Remember that time Wiggins said, “We’d be the best college team ever”?

Let’s visit the video vault this afternoon to put a smile on our faces as we sweat out these final hours of the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.

Our man Bradley “B-Roll” McKee caught up with Wiggins during the McDonald’s All-American festivities back in March and captured one of the better soundbites from his’ recruitment…

“We’d be the best college team ever,” he said about next year’s Kentucky team, if he chooses to become a Wildcat. “The impact on college basketball would be crazy. I think if I went to that team, we’d win it all for sure, because, there’s nothing anyone could do with me, Julius, the Harrison twins, Marcus Lee, Dakari and James Young. That’s something special.”

Now give us something special. College basketball needs it.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Remember that time Wiggins said, “We’d be the best college team ever”?

1. Nash
    6:22 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink
  2. SOMEONEPLEASEMAKEITSTOPICAN’TTAKEITANYMORE!!!!!
    Checking on this is like an addiction I can’t kick, and that’s coming from a teetotaler!!! Someone push me away from the comp!!! 🙂

3. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    6:24 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Either way it goes down. Uk still has the best class ever assembled on paper. Hopefully that alone equates to a successful season ending with #9. The only difference his commitment means is whether or not our second squad is top 10 or top 25. Icing on an already delicious cake. No worries uk enthusiasts. Enjoy the ride.

4. David
    6:24 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

God, how could you honestly turn that down? If he joins us, he’ll be on a team better than the team he gets drafted to.

5. David from Bowling Green
    6:26 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I like the way he thinks! (so far)

6. jmfatz47
    6:26 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I think we get him. The small press conference was ALWAYS going to be the case when he announces. Ultimately, it will be in his best interest to practice against the best everyday. Not to mention we have the best shot at a title

7. Cholmes
    6:34 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

“It would be something special”
    Surely he’s a cat.

8. Sweets
    6:35 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Remember Nerlon was a lock for G-TOWN before he announced. Everyone was wrong:)

9. bosshog
    6:37 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I think our only chance is that his coach would like to see him at Kentucky and he obviously realizes just how special the opportunity could be. Otherwise I think everything else is stacked against us in this case, including the desire of the majority of the media wanting to see Cal lose.

10. Broken Record
    6:39 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

He ain’t coming folks. Just accept it. You’ll thank yourselves later.

11. South American Point Guard
    6:41 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see him at UK, but I think the parents pressure was too much and he will end up at FSU. It’s a shame really. I do think HE wants to go to UK but the parents don’t.

12. Jeff
    6:45 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #4 and #11. This seems almost like a no brainer decision for him in every way to come to UK, but I think the parents convince him FSU.

13. Bryant
    6:49 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I think the most relevant info is the stuff that has actually come out of his mouth about the recruitment. You have this video here where he talked about how awesome it would be to play for UK. You also have his quotes about what he is looking for in a program with wanting to win being his top priority and a place where he can prepare for the next level. He has been tight lipped through the whole process so I think you have to pay extra attention when he actually does talk. Thats why I think he picks UK. I’m just not understanding this late push for FSU

14. gog8ors
    6:55 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins to Florida State. Done deal, UK almost got all of the recruits they went after but they didn’t get the top ranked player in the nation.

15. BBN
    6:55 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Strangely, I have the same feeling about the Wiggins announcement as I had before the Michigan / Louisville title game.

16. Feesh
    6:55 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

UK = jock sniffer U
    You all have gotten flat out weird over this kid. At one time I felt sorry for him if he decided to pick a school other than UK. Now I feel sorry for him if he does pick UK. Honestly, if I was him I would run as far away from you weirdos as possible.

17. Gossip Hound
    6:59 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

2012: wiggins reclassified to 2013
    2013: wiggins goes back to 2014
    2014: wiggins decides to go to Europe for a yr

18. Hey_Fred
    7:01 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#13. Exactly… so much talk about why wiggins is gonna go to FSU or KU and y he will not attend UK… but every time wiggins says anything relevant its pro UK… anything is possible with a young kid in his position but im still feelin UK on this one

19. mike
    7:02 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey feesh whos your college basketball team? If it aint UK get out of here cause no other team even matters

20. Knows better
    7:07 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I too think he going to Europe for a year. A million dollars is hard to say no to.

21. Stony
    7:23 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones just tweeted that Kansas coaches are saying that got Wiggins. Who knows!!!! This needs to end now.

22. we'd shot a bear
    7:24 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

“we’d”, as in “we would” be great if I end up committing to UK, is nothing to get excited about.

“we will” would be a lot more revealing

23. Heyy_Fred
    7:38 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

its not so much what he said as it is how he kinda stuttered when he said the “if” and we “would” as if he were about to say “when” and we “will”… lol could just be a stretch of optimistic hope no my part lol

24. jymbo
    7:42 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

As much as I’d like to say UK, I believe it will be FSU. He wants to be the man and follow in his Dad’s footsteps.
    Iwill just be glad it will be over with, so everyone can just move on. I wish him well , whereever he goes , unless it’s UNC lol.

25. Tampa Satchel
    7:51 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got to agree with Feesh and I’m a UK grad. He’s not on our team yet, until then check the over-the-top adoration. You sound like the Dungeon and Dragon nerds talking about what girls they want to kiss as they sit in their parent’s basement on a Saturday night.

26. Jason
    7:52 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

If I follow my dad footsteps I be in prison.

27. gog8ors
    8:08 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

not hap’nin boys. FS bound. Unlike the rest of you, i have sources.

28. NineWillBeFine
    8:12 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

gaytors fan…

Do you seriously not have anything better to do at around 8pm than check UK fan sites and troll? That’s pretty sad, man. Reevaluate your life.

29. bbn4life
    8:14 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

watching this gives me renewed faith he will be a cat…I 100% guarantee he might become a part of BBN

30. Richard Thistle
    8:30 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

27. what do you expect? he is a fan of a program that never ever sells out a game unless UK comes to town. He just wants us to think he’s connected and special. oh, he’s special alright.

31. Richard Thistle
    8:31 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

meant for 28

32. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    8:40 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

At UK teams would never be able to double team Wiggins.

33. Carolyn
    9:44 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Who is the Bob Fescoe guy that is giving Andrew Harrison a hard time on twitter? He is saying a lot of awful stuff to the kid.

34. GoBigBlue71
    10:15 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Hope he picks BBN, but of all the recruiting years, I personally will be glad when it is all over. He has drug this out to the point that I don’t care where he goes.

35. Some Guy in Kentucky
    10:49 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#33 If you check, all of his 35 followers on twitter are in Kansas. So, he is a Kansas fan.

36. Don
    11:36 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Everyone has said he will go to fsu beacuse the parents went there. My question is if that is the case why did his brother go to wichita state. I would think if the brother did not go to fsu, why insist that Andrew go to fsu?

37. #36
    8:03 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

@ #36… because his brother sucks and probably didn’t have an offer from fla st.