Reese Witherspoon’s Monday News and View

Reese

I have written a lot of words today. If you haven’t yet checked out my rundown on where Andrew Wiggins may go or my post on the changes upcoming for KSR, please do. They contain a lot of info and are worth checking out. Because I am now tired and have a busy day tomorrow, my night post is going to be just a few quick hitters starting with our girl Reese Witherspoon above. If you haven’t seen the reports yet, Reese Witherspoon was arrested this weekend with her husband, when they were pulled over for suspicion of her husband driving under the influence. Read the story before you get to the rest of this, as it is worth understanding. As the officer came to the car, Reese stared showing out and did a number of things that make us cringe:

1. She told the police officer she didn’t believe he was a real police officer: An interesting start by Reese…rather than diffuse with her Southern charm, she immediately decided to accuse the officer of committing a felony…maybe not the smoothest of opening moves.

2. She Says “Do You Know My Name” and responds with “You’re About to Find Out Who I Am!”: This is not a good look Miss Witherspoon. There is nothing worse than someone trying to play the celebrity card and there may not be a more obnoxious phrase for a human being to utter than “Do you know who I am?” I wonder what she thought he would do if he knew who she was? Maybe had she shown some early charm (and if he was a fan of “Legally Blonde 2”), the Reese card gets them off. But since she has already been hostile, that won’t work. So does she think that being a part of “Sweet Home Alabama” was going to scare him? Odd move.

3. She Stated She was a US Citizen who could “Stand on American Ground!”: I admit that I don’t even know what this means. Yes she is an American citizen, but I assume the cop wasn’t worried that the “Water for Elephants” star didn’t have her green card, but did she think that there is a right to “Stand on American Ground” while you are getting arrested? I am used to people incorrectly stating their “rights” (the lack of understanding of what “Freedom of Speech” means is hilarious), but Reese sets a new bar here.

So she talked her way into an arrest and national news. Not a good look for Reese, who I loved in “Walk the Line” and who has always seemed sweet. Worst of all…she was driving a Ford Focus. Times must be hard for bubbly blondes everywhere.

A few quick hitters:

— The UK Players looked good in the Nike Hoop Summit. Julius Randle is a freaking beast and we knew that, but I came away just as excited about Andrew Harrison. The Hoop Summit is the only All Star game that resembles a real game, and not surprisingly, Harrison looked amazing. He can take guys off the bounce and score at will, and he leads his team well. The World team was just better (which did surprise me slightly) but Randle/Harrison (and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson…going to Arizona) were the clear starts of the US team. Andrew Wiggins was also impressive, but I am not getting my hopes up. I can hang with the Twins, Randle and the rest of the crew as far as I need to go.

Archie Goodwin opinion is now all over the place. I talked to a NBA scout Friday who said he will go in the second round. Others still think he will sneak into the Top 20. I want things to work for Archie but the longer it goes, the tougher it looks for him, I still think he will end up doing really well in workouts, which should help his stock. But the jump shot has to improve…which is all he should be doing from now until then,

— I loved the Jacob Hyde lawn mower picture. Who knew the Clay County prom entrance was such great theater?

— A huge weekend for UK football with the commitment of 4 star Running Back Mikel Horton from Ohio. UK now has two 4 stars and one 3 star in the class and the first building blocks for what could be an unbelievable haul. Even more importantly though, the buzz is on for UK football in a way that has simply never been the case before. Horton told Justin Rowland that he thinks there are 10-15 guys ready to commit to UK and 8 or so have offers. Loading up early this summer, before the growing pains of this tough season come to fruition, could be huge for a staff that continues to impress me by the day.

— I have written a ton about Wiggins, so I wont write any more than this. Don’t read anything into Calipari not visiting this week. He used his visits a couple of weeks ago and likely thought it was more important to talk to him before he hung with his future teammates than after. This week is a row of coaches saying the same things…Calipari may have stood out. Or he may not have. We honestly don’t know. But we can hope.

I am ending early, with this video of 14 year old Seventh Woods and his mixtape. This has been around the internet and today was on Deadspin but I had never seen it. Dude is crazy good and the amount of views (over 2 million) is just silly:

Radio gets going in the morning live from a golf scramble with Ryan Lemond and me. I have been ready for a new week for the last seven days…let’s make this one better.

Article written by Matt Jones

35 Comments for Reese Witherspoon’s Monday News and View

1. Logan
    11:24 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

So Kevin Durant is 14?

2. J.Moon
    11:27 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Just another pompous celebrity who thinks they are above everyone else.

3. Hey, Frat Boy
    11:30 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like being in a Ford Focus was the only thing she did right. At least that’s not pretentious.

4. tennessee wildcat
    11:37 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Wow, that seventh woods kid is really good! I thought my boy was good, but he has a lot of work to do to even be able to guard this kid. Thanks Matt, for all you do!

5. DaveUK
    11:38 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

I rented a new Ford Focus a few weeks ago and it was a pretty dang good little car, with awesome gas mileage. I’d guess they had a rental car as well since they are a staple of rental fleets. Maybe if she took the upgrade it would have helped the officer “know who she was”, or not.

6. katzrjamers
    11:40 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

from the link to the Variety story:

>>Though he told an officer he had only a single drink hours earlier, Toth blew a .139 on a Breathalyzer test<<

BCG must have been his bartender.

7. Buckets
    11:41 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Holy crap that kid is amazing. And I, too, considered a Ford Focus when getting a new car. It gets like 40 mpg. But I went with a Camry instead.

8. This Is It...
    11:59 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Matt…Get to listen to the show tomorrow, BUT please not the empty suit again…Mary Jo is where it is Matt and your audience will grow like the spring game…RL is the absolutely worst part of the show…

9. Blue Gray
    12:04 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

No way this kid is 14. Right?

10. cracka
    12:17 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

ksr already linked this same video just a couple of days ago …

11. Ummmm
    12:30 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Cal needs to offer this kid like YESTERDAY. I you are just hearing about this kid, look at some of his other videos. There are a few of him working with a trainer, I think they are called the seventh woods project or something along those lines. The progress this kid made in a years time are insane. He wants to be the best. And we want him to play for us. Get ready people, the new “Best since Lebron” has been identified. Oh, and we should hire that trainer onto UKs staff too. Guy is legit

12. NEWMAN
    12:52 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Scouting report on Seventh Woods that every school in the clip seems to ignore: He likes to go to his left.

13. Han
    1:05 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Just a note. I typically believe police officers are doing their job right (aside from the ones who speed without their lights or siren, or the ones who tells random people not to do something that isn’t illegal and doesn’t threaten the officer’s safety).

My brother once got waved through a traffic stop, along with the four cars in front of him, only for an officer farther up the road to cite all of them for driving through the traffic stop. Most of them did not contest it, because it would have required a lot of effort and would be a he-said he-said between them and a cop.

Unless we get the cruiser video or Witherspoon confirms this information herself, the officer may just be trying to seem like a big man. There are always cases of officer misconduct, especially concerning celebrities, like the idiot here in KY who posted a photo of arresting a singer onto his Facebook.

Did Witherspoon do that stuff? Probably. Was she drunk? Probably. Should we take the officer’s report as gospel? Nope. I’ve never heard of an officer admitting they did anything wrong during a traffic stop or arrest unless it was on video or observed by a bunch of reliable witnesses.

Also, the Ford Focus is the most popular car on the road. Not all celebrities want to drive blatantly expensive cars.

14. KentuckyBlue
    1:06 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I think I will still feel good for Andrew Wiggins if and only if the school he goes to other than UK is Florida State, he can think he’s winning a championship there, or Jabari at Duke, but Julius is getting that championship in ’14 proving its all about the twins.

15. SadCat
    1:21 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I fear you might be bipolar.
    You may be in the manic phase.
    5% of us are bipolar…
    just saying, based on the excess writing.

16. Seven Costanza
    2:30 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

What kind of idiotic parents name their kid “Seventh”? Talk about giving a guy no self esteem, and no hope of ever succeeding in life. They at least could have named him Second or Third, so he’d grow up feeling like he had a snowball’s chance in hell.

17. Kevin C.
    2:35 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

The freeze frame shot for the vid is hilarious….poor little white kid is just trying like hell to not end up like Timofey Mosgov.

18. "I Hate UT orange" Bama fan
    2:41 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’d have tazed da b1tch just for namin’ her kid “Tennessee”. I’d still bust a nut in dat azz doh.

19. chipanzy
    3:04 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

That is one huge “lawn mower”. Looks almost like a tractor.

20. Dane Brammage
    6:10 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

How good are Wood’s older brothers, “First” through “Sixth”?

21. btowncatfan
    6:58 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

9. I was thinking the same thing. If this kid is 14, holy crap! I’m assuming these are high school kids he is playing against. Truly looks like a man against boys.

22. 2Blue4U
    8:08 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

That dude can sky! Has to be over 40″ verticle. He can handle the rock too. Come on down!!

23. Heisenberg
    8:31 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I believe Ms. Witherspoon was just exercising her rights as an American.

On a serious note can we get more pics of the Clay County prom entrance, I’m intrigued now

24. tombanjo
    8:33 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

you obviously don’t understand southern girls.

25. robuk
    8:36 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt a lot of your fans who have been part of your success drive cars like a Focus. We can’t all drive a Caddy. I’m sure Ms Witherspoon was in a rental and probably doesn’t own a Caddy which is far down the Hollywood elite “auto” food chain.

26. Teachable Mo'
    8:46 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Seventh Wood needs to work on carrying the ball a little more. He’s close to being a running back. As for his name, St. Paul reported he (St. Paul) was snatched up to the Seventh Heaven. (So he had that going for him.) I suspect a religious background.

#23 I’d love to think one’s rights as a citizen included smarting off to cops during an arrest, but I’m not sure what courts have ever mentioned that. My temptation, from the time a cop threw me out of St. Joseph’s Picnic (for something a friend of mine did. I was innocent!) when I was 12, has been to razz cops mercilessly. I suspect that 1) Witherspoon will be able to get the case against her dismissed and 2) she’ll never act in a movie as good as Election again. The two aren’t related.

27. Cleveland Brown
    9:04 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

I once used Ms. Witherspoon’s chin to cut open the door to a safe.

28. Dr. Tom
    9:07 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Matt we can see that you haven’t spent much time down on the farm!! Sorry but that is a tractor not a lawn mower. My lawyer son-in-law would probably have made the same assumption:) It is a rather small tractor but it is not a lawn mower. Keep up the good work Matt, you are the man!!

29. CATandMONKEY
    9:32 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

25, A lot of us don’t drive a Focus.

If you drive a Focus be proud. Give Matt some crap. Tell him how your Focus surpasses his ride in some obscure statistic but whining about you current economic situation does not become you.

If we can’t lightheartedly make fun of what each of us drive…shudder.

30. JackB
    9:35 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

The news in Atlanta said the Focus was a rental car. At least it was a Ford – the only US auto maker that hasn’t taken my tax money to keep operations going.

31. bleedblueky
    9:43 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

Morning Matt – totally agree with your thoughts about Ms. Witherspoon and they were exactly my points of view when I read this news and commented to my hubby last night (even the part of driving a Ford Focus). Too bad that she was one of our favorite actresses but not anymore 🙁

32. Big Blue 66
    9:59 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

money says hes really 16

33. Heisenberg
    11:43 am April 22, 2013 Permalink

#26 I was being sarcastic because I have heard that excuse before both on the interwebz and in real life. But yeah Election though great movie

34. JackSwagger
    2:19 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Has UK ever had a player from South Carolina?

35. Owen
    2:38 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Wow, someone took George Costanza to another level and named their kid Seventh. Impressive.