Rivals ranks the top football uniforms in the SEC, Kentucky listed near bottom

The Kentucky football program has been experimenting with new uniform and helmet combinations since the start of the Mark Stoops era, but according to the fine folks at Rivals, it’s not enough to put the Wildcats in the upper tier of the Southeast Conference.

In fact, in a recent ranking of best uniforms in the SEC, Rivals listed Kentucky at No. 11 overall and No. 6 in the SEC East.

Here was their ranking:

9. Auburn
  10. Texas A&M
  11. Kentucky
  12. South Carolina
  13. Mississippi State
  14. Arkansas

Among 65 Power Five teams, the trio of Rivals experts – Mike Farrell, Adam Gorney, and Woody Wommack – all listed Kentucky lower than No. 35 overall, with Farrell putting UK at No. 42, Gorney at No. 40, and Wommack at No. 36.

While the ranking certainly isn’t favorable, Rivals did compliment UK’s unique combinations and chrome helmets.

“Kentucky has done a nice job of making things cool especially with the chrome helmets that pop with the blue uniforms,” Farrell said. “The traditional uniforms and helmets are nice but the combinations really intrigue me.”

Do you think Kentucky has the fourth-worst uniforms in the SEC?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

34 Comments for Rivals ranks the top football uniforms in the SEC, Kentucky listed near bottom

1. magimae
    7:18 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Get rid of the checker board look, PLEASE

• lexattorney
      8:00 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

YES!!! Get rid of that horrendous checkerboard shit and we’ll talk.

• dcforuk
      8:03 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

For whatever reason, I don’t like the checkerboard for b-ball uni’s but checkerboard for football does no bother me

• WKY Cat
      8:33 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Mitch will not give in on this one. It’s his baby.

2. BIGblueFootBallGuy
    7:22 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

?????

3. Cat68
    7:27 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Agree 100%

4. dcforuk
    7:38 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

No, I don’t agree. I like our various uni combos. The football uniforms are much better than our basketball uniforms.

5. truebluefootballfan
    7:45 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

While I do live the traditional look, I do think it’d be nice to see more combos, and to actually use some of the really awesome looking alternatives they use in recruiting instead of basically looking at the same ol style every week.

6. CatManDo
    7:47 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Alabama at 5 with their generic uniforms tells you these type rankings are based on tradition and winning.
    I have seen similar national rankings with Penn State and Notre Dame ranked high – if they had traditions similar to UK they wouldn’t even be mentioned.

• dcforuk
      8:01 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Good point. I like UK’s traditional plain basketball uniforms (like 98 team)

• UKinIN
      8:01 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Same point I was going to make. There is nothing cool about the Alabama uniforms other than, they’re Alabama.

7. lexattorney
    8:01 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

For those of you defending these uniforms I have 2 words: “checker” and “board.”

• dcforuk
      8:04 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Agreed for basketball

• RAGE
      9:47 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Still the checkerboard makes think of Tennessee end zones…

8. lexattorney
    8:02 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

And, CatManDo, Alabama and Notre Dame have NEVER done anything as atrocious or pain-inducing as the checkerboards.

9. sundanze77
    8:39 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

How about a BLUE CHROME…similar to what the Cards do with their Red Chrome?

10. UKgrad80
    8:47 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

1-LSU, 2-Ole Miss, 3-Texas A&M, 4-Georgia, 5-Auburn, 6-Kentucky, 7-Florida, 8-Missouri, 9-Tenn, 10-Vandy, 11-So.Carolina, 12-Alabama, 13-Miss St. 14-Arkansas.

11. peaches76
    8:51 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Top 5 have kept their traditional look. Our AD paid someone from somewhere to tell him we needed a different look, so we’re in checkerboards. Somehow Secretariat related? The horse ran once in the state of KY.

12. AirForceOne
    9:01 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s just a panel of Jerry Tipton Curmudgeons….that everything has to be a traditional uniform that hasn’t changed in a hundred years. Funny how UniWatch awarded Kentucky’s threads as the uniform of the year in college football.

13. madarchitect
    9:03 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky will not do anything “similar to what the Cards do”.

• bbn606
      10:58 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

So why do we do what Tennessee does with the checkerboards?

14. NOLAcat
    9:09 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Lol @ some of these comments.

I think they got the rankings generally right, except Tennessee, Missouri, and Vandy are way too high.

Our all white look is sharp as hell. The rest kinda suck, particularly the all blue look. It’s almost hard to stare at for 3 hours. Bring back the Power K, leave the checkerboard alone, and use more white or black and less blue.

• KyZoneBlitz
      4:11 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I love our uni’s, not huge on the checkerboard but dont think its atrocious (Atleast for football I mean). The one thing i wish they would do is get a black helmet to go with our black uni’s, love the chrome helmets, especially with the all white look, but I think black helmets would be pretty badass IMO. Also would love some helmets with the alternate logo on them, the Power-K, and even the oldschool UK with the Wildcat hanging over it, I love our combos now, but I think theres so much more they could do with them that apparently hasn’t even been thought of by some of the designers. Although I know 96% of our fanbase hates the checkerboards, if we do/dont have them, I could care less, it could be alot worse, just think, they could be the ENTIRE design of all of our uniforms, lol. Go Cats

15. east-ky-boy
    10:40 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

How’s Tennessee not 14th?

16. nocode96
    11:02 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m in the minority, but I tend to like just about every combo we have, even in basketball. Am not crazy about checkerboard, but I don’t hate it either by any stretch. Idk, I love the Kentucky blue and as long as it says Kentucky across the chest, I’ll probably always love it.

• lgmagruder
      11:12 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Don’t like checkerboards. Don’t like gray uniforms, either. While we’re at it, lets’s make our “K” look like a “K.”

17. ukkatzfan
    5:32 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

If Vandy is top 13, pollsters are blue haired 80 year old SEC female fans. AD should rebrand the whole program.

18. classof68
    9:11 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Another stupid beauty contest that means nothing. LSU, Georgia, and Bama haven’t changed their uniforms in well over 50 years. They’re only ranked that high because they’re good programs.

19. Buffalo Cat
    10:05 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Lose, in this order:
    1. Checkerboard
    2. Anything gray in color.
    2. Anything black in color.
    4. Chrome helmets.

What’s your favorite colors baby … ?

20. bbn606
    10:56 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

No uniform is as generic as Alabama’s. Apparently tradition has something to do with the ranking. UK needs to get rid of the checkerboard asap. Nothing says Tennessee as much as checkerboard. It’s a shame that we have to copy our rival and be original with anything.

21. Big Sexy
    11:00 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Let’s do this in true KSR fashion…..”UK has been insulted in our eyes. Grab the torches and pitchforks!! Follow me to Rivals.com”.

22. BowdenQB4ever
    11:43 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

That’s generous. They’re atrocious, we’d be so much better off with the generic Lorenzen era unis.

23. T-Town Cat
    12:26 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

I like most of our football uniforms, and agree that Bama’s are boring. I like the MSU color combo when the gave the white uniforms with maroon trim. That washed out gold that Missouri and Vanderbilt use has to be the ugliest look in America. I don’t understand why they are not 13 and 14.