Reasons to celebrate your Independence

fireworks1

Good lord, I hope you’re watching fireworks right now.

Maybe because it’s Fourth of July…maybe it’s because it’s because I’ve been celebrating all day with PBR at a bar, but damn, I feel patriotic. Best part about 4th of July? The number of people wearing Fourth of July memorabilia. It’s astounding. At all of the festivals I’ve attended, the American flag attire never fails to amuse me. Instead of regurgitating another link, I want to ask you, what makes you proud to be an American?

Right now the answers seem endless.

21 Comments for Reasons to celebrate your Independence

1. tdogg4033011
    9:40 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Happy 4th BBN !!!!

2. Mike
    9:42 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Watched the Capitol 4th on PBS. All these happy kids are there. I look at those kids and I know they all have a chance to successful in life if they choose. That makes me proud to be an American.

3. CatlantaBlue
    9:44 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Being a Cats fan!

4. Alan Cutler's Fart
    9:53 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Wait, today is the fourth? Then why did my town have a symphony concert and fireworks last night and nothing tonight? And why wasn’t my mail delivered today? Obviously it’s not the fourth today, yall are late. Unless freaking Charleston, WV is stupid enough to have Fourth of July celebrations on the third…..

5. uk=beast
    10:02 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

kentucky

6. barefootpirate
    10:14 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

The fact that I can grill, drink beer, and smoke wee….oh, wait. Not that proud, but still glad to say I’m American.

7. welkington
    10:18 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Gay marriage!

8. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    10:19 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Fighting against European fascism.
    Admitting the error of our ways (13th, 14th, 15th amendments, Civil Rights Act, etc)
    The Marshall Plan
    George Washington
    MLK
    Thomas Jefferson
    Mark Twain
    Audie Murphy
    JFK
    John Muir
    Tocqueville’s perception of Americans
    Taking the Enlightenment to the populace
    Melting-pots
    BASKETBALL
    FOOTBALL
    The National Park System
    New York City
    Veterans
    Separation of Church and State
    Charlie Brown and Bugs Bunny
    Sequoias and bison and the Rockies

9. MG
    10:34 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Taking the Enlightenment to the populace?

10. Sexington
    10:34 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Nuclear weapons and bourbon

11. Pick Ratino
    10:36 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Roe v. Wade.

12. Doc
    10:39 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Today is a day to be thankful and amazed by our declaration of independence with the brilliant tenet for”life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness”

13. Women Everywhere
    10:49 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

Freedom of Choice
    and Pabst

14. JOHN PUBLIC
    10:57 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. JPhelps
    11:28 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

The fact that I can call out idiots like 14 who think they don’t have a “damn thing” to be thankful for. It’s people like you who need to just go ahead and end it. You’ve been talking about jumping out of a 10th floor office window for some time now! What’s stopping you?

I’m thankful I live in one of the most dominant and great nations on this Earth, and greatful for the fact that I can put food on my table everyday and not have to worry about contracting diseases from walking barefoot around everyday. I did a rotation for school in South Africa last year. Fewer things put it really into perspective than when you see a 6 year old child digging thru garbage with his bare hands to find stuff to eat for his family…

Have some freaking perspective when you say things like that. God bless America and the BBN!

16. Manbearpig
    11:43 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

The fact I can have sex on a restaurant table for 15 seconds with a woman who isn’t my wife then months down the road abort the fetus….AMERICA F#CK YEA!

17. Ich Neisse Neil
    11:48 pm July 4, 2011 Permalink

I have traveled all over the world, seen great things, horrific things, and everything in between.

America isn’t perfect but when I am sitting here and I think about all of the countries in which the booms and flashes are guns and bombs and not fireworks I can’t help but be thankful that we live in a country where no battles have been fought for 150 years.

Everyone has their opinions about our military, politics, and religion, but after being to nearly 100 countries I can say I wouldn’t want to live in any other one but this one.

18. Big Blue Barber
    7:39 am July 5, 2011 Permalink

America is not what our forefathers intended. There are those leading us that want to change everything the signers of the Constitution intended…..but for now….it’s still the greatest ever. I’m proudest of those who have served and those who have died for what we have…..from the revolutionary war until today in Irag Afghanistan and Lybia. Thanks to you folks for Paying for our freedom!!!!!

19. SeoulCat
    7:55 am July 5, 2011 Permalink

I’m proud of the fact that my American passport allows me to travel and live almost anywhere but the United States.

20. JPhelps
    11:34 am July 5, 2011 Permalink

Oh yeah, and the fact that we’re probably going to win it all next year!

21. Tokyo Satchel
    5:20 am July 6, 2011 Permalink

As a vet and now expat resident of Japan, nothing makes me prouder to be an American than when I see a group of fat ass American tourists walking around, talkin to everyone in English like they are deaf and saying things like,” why doesn’t anyone speak English around here?”