Some notes from today’s press conference….
– Brooks got a little testy when asked about Louisville “pounding their chests” and celebrating for beating Trevard Lindley in Saturday’s game. He said that soemtimes even All-Pro corners get beat for touchdowns and added this line: “I hope people keep going after Trevard Lindley. Pound your chest and go after him,” Brooks said.
– When asked about what he saw when he watched the Louisville tape, Brooks said matter-of-factly that the were still two fumbles and an interception, which showed his displeasure. He said the staff is still not happy with backside pursuit on defense, which they stated after the game
– When asked what he was happy about, Brooks said he was very pleased with how the defense responded in third quarter against Louisville. He said they were “fatigued”, “tired” and that they were under “extreme duress”, but still managed to hold strong and give the team a chance to stay in the game and eventually win.
– Brooks also said that he thought the Cats ran the ball well against Louisville, but was disappointed with the last possession when they were unable to run the clock out.
– Said DeQuin Evans took a major step forward against Louisville and will be an “outstanding player” if he stays healthy. Brooks said Evans will only get better, but he still has a lot of work to do.
– UK says Florida and Alabama games are sellouts, warn of counterfeit tickets
– The Alabama game will be the SEC Network game and will kick off at 12:20
– On the injury front, Kyrus Lanxter still doubtful, Antwane Glenn out with flu, Jorge Gonzalez might not practice tom. with MCL strain, Moncell Allen has quad bruise (should be ok) and DeQuin Evans hip flexor that might keep him out of practice this week
– On Florida: Brooks said that UK’s schedule makes it “Seems like we always get them when they’re mad”. He said he expects them to want to come in and show how explosive their offense really is after not lighting it up Saturday against Tennesee.
– Brooks said all the nice things about Florida (team speed, tremendous overall team) and Tebow (one of the great football players in college history), but specifically complimented the Gator defense, which he said had “no weakness” and was “spectacular”.
– On his team’s chances, Brooks said that the Cats obviously have to find a way to score or else they won’t have any chance.
– Brooks was asked about how you get a team motivated to win against a team like Florida and he said “It’s a lot easier to build mental belief when you’ve been there and done that,” alluding to the LSU win at home two years ago. Brooks went to add that when he got to UK, there weren’t any players that had experienced significant wins and they’ve been able to change that in the last 3 and a half years.
– On eliminating mistakes early against Florida, Brooks ushered this line: “Once that truck gets going downhill, it’s loaded with rocks and it will crush you”. Let’s hope that truck has its parking break on.