches.

77. Ant Davis
    5:35 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Royce, I challenge you to a 1-on-1 rematch; all you have to do is hop on a plane and meet me in N’awlins. I’ll even pay for your ticket.

78. BlueFins
    5:36 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Crazy *astard

79. brain
    6:54 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

This “I wish him the best” crap is bull shit. This guy’s a jackass. He went home on the bus and we flew to the championship so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

80. dave
    6:59 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

Why don’t they just put him to sleep with a couple of pills and wheel him onto the plane?

81. Mack
    7:04 pm January 20, 2013 Permalink

White is always crying about not being understood to anyone in Houston that will listen. He wants the Rockets to pay him for refusing to play. The Rockets have no one to blame but themself, there were enough RED flags from at least middle school to stop any team from drafting him much less the waste of a No 1 pick. Maybe the Texans will draft the linebacker with the fake girl friend and he can get together with White and take fake flights to Rockets games.