This seems too perfect to be a coincidence. Exactly one day after the Kentucky Sports Radio show was tossed from the airwaves due to the always vague “technical difficulties” and anxious Cat fans were served with a heavy repetitive dose of Weezer’s Memories, the band’s front man celebrates his birth. Weezer lead singer Rivers Cuomo ushers in the start of his Dirk year and will celebrate his 41st birthday , most likely by dressing like a 5’6″ version of Boogie Cousins. And there ain’t nothing wrong with that. So, happy birthday to you, Rivers. Thanks for filling the air for us Monday. You can take Tuesday off.
A few UK notes…
– If there was anything notable to come from Monday’s news cycle, it was the ESPN article profiling Terrence Jones’ return. The story, which documented Terrence Jones’ thought process on returning to UK and his goals for next season, came with a very calculated and telling statement from Coach Cal about what he expects from #3 this season. Cal told Andy Katz that he wants Jones to develop into a Derrick Williams-type player for the Cats next season, meaning he wants him to evolve from finding a way to get stats into a player who can be counted on as a team leader and a dominant rebounder. For next year’s team, that’s imperative and Jones seemed to find himself frustrated at times last year when he seemed to be less confident in knowing his role. He clearly knows now. Comparing Jones to Williams goes beyond that point, though, and again shows both how Calipari can use the media to motivate his players, as well as speak to what they want to hear. Williams solidified himself as a top-2 pick in this year’s draft, which Jones aspires to be, through an aggressive mentality that allowed him to expand his game and showcase his talents as a 3 or a 4. If you’re Terrence Jones, who doesn’t seem to have a defined position at the NBA level at this point and was told that from some NBA people, your ears have to perk up. He knows what he has to do. Cal knows what he has to do. Now they have to get their together. A very smart and calculated move by Calipari.
– The article also said that Jones will attend the Kevin Durant Skills Camp in Chicago next weekend. The annual event is hosted by the Oklahoma City star and features some of the top wing players in the country. This year’s camp is scheduled to host 20 high school players and 10 college guys. Jones and Harrison Barnes have already been leaked as official attendees, but the full list won’t be announced until the camp starts June 26.
– It was yet another day in the world of Kentucky basketball as the world weighed in on the John Calipari 500 wins debate. It was pretty much your standard run of opinions when it comes to Calipari with some shrugging it off as ridiculous and some lighting their torches and getting ready to storm the gates. One of the names of those ready to bag on Cal was someone you probably wouldn’t have guessed. Peter Gammons of the MLB Network. Yes, Peter Gammons.
C’mon, Peter. Don’t be a grouch. Just go grab a hug from Harold Reynolds and cheer up.
– It was a busy week for a number of the 2012 basketball recruits the Cats are chasing after in terms of visits. Rodney Purvis took a group trip to Missouri to see his old buddy Tim Fuller, while Shabazz Muhammad stopped by Texas A&M and Mitch McGary threw alliteration a bone and visited Maryland. All three players remain high priorities for the Cats. Meanwhile, another kiddo that’s getting a heavy press from the Cats, Archie Goodwin, named Kentucky as one of his “hot” schools.
– Enes Kanter scheduled a workout with the Wizards for Friday, who remain interested in trading up for him, and DeAndre Liggins showcased his skills for the Nets before moving on to the Pistons later this week. Perhaps the most interesting note regarding the Cats bound for the NBA Draft is that Brandon Knight continues to refuse to work out with anyone head-to-head. Knight did not workout against Isaiah Thomas in Sacramento and wouldn’t battle against Kemba Walker for the Raptors. It seems that Knight subscribes to the same theory as BTI when it comes to love-making. Why potentially make yourself look bad with another person involved when you’re so darn good by yourself? No sense in messing up a good thing.
– Hey, speaking of that, umm….Kyrie Irving is in a little situation. Now, don’t click on that link if you’re at work, in front of your kids or pretty much anywhere that might frown on things you wouldn’t read or talk about in front of your mother. And if that is the case, just know that karma appears to have struck Dan Gilbert roughly 24 hours after he revelled in LeBron’s defeat.
That’s it for now. Make sure you stick around as we get things back in order Tuesday and finally defeat the radio demons that tore us down Monday. Matt has promised that there will be no stopping him from airing Kentucky Sports Radio at 10am. It’s in my contract to not question him, so let’s assume that to be true. Make sure you stop by and join us. In the meantime, celebrate repetitive Weezer music one last time…
….See you in a few.