Rod Strickland arrested for driving on a suspended license

According to WLEX, former UK assistant Rod Strickland was arrested early this morning in downtown Lexington for driving on a DUI suspended license, not having registered plates, and failing to signal. The arrest took place at East Maxwell and South Martin Luther King Blvd. In September 2010, Strickland was arrested for a DUI and has since taken on a new role in the program as “Special Assistant” to John Calipari. He’s currently being held in the Fayette County Detention Center.

More as we know it…

63 Comments for Rod Strickland arrested for driving on a suspended license

1. Houston Wildcat
    10:58 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Welp, he’s history.

2. Cousins Fake Tooth
    10:58 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

failing to signal is not a charge. It is not illegal to not signal, but it is your fault if you get into an accident if you do not signal.

3. Truth
    11:00 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

It is actually against the law not to signal.

4. SteveM
    11:00 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

I thought Strickland was currently an assistant. If he is a former assistant what is he doing now that finds him still in Lexington?

5. BUNZZ
    11:01 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Really?! Why has he not taken care of this stuff and gotten his license back?…It’s been well over 90 days…

6. GrumpyOldDude
    11:02 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

7. Musehobo
    11:05 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

I hate this. His name helps bring in recruits so we keep him. But he should have been gone after the DUI. But this all looks shady cause even after his “demotion/promotion” he was still riding the pine with Cal. That looked very shady to me.

8. Section 133
    11:11 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Why would his license still be suspended for a 2010 DUI?

9. Bob Sugar
    11:11 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Rod, say it ain’t so, what in the heck are you doing? How can any player be expected to listen to a guy that can’t follow the rules? This will have have to earn him a first class ticket out of Lexington. The guy can no longer be trusted to keep his nose clean. This program is on top of the world right now and simply cannot afford to be affiliated with a loose cannon.

10. Iamadumbass
    11:12 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Strike 5, you’re out!

11. smoke and mirrors
    11:13 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Great role model, just where I would want my kid to go to school. Ok Cal, what now??????

12. big poppa
    11:14 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

See ya Rod, hello DA

13. seriously man
    11:16 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

get your crap together… you have one of the best jobs at the absolute best college for basketball.

quit drinking… quit driving… quit being stupid.

I am going to wait for the job to post and apply. I promise if I had this opportunity (I would not screw it up).

14. bluesince66
    11:17 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Addiction is a bitch. Coach Strick is a very nice guy, sorry he can’t overcome this.

15. OkayThen
    11:18 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

11 send your kid to Louisville. The role models are much better there. Ricky alone has taught us some important lessons about not giving in to blackmail, how to cheat on your wife and stay married, and how to get rid of an unwanted child.

16. Say What?
    11:20 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

14 is he addicted to driving bc that seems to be the problem this time??

17. Adam
    11:21 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

I’ve seen reports that it was a DUI, but it wasn’t. It was driving on a suspended license -stemming from his prior DUI. Sheesh, people.

That said, it’s probably best for Cal to let him go. But we know how much he wants to help his friends.

18. Steely Dan
    11:21 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

2) You are wrong. failure to signal is very much against the law

19. kentuckyrules
    11:24 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Good lord…wtf man?? #12, you think DA is interested?? That would be pretty sweet!

20. bluesince66
    11:26 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Sorry thought it was for another dui.

21. Ryan
    11:26 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal, we’va all got your back on giving people second chances (Liggins), and seeing past other people’s opinions (e.g., Boogie, Bledsoe, and on and on), but this is too many times for Rod. He’s gotta go. You can help him out every way possible aside from that, but he can’t be connected to the program anymore.

22. what the what
    11:26 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

How one is expected to not drive for two whole years is beyond my belief. Nonetheless, that was the courts orders. It’s a shame to see it come to this. Players have great respect for him, but Cal and Mitch will have to let him go.

23. Smiffanator
    11:27 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

#14 what is exactly is he addicted to that got him in trouble, I’m confused, I feel like #16 here, is he addicted to driving or not using turn signals?? I’m lost..

24. abudhabiKat
    11:27 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Evidently he has some demons that he is not able to deal with and needs extensive and prolonged professional help really bad. Calipari is a successful coach, businessman and Christian. In the final analysis the later is the one that most matters especially when Rod is a friend…crying out for help in probably the only way he knows how.

25. Ryan
    11:28 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Oh, I thought it was another DUI too. Hmm, I suck at reading today. I’ll wait for more details in that case.

26. what the what
    11:29 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

IT’S NOT ANOTHER DUI! READ THE ARTICLE PEOPLE.

27. Dickie Z
    11:30 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

This is no reason to lose his job. It’s not another DUI. Not a big deal.

28. Smiffanator
    11:31 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

This is my opinion and could be wrong but how does getting in trouble for driving on suspended license have an affect on you job. I get the part of setting an example for your kids but I could really care less what he does when he’s not working but that’s just me..

29. MissinMKG
    11:31 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

24 he cleared his comment up w #21. he just misread.

30. abudhabiKat
    11:33 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

It was driving on a DUI suspended license, not having registered plates, and failing to signal.

31. Bluey
    11:33 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

7 – Was it shady when Pitino let Kevin Willard still ride the pine after his DUI a few years ago?

32. Bluehills
    11:34 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal is loyal to certain people and sometimes to a fault. Rod may be one of those people. I am not sure Cal will let him go without helping him find other employment. I would venture to guess Cal has reservations about letting him go without him having something already lined up. Idle mind is a devil’s playground.

33. emlang08
    11:36 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

If we need a Positive Note – At least the authorities in Lexington don’t “look the other way”

34. smoke and mirrors
    11:38 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

#15, nice anwser. I want MY team to step up and address this, damn louisville.

35. Smiffanator
    11:39 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

#25 I do not personal know Rod and am not going to say he has or does not have demons, all of us usually do, but what does this have to do with what just happened?? He got caught driving on a suspended license. It is against the law but that does not seem like this means he is struggling against these demons that he can’t control. He was going to a kids camp. I don’t believe this warrants people making judgement on his character or his personal life. I guess you are perfect and are able to place shame on someone that I am pretty sure you have no relationship with, so therefore you do not have any room to make judgement on this man. Support the man not put him down.

36. Smiffanator
    11:41 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

#30 I see now that was not up yet when i was posting it. People sure do jump to conclusions quickly when it comes to putting someone down.

37. UK
    11:41 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Idiot can’t afford a taxi with his salary? He wasn’t even drunk and he still isn’t smart enough to call a cab?

38. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    11:44 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Is that his mugshot posted above or just a random day pic of Rod? It’s hard to tell with that guy sometimes

39. sdgsg
    11:52 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

This could be some sort of mistake. His license was suspended for 12 months in September 2010. This is 23 months later.

40. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    11:56 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

41. Jim
    11:58 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Lexington police must be bored. I can’t see pulling a guy over for not using a signal. Arresting him seems to be a bit much as well. With all of the crack dealers, thieves, and outlaws in a city the size of Lexington, I can see why arresting him is of such importance. Splashing his picture all over the internet and the local tv stations is not enough, a fatal beating should be in order for such a heinous crime!

42. Musehobo
    11:58 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

Why haven’t we deleted Lex’s racist comment yet? Yeah, black people are the only ones who drink and drive…sure.

43. burger
    11:58 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

While, my pen blow lines ferocious
    Mediterranean, see y’all, the number one draft pick
    Tear down the beat God, then delegate the God to see God
    The swift chancellor, flex, the white-gold tarantula
    Track truck diesel, play the weed God, substantiala
    Max mostly, undivided, then slide in, sickenin
    Guaranteed, made em jump like Rod Strickland

44. Woo's gummy snacks
    12:08 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

this is probably unpopular for me to say but couldn’t they have just threatened him and let him go? He wasn’t drinking and he wasn’t involved in a wreck just threaten to call the news then let him go that would have been my vote

45. burger
    12:09 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

1. It’s just a traffic violations. Nothing here is reckless. No alcohol involved.
    2. Driving on a suspended license in an unregistered car is really not that big of a deal.
    It’s against the law, but so is spitting on the court at the Yum Center after you win.
    3. Driving on a suspended license is not bright, but it’s not a second strike since it’s not alcohol related (which was the first strike).

I don’t see him getting let go for this. It’s not alcohol related. It’s a traffic offense.

Failing to signal IS AGAINST THE LAW PEOPLE… think about other cars for half a second. They need to know where your going. Also, bicyclists and motorcycles really rely on people using their signals and if you don’t your creating a dangerous unpredictable environment.

Poster #2 (Cousins Fake Tooth) needs to be kicked in his nugget for being an idiot on the road

46. PIX2CLICK
    12:10 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

==== Get him off the street for good before he kills an innocent …….

His involvement with the University should definitely be OVER !!!

Not a good image for our young people …,.

====

47. sdfgsdg
    12:11 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

This is a mistake. His license may still be suspended, but its not DUI suspended.

48. Old Pogue Bourbon
    12:11 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m wondering why don’t the police spend some time on New Circle or Man-O-War and catch some real menaces to society (75mph in a 55 zone and 65mph in a 45 zone) rather than a random guy downtown who didn’t use his turn signal (unless there was some other behavior that led to the traffic stop).

49. Big Blue 66
    12:11 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

41. they just pull over the Bentleys that dont use their signal…Rods a great guy but this is the reason hes not higher up the food chain in either college or the NBA coaching ranks…knows his stuff on the court though

50. bmack
    12:12 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

He was pulled over for failing to signal? Good grief. At any given intersection cars run the light nearly every light cycle, even with cops in full view, and he gets busted for failing to signal?

51. sdfgsdg
    12:14 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

46. Please. Get ahold of yourself. Rod Strickland driving this morning is no more dangerous than any other person driving.

52. DUI or not
    12:14 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

How many times has this former “Jailblazer” been arrested, pretty sure it’s more than you can count on one hand… Think you could pick someone better to work for and represent the university.

53. awat
    12:16 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

One of my favorite PGs of the 90’s. Cal has given him too many passes, its time to go. At some point he has to learn. He is involved on a daily basis with 18-22 year old men who need good role models, especially someone who has walked in their shoes. He isnt what we want our players to turn in to.

54. PIX2CLICK
    12:21 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

==== Hey 51, at least I can grab hold myself ! ====

55. Big Blue 66
    12:25 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

54. Rod wasnt arrested for a DUI this morning, it was the suspended license stemming from a past one. So calm down and comprehend what is being said before you start spouting off about GET HIM OFF THE ROAD…..I smell a troll

56. PIX2CLICK
    12:34 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

==== 55, I have a college degree ……. I can read …

unlike you, I choose the righteous path of NOT being blinded by the light of almighty UK hoops …… which I have loved since 1954 ……….

Open your eyes ….. my God man, just because he is involved with UK bball doesn’t give him carte blanche to break the law of the land … of which he obviously has a problem ….

He’s not a good example for our Commonwealth in general ….

====

57. It always come down to this
    12:46 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

56…being able to read doesn’t mean being able to comprehend. You’re an idiot!

58. burger
    1:02 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

PIC2CLICK is definitely an idiot. He was probably picked on by his mom.

59. Lexington Policeman
    1:06 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

We are really bored. Heck I just gave someone a ticket for a rolling stop at a dead-end street. The city needs money!

60. ribin
    1:41 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Failing to signal? Come to south central ky — they don’t signal, speed up a lot on yellow and run through on red — would be glad to have Strickland driving here.

61. Billy Clyde Gillespie
    2:09 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Sucker!

62. smoke and mirrors
    3:01 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Foeget it #56, your wasting your time. If you disagree with anything the Basketball staff does, you are a “troll” or “not a true fan”. If it turns out he did nothing but not signal, great, give him a ticket. If he was driving on a suspended license, fire his ass.

63. stan
    3:03 pm August 2, 2012 Permalink

Damn #62, I hope you can see good from the cloud you are on. Oh, Foeget I said that, Idiot.