Rondo’s Tip-off Tricks

Besides being one of the best point guards in the NBA, Rajon Rondo starts games as unique as anyone in the history of the league. This video is a compilation of things that Rondo does when the Celtics win a tip-off to start the game. I’ve seen a ton of Boston Celtic games, and I’ve never even noticed any of these tricks. Check it out:

I guess when you are as talented as Rondo you can do any of these things and not be concerned with losing the basketball. Did he do any of this stuff at Kentucky? If not, he should have cause that’s some pretty awesome stuff. When his NBA career is over maybe the Harlem Globetrotters come calling.

Go Playoff Cats.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

32 Comments for Rondo’s Tip-off Tricks

1. RuppWorker
    7:33 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

This has already been on KSR

2. Pedigo
    7:33 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m having KSR deja vu…. Have we already seen this post?

3. Bleek
    7:33 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Someone posted this last week

4. Rashawn Franklin
    7:37 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Sorry guys, I’ll do better.

5. Fat Ryan Lemond
    7:40 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

For what it’s worth Rashawn, I was extremely busy last week eating cheeseburgers and drinking mayonnaise so this is the first I’m seeing this.
    I love it, never really noticed it before.

6. dejavuealloveragain
    7:42 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

i’ve seen this somewhere before

7. bballjoker
    7:44 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

6) I’ve seen your comment somwhere before….

8. Nassua65
    7:45 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

4. Rayshawn
    i hadn’t seen it either. thanks for posting it!

9. AMIRITE
    7:53 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

what’s so tricky about this stuff anyway. oo he throws ball up in air or behind his back. make it disappear or gtfo

10. ty
    7:56 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

this is second time on here. it was also on sports pickle and some other sites. its popular for some reason.

11. lame
    8:22 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

lame

12. Smyrna_Cat
    8:26 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Do you guys read your own board? Maybe you guys can make a list of thinks you have already linked here?

13. Rajdaddy
    8:33 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Give these guys a break!! This site is awesome for all things UK!!!

14. dgtuk
    8:38 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

how many times are you going to show this???

15. WildFan
    8:39 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

This is not meant as a bash on Tubby but… Tubby Smith would have come unglued if Rondo had done anything like this at UK. I think he would have had problems with many of his assists as well. Rondo is a crafty point guard.

16. ice
    8:45 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure this will not be a popular comment. I hate Rondo. He’s a good player but he is such a dick. Honestly he could care less about Kentucky or any of us fans. I’m so tired of reading how fantastic this douche is. We have so many awesome former players ine the NBA right now who appreciate the BBN, why do we keep idolizing the only one who has nothing but apathy towards us. Let the Celtics sites showcase his “tip off clownishness”.

17. Steady
    8:54 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

This site has turned into the Obama news network, with a slice of Rondo.

18. ty
    9:01 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Rondo was in Kentucky helping our players this year. He may not be an all time favorite, and yes he seems a little selfish, but he was at UK last year helping out. Didnt Cal say he was first in the gym and working with the players late? Give these kids a break , they are all young and if we all got judged on what we did from 18 to 26
    few of us would like what people had to say.

19. gc
    9:02 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#16 quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. 😉

20. John Ellis
    9:20 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Rondo – besides being a treacherous teammate, his freshmen year his recklessness cost UK the Final Four when UK was up four in the overtime; he completely undermined Tubby and spent the middle part of the season not starting, then when UK had a major chance to upset overall 1 seed UConn his recklessness killed that too (a four point loss). Maybe the most talented player ever at UK – though Davis wiped that out I think – I can’t watch him and don’t care what he does. Give me Prince, a stellar player, teammate and man. If he’d had the teammates Rondo did, two more banners would be hanging in Rupp.

21. Jc#1
    9:22 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

The only thing Rondo was aloud to do was slow the ball down. Tubby had a race horse and tried to make him into a walking horse. He had to do it his way or no way. Thank GOD Tubby is gone.

22. Ruppeat Offender
    9:26 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#16, we’re all entitled to our opinion, obviously – but Rondo never got to be Rondo at UK. Tubby reigned him in and didn’t do him any favors. My guess is that it left a bad taste in his mouth regarding UK. He must be over it now that Cal is in charge, because he did the Legends vs Domincan team last year and worked out at the Craft Center as well as taking classes at UK last year. On top of that, he’s one of the top 3 PGs in the league, so it’s nice to have a guy like that with a UK pedigree.

23. StangLuvr
    9:31 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

This has been on here twice? I want that 4 minutes of my life back!!!

24. Biggass Hungguy
    9:46 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Demote Rashawn down to KSR college for a month or two, this is unacceptable.

25. catmandoo
    11:00 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Rondo has been back to UK more than 90% of former players. Last year he helped the incoming freshman and has gone all over the state playing in games with UK players and most importantly took classes and is working to get his degree from UK.

26. jc#1
    11:07 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I think a lot of people misunderstand Rondo. People around him say he is a very quiet private person. To me he is the perfect example of what an NBA player should be. He plays hard every night and gives the fans excitement. The NBA has not seen passing like his since Larry Bird. I would like to see the Celtics try to get Cousins I think he would fit in well at Boston.

27. ice
    11:17 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#22 good points my man. I guess my animosity comes grom some of the interviews he’s done regarding his time at uk.etc. its just that it seems like we have so many great ambassaands I just want to elebate those guy and stop all of this Rondo worship. More than likely I’m a hater in denial.

28. ice
    11:20 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#22 hopefully you can muddle through my spelling trainwreck…and get my point.

29. Dave-O
    8:29 am May 8, 2012 Permalink

This is why Rondo is one of my favorite players. Did you see him guarding LeBron last year, where he even went into the Heat huddle? Lebron looked like a fly was buzzing around him and he couldn’t swat it. Also, remember his headband? NBA said he couldn’t wear it upside down any more, so he quit wearing it. Like it or not, that’s the way I think! I’m glad for his sake that he now has a coach that lets him be Rondo.

30. Hoss_Cat
    10:03 am May 8, 2012 Permalink

LOL, you think that was impressive? WOW, you’d think I’d start for the Harlem Globetrotters.

31. Zack
    10:16 am May 8, 2012 Permalink

So can someone tell me how 70% of those “tricks” are not double dribbles? You can’t touch the ball with both hands, throw it ahead and put backspin on it, catch it and continue to dribble without it being a walk/travel/double dribble can you?

Well, maybe in the NBA you can. Hence why the NBA is terrible. And Rondo is easy to cheer against. He was one of the most under-achieving collegiate Cats since Randolph Morris and Rashaad Carruth.

32. first day on the job?
    12:21 am May 9, 2012 Permalink

C’mon man, please tell me you’re kidding. I had to re-watch that whole video because of you. There wasn’t anything close to a walk or a double dribble. He catches it, tosses it up with spin on the ball and goes into his dribble when the ball comes back to him… one handed.