Randle, Johnson, Willis and Hawkins to arrive on campus this week

froshclass

KSR has learned that four members of the eight-man recruiting class will arrive on campus this week to begin life as college students. Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson, Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins will all move in this week. Randle tweeted that he will be in Lexington on Tuesday.

Their classmates — Marcus Lee, James Young and the Harrison twins — are expected to join them at the lodge in a couple of weeks.

It’s already time to build greatness, folks.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Randle, Johnson, Willis and Hawkins to arrive on campus this week

1. Love it!
    8:55 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

I LOVE how hungry these kids are! Sometimes it’s easy to forget they’re all 17 and 18 years old

2. Cat Fan in Georgia
    9:21 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

Coming from the perspective of a 64-year-old who remembers when basketball players actually were college students, I laugh whenever the term “students” or “student athletes” is used to describe today’s blue-chip athletes. I know that some of them get degrees, eventually, but at the highest level in football and basketball, they are unpaid apprentices…not saying anything is wrong with that, but they are not “college students.”

3. bigbluetrue
    9:37 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

#2– They are students as long as they are enrolled and on campus. I doubt if students during your time frame had the opportunity to go pro after one year that they would have turned it down. I realize that students during your era couldn’t even play as freshmen. I, like Cal am not a fan of the one-and-done rule and would like to see it changed to at least 2-years but it is what it is until it hopefully gets changed. Let’s keep in mind that a National Championship is still a National Championship regardless if it is with one-and-done players or someone who has been there 4 years. I will always root just as hard for ANY kid who puts on the blue and white.

4. Duke blows
    9:39 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to see Willis. His high school coach said he had to play him out of position which caused him to fall so far in the rankings. Hope he can set a couple years and be a player his last two
    I wonder if Cal has given any thought to red shirting Willis and Hawkins next year. Neither stand a chance of seeing the cort next year. Why not let them set and learn and gain strength for a year.

5. Duke blows
    9:44 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

#3 I’m with you on the 1 and done rule, but it’s a major upgrade from what we used to have! It was getting out of control when a coach could sign a class like our and none ever made it to campus!
    As far as student athlete goes its a little comical. None of these kids have it the same as a regular student. Given the money the NCAA makes off these kids it’s kinda crazy. Hell I don’t think the rest of campus has chef.

6. M
    9:57 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

#2) Some of them are college students and take college very seriously. Other’s may not. Hell, when I was a freshman I screwed around, didn’t do too well in school (because I didn’t go to class), and decided to join the Army Reserves. When I went back I was a little more mature with more perspective and I performed really well. Who knows, back in your day the kids may have had some help passing classes, and got degrees thanks to other’s? Maybe they weren’t college students, but simply college athletes longer. My point is it’s hard to bunch everyone together, and say they’re this or that when everybody’s situation is different.

7. Russ
    11:21 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

That’s nice. Cards by 15.

8. SeaCat
    4:11 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

#2, I am 58. I tutored UK football players.
    They could barely read or write.
    You are blowing smoke. Athletes have
    always been slackers. And always will be.

9. twnky