Random UK Player of the Week: Bernard Cote

Every Wednesday we’ll look back at the career of a former Kentucky basketball player who might be forgotten, or even unknown, to some in Big Blue Nation. We’ll use stats, stories, and memories to reminisce on the past.

Today, we start with Bernard “Cootie” Cote.

Bernard Cote played two seasons at Kentucky under Tubby Smith from 2002 to 2004 and was only the second Canadian player to ever suit up for the Wildcats. The 6-foot-9 forward/center was recruited to Kentucky from Champlain High School in St. Lambert, Ontario where he averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds as a senior and was named to the All-Canadian team. He wore #12 for the Wildcats because of his idol, Jim LeMaster.

As a freshman at Kentucky, he played in 25 games averaging just under five minutes per contest. He scored a total of 21 points in his first season in Lexington with 22 rebounds.

Cote’s role as backup didn’t change in his second season with guys like Chuck Hayes, Erik Daniels, Bobby Perry, Sheray Thomas, Woo, and Shagari on the roster. He averaged six minutes per game as sophomore and scored a total of 39 points with 12 rebounds that season. He transferred to Northwestern University after two seasons at UK.

Despite little playing time and very little production, Cote’s time at Kentucky was not a complete loss. During his freshman season in Lexington, he fell in love with a basketball tutor who was assigned to his Communications class. She would go on to win Miss Kentucky in 2005 and finish third in the Miss USA pageant that year. She moved in with Cote in Evanston after he transferred to NU.

Cote currently lives in Montreal and serves as Marketing Manager for Advertising and Classics Business Development at Reebok. He is responsible for managing all advertising and revitalizing the Reeboks Classic brand in Canada. He also handles contractual partnerships for the CFL and Canadian universities.

But I’ll always remember him as the guy who dated this:

miss-kentucky

Now reminisce…

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Random UK Player of the Week: Bernard Cote

1. floydfan
    12:13 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I got nothing.

2. Devin the Dude
    12:13 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I actually thought he was going to be pretty good. I remember he was a big guy who could step outside and shoot it. never really had that killer instinct

3. Devin the Dude
    12:14 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

that and a goofy guy with a bald head

4. Al's IndiCats
    12:15 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

His career at UK might have been a bust, but you hafta give him the player of the year for his lust.

5. NCCAT
    12:20 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

He dated a picture? Because I’m pretty sure humans are not a “this.”

6. King Cote
    12:21 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I was awesome.

7. Boogie'sBeats
    12:22 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Move it like Bernie.

8. Champ
    12:23 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

So i take it they are no longer together?

9. UK Wildcat
    12:24 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I went to the father-son camp with my dad prior to the 2002-2003 season, and after watching Bernard Cote stroke it from outside I thought he would surely turn out to be a pretty good player. Never happened.

10. Champ
    12:24 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

5 im guessing youre a woman?

11. Cal Purnell here
    12:31 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I keep getting Cote and Michael Bradley mixed up, Eh.

12. UKHOOPZ
    12:32 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

SHE was a basketball tutor?!?!? Wow, UK basketball players really ARE treated like rock stars!

13. L3G3END of ROARK
    12:34 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

SHE should have been in Playboy

14. Real recognize Real
    12:35 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

5- Just stop.

This is a GREAT theme for a recurring post.

15. BBNinIL
    12:37 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

wishing I could have that minute back after reading

16. RidgeRunner
    12:38 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Cote? I umm think you about covered it Drew… Okey doke until next Weds then.

17. jaaaaayyyyy
    12:43 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Hmmmm….. I’m sure she wouldn’t appreciate being called a “this” on a popular website.

18. gossie21
    12:54 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I always remember Cote as being the recruit Tubby took in hopes that he could land Sheray Thomas.

19. Doom or Gloom
    1:03 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Can we get a post about viewing for the game? I dont understand why UK would agree to televise a game with a station that no one can get!!!! It is so frsutrating! We just had 3.5M+ viewers 2 weeks in a row we cant get games in the largest cities in KY! How pathetic!

20. Cat fan in the 'ville
    1:22 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

HAHAHA! I am best friends with the guy that was dating ‘this’ when she and Cote started dating. He was studying abroad and he came back to find out she had been seeing Cote since about the beginning of the semester. We all knew it because she was all over the jumbotron at Rupp that season. What a ____! He was so pissed and you all can see why!! The story does have a happy ending. He is now married to a MUCH better girl (looks and personality)!

21. hOOsiEr gOmeR
    1:36 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

i,ll tell yuo this. cootie cole couldnt hold tom pritchards jokcstrap. no wondar he left uk. he got scared of the hoosier red storm that was alwyas brewin up north on bloomerngton.
    b y the ways, we asre still drinkin and flippin news vanns and amc gremlins up hear on kirkwood avenew. coach tom craen is gonna be the grand martialn in our champeonship parade twoday. the football taem was gonna come but they alraedy got lossd. memo to the wilkats fans…u aint welcome hear…unless you liek to wear beer. blue is a color of our faces rite befoar we puke after drinkin all nite before exams. we are indaina univesiity and we are bakc!!!

22. HilljakLinbeard
    1:38 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Finish the story…is he still mounting that elk in his trophy room? What happened?

23. Bro
    1:51 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

#20 if you are best friends with Mr Dick then you must know that she also upgraded herself…looks and personality. Bernard is a great guy, she is a beautiful girl, and it is a shame that you defame a person on a blog when you don’t know the full story. No they aren’t together anymore, no she never ran arkund on Dick, and all involved are successful, etc. Take your childish comments and keep them in the ville!

24. realjoemathis
    3:06 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

i’ve been saying “Bernard Cote 4 President” on every live blog for the past year! i haven’t forgotten about you, you Canadian baller

25. ruppcrazy
    3:08 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I remember a game in December of his sophomore year where he actually had a key basket. It was one of those games that should not have been a game, but they often were under Tubs. Cote hit a 15 footer from the left baseline and I think had a couple of key rebounds down the stretch. I thought that was a sign of things to come from Cote.

26. double00
    4:06 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

she’s Kristin Johnson from Slaughters in Webster County. She married some dude from Muhlenburg County and now lives in Illinois. She and I were in a wedding together several years ago. Cote was there and never left her side….I don’t blame him!!!

27. Jazzman
    4:17 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I hope everyone will be nice and not talk bad about others on here. I don’t know the girl, and but I do want to say that I’ve met Mr. Dick, and he was a total gentleman.

28. Cat fan in the 'ville
    4:25 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

23) KJ?

29. Bro
    4:31 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Nope! Like I said, all involved are good people just as jazzman said. No sense in derogatory comments, especially when you don’t know the facts. Yea it appeared the cards lined up that way but she was a college student trying to make money being a tutor. Not some ______ like you made it sound!

30. Bro
    4:57 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Nope!

31. Cats6100
    5:07 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Bro? Did you look at your own comment? You are the one mentioning names and saying she upgraded. Get a life KJ!

32. Levib
    5:19 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I use to date Kristen myself at UK.. She’s a sweet girl just a little socially awkward as she was also mrs teen ky n won mrs photogenic in the teen USA pageant and when we were dating she was representing the Thetas on campus for the Greek sing competition!!! Anyways.. My wife now is hot and cool.. Never to be underrated!! Ha

33. Levib
    5:23 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Yeah.. Exactly #20.. she went with me to one of my fraternity semiformals in cincy and one of my buddies was like yeah she’s “hot, but kinda a dork” which is true and I heard she was with Gerald fitch when I was dating her as she told me they were just friends… Anyways!!!! That’s funny

34. SavannahBarFly
    7:14 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Cote is my favorite UK player of all time! He is the best!

35. Aj
    10:57 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Kristen is my sister…to clear things up she would never get on this site and post any message. She has probably never visited this site period. Although I visit the site daily and enjoy the posts I was a little surprised and then disappointed to see these comments about her. With that being said, this is the first and last comment I will leave. It is a shame that people have nothing better to do than discuss things from 10 years ago about 3 successful and good people. On to better things…go UK