Rivals.com: Marquis Teague vs. Kyrie Irving

A reader asked Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com to compare Kentucky-bound Marquis Teague and Kyrie Irving, the best injured point guard in all of college basketball. Meyer’s response gives Kentucky fans a lot to look forward to next season.  (Not that we aren’t excited enough already.)

Both players are elite point guard prospects. They are similar in that they are high-level ball handlers who are extremely elusive with the basketball. They are both adept at making plays off the dribble. They are dangerous defenders with their anticipatory skills and quick hands and feet.

There are slight differences between the two. I’d give Irving the edge as a scorer off the dribble. Teague has an edge as being a little more of an explosive athlete. Irving has an edge in terms of intangibles and leadership skills. Teague is a little quicker. In fact, Teague might be the quickest player side to side with the basketball that I’ve ever scouted.

In general, Irving is the more polished and refined of the two players. Teague, however, is the more explosively athletic player.

The quickest player with the basketball? That sounds familiar.

Go future Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for Rivals.com: Marquis Teague vs. Kyrie Irving

1. Steady
    12:23 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Nice Fresh Prince of Bel-Air photo.

2. Thats what she
    12:25 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

“They are similar in that they are high-level ball handlers”

3. Alamo_Cat
    12:27 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

2 – I thought he was talking about UT players for min. but then I re-read and caught the word “level” the second time.

4. coach K
    12:29 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I SUCK. DUKE SUCKS.

5. yo
    12:30 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

He said quickest player side-to-side… not basket to basket (John Wall)

6. DunkMiser
    12:33 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Okay,
    Who has RicksVD?

7. Illinois ky fan
    12:35 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

How can my son get players autographs? We have been to a game a year at Rupp and have gotten assistant coaches autographs before the game but only Enes this year and Orton last year. Any suggestions?

8. beau9738
    12:37 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

7– show your boobs.

9. beau9738
    12:38 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

j/k! I don’t know but if you find out let me know. Good luck!

10. IndyCatFan
    12:42 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I live up here in Indy and have seen Teague play several times. You are gonna like this guy ! He is an outstanding player.

11. catsfan85
    12:42 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

@7…go to a super tuesday game and then take your kid to 2 keys after the game, thats the easiest way

12. tdogg40330
    12:45 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

7) or park outside Wildcat Lodge and wait for them to walk out like some of the other crazy people … lol

13. ibleedblue4UK
    12:46 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

7. Easiest way I have found is to wait outside between the Joe Craft Center & the Lodge before or after practices and catch them then. For the most part they will all sign. Jorts & Cousins I found were the nicest & joked around a lot with us.

14. Illinois ky fan
    12:47 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

11- super Tuesday games? Not sure what that is? And I have no idea what 2 keys is or where its located.
    Thanks

15. Blue Virus
    12:48 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Why compare the two? One injured one not. One is two years younger. I dont get it

16. Al's IndiCats
    12:49 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Same here 10. I watched him when they played N.Central in the Marion County Championship. If Knight stays one more year we are going to have an awesome back court. We’re going to have one anyway.

17. IndyCatFan
    12:52 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#16. I heard that. Cant wait for him to get to Lexington. What part of Indy do you live in. I am up on the northeast side. Go CATS !

18. fish
    12:53 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

of calipari’s pgs at uk teague appears to be the quickest w the ball and maybe the best ballhandler so far… imo

19. paul
    12:54 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

will Teague be ok NOT STARTING next year? At this point I do not see Knight being 1 and done. am I wrong? seems like a crowded bench next year with only Jones the only departure of the underclassmen

20. fish
    12:58 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

sounds like gilchrest and davis are having big time sr seasons too

21. CatfaninNashvegas
    1:01 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Teague and Knight will both start is Knight is here next year.

22. Cliver
    1:04 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

19 – If Knight stays, I’d say there’s a real good chance we’ll see him start games at PG, but then move to the 2 spot and have Teague run the point.

23. kyrobman
    1:04 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I would think that they could move Knight to the 2 if all else fails.

24. SoccerCat
    1:07 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

19 – Teague at the point and move Knight to the 2.

25. Jimmy Dikes
    1:09 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

with that side to side quickness and anticipatory skills, this kid will surely be good at “guarding his yard”

26. CardinalStrong
    1:23 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Come to the Ville!

27. bung
    1:24 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

If we run the table TJ will be more valuable in the draft….u hear that Terrence? Of course then so will Knight and Lamb.

28. UKFAN
    1:33 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Unless we have some people that leave that shouldn’t or we let some players out of their letter of intent (if requested) then next year is going to be special. Most likely we don’y lose Knight or Lamb. We have Miller and Liggins back. We have 3 players coming in that should all definately make an impact immediately and a fourth that with the playing time, will impress as well. Throw in the bench warmers that won’t see many minutes, but will provide experience in practice because they know the system and know what coach wants. Not to mention we may get a certain shooting guard (Lacey) that can light it up from 25 feet in. Honestly, if Lamb and Knight both stay, I wouldn’t mind signing a big man that loves defense and rebounding, even if he needs some polishing. At any rate, it should be special

29. Bruce Pearl/Jesus
    1:41 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky’s starting lineup next season:

Marquis Teague
    Brandon Knight
    Darius Miller/Deandre Liggins
    Mike Gilchrest
    Anthony Davis

Is totally unfair to me and shows the state of Kentucky’s lack of respect for my people. The persecution continues.

30. bung
    1:44 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Both of Cal’s years have been pretty good. Of course we shouldn’t have lost any games yet either year, with the possible exception of UConn.

31. Yroc53
    1:45 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

14.) Super Tuesday is whenever we have a game on Tuesday on ESPN. That is what they call their games that night. Two Keys is a bar in Lexington, doubt you would want to take a kid there.

32. Al's IndiCats
    2:13 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

17 I’m on the far west side, close to the Avon border.

33. IndyCatFan
    2:36 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#32. Nice to chat with another Cat fan up here in Hoosier Country !

34. Tyler Durden
    2:47 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Mr. Obvious: “We’re going to be really, really, really good next year.”

35. Rex
    2:49 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Our team would benefit more with Knight at the 2, although his future in the NBA is at the 1. That really shouldn’t be a problem for Knight’s future prospects though (see: Eric Bledsoe).

36. UKhoopshysteria
    6:21 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#28 I completely agree with your statement about recruiting a “big” whose game is centered around rebounding and defense. We need an enforcer inside. Someone who doesn’t care to do the dirty work. Cal needs to find us a Joey Dorsey type player.