Rex Chapman on Nerlens Noel

In case you hadn’t heard, Rex Chapman has been contributing college basketball analysis to NCAA.com this season — yes, we’re very jealous — and today he has a very good piece on Nerlens Noel.  The former Kentucky star churned out over 1,200 words about Noel’s ACL injury, what it was like to watch the injury on live television, and how he’s gotten to know Noel over the past few months.

His advice to Noel at the end of the article was my favorite part:

Injuries and rehab are every bit a part of basketball as are blocked shots and floor burns. So, Nerlens, take it fast and it won’t last. Take it slow and you’ll go. Try to rest up and enjoy it all – from the rehab itself to the ice baths afterwards. From the tears of frustration and those of pain to every little stride you make between now and the time we get to see you back healthy -— as a bigger, better and badder Nerlens Noel on the basketball court. Take a deep breath and exhale. Look around and take it all in. Because I promise, you’ll be back on the grind before you know it, homeboy.

You can read the rest here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Rex Chapman on Nerlens Noel

1. rainman
    2:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Well get him off him, he has a bad knee!

2. MJ4UK
    2:26 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Glad he is doing some analysis, I’ve missed him, and I still think he shoulda won that dunk contest. I still hate Dee Brown

3. KSR app
    2:29 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I suck!

4. The Blue Goose
    2:31 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nice article by King Rex.

5. JKUK
    2:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

There’s a KSR app??

6. KBF
    2:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

You can run and tell THAT, Homeboy.

7. Wow
    2:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

That last bit by Rex just gave me chills.

8. asdf
    2:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nice piece by Rex. He wouldn’t say it himself, but he has, like Nerlens, been the injured Wildcat lying broken on the court with BBN looking on helplessly.

9. RealCatsFan
    2:50 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Great article by one of my favorite Wildcats!

This paragraph caught my attention:

“I have to give credit to the NCAA for doing something exemplary in the past year. They created a Student-Athlete Insurance Program which allows up to $5 million worth of insurance – financed by the NCAA – for a premium of roughly $40,000 per year which guards against a catastrophic or career-ending injury.”

I assume that is the insurance policy Cal was referring to. If so, is the athlete responsible for the premium, or does the school cover that? I remember reading about Cal lobbying for a program similar to this.

10. asdf
    2:53 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

The insurance ought to be an automatic perk for every player. It’s the least the schools can do.

11. Roland
    2:53 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Rex has a good hand at writing.
    Things at UK were not that good for him at the end of his time there. source:

Yet, he takes the Class role in life.

Salute to you, Rex!

(had to look several times to see who was in the pic on this post)

12. catfan20591
    2:54 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

wow, look at Rex dishing out the homeboy vernacular.

13. bung
    3:06 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

8) I was at that game when Rex got undercut and went down…scary…Rex was an awesome Kentucky player…man he could sky… and shoot the 3…

14. Good luck Nerlens
    3:12 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

King Rex single handily shot down the old saying white boys can’t jump!
    11) if you are talking about how some frowned on him for dating black girls while at UK. I would say that was by some some in the AD. I’m guessing they probably are all gone from UK, but the BBN never waivered on King Rex. He was one of the most beloved cats ever! I really can’t think of anyone MKG included who had that much fan support.

15. Chad
    4:01 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Parents named their kids after Rex! Still remember the behind the back reverse in the dunk contest!

16. Roland
    4:52 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Kids named their parents after Rex. (only the lucky ones)

17. Axe Cop
    4:57 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

5. I was dumb enough to buy that piece of garbage at one point. There is absolutely no reason to use that thing over viewing site on a browser. No hyperbole, it is the worst App I’ve ever used. If it’s still available to purchase, Matt should be ashamed. Terrible quality cash-grab garbage. It’s making me mad thinking about it.

18. RealCatsFan
    5:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

14, it was also a different era when Rex was playing ball at UK. Interracial dating was not as widely accepted as it is now – not just in Kentucky, but across the country. I would like to think that we have come a long way since then, but sadly there are still some people out there who are still stuck in that mindset. On the whole though, I think it would be much more accepted nowadays.

19. King Rex forever
    7:38 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

18) I agree with you 100%. That’s the only thing I hated when Rex came out with this a couple years back. Most will attach this to our state now just like the Texas Western game even though the other 2 teams in that FF where all white. Kentucky has always been unfairly judged a raciest state. Especially in the eastern part of the state when that is actually the farthest thing from the truth. Eastern Kentucky is the most tolerant part of a tolerant state in all actuality.

20. LuvDaCats
    7:42 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nice…………..

21. Duke Sucks
    10:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Did I do that?!!

22. catdaddyd
    12:33 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

#18 Interacial dating was acceptable for Kenny Walker, Ed Davender and James Blackmon at the time according to the story. And Rex says at least half of the two last bench players are white, and that is considered racist??? Back in the day, I heard that Rex and Mark Higgs”s sister had a baby together, any truth to that.