Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich announced an extension for Rick Pitino today that will keep him on the Louisville sideline through 2022. He’ll retire at 70 years old if he lasts through the remaining 10 years of the contract.

There’s no way Rick has another 10 years in him, even he knows that. He said, “When I look at the situation, I am realistic. 10 years is a long time. But, I was born a New Yorker, I want to die a Kentuckian.”

Next move for Louisville basketball: Build a bigger training room.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Rick Pitino gets an extension but will likely pull out early before holding up his end of the deal

1. CatsFan4Life
    2:35 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

If only he had learned to pull out early in other circumstances….

2. twnky
    2:35 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I see what you did there drew lol.

3. SteveM
    2:37 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

“When I look at the situation, I am realistic…..sixteen seconds is a long time. I’ve died on many occasions in less time that that.”

4. Chas
    2:47 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

What a tragic figure! Pitino became a legend at Kentucky and could have built a Dynasty if not for effing around with the NBA.

I will never forget the way he ran Kentucky Basketball and the success he had here!

How sad….

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:48 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Haha, nice.

6. Wildcat4life
    2:49 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Is it me or does Pitino look like the Crypt Keeper in this photo

7. UKBlue
    2:49 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

UL is stupid for doing this, they can have another Denny Crum problem when it’s time to kick Rick & his walker or scooter out of UL. These stupid UL people still believe if they give him enough time 1996 Rick Pitino will walk thru the door. Speaking for the entire BBN, THANK YOU Tom Jurich & the entire UL Board of Directors for keeping this delusional idiot as your coach.

8. Mr Obvious
    2:51 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Noticed he didn’t say “die a Louisvillian”

9. Truth
    2:54 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Rick died as a Kentuckian when he took the job at UL.

10. Ryan Loftus
    2:57 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Wonder what he did to his head? He used to have a big bald spot on top and now it is gone? Is he a member of Hair Club of America? He needs a complete makeover if he is going to keep up with our clean Cal look. Man this cat has gotten ugly?

11. 859 man
    3:02 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

9 I agree

I can’t stand rick pitino, he’s a traitor. I hope he retires asap. I’m tired of hearing about him and I’m looking at him.

12. DougieFresh
    3:08 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

This is the best news UK has had all day.

13. LouisvilleSlugger
    3:13 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

For a program that doesn’t exist, you sure spend a lot of time and space on this site talking about it.

14. DONNIE CAPERS
    3:14 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Sweet so Cal gets to beat his ass another 10 years? McDonalds… I’m lovin it!

15. Raazoul
    3:17 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

13 – Don’t worry little brother, the season starts soon and we will have more important things to worry about. Hows that Final Four banner looking in the Yum? Proud of it? Good for you little guys…

16. jkwnekjnew
    3:21 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Drew, how dare you make fun of Rick Pitino on the day after NY got flooded.

17. UnknownFan
    3:26 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Could be worse…UL could have JokerThorpe and BrainFart at the helm for another 10 years.At keast they have The Yum Center and a modern Football Stadium with an 8-0 team playing in it.And UL never hired the likes of Billy The Drunk to run their program.
    This is ONE UK Alum that will always thank RP for that banner hanging in Rupp.It’s just a job folks,get over it.

18. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    3:57 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

He can’t die a Kentuckian coaching UL. He a Louis-villian all the way.

19. Matt Jones
    4:00 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I like to put on my zipper mask and slow jack to pictures of ricky p.

20. Musehobo
    4:19 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

18) Keep promoting your website. It still sucks.

21. smoke and mirrors
    4:26 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#20,LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. MadCatter
    4:42 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

13) We’re not talking about the program, we’re talking about the coach. New at comprehending, reading and understanding?

23. Jughead
    4:52 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Prick Latino for President.

24. smoke and mirrors
    4:53 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#20,I like to do the same with yours Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. SEXTINO FINITO
    4:53 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

as bad as he looks he’ll die before his contract expires.When does Sypher get out? He needs a 15 second tune up…Harr Harr Harr!

26. capt
    4:57 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

17) Amen!!!

27. Big Whoop
    5:35 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#6…or he could star in Walking Dead as a zombie. Dude looks sickly to me.

28. rainman
    5:51 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

AMEN #9, AMEN!!

Guess he’ll die a Loservillion!!

29. Wayne
    6:01 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe that on a day that this country is suffering through tragedy that U of L is talking coach contract extensions

30. MensBathRoom
    6:27 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Glad to see Drew Franklin still hides in out houses…

31. N. Tressting
    6:45 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

He did not say he wanted to die a Louisvillian.

He left the door open.

Perhaps because it is.

While basketball in Kentucky has become as much fun as it was when Rick Pitino coached the Cats, the question is: When will CAL leave?

And, if he leaves, who is next?

The door is open because the guardians of the programs have a plan.

Let it be.

32. Bigcat4453
    6:49 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#17 We haven’t had Ron Cooper and Kragthorpe running our program either. Not only that but my kids have actually seen my program win a National Title. How does a quarter Century PLUS sound to you?

33. LouisvilleSlugger
    8:25 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

23) When you talk about the coach, you are talking about the program. And this thread is just one example of my point. Also, the last time I checked (although I’m limited with just a doctorate degree), “comprehending” and “understanding” are synonymous, so you really only need to use one or the other. Which supports another of my opinions: I’m willing to bet that the average IQ of all UK fans is lower than that of all UL fans. I’m not saying all UK fans are illiterate, just that there are many ways to measure superiority. Congrats on your basketball national championship. Sorry about your football program. And coach. (This is known as “sarcasm.”)

34. Richard P
    8:45 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I hope Rick stays at UofL till hes 100!

35. UKBlue1!
    9:34 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Great News! The 1996 Pitino is not walking thru that door.
    #32 Cal has a plan to put UK back on top of college basketball. He is driven to win another championship. He also has a goal of coaching a perfect team. I think he knows his coaching legacy will be what he does at UK.

36. T_F_Licker
    9:38 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Rick is a traitor, but if not for him, UK basketball would likely not be where it’s at now. And guys, he did just go to the Final Four and lose to, IMO, one of the best teams we’ve seen in a long time. He’s pre ranked no. 2 this season, he may have just a little bit left in the tank!

37. Eh
    10:58 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I may be in the minority, but assuming we don’t hang number 9 until 2014, I wouldn’t mind seeing the old man win one for little brother. He brought us back from the brink, and ul will never be a threat to us.

38. Skeller03
    11:21 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Lol @ LouisvilleSlugger throwing out the “I have a doctorate degree” on an online message board. Things just got serious. He is obviously smarter than everyone on here. False. A degree is not a measure of intelligence. It’s a measure of dedication and, either a measure of how deep your pockets are or how much you’re willing to go in to debt. But what do I know? I don’t have a doctorate, so obviously my point is wrong.

39. Bulldawg
    1:44 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

@34 The difference between a “smart” U of L fan and a dumb one:

The smart one thinks of more creative ways to dream of fake titles.

The dumb ones try to claim fake titles in the year UK actually won the REAL title.

Keep telling yourself that UofheLL fans are superior to Big Blue fans. Afterall, you can just pretend that you have enough fans to have an all access show about your team that lost to the CHAMP in the final four. You can say you saw it on KET. We’ll belive you too because you have a degree.

40. CatomicBomb
    8:02 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I almost spit my morning OJ out when I read the title! L O Freaking L… But unlike Rick, I held it back for a few more seconds.
    Very Funny, very funny indeed.