Rebecca Martinson’s Friday News & Views

rebecca_martinson_041913-400x470

Last week, University of Maryland Delta Gamma president Rebecca Martinson wrote the email to end all emails. Martinson wrote her fellow sorority girls to vent her frustration over their behavior at recent mixers. Okay, that’s the very polite way to say that she b*tched them out. The email immediately went viral and Martinson became a hero for mean girls and people who’ve ever had to deal with them everywhere. It also spawned a long line of parodies, including readings by Michael Shannon, Joe Pesci, and even a stop-motion Barbie performance on the YouTube show the “Most Popular Girls in School.” I would absolutely love to post the Shannon video on the site, but because it includes more swear words than even the drunkest sailor could come up with, I’m trusting that you’ll only click this link if you’re of age to hear such talk. If not, use headphones and don’t tell your parents.

Why am I just now dedicating a post to Rebecca Martinson? On Wednesday, she resigned as president of Delta Gamma, most likely at the behest of the national chapter and her school, which is kind of tragic to me. Is Martinson a crazy control freak with a penchant for four-letter words? Yes. Was the email humiliating for her fellow sorority gals? Definitely. But hey, at least she cared. Delta Gamma called her actions “regrettable,” and said that “all reasonable people can agree this is an email that should never have been sent by its author. Period.”

Whatever, I thought it was hilarious. Someone give that girl a book deal or a TV show. As a connoisseur of terrible reality television, I would watch it in a heartbeat.

And now, some notes from a truly slow day in Kentucky sports:

Wiggins Watch: zzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzz…nothing.

— Thursday night was the beginning of the NFL Draft and because they’ve managed to space it out over three days (way to milk it, ESPN), only the first round was shown. Needless to say, Larry Warford and Matt Smith were not selected, and will hope to hear their fates on Friday or Saturday. Warford is projected to go anywhere from the second to fourth rounds, while Smith is hoping to sneak in at the end. The good news for Warford: A LOT of offensive linemen went in the first round, which means he is now the best offensive guard left in the draft. The chances he’ll get picked in the second round just got much, much better. But please, Larry…watch Friday’s rounds with your family. Your grandma deserves a chance to hug her NFL playing grandson during that special moment. The video games can wait.

2014 DT Matt Elam picked up an offer from Indiana on Thursday, putting his current list of offers at Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky. Tennessee and Florida have also shown interest in the Elizabethrown giant, but so far haven’t offered a scholarship. I want Elam in blue not only because he’s a powerhouse on defense, but because he’s such a good interview. Also, blue is very slimming.

— In other 2014 football recruiting news, Mike Edwards tweeted a picture of all the mail he’s received from UK on Thursday night:

BIu7mloCEAA5kzs.jpg_large

Edwards was ready to commit to the Cats last week, but delayed his decision at the request of his coach and parents. He says he’ll announce sometime this summer.

— For what it’s worth, 2014 defensive end Denzel Ware tweeted that he was still considering the Cats on Thursday, along with Florida, Alabama, Troy and Florida State. Ware decommitted from UK earlier this month and is said to be a heavy Florida lean, so it’s not really worth a lot if you ask me.

— You know it’s the offseason when John Calipari starts shilling training products on his website. Calipari is selling nearly 40 videos of practice sessions detailing the various skilles and teaching points on shooting, defense, the Dribble Drive Motion Offense and more. The tapes range from two minutes to 20-plus minutes, and can be purchased on CoachCal.com. Someone go buy one so we can watch some of the old practices, please.

Jahlil Okafor, the number one player in the 2014 class, sat down with John Wall recently to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the American Family Insurance ALL-USA boys basketball team, to which they were both named. Okafor, who is considering Kentucky along with Duke and several others, asked Wall some questions about his career and got some pretty standard responses, but this one about his best college memory stuck out to me:

That’s a tough one. I’d have to say either Big Blue Madness or the NCAA Tournament. Big Blue Madness was just crazy. You’ve got 24,000 screaming fans and then I had the dance; plus that’s the first time I really got to interact with the fans. The tournament was great too.

Hear that, Jahlil?

— Speaking of the 2014 class, we posted the first version of the 2014 Kentucky Basketball Recruiting Big Board today. You should go check it out.

— Finally, it appears someone is catfishing Eloy Vargas. Vargas posted the picture below on Instagram:

Screen shot 2013-04-25 at 3.55.51 PM

Don’t mess with our Eloy!

We’ll be back in the morning to talk more UK sports and track Andrew Wiggins’ every move. See you then.

73 Comments for Rebecca Martinson’s Friday News & Views

1. Rockfield, KY
    11:05 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

That’s my kind of woman. Never a dull moment.

2. Stanky Leg
    11:10 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

The first round is still on

just sayin, not hatin

3. TrailerTrash
    11:12 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know, she looks kinda AWKWARD and BORING

4. Monte from Cornelius
    11:20 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Ms. TT, is RM more of a Rusk or Warner Hall chick?

5. She looks like...
    11:34 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

She kind of looks like a brunette Sara Jean Underwood.

6. 9-asty
    11:39 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

I would.

7. Paul in SC
    11:41 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t there a recruit back in the late Tubby (possibly even early Tubby days) named Maurice Sutton??? Sketchy details, but seems like he was interested in KY and was not offered a scholarship. Seems he might have went to Oklahoma State with the Marshall Moses dude??

8. IV
    11:47 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

dg’s are, by their very nature, awkward and boring.

9. Bobbum man
    12:11 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Center at Houston rockets…. Probably Yao

10. Real
    12:32 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I want to LITERALLY take a dump on this entire post.

11. SeaCat
    12:35 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Nice work Tyler cutie

12. Sorority chick
    12:39 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

If all her members are so awkward, weird, and boring, why would they be offered bids in the first place. The pres usually reflects the majority of members so in my book, she’s the one that failed at her job.
    I have a potty mouth but dizzammmmn , she just effin let loose!!!

13. mashburnfan1
    1:00 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

7} think it was late in Tubby days and believe he went to Nova or up in northeast somewhere.

14. big pimpin ain't easy
    1:27 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Sounds to me like the Sigma Nu were none to pleased with their hoe’s not putting out properly. Rebecca should have picked more straight women and fewer lesbians for her sorority. That or partnered up with a better looking group of frat boys.

15. big pimpin ain't easy
    1:28 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

BTW, shut up before I have to Cunt Punch you. LOVE it!

16. Seriously
    1:42 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Please dedicate tomorrow’s news and views to the kid who got away from terrorists, after they hijacked his car, to make up for this nonsense. It’s amazing what some people find entertaining. A t.v. show or a book deal, seriously? If you think I’m being too harsh I’ll drop a couple f bombs so you will be entertained. Maybe I can get my own book deal.

17. CantPunt
    5:41 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Worst comb-over everrrrrr!!!!!

18. SexnNursinHomes
    6:07 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

15- bwahahaha hell yeah!!

Something tells me that she has pretty nice rack on her. Perky ones with needle nose nipples.

19. Flyingfishman
    6:13 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I would pay money to hear Al Pacino recite this in his Foghorn Leghorn voice. #15 that was a cunt punt not a punch. I find that to be more poetic.

20. Heisenberg
    6:39 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I came here to see if SNH had already touched this post, did not leave disappointed

21. CATandMONKEY
    7:07 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

That Email is F%#k!ng Awesome!
    Seriously…that would have been the best Onion parody of ALL TIME and she had to go and [email protected]& it up by writing it FOR REAL
    I thought her picture was Polson in drag. Major apologies to Jarrod. #ThoughtSheWasADude

22. Mr Obvious
    7:09 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Baby’s dorky sister in Dirty Dancing.

23. CATandMONKEY
    7:13 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

#1: That has never been my kind of woman…on purpose. Somehow they occasionally end up that way.
    Wow.

16: Read that line at the top of the website under the words “Kentucky Sports Radio”.
    Walters, both Winchell and Konkrite are NOT walking through that door. Enjoy KSR for entertainment and seek “hard” news from those who claim to provide such.

24. CATandMONKEY
    7:15 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Cronkite… Awesome

25. TheRealHambone
    7:44 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

SnNHs is an unadultrated, grade A, certified IDIOT…

26. DrSayre
    7:53 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

So at most we have 3 more weeks of Wiggins talk…surely he isn’t going to wait to the last minute to decide…

27. barn
    7:56 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

25–i don’t think he’s certified. bona fide, maybe

28. Steve
    8:00 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

The sorority girl voted to take in all the potential cunt punters didn’t she? Was she desperate for the dues or blind to them being social awkward? Hilarious.

29. SexnNursinHomes
    8:01 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

25- Thanks RealHambone for the compliment. So how’s parole going?

27- hahaha barn is awesome.

30. SMH
    8:07 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

This girl has put out racist tweets. Way to go Tyler Thompson, your hero is also a racist.

31. Pabloco
    8:11 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the link to the dramatic reading! That is the best thing on the internet.

32. asdf
    8:13 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

The sorority letter is example # 914 of why so many people think society will collapse within a generation. In fact, I do believe that the Walking Dead are, in fact, a satirical commentary about people like her.

33. Any dude who is being honest
    8:14 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I’d hit it.

34. asdf
    8:16 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

If you’re gonna catfish somebody, you’d think you would want to pick someone not instantly recognizable to virtually an entire state, as any recent Wildcat is.

35. Reality
    8:52 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

She is just my type…she has the crazy eyes. I’d hit it

36. Smart person
    8:57 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

WIGGINS HAD BLUE BERRY PANCAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Any guy
    8:58 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

33) yeah I’d give her my own kind of cunt punt but kick her out naked. If there are girls who find her their hero, they are socially maladjusted and I’d love to get at them, for just one night, too

38. Turner the Burner
    9:02 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Christopher Sutton has a fan page…. https://www.facebook.com/ChristopherMSutton

He claims that he was playing for UK during the championship run…. Think we should get BBN to like his page and light it up? Expose the fraud!

39. Roland
    9:04 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

If she is dad’s little girl, Daddy Martinson is a marine drill sargent. Semper Fi.

40. Nick Papageorgio
    9:24 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Where is the Joe Pesci parody?

41. Lenny
    9:24 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

36- actually he had a pop tart…. Cinnamon. I know because me an my wife have taken the kid under our wing…. Have I told you guys my story yet?

42. SMH
    9:33 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

It seems like this girl does care.
    She cares about appearances, making a good impression, whether or not it is an accurate impression, if she were my daughter I would be ashamed to have raised such a superficial young woman.

43. WildcatWalker
    9:33 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. She sounds like a straight shooter with upper management written all over her. I don’t know if many of you had much experience with sororities, but they’re not exactly curing cancer.

44. Teachable Mo'
    9:37 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

In the Fall of ’68, this challenge was left unanswered, “So, you want to be [1,000,000 sarcastic Scoville units] independent?”

I can’t believe the Greek system is still around.

45. monkeyboy
    9:54 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Wow… what a sad indictment on the state of our country! Not only does someone write such a derogatory, vulgar ridden email (which is bad enough in and of itself)… but someone else thinks it’s GREAT and would love to see a reality show based on the same. Truly saddening. An extremely poor commentary on Ms. Thompson!

46. Psychiatrist
    10:03 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

This sounds like classic premenstrual syndrome (PMS), now called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) by my psychiatrist colleagues. PMS affects about a third of all women and can cause a variety of physical, psychological and behavioral changes, including mood swings. We don’t completely understand PMS, so effective treatment can be difficult. Still, many women find relief with a variety of therapies. Some of these therapies (such as calcium, magnesium, St. John’s wort, and Prozac) are supported by scientific research; others are merely supported by anecdotal evidence based upon the experience of many women and physicians.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/pms-how-do-i-control-my-mood-swings/4-n-142379#ixzz2RZu9XsKQ

47. miller lite
    10:08 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I have no problems with that email, at all. I like girl with some fire. even if she is as ugly as this one. I would bend her over, though.

48. J-Huh
    10:44 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

What’s up wit Becca’s bangs?? Omg.

49. Delk for 3
    10:47 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I hate girls like this. I’ve never wanted the loud-mouth girl that is trying to be the center of attention. I always liked the somewhat quiet girl who seems hard to get. That way, you actually feel like you accomplished something when you score. This girl also is the one who makes your girlfriend attend all the sorority events even though she wants to just go hang out with you. I had a girlfriend who was pressured by sorority girls in college to do all these other things. I hated them.

50. AaronJ
    10:52 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Cunt Punt, lol that is classic.

51. Linda Taylor
    10:58 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

44 – My sorority sisters are in fact doing such things as curing cancer. Some of their chosen careers are OBGYN, Pediatrics, Attorney (attorney general in the state she lives in), Nurse, Speech Therapy, Diagnostic Pathology, etc. I couldn’t believe that email when I read it when Matt tweeted it out. I knew it was just a matter of time before that girl was history in that sorority. No national sorority would want to be embarrassed like that. She probably violated numerous rules of conduct that as president of her chapter she should have been well aware. She is nothing but a foul-mouthed bully who threatened her sisters with physical violence. She has no moral or ethical standards and I am sure most of the rest of her chapter are breathing a sigh of relief that she is gone.

52. what?
    11:08 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

what is all the hub-bub about … i think she should be nominated for a Pulitzer

53. jhnny
    11:23 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Becca is HOT

54. Blueston
    11:30 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

I find it hilarious that anyone commenting on here calls this girl ugly. I guarantee she is better looking than ANY girl that has posted in this comment section and better than 95% of girlfriends of guys who have commented here.

Also, she had lots of good points in her email, although it was a little over the top.

This girl is a great American.

55. Jen
    11:47 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

If that woman is your hero then your life is in the toilet.

56. Jen
    11:49 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

53. Sorority sisters cured cancer? I must’ve missed that headline. I guess it pays to pay for your friends.

57. Jen
    11:50 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

With those glassy, soulless eyes she should would make an ideal wife for any aspiring Republican officeholder.

58. whodat
    12:03 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

She would be the wildest threesome partner imaginable…. mark it down

59. KAO
    1:39 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Clearly Jen was intimidated by Greek women or denied a bid to the sorority she coveted. When you go off to college and don’t know anyone there, the Greek community is a great way to meet people and make friends. You don’t “buy” your friends when you join; joining a sorority/fraternity expedites the process of meeting people who are like you and share your values, morals, interests, and social perspective. Besides the social aspects, the Greek community places high emphasis on attaining good grades (we had proctored study hours & required students who weren’t making grades to attend them), as well as encouraging philanthrophy, volunteering, and networking. Being in a sorority helped build my resume– for example: leadership roles, community service, and time management. Additionally, the networks I made through Theta was uber-helpful in getting my first job out of college. “Paying for my friends” was one of the best choices I ever made.

60. Linda Taylor
    1:41 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

58 – Do you have problems with reading comprehension? I listed some of the professions some of my sorority sisters chose. I mostly listed the professions that in general would be part of the team of medical professionals that would help patients fight cancer. Some are physicians who treat people with cancer every day, curing many and extending the lives of many others. They have been involved with numerous studies over the years that have helped cancer cure rates improve dramatically. They work at research universities where they treat patients, enroll them in double blind studies, teach medical students, write peer-reviewed articles in medical journals, etc. One of them especially has done a great deal of work in genetics research as it relates to pediatric cancer and is part of a group working on individualizing treatments to a child’s specific genetic code.
    For your information, it was no more expensive to live in the dorm and eat on campus than it was to live in a much nicer sorority house which was much more fun. Scholarship money can be spent for sorority housing. It also enabled me to get away from a dorm room I had to share with 3 other girls, one who smoked like a chimney (in what was supposed to be a non-smoking room). Since I am allergic to cigarette smoke I was miserable in that dorm. Even though I live 2,000 miles away from most of my sorority sisters I still have very good friends that I will always treasure. They have visited me here in KY and they have been of tremendous help to me when I have had to go back to AZ to help family members when they were ill.
    Jen, the vast majority of your posts are negative, some even downright hateful. You rip on Matt and Drew frequently. I can’t help but wonder, what are you so angry about? I suspect you have a great deal of pain you are trying to deal with. I wish you well.

61. Cat's Balls
    1:52 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

#44, congrats on the “Office Space” reference! We don’t have to worry about this chick. She’s a keeper. She has a firm grasp on her long and short term objectives and she isn’t afraid to punt a few cunts to get there.

62. NotInASororityByChoice
    2:12 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

KA)… You know, people are able to obtain friendship, good grades and contribute to society through various volunteer and philanthropy outlets without joining a sorority or fraternity. The fact that you had to rely on networks to get a job is somewhat appalling and I don’t know that I would care to admit to that. I’d like to believe that I got my job based on my good grades, work ethic and interview skills. Good for you for being able to achieve all of that but you make it sound like people (such as myself) who decided not to join a sorority are losers. Most of my closest friends ended up being from various sororities and I’m grateful for them. I’m also grateful that I wasn’t pressured into hanging out with only one group of girls. My friends (greek and non greek) hold admirable professions that I don’t feel a need to list like Jen did in order to make my point. Back off those who didn’t want to join and were able to achieve everything you have without having to pay for a membership. This girl needs a reality check that there are way more important issues in life than what’s happening in her sorority. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

63. Heisenberg
    2:15 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

62…..you taking this way too seriously. You do realize that we are on KSR?

64. Any guy
    2:38 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

61, 62, maybe 64) The men you’ll end up with will secret feel disappointment towards you. If that not the case your children will never relate to you.

65. OverThePylon
    2:54 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I used to work at Maryland. The DGs there are a weird mix of socially awkward weirdos and H.A.F. coeds that cannot wait to jump right on that pogo stick. Sort of like opening an advent calendar where half of the doors lead you to rare milk chocolate from Sweden and the other half are rotten brussel sprouts.

In short, I’d hit it.

66. Linda Taylor
    3:42 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

64 – Jen wasn’t in a sorority and was sarcastic and hateful towards me because I was. She also wasn’t the person who listed her friends who are fighting the good fight against cancer. I was that person. Perhaps you need to brush up on reading comprehension. My initial post was IN RESPONSE to #44 to illustrate that members of sororities can be not only fun loving but yes, many are working on curing cancer too in their chosen careers. KAO would not have responded to Jen the way she did had Jen not been hateful in her comment back to me so maybe you need to back off of KAO a little bit. These are responses back and forth. Follow along and try to keep up with who is writing what and why. I had many friends outside of my sorority. Whether someone was in a sorority or not had no bearing on whether or not they were my friend. Most of the guys I dated weren’t in fraternities. For me being in a sorority was a great experience and the right choice. I have no problem with anyone who chose/chooses differently.

67. KAo
    3:46 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Not in…By Choice– Not once did I bash non-Greeks in my previous post. My goal was to let Jen know that being in a sorority/fraternity has far greater purpose than to just buy friends. Furthermore, prior to and after college I volunteered in my community, had plenty of friends, and maintained good grades. I also have a great deal of friends in college who weren’t Greek and I never felt an ounce of pressure to spend my time with my sorority sisters.

Also, no need to feel appalled by my use of Greek connections to find jobs– I’m not the least bit embarrassed by it. Everyone knows the most efficient & best way to find a desirable job is through the use of your networks. I had multiple job offers after graduation and was able to select the position that paid the best and afforded me the most opportunities to advance and be promoted. While I’m sure my interview & experience is why I got offers, I would be foolish to not believe that my contacts in those companies didn’t give me a leg up on the competition. There’s a reason social NETWORKING is such a trendy word theses days– I know HR people at many companies who recruit solely off Linked In and rely on current employees for hiring quality individuals. Your self sufficiency is admirable but you better figure out how to use your networks and connections or you’re going to be stuck in that same job for a long time.

68. MenMenMenMen
    4:29 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Quite the bitchfest going on in here, all I wanna know is whats for dinner.

69. Linda Taylor
    4:44 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

66 – I guess that’s why I’ve been happily married for over 20 years. I think if my husband wasn’t happy he wouldn’t have stuck around this long, especially with everything we have been through. I was unable to have children despite 5 surgeries, 3 major, 2 minor, a year on an experimental medication, and all that goes with in vitro. It broke my heart and my husband’s bout with cancer ruined our plans for adoption so I did a complete 180 and became a nanny. Guess what, kids love me. Moms and Dads love me. Kids wait at the door for me to come to their house and then jump into my arms. If their parents let them out of the door they come running up to the car the second it stops. They fight over who gets to sit next to me. Moms have called me a “baby whisperer” (someone able to calm the fussiest of babies). It’s not as fulfilling as being a real parent but I get to be a “mom”, get paid for it and don’t have to pay for college. So I guess you can’t judge someone based solely by what they write on a blog can you. Nor do you seem to know much about real life and real lasting committed relationships. Don’t worry though, you will eventually grow up. Life will see to it.

70. JPhelps
    4:54 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Someone forget their psyche meds today?

71. don't make it hard for me to read your comments
    7:29 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Hit the return button ever now and then.