Rex Chapman Was Awesome….For Real

I remember Rex Chapman as the first player (along with Ed Davender and his goggles) that I thought was truly cool as a child. He was from Kentucky, could jump out of the gym and had white boy swag that even a boy from Middlesboro could appreciate. But Rex could play as well as the highlights below show. Chapman’s time at Kentucky was brief (two years when very few left so quickly), but his impact was tremendous. And for the (many) readers of KSR who might have missed Rex in all his glory, this video of the best of Rex Chapman at Kentucky is a must-watch.

Article written by Matt Jones

48 Comments for Rex Chapman Was Awesome….For Real

1. mocha
    9:44 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Love it

2. SpasticColitis
    9:47 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

“Please sir, I want some more.”

Just a special player and it was so fun watching him.

3. Big Blue 66
    9:48 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Rex was awesome, but ask him if he would have left early had it not been for the probation. In my most humble opinion, he left to run away from the program when the program needed him most.

4. Matt
    9:51 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

All you can say is thanks

5. Ruppeat Offender
    9:53 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

I met Rex at an Owensboro movie theater when I was a kid and it was the highlight of my young life. I have never been starstruck like I was meeting Rex. Of course I had my “CATS” and “#3” pins on my denim jacket. I didn’t know what to say, but I eventually asked him how his back was (remember, he had a NASTY spill in his last game at UK where he landed flush on his back). Definitely my childhood hero.

6. kentuckyjoe
    9:54 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

He was great but if he had stayed one more year he would have been totally dominant. Maybe the greatest UK player of all time. But alas, he left. A shame.

7. Jobu
    9:58 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

#3 is #1

8. slim
    10:00 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

The most popular player I have ever seen at UK. They did not call it Rexington for nothing. I am glad to see him embracing the program now. For a long while I felt like he wanted to forget about us. However he may have had good reason too.

9. Crazy Talk
    10:04 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

I heard Jim Rome interview him a year or two ago. Rex said had he not left early for the NBA, he would have likely transferred to uofl. He actually said that.

10. tom5673
    10:07 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Nators.

11. Le Sigh
    10:14 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

One of UK’s finest. Can you imagine Rex in Cal’s offense? ::Chills::

12. sexyrexy
    10:17 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

6) he is the greatest UK player of all time, hands down, can dunk on you with force, can shoot the trey, can run the point, great passer, has every shot, great defender, shot blocker, nobody at UK has ever been that multi-dimensional

13. DirtyD
    10:20 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

I loved watching Rex play!! He was way ahead of his time,he blocked shots stayed in passing lanes getting steals, could shoot better than any other uk player I have ever seen and could jump with anybody.Rex could shoot in the paint or the hash mark didn’t matter. I would have loved to have seen him play for cal!!!!!!

14. tom5673
    10:33 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

rex belongs in the rafters. no excuses. he was the most popular player in uk history. period.

15. BeerCanChicken
    10:36 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Is this Rex or a close friend posting these videos are rockfishangel? It seems so.

At any rate, I definitely enjoy the videos!

16. JBR
    10:43 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Without question the best pure basketball talent ever at UK…to come in and do the things he did and dominate games as a freshman was unreal. He is often forgotten because he only stayed two years, plus leaving just before the probation…but he was a man among boys. One of the few players that has talent to transcend time,i.e. if you took him at 18 back then, and injected him onto this team today, he would still be the best player on the team, period. He was that good, and I am grateful that I was able to watch him play.

17. Dustin
    10:50 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s like Travis Ford meets John Wall! Travis Ford’s savvy and shooting skills with John Wall athleticism….. I ammo young to remember King Rex but the video is great, thanks for sharing.

18. Dustin
    10:51 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s like Travis Ford meets John Wall! Travis Ford’s savvy and shooting skills with John Wall athleticism….. I am too young to remember King Rex but the video is great, thanks for sharing.

19. JPhelps
    11:01 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

What’s remarkable is his ability to shoot without being fully squared to the basket. Thats a trait thats almost scarce in todays game. Players that can contort their bodies due to contact and still get it to fall. He’s the first player I remember as well.

20. AZBlueCat
    11:19 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Really cool to see that footage again. Fun to hear Tom Hammonds on the call and Jim Engle on the PA. Great memories.

21. Doug
    11:48 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

Imagine if Rex would have had a coach like Pitino or Cal instead of 5 pass Eddie. Can you imagine him on some of those mid 90`s teams or with the bigs we will have this year? He only had Lock and Madison who was what 6-6? That is why Villanova beat us 2nd round. .I believe. Davender was one tough little guard too.

22. svoboda
    12:02 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

I am from Owensboro and was in middle school watching him play his soph-sr high school years. He was special and we all knew it. Some of my best memories are the Apollo vs. Owensboro battles at the sportscenter, standing room only with the smoke hovering high in the air near the ceiling(you could smoke in the building then). Those games were incredible! Talent like that does not come around very often.

23. No dancing allowed!
    12:06 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Plexy plexy Mr. Rex! BBN!

24. Eddie D
    12:21 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Where is MY highlights?!?!?

25. Car89
    12:34 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

#9). Correct. Rex didn’t care much for Kentucky. Great player. One of the most exciting ever. But the love only went one way. What a shame.

26. blue balls
    12:45 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Nice effort by the ref at 3:57.

27. i heart aunt becky
    12:49 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Is that a young Ted Nugent in the middle?

28. Garrick Tackett
    3:01 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

I grew up in Union County,KY. My dad took me to see him play when he was a senior at Apollo. The gymnasium was packed. People came from all over to see him play. I was in the sixth grade, and the next two years of my life were some of the best in my 37 years on this earth. He was definitely my childhood hero. I am so happy that KSR has given Rex so much attention lately on the website. There is no old school UK player that deserves it more than him.

29. dick10,000
    3:58 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

He used the backboard to bank alot of those baseline drives and close in shots. That’s somewhat of a lost art as I hardly notice anyone doing that much anymore.

30. BFrey
    6:02 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

I remember when Rex was dominating Henry Clay in Memorial and after one basket, the pa announcer (over the loudspeaker, not the radio/tv) said, “write ’em down for Rex.” That was awesome.

He also used to drive a Camaro with I-Rex on the side instead of I-Roc…or so they said. Ha.

How about the Master Blaster? You know you’re good when you make Rob Lock look good. Kidding. Any word on if his and Valerie Still’s kid is a player?

31. mawoods15
    7:25 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

nice. I remember he was good, but forgot just how good. thanks

32. John Mark Trent
    8:07 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

What woulda, coulda, shoulda…ah, what could have been…UK in glory and Rex leading the way…

33. fred
    8:18 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

how do you turn off that music?

34. Rob Locke
    8:23 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Rex would have been nothing without me. Did you see how many times I was there to make sure the ball went all the way through the net? At least worth some assists right?

35. bung
    8:55 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Fast Break

36. GummyBear
    9:13 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Chapman would have loved the DDMO. I had forgotten how good he was at that floater in the lane.

37. BFrey
    9:36 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

My favorite Rex memory was when Apollo played Henry Clay (and Sean Sutton) in Memorial. During the game, the PA announcer (not the play by play or color guy…the one over the loud speaker) said, “write ’em down for Rex” after he dropped about 10 in a row. Most of the crowd (HC fans) booed. I cheered.

38. JR
    9:38 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Off the subject a little. When did UK switch to the opposite bench? In the video the UK bench was left of the scores table and now they are on the right. Can anyone tell when and why they did this.

39. CatsFan2613
    9:46 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

This video has brought tears to my eyes… beautiful…

40. CatsFan2613
    9:49 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

This has brought tears to my eyes… Beautiful… Chapman Was the most fun Player to ever watch

41. jba
    9:56 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

42. UK Travis
    10:04 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

The block right around the 9:30 mark makes this video worth watching by itself… this guy could FLY!

43. ajhjack
    11:10 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

I was at Ky Wesleyan when Rex’s dad coached and Rex was at UK. I remember when the campus would get word Rex was at the gym shooting around. We’d cram around the windows and just watch. It was awesome.

44. Proof Read UR Sh..
    11:27 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

Thank you Rex for some of the most exciting plays in UK history. I remember being scared several times, when Rex would crash to the floor, on a fast break dunk, from someone undercutting him, etc. I loved to watch Rex, and was sad that he left, but think he did what was right for him, and like Coach Cal says, “players first”. Don’t put him down for leaving, considering the possibility of getting a career ending injury was ever present for his high flying style of play. Long live King Rex, the best to you and yours.

45. mashburnfan1
    11:53 am September 8, 2011 Permalink

It still is Rexington to me. Loved watching King Rex play. Still remember that hard fall and scream of pain when he broke some small bone in his lower back I believe. I don’t think he was the same after that, if not the injury maybe the mind thinking of it. Still he had great athletic ability, awesome shot and knowledge of the game. Wish we had another King Rex but enjoyed seeing the original again.

46. Louisville blooows
    12:23 pm September 8, 2011 Permalink

WOW! Rex you are a BAAADDD MAAANNN!

47. Alan Richeson
    3:44 pm September 8, 2011 Permalink

I played bball with Rex many times at the Y and legion park in Owensboro. He is the greatest high school player I have ever watched. Ill never forget those days at the sprtscenter when he dominated every team.Im sure I’ll see him soon and have a nice chat.

48. dumptruck
    3:46 pm September 8, 2011 Permalink

Good video, but terrible, terrible background music.