Recruiting Expert: Only Three Schools Have a Shot at Jabari Parker

After something of an expected disappointment this morning (we’ll be fine without Chris Walker), Adam Zagoria has some good news for Kentucky fans on the lookout for the 2013 class.  According to recruiting expert Roy Schmidt, based in Jabari Parker’s hometown of Chicago, only three schools have a decent chance of landing the elite wing prospect who’s currently atop the senior rankings.  According to Zagsblog:

Schmidt, who has known Sonny Parker for 15 years and Jabari for six, says Michigan State, Duke and Kentucky are the leaders.

“In reality, I think only three schools have a chance, Michigan State, Duke and Kentucky,” Schmidt, the editor/publisher of Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye, told SNY.tv at the Peach Jam.

“I do think that Kansas and DePaul have the most shots, but are not favorites in comparison with Michigan State, Duke and Kentucky,” he added. “I think those are the three favorites.”

This isn’t necessarily surprising to many who have followed Parker’s recruitment, although it is interesting to see BYU not on that list.  Parker, a Mormon, would have religious ties to the school that wouldn’t be available at the other institutions.  So if this is going to come down to a basketball decision, which it appears to be, Parker’s list is certainly rife with tradition.  From Cal to Coach K to Tom Izzo, all three programs have national championship coaches with illustrious careers.  For Parker’s personal goals though, whether it’s the NBA or a mission, it seems like he only plans on staying for a year.

On Kentucky: “Coach Cal, plain and simple. His track record speaks for itself in terms of putting players in the NBA and the fact that Jabari’s a likely one-and-done could definitely play in their favor.”

Count that as a factor heavily in Cal’s favor.  Whatever his decision is, we’ll know later this fall:

Parker, who is not here at the Peach Jam due to a foot injury, previously told SNY.tv he will announce in November.

Article written by Corey Nichols

16 Comments for Recruiting Expert: Only Three Schools Have a Shot at Jabari Parker

1. ngr
    11:17 am July 22, 2012 Permalink

When life gives you AIDS, make lemonaids

2. BBN
    12:01 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Matt: How is that monster 2013 class shaping up for Kentucky? How many top 20 commitments has Calipari secured so far? In Cal we trust…

3. bmt22033
    12:04 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

@2 – come back and ask that same question when the recruiting for 2013 is all finished…

4. Pony Kegg
    12:06 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

1-what in the heel is that supposed to mean? You trying to be funny? Well, you weren’t successful. Had a good friend die of AIDS after a blood transfusion. Not a lot of humore there, dipshcit.

5. bungwipe
    12:12 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

You know, I would love to have this kid, except that he’s Mormon. The company I work for is managed by several Mormons. I have been there for several years, and have seen them in action plenty of times. Not good, folks. How that cult ever got to be recognized as a viable religion is beyond me. I tell you, there god is money. That’s what they worship. The whole “religion” was founded by a convicted con-man. I tend to evalaute people by what they do, not what they say. When looking at what they do, the Mormons I know don’t measure up. Maybe this kid’s different. Just the same, I hope he goes elsewhere. Blast me if you like, but if you do, you don’t know Mormons like I know them.

6. cracka
    1:00 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

you’re basing your opinion of an entire group of people based on the actions of a small group that run your company?

7. Fbynyn
    1:09 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

5. You should give hiding your bigotry a good college try.

8. ItsStillSummer
    2:29 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

2) You’re an idiot! Like 3 said come back in a few months and ask the same question

9. #1ukfan
    4:16 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

All religions suck equally. Believing a con-man is no worse than believing in the bible that was written when they still believed the earth was flat and was put together by a committee! A committee selected the gospels! So a morman playing for UK is no different than a christian playing for UK.

10. bungwipe
    5:43 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

6- Where did I say those were the ONLY Mormons I have known? Try to keep up with the conversation, will you please?

7- No, if I did, then simpletons, like yourself, would never be presented with the truth.

9- Yes, believing a convicted conman is worse. I don’t recall Jesus getting arrested for trying to steal from gullible people.

11. Beavis
    6:23 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

Could be worse than a Mormon,,,,we could have a community organizer on the basketball team. Bungwipe,,,,get a life and don’t be such a MORON

12. bungwipe
    8:06 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

11- or, even worse, he could take a user name from a 20 yera old cartoon, or a 60 year old “Twilight Zone” character. Beavis…is that the best you can do. Butthead would be a far more accurate name for you.

13. Beavis
    10:18 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

BUNGWIPE,,,,,LOL and you think Beavis is bad. By the way,,,,thats 20 year,,not 20 yera,,,retard

14. Corey Nichols
    11:42 pm July 22, 2012 Permalink

All – I am seriously about to delete this entire comment thread. Stop being ridiculous.

15. Hoptown Hoophead
    12:47 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Beavis, I clearly think he made a typo. What’s your excuse? I agree with bungwipe, mormons are not good people. I think all you guys jumping on Bungwipe are some butt-hurt mormons.

16. Hoptown Hoophead
    12:48 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and Beavis, why don’t you go back to swinging on MMaggard’s nutbag, where you belong?