Rondo absolutely deserves a one game suspension

Okay, let me preface this post by saying that I think the world of Rajon Rondo. He’s the epitome of a floor general, one of the best point guards in the NBA, and most importantly, a former Cat, which usually makes me look the other way on situations involving them. Not this one. Rondo deserved to be suspended one game for what happened Sunday night in Atlanta, and I wouldn’t have been shocked at two. My main man, Corey Nichols, expressed his displeasure with NBA refs this morning, and even provided an example of the craziness that sometimes is NBA officiating. He’s a great writer and presented some valid points, but I only somewhat agree with his argument. Yes, NBA officials do abuse their power every once in a while. In fact, referees like Tim Donaghy makes me think that they have way too much control on the outcome of the game. But this time, this situation, Rondo was entirely at fault.

Let’s look the at the play again:

As a former ref (one year in UK intramurals, and I treated every game like I was reffing game 7 of the NBA finals), I like to think I know a little somethin’-somethin’ about it. First thing they tell you in referee training is that “you have to have control of the game.” Rondo, first overreacted to the call, and then committed a cardinal sin by bumping the referee. He had to be thrown out, and for NBA referee’s sake, suspended a game. If you don’t suspended him you send the message it’s okay to push referees around, not only to the rest of the league, but to little kids and fans worldwide. It’s tough because Rondo is clearly the best player on the Celtics, and I’m sure David Stern doesn’t want to lose anymore stars after the Derrick Rose injury, but Rondo sort of forced his hand. Aside from all of that, Rondo’s recent history of blatant disrespect of referees probably made the decision a little easier for Stern. Remember this from a couple of months ago?

Come to think of it, with his history, I’m completely shocked it wasn’t two games or more. I believe if this wasn’t the playoffs he would’ve been sitting more than one game, but suspending him two games all but ends Boston’s season. The NBA can’t allow one its premier franchises to lose on a suspension. Rondo seems like the coolest kid ever off the court, but has a problem keeping his cool when he’s between the lines. Hopefully the Celtics aren’t too deep in a hole upon his return and they can make this a competitive series. What say you? Are you for or or against the suspension?

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

33 Comments for Rondo absolutely deserves a one game suspension

1. DUH!
    8:04 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

AGAINST it! I want to see good basketball, and with such a small incident they are just taking one of the best players in this series out for a game…

2. Adam
    8:05 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

(A) one game suspension

Rondo was a douche the whole time he was at UK. Will never get any love from me. I’ll take the adopted son Rose any day of the week.

3. The Tain't
    8:07 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m fer it! For a great floor general that is such a dumbass thing to do.

4. _TrickyRhodes_
    8:08 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Although I too love Rondo as a ball player and person generally, I do think he deserves the suspension. I also believe he knows he deserves it. Although a majority of my playing experience is Rec league and some High School ball, I know I have lost my temper, made a poor choice and regretted it immediately. Rondo is still human, and allowed to make mistakes, he just has to take the punishment that follows.

5. cracka
    8:08 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

a excellent title!

6. Louisville Grammar School
    8:10 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

LOL THIS DOES NOT BODE WELL! Grammar Cayuts

7. ltylerj
    8:11 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

All for it. I understand it was harmless and he didn’t intend to put harm on the referee but a rule is a rule. You can’t lay a finger on a ref without getting repercussions. I don’t like the fact that they’re taking the best player in the series out a game, but a rule is a rule.

The real story would be if Lebron or Kobe did this and didn’t get a suspension for it. That would be a story. Not if they should abide by a rule already in place.

Maybe Rondo will learn from this. Especially if they lose the series and Boston fans put it on Rondo for losing his cool. Be a professional, Rajon. I know and understand you’re in the heat of the moment, but you didn’t have to chest bump a ref to get your point across. Yelling at him in his face was enough.

8. Rashawn Franklin
    8:17 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Haha my fault kids. Its finals week.

9. so what
    8:18 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Who cares about Rondo. He spends the entire off season playing and hanging out with uofl players, while sporting uofl gear.

10. BlueDew
    8:27 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

No bigger UK fan than me, but this is rightly deserved. You CANT do that. If I just slightly shove or bump my boss, I am fired.

11. Larry Vaught
    8:29 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

My sources say Troy Willams may decide tommorrow.

12. fbbb
    8:34 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

He wouldn’t have bumped him if he didn’t stumble and if the ref kept walking at the same speed.

13. Ciggy
    8:37 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

one game was the letter of the law, that’s what the stuck too. Good for them. 1 playoff game is much more than 1 regular season game. I like to think they took that into consideration. Perhaps if it was regular season, he would have gotten more. Perhaps not.

So funny you prefacing your depth of knowledge by 1 year of intramural basketball. Not saying it means nothing, it does help. But please don’t think it makes you an expert. and please don’t think I’m taking a shot at you, i’m not. 😛

14. Mudcreekmark
    8:45 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

They gave the ball to the wrong team on the play before and then let everyone on both teams wrestle all over the floor and then call a foul on Boston. Those were two bad calls that could have gotten the Celtics right back in the game. Don’t blame him for being mad but will someone remind me when the last time a referee over turned a bad call he just made because someone was yelling at him over it.

15. friendofrondo
    8:49 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rajon does not really claim uk. He hated his time here thanks to tubby. He wanted to go pro after his first year because tubby sucked. I have no respect for any cat fan that rooted for uk during the last few years of tubby’s reign of terror. You were part of the problem and not part of the solution.

16. ukman54
    9:00 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m for the suspension I guess, but this post is too long you’re hating on him. Rondo has always been an emotional guy and we know that more than anyone. Were Kentucky fans, why are you lightweight dogging him??? I’m straight biased when it comes to our emotional players, take Liggins for example should he have gotten a Technical called on him for the several times he taunted and shouted at UNC’s bench last season in the tournament? What’s the difference theyre emotion people, and your hating on him I wasn’t expecting that at all from KSR.

17. 15, really?
    9:07 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

15 – who did you root for? Florida? I get the frustration with Tubby. I even get it if you tuned out basketball for that period, but having no respect for UK fans during that period? STFU you fair weather fan. You don’t deserve the current success.

18. andrewpillow
    9:09 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

You always did hate Rondo. You’re the “Anti Me” lol

But I kind of agree. I think the contact was incidental, but it’s a slippery slope. Better to ban all contact than to try and distinguish between too much or too little.

19. Can't_touch_this
    9:19 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Don’t touch the guys who can throw you out….common sense. I still like Rondo though.

20. Richard Beeze
    9:28 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo is your typical UK thug. Is he still banging Patrick Sparks girlfriend?

21. the Big Dog
    9:39 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo was very lucky to get just one game. I like him, but I wish he had a better temperment. Sounds like he is not well liked on his team. Would not be surprised if Boston tries to shop him again.

22. catsfan1965
    10:23 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo pursued the ref and bumped him. There is nothing unintentional about that, Rondo created the contact. By NBA rules, he has to get a 1 game suspension. Their is no grey area on this whatsoever. The only question was would he get more and I would say the 1 game suspension is appropriate.

23. oldkentucky
    11:06 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Stupid article.

24. HB
    11:08 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

This was exactly the right sentence. Rajon isn’t Ron Artest – it wasn’t a forceful bump, but it was too aggressive nonetheless. Ejection and 1 game suspension is the exact right call. Love Rajon, but we can’t have players physically intimidating the refs with impunity.

25. Chicago Chris
    11:23 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Whether or not he tripped, he was clearly trying to intimidate the ref and that can’t be tolerated.

26. your mom
    11:25 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

it’s the playoffs! serve it during the regular season next year.

27. Laker Cat 18
    12:10 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

Normal people don’t have veins popping out of their shoulders like that. Roid rage anyone?

28. Zack
    8:13 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

Absolutely SHOULD be suspended. I don’t care who you are, you don’t touch the refs. It doesn’t matter if you’re brushing a fly off his shoulder that’s impermissable contact. Point Blank. Period. In full disclosure I like the fact that Rondo is a former Cat, but he was extremely unlikable during his time at UK and the Boston Celtics are an ulikable franchise too. He seems destined to be hard to root for.

29. Lou eaton
    8:42 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

This is a no brainer that doesn’t need a post. He is clearly asking for the penalty regardless…needs to remember his role and what happens when he does dumb things like this incident…end of story.

30. kyblue
    9:08 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

Love Rondo, but he deserved the suspension. Ref made a bad call, happens all the time.

31. rashawn sucks
    10:46 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

Chicago fans (the clown who wrote this article is one) are just jealous that Boston has a better PG.

I would rather read transcripts of a conversation between Kige and BTI than anything by this loser.

32. schwing
    10:57 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

eff rajon rondo.

33. Sully
    11:11 am May 1, 2012 Permalink

Easy call; got to suspend him. NBA is consistent on this, going back to Magic Johnson getting suspended for three games for bumping a ref during his brief comeback. No brainer here.