Ronnie Sneed: The Old Man

Ronnie Sneed stepping up this season

The Courier-Journal has been running positional series on the Kentucky football team this summer and the most recent one is a peek at the linebackers and their leader, Ronnie Sneed, who Joker Phillips calls “a married guy”. From the article:

The senior linebacker from Tallahassee, Fla., said he “technically” isn’t married but laughed off Phillips’ comment, noting “I’m probably the closest thing.”

“A lot of the guys call me the old man,” Sneed said. “It’s good. They all like to joke around with me, calling me the married guy. I am the guy on Saturday night – when they are all out, I am home with the family.”

Sneed has a one-year-old son named Kade and lives with his longtime girlfriend. The increased responsibility at home has helped the fifth-year senior, who graduated last May, assert himself as a leader on the field, where he handles the reins of the defense as the starting middle linebacker. Although he’s surrounded by more highly touted teammates in Winston Guy and Danny Trevathan, Sneed may be the most important player on the field. Joker Phillips acknowledged the importance of Sneed, especially his ability to make calls and reads on the fly, by pointing out the amount of respect he holds amongst his teammates.

Like his running mate, Trevathan, Sneed is a former two-star recruit out of Florida who could make some serious noise in a, hopefully, much improved UK defense.

Article written by Matthew Hays

7 Comments for Ronnie Sneed: The Old Man

1. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    4:16 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

How many “might be the most important player on the field” do we have? Seems like nearly every UK football mention (everywhere, not just here) uses that phrase to describe a different player.

2. Maxwell
    4:21 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

I want nothing more than to have 3 studs at Linebacker (Sneed, Trevathan, and Guy). Hopefully with our new defensive coordinator, we can improve across the board on defense. And we’re gonna have to, with all of the losses we have on offense. Our wide recievers still scare me to death. Put a safety and a DB on La’Rod King, and what else do we have? My goal with Kentucky football always has been 8-4. I want the Outback so bad!!!!!
    Let’s go cats!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mr Schwump
    4:25 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

Sneed spent more time on his back last year than a $5 whore.

4. JRobtmfht
    4:35 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

I’ve worked with him at a movie theatre in Lexington for a little over a year, he been a pretty good guy all around.

5. catnuts
    5:02 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

I think Sneed will surprise some people this year. I’ve always liked the way he plays and hopefully he can step it up and may be able to make some money at the next level. You have to admire a kid that already has a degree in 4 years and is taking care of his kid.

6. Football Man
    6:17 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

Like your # R.S. I hope our defense plays like the Bears 46 defense of “85!GO CATS! RISE!

7. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:15 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

Go get ’em RS. Best of luck this year. I think our LB crew can do great things this season.

GO CATS!!!