Rob Fulford gives us an inside look at Andrew Wiggins’ recruitment

RFulford

Have you OD’d on Andrew Wiggins news yet? Good. This morning, Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford called in to Kentucky Sports Radio to give his take on what his star player will do. Here are the highlights:

— Throughout his recruitment, we have really only learned two things for certain about Andrew Wiggins: he is insanely talented on the court, but very private and laid back off of it. Fulford said that the latter trait has created a stall in Wiggins’ decision making process, with the young player hesitant to pull the trigger on a school because a) he doesn’t want to tell people no and hurt their feelings; and b) he still isn’t entirely sure what he wants to do. Fulford compared the current state of Andrew’s recruitment to when he was deciding whether or not to attend Huntington Prep. After two years of wooing Andrew, it was Andrew’s father who finally called Fulford to tell him that his son would be joining his program. Fulford recently said that it wouldn’t surprise him if Andrew had someone else announce the decision, maybe even via tweet.

— At this point, Fulford said you can’t write any of the remaining schools off. He went through each school left and shared his thoughts on why Andrew’s still keeping them on the list.

Florida State: Obviously, Andrew has a deep connection to this school because his parents attended it and he went to camps there throughout his childhood. He also has a good relationship with head coach Leonard Hamilton. Fulford said that Andrew would be “comfortable” there.

Kansas: Fulford mentioned that Andrew liked Bill Self.

Kentucky: Simply put: “Kentucky is Kentucky.” Fulford said Andrew knows he would be surrounded by great players there, and listed them all by name.

North Carolina: Andrew still has family there.

— Reading between the lines, I feel like Florida State is still in contention because Wiggins doesn’t want to offend them by saying no. He has longtime connections there, and Fulford said that Andrew may be hesitant to eliminate them because his teammate, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, is going there next season and he doesn’t want to hurt his feelings.

Where does Fulford want Wiggins to go? Selfishly, he said Kentucky because of its proximity to Huntington, which would allow Fulford and the staff to see him play as often as possible. Fulford said he also has a great relationship with Orlando Antigua…which, come on, who wouldn’t? Coach O is awesome.

Fulford shot down some rumors that have been circulating this week. 1) Contrary to UNC message board reports, Andrew will NOT announce his decision next Tuesday. 2) Also, Fulford has NOT been hired as an assistant coach at Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, or Florida State. Fulford pointed out that if he were hired to any of those staffs, Wiggins would then not be allowed to attend that certain school.

— However, Fulford said that Wiggins WILL decide by the spring signing deadline of May 15th. “I have letters of intent on the table waiting for him.”

48 Comments for Rob Fulford gives us an inside look at Andrew Wiggins’ recruitment

1. Cokely
    12:04 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Finally a light at the end of the tunnel for this recruitment.

2. juicey rumor
    12:05 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

wiggins will commit by May 15th ! BOOK IT !!!

3. juicy juice rumor
    12:06 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

now with MORE vitamin C !

4. UndecisiveWiggins
    12:06 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, so I am going to stay one year at each college before going pro!

5. symphonist41169
    12:07 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I certainly hopes he picks Kentucky but I’m getting pretty exhausted by this dragging out of things. Please make a decision, and good luck to you no matter where you go to school.

6. the mill
    12:07 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

what’s a matter with me … i done broke down

7. Corey
    12:08 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know where he’ll go but logically his best chance to win a National Championship is with UK or UNC, in that order. I feel good about our chances but I wouldn’t be surprised by anything he decides to do at this point.

8. SexnNursinHomes
    12:08 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

No wonder Wiggins likes Bill Self. Fulford looks like Self except younger and more hair. In the psych world we call that “Transference”.

9. Corey
    12:09 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

#8, Damn, you’re right!

10. RahRah
    12:20 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I wonder why FSU didn’t work hard to sign his brother and make this an almost sure thing for them?

For a kid who doesn’t like the spotlight, he sure has found a great way to market himself. lol

11. El Pollo Loco
    12:20 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

In fairness, Fulford did not say he would decide by May 15th. He said he’s told him May 15th is the end of the LOI signing period and he hopes it gets done soon. However, Wiggins doesn’t technically have to sign a LOI.

I want him to come to UK as much as anyone, but I don’t understand people saying they’re tired of him dragging it out. It’s a major life decision. He can take as long as he’d like. Plus, he doesn’t live at home and his parents are a huge part of this. If he wants to take til August, so be it. It’s not my life.

12. Lcat
    12:23 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

He a “HEEL”. He loves Roy and MJ. He also likes the co-ed he was fixed up with on his UNC visit. Couple that with the 1M in the bank donated by MJ, he is a HEEL.

13. H.A. Milton
    12:26 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

10, your statement raises another question too. If going to the family’s alma mater was such a big deal, why isn’t the brother there anyways?

14. goUKats
    12:27 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

With the talent UK has coming on,and the guys returning,Cal should do well next year.If Wiggins comes to UK ,great,if not,the sun will still come up tomorrow.

15. Bleed Blue
    12:32 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I stick by what my guy has said and that is that Wiggins will be a Cat 100%. I just don’t see the 3 coaches doing enough next week to change his mind.

16. Bleed Blue
    12:34 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

To 10 and 13 his brother is barely good enough to ride the pine at a mid major school, what makes you think he could get a scholly to a Major School? I know that FSU hasn’t done as well as some of the mid-majors, but Wiggins’ brother just isn’t very good.

17. TheUK_fan
    12:35 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I hope he picks UK but I still don’t think we can rule out Florida State because Wiggins doesn’t want to hurt his teammate feelings and have to see him everyday, his coach wants him to stay close and maybe he don’t want to hurt his feelings by picking Florida State. I still think Kentucky is in this as much as anyone and I don’t believe Wiggins even wants to decide until the last moment because of the pressure of hurting anyone. Just a opinion after listening to the show but I’m still very hopeful we can get him here.

18. wildcat
    12:37 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

as i heard on espn before someone said if he went to FSU he would be the man but at kentucky he would have to play with a cohesive group of players rather than be the MAN i would choose the latter because you wil need help on the cour to take the Pressure off of you.

19. billybob
    12:38 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins isn’t seeking attention or marketing himself. He just hasn’t signed. Everyone else is creating the controversy. He hasn’t done anything except play basketball.

20. CatomicBomb
    12:42 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

11 – I agree that AW can take as long as he wants but it is really a “major” life decision for players of this caliber? I mean regardless where he goes, we can safely assume he will be a #1 overall pick, unless his talent doesn’t show through (which is unlikely). His one year at any of these schools is a stepping stone at most, right? I hope like hell he comes to Kentucky, But a lot of us are getting really bored of the “i don’t like attention, scared to commit” but yet he drags it on and on and on….

Suck it up, be a man and slap that KENTUCKY across your chest and lace’em up! So when he comes to Kentucky, he best be ready for some serious spotlight…. I am so ready for this season!

21. Unit to tha G
    12:43 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

12- Along with the fake Afro-American Studies classes too….

22. RahRah
    12:47 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

#16, Bleedblue, I absolutely know the brother’s not good enough for the UK bench, but I still think FSU could have found space for him and it definitely would have been worth it for their recruiting Andrew purposes. It would have been much harder for him to turn down that family connection if his brother was there. Just seems obvious to me and has from the start of this.

23. RahRah
    12:48 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I really think it would have made FSU a sure thing for him.

24. RahRah
    12:49 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Sorry guys, not sure why the double post.

25. kadizkat
    12:58 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

#22, #23 & #24 They saw your “handle” and assumed you wanted the double post

26. PPat
    1:05 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Any word where Jai Lucas is going?

27. El Pollo Loco
    1:09 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

20 – In fairness to Wiggins, he’s not the one seeking out the media and asking them to interview him constantly. He’s handled it pretty well, I think. He seems to have gotten much more comfortable with interviews the past few weeks as well, which I think is a good thing for UK.

I honestly think his dad is running a lot of this and knows that holding out will maximize hype and exposure. Even what Fulford said seems to lead to his dad is running the show, Andrew will get to choose but dad signs off. I think once all-star games are over he might get to spend time with family and come to a conclusion. Ultimately, I don’t see how his dad can’t see that UK will give him maximum exposure and be the right place.

28. St. Paul Raiders
    1:17 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

26- It never gets old, love it.

29. PPat
    1:19 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I was really hoping he’s coming here, but the more and more I think about it, I think he’s going somewhere else. I made a wager that we would have 3 losses or less next year, still think I’m good there, but he would have made it a done deal.

30. sga
    1:26 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Ever heard the saying “a watch pot never boils ” ?

31. In reality
    1:27 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

In reality, wiggins is nasty, but he’s still a little raw. In about 5-6 years he will reach his potential and be the best player on the planet, I have no doubts. As far as next year, in my humble opinion, the best/most dominant player in college basketball will be mr. Julius randle. Lucky for us we’ve already got him. Would it be awesome to add wiggins to the stable? Absolutely. But I feel like we’ve already got the top guy. I think this number one ranking makes people think we HAVE to have him, when in reality I believe he will be the 2nd best player on his team, and as a college player maybe not even more important than our twins

32. Bleed Blue
    1:29 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

@23 I wasn’t saying he couldn’t be on UKs bench I was speaking in terms of FSU. He couldn’t have even made that team. He was in a JUCO for 2 years before going to WSU. In my opinion FSU is not even in the race any more that is why Hamilton hasn’t even talked to Wiggins in about 4 weeks. Like he said at the JBC he wants to go somewhere with great players, great facility and where he can win. I just don’t see scenario where it is not UK

33. jpo
    1:33 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

22 & 23. Andrew Wiggins wasn’t even in high school yet when his brother was getting recruited. No way to know he was going to be such an All-star.

34. Seriously
    1:33 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

30- no, but I’ve heard “a watched pot never boils”

35. macc Maine
    2:08 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

He’s a cat, he’s from drakes where drake from t-dot and Cali gets who he wants plus factor in the talent alone bbn is a movement every high school players dream is the nba enough said CAN’T WAIT¡¡¡¡BBN

36. sentence structure
    2:35 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

why must you abuse me so #36

37. JDN1016
    2:43 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Yawn! My gawd KSR is obsessed with this kid! All this hand wringing over the decision of an 18 year old kid. Let it go!

38. Waitacotdamnminrondell
    3:00 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Two things. 34 quit trollin people. No need to correct venacular. If you listen to people around here say the same damn thing it sounds just as 30 types it. Quit bein a douche.

And on Fulford, i can think of 4 different schools in the past 3 years that hired a head coach of recruit, and they still went. I can think of one that’s awfully close to us. Seems they get away with it every few years.

39. BIGBLUEROCK
    4:06 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

The Rock says Andrew wiggins will turn down those jabronies and play for the BBN the most elctrifying fan base in sports entertainment.

40. Sap
    5:51 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

XRM his high school teammate and lifelong friend is already committed to FSU. Hmmmm

41. Ukdarwky
    6:21 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I hope he comes to UK but I think we win #9 with or without him

42. Bleed Blue
    6:44 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

@39 This past summer the rule that stated if a coach of recruit is hired by a school every player that coach coached in high school can not go to the school. The rule was created because of UofL. @41 that has been known since October try and troll else where.

43. atl4774
    6:53 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

38 I agree have we reached the point where we have to be a kid to come to uk.please I think this kid is using us and I hope
    he goes to fla st

44. spookykim
    7:26 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

If he’s very private, & doesn’t like a lot of attention, there’s no way he’s going to pick UK! He should just stick with FSU — they certainly get no attention, they’re never in contention. smh

45. BBN4Life
    9:26 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

To everyone who’s mad Wiggins is dragging this out and saying he shouldn’t come here and we don’t need him…be quiet. This kid is the best player since LeBron James to come out of high school, if we get him I will pray for everyone on our schedule because they’re in for some trouble. You’re going to tell me you wouldn’t want the next LeBron James at Kentucky? Just be quiet and hope this kid picks Kentucky and if he doesn’t, just enjoy the show next year.

46. HustlePointz
    2:04 pm April 20, 2013 Permalink

There are 2 very prominent points all of you Kentucky fans decided to overlook about this whole process.

1.) 3/4 schools he is considering have had their rosters set (in terms of returning players / players going pro) for quite some time now. Is it possible that he was waiting to see who would leave / who would return for that 4th school, UNC, before making a decision? Everyone is all up in arms about how long it is taking, but I personally think it is being handled very maturely and intelligently:

— Get all the rosters in front of you and lay out each one once everyone is confirmed returning, compare and contrast.

— Have final meetings with coaches (UK saw him sometime a couple weeks ago — roster was set then ; UNC Monday, KU Tuesday, FSU Wednesday).

— Evaluate all options and make a decision. This is where we are now. I expect a commitment sometime this week coming up or next. If it gets stretched, THEN people can complain about dragging out the process.

2.) Wiggins says he does not like attention or spotlight. Putting him under the most scrutinized team in America (both by the public, the fanbase, and especially their own head coach) does not make much sense to me. I couldnt have been the only one who noticed Poythress’ attitude any time Calipari got on his case, and Im not even a UK fan. Not to mention the completely negative impact it had on Harrow. Some guys are meant for that type of coaching, some arent. It just seems like Wiggins would have a tough time under all of that pressure.

It will be a wait-and-see process, as it usually is under Calipari coached teams, but all I am saying is that there are other factors to consider other than the fact that UK has a great recruiting class coming in next year. A lot of things have to go right for them to gel correctly, and for attitudes / egos not to clash on a team like this. I could easily make a case that UNC is the best fit for him and give great support for 4 or 5 reasons why, but I know no one here wants to hear any of that.

47. jb
    6:18 pm April 20, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins will go to either Florida State or Kentucky. He claims that they aren’t leading in his recruitment, but that’s a bold faced lie. He’s just saying that not to hurt UNC or Kansas feelings.He won’t go to UNC simply because UNC has had bad luck getting anyone worthwhile to come there in the past 3 years and Them screwing up and not signing John Wall who wanted to go to UNC but Ol’ dumb Roy said he didn’t fit the program (since when hasn’t a #1 high school player ever fit at any college program??) and that helped Kentucky start its now dominant reign in basketball recruiting because if John Wall would have went to UNC, That would have denied Kentucky their first #1 recruiting class