Rick Pitino: Bitter Old Man

*Mar 13 - 00:05*

Okay, I know we’re all pumped about the Madness campout and the LSU game, but I need to talk about Pitino’s interview with Adam Zagoria some more. You know, the one in which he said how “dumb” UConn would be if they left the Big East for the ACC, comparing it his decision to leave “Camelot” for the Celtics back in ’97?

WTF, Rick Pitino. Did you double up on your dose of crazy this week? It’s okay, I know that and the Rogaine bottles are next to each other and it can get confusing. Let’s take another look at these comments:

“I almost went to Connecticut, it was Connecticut or UMass,” the Louisville coach told SNY.tv during an exclusive interview Tuesday at Hudson Catholic High School. “I remember when they were struggling to win the Yankee Conference. In all of sports, the greatest building job I’ve seen in my life was done at Connecticut. The Big East has taken them from a Yankee Conference school” to where they are now.

“With that being said, how can you want to leave? Why would you want to leave? My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot [Kentucky]. They’re leaving Camelot. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.”

– First, the Big East is NOT Camelot. I know this week must be tough for you, with the buzz of the Big Blue Madness campout fluttering around the state (in fact, you probably brought your old ’96 NCAA Championship ring out of the jewelry box and polished it with your tears), but please don’t compare that conference to us. Yes, Jim Calhoun has built UConn into a very powerful program, one that saved the Big East from humiliation earlier this year by winning the tournament, but that was UConn’s accomplishment, not yours, Rick, and not the Big East’s. I understand that if UConn leaves the Big East, it will crumble and Louisville might join the Big 12 and you’ll be forced to travel to Kansas City, and not New York for the conference tournament, but stop it. Watching you attempt a power play these days is just sad; almost as sad as me feeling bad for Louisville fans for what you’re doing to them.

– How do you think Tom Jurich reacted to Pitino’s statements yesterday? If only he had said them on-air then Jurich could have frantically attempted to use his magical powers to get the station off-air temporarily, or throw up an test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If Pitino keeps up with his Godfather-esque campaign to keep Louisville in the Big East despite everyone else saying that it benefits Louisville more to move to the Big 12, his relationship with Jurich may be gone completely, along with his job. The best thing to come out of this, aside from your comments about Kentucky being Camelot (the ultimate knife-twist to Little Brother’s fans)? At least Cards fans now know it’s never been “Louisville First,” it’s always been “Pitino First” (and then only for 15 seconds).

37 Comments for Rick Pitino: Bitter Old Man

1. RP_McMurphy
    4:14 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Irrevlant

2. BravoBigBlue
    4:17 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Pitino has to bring up his days at UK to make himself relevant. He is really a sad, pathetic, little man, with 15 seconds worth of stamina. The women must be lined up!

3. Enes Rhymes With...
    4:19 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Butler has made the National Championship game two years in a row. If they left the Horizon League they would be making an excellent choice. The Big East is not the Horizon League, but it is not Camelot either. UConn is significantly better on their own than the Big East is as a collective, sorry little brother, you bring nothing to the table.

4. LOLWhut
    4:23 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

“but that was UConn’s accomplishment, not yours, Rick, and not the Big East’s.”

Oh, nonsense. It’s the same thing as fans from other SEC schools claiming BCS dominance because of what Auburn, LSU and Alabama have accomplished.

5. comon son
    4:24 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

I hope everyone realizes that this has a lot more to do with Football than basketball. Rick should know this as well.

6. Jax Teller
    4:25 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

I think the Pitino quote may have been misconstrued. The author reported him saying “My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot…” but there’s more to it than just that. Pitino continued by saying “My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot East with the boys. We went to the Solid Platinum, a complete dud. The ladies were fine at Camelot East, and we left for the lunch buffet C-team. It was terrible. I knew after 15 seconds this wasn’t the place for me, but the boys wanted to hang out for another 20 minutes until Cinnamon finished on the main stage. We rolled out from there and went to grab a bite to eat at Porcini’s. It was there I met one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. The rest is history.”

7. Big Blue 66
    4:33 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

It is absolutely clear that Ricky Poo can never get over his bad decision to leave UK. It haunts him, not sure if it is funny, sad, or what.

8. Kanter Banter
    4:37 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

4) you forgot Florida and Tennessee

9. Joker Blows
    4:39 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

4 did you forget Florida and Tennessee…they won a few BCS recently too.

10. Jim Rome
    4:40 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Rack em!

11. kyeric
    4:43 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

What happens when two Rogaine bottles are next to each other? Now, I am confused.

12. UKfansinLouisville
    4:57 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

4. So what are you saying? Are you agreeing with Pitino and his continually bizarre and hyperbolic statements?

13. TheWaitFor8
    5:15 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

It always blows me away to hear Pitino comment on UK. Have you ever heard of a coach so openly promote another school? A school that is his current rival. A school he recruits against? It’s bizarre!

14. duder
    5:23 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

i wonder if Mrs Pitino agrees with his biggest mistake is leaving Camelot, or maybe banging that blond for 15 seconds….

15. galtoid
    5:39 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Pitino’s cache in the basketball world depends on his being a BE coach. Big 12 just doesn’t cut it with his ever-present posse, his culinary tastes, or maybe even the pool of ladies he will certainly be trolling. Lawrence, Kansas ain’t no NYC, and this has him cringing on many levels.

16. Paducahfan
    5:55 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

He looks like Al Pacino in Devil’s Advocate.

17. CliffFrankLou
    6:12 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Rick says: And I’m not just the owner, I am a customer of the Hair Club for Men.

18. GODSAZNO
    6:19 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

In that photo Pitino is giving his ‘Saturday Night Fever’ pose. He kinda looks like John Travolta too.

19. Usernametaken
    6:40 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know, the quote seemed complimentary to his time at UK to me.

20. Doug
    6:49 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Hey my buddy Matt Morris right next to Walta and to the right of the evil one!

21. Funky gates
    6:50 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Coach Pitino does not use Rogain, He has the transplant of hair into his head. Several years ago he had a large baldspot on his head and now it is gone. He must have went to one of them hair clinics where they do that hair transplant. It looks pretty good and has helped him with the chicks!

22. catfan68
    7:30 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Tyler, great article!!!

23. Jimmy Buffett
    7:39 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

24. kramer
    7:59 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

I have a question since when did UL,all of the sudden become the greatest football team ever? To hear radio around here in Louisville, they have a great team and in a few years they will have a chance to win the Big 12, yeah right.These people are crazy to think they they can beat Texas, Okalahoma, and more and go to the BCS game…delusional fans.

25. Laker Cat 18
    8:08 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

That was the biggest mistake in his life? I would have guessed that mistake would have involved an italian restaurant, an abortion, & 15 seconds of his life.

26. ed sitzler
    8:29 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

When will you folks get over it? Pitino saved our program and is fully responsible for three champonship game appearances in a row and one national championship – partly responsible for Tubby’s. Without Rick take down the last two championship banners.He didn’t leave UK for Louisville, he left for the Boston Celtics. Odds are every last one of us would have done the same thing.

27. UKGoBigBlue
    8:45 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

This is so great a Hollywood writer couldn’t write it. I hope Pitino stays forever at UL, Pitino is going to provide UK fans unlimited moments of comedy. Knowing Pitino openly admits that the biggest mistake of his life was leaving UK, and knowing he is stuck at UL; seriously how does that get any better. Watching Pitino now is like watching the train wreck before the train totally comes off the tracks.

28. Skeps
    9:48 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Excellent writing. Pitino was wondering why we were talking about this on a day when Dr. Conrad Murray’s trial began.

29. Kenny H
    9:52 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

When he calls a 20 second time out what does he do with the other five seconds?

30. Jimmy Buffett
    10:02 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

29 posts?

31. Jimmy Buffett
    10:05 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

29: He tells his team to drive, penetrate and shoot; pull it back out if necessary.

32. BlueFins
    10:34 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

He is a pathetic shell of his former coaching self. I hope UL does land in the Big 12, just imagine the comedy and quotes coming from him then.

I can just imagine it now, Ricky walking into Stillwater in his Italian loafers, and one of the locals saying “boy, where you from?” Pitino, “New York City”. Local, “New York City?” “Boy, there’s only two kinds of people that come from New York City, and you ain’t running for no office.”

33. Awesome Troll
    11:23 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

I see so many posts about Pitino’s obsession with us. However, this guy turned our program around and talks well about us, but all we do is bash him. Maybe we should look in the mirror and realize that 30 percent of the posts on this “UK” website are about Pitino/CARDS. Maybe we are obsessed 🙂

34. Charles
    9:40 am September 29, 2011 Permalink

I wish Pitino would have stayed at Kentucky so we could have avoided the tubby smith debacle…….

If you want to bash someone, bash tubby for running the program into the ground for a decade.

We lost a decade folks due to tubbys failures…..
    A f*#%#in decade……

35. angry cheated upon wife
    10:26 am September 29, 2011 Permalink

i might have something to say about that “biggest mistake of my life” bit

36. karen sypher
    10:31 am September 29, 2011 Permalink

#35 me too

37. ERStLouis
    11:08 am September 29, 2011 Permalink

SUGGESTION FOR A POST, PLEASE: Related to this, I’d like to see a post from KSR comparing UofL midnight madness buzz with UK. I know there is no real comparison, but that would be the fun. How about pictures and information about the UofL camp-out for tickets (if they have that). It would really show the huge gulf in fan support and love for the basketball programs between the two schools’ fan bases. Matt and Beisner are in Louisville so it should not be difficult to pull off. Pictures could be similar to those previously used to make fun of our little brother to the west, with “L”s up and all the other glory of UofL fandom. Yes, please!!!