Randle: Anything less than a title will be a disappointment

Randle_Julius279
Courtesy of McDonald’s

It’s Media Day for the McDonald’s All-Americans, which means 24% (6/25) of the players are answering questions about their futures at Kentucky (28% if you count Andrew Wiggins). Kristen Geil is at the United Center covering the event for KSR, and will have a full recap later, but here are a few quotes to tide you over until then.

Julius Randle said that he will be disappointed with anything less than a title next season, including a Final Four finish. Also, the UK commitments are already forming some chemistry. Randle says that the chemistry between the future Cats is already “off the charts” and they’ve been giving the other guys a taste of what’s to come: “They try to come back at us, but come on. There are six of us.”

More to come all afternoon…

52 Comments for Randle: Anything less than a title will be a disappointment

1. Austin
    2:07 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

If we have either Poythress or Wiggins, I will agree. If we don’t, we are not an odds on favorite to win it all. We would still be the most talented team, but not sure we would be the best team.

2. VOTE YALL
    2:08 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

They are teaming up to beat us. Show them what’s up, BBN! Vote now. Then go to your friends PC and vote again. Then get out your phone and vote again. Then use a proxy server and vote again. You get the idea!!

3. Bomb
    2:09 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Actually we are “an odds on favorite” to win it all per Vegas.

4. Gandalf the Blue
    2:09 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

To be fair, last years freshmen all said their goal was to win the title. Wiltjer also claimed the chemistry was better than the championship team. Hopefully this group backs it up!

5. David Elswick
    2:10 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Randle already becoming one of my favorites!

6. VOTE OR DIE
    2:15 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

7. George Washington
    2:15 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Anything less than the best is a felony.

8. 9 would be fine
    2:17 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

The big differences will be 1)level of talent-adding this years class even without wiggins, puts our talent level above almost everyone else 2)experience – with Wiltjer, WCS and possibly Poythress we have experienced group of upperclassmen to lead the way (much like we did with Jones, Lamb and Miller)

9. Austin
    2:17 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Some people think odds on favorite means that you are the most likely to win. Others think it means more likely than not to win, or in other words, a greater than 50% chance to win. I don’t think we have a greater than 50% chance to win. We are at 3-1 right now. With Wiggins or Poythress, I think we might have a slightly better than 50% chance of winning it. Just my opinion.

10. Cayts
    2:17 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

1… We’re the heavy favorites to win it all either way

11. ice
    2:17 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s cool that Randle is confident and has that fire. That being said, did we learn nothing from last season?

12. Kevin Cooke
    2:20 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

You need to vote for Tolly Ho. They are only 77 votes ahead

13. Mini me
    2:21 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#9 how is being greater than a 50% chance to win not also most likely to win. If we are a 51% chance to win, then how can any other 1 team have a higher % than that?

14. Mack
    2:22 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Julius Randle will learn that if you wear a basketball uniform with KENTUCKY across the front everyone else except the BBN will see a target on your back. GO CATS!!

15. kelso
    2:22 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Who is the 6th? Derek willis aint an all american. Wiggins maybe?

16. DribbleBucket
    2:23 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

This kid is becoming a leader! I know I saw this on another thread but he does seem to be hanging out with Wiggins a lot. Watched the slam dunk contest last night and he got some serious face time on Wiggins’ turn. Anybody have any new insider info on Wiggins?

17. MemphisCat
    2:24 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Seems like they are bonding like the 2012 team did at the McDonalds game, and they were making fun of the Louisville guys. Hope the outcome is the same.

18. Austin
    2:24 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think we are greater than 50% if we don’t have Wiggins or Poythress. Maybe you don’t agree, and that is fine. With either or both of them, I think that pushes us just past that mark. We still aren’t locks, but I think having one of those two pushes us past that line and into being around the 55 percentile of winning it. We will have the most talent, but will we be the best TEAM? We shall see.

19. me
    2:25 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#13 at 3-1 we are by far the “most likely team to win”, but we are more likely to NOT win. Obviously if we were more than 50% likely to win, that would satisfy both “most likely team to win” and “more likely than not to win”.

20. Mini me
    2:25 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

15 2 Harrison’s, lee, young, randle, Damarion. 6.

21. VOTE YALL
    2:26 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Go vote now!! We are gonna lose this thing if you don’t do your part. Yes you. No not her, she already voted. I’m talking about you. We are up against some pathetic chili. It’s not even unique. It’s just chili. It’s like the Robert Morris of dishes. Wait. Maybe bad example there.

22. insider
    2:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

16- yeah i do. He is ours. Write it down now.

23. Linda Taylor
    2:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

With the Harrisons and Randle this team is going to have some very strong leaders. From all accounts they are all also unselfish. That is the nucleus of a very strong team. The stories of how much extra work Randle puts in in the gym are very encouraging. He will be an excellent example for the rest of the team. If Alex stays he will have to work his butt off just trying to keep up with Julius and that will benefit him greatly and help develop his work ethic and skills. I can’t wait until all these guys are here for the summer putting work in to prepare for next season’s run. This week, the Jordan Brand Classic and the Nike Hoop Summit will convince Wiggins that the best place for him, no question, is KY. He’s going to have way too much fun playing with our guys to go anywhere else.

24. Just wondrin
    2:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

15: Twins, Randle, Young, Lee, Johnson make 6

25. Rrapp
    2:28 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I think the missing piece just fell into place when Willie decided to return. Can’t wait!!

26. Reality
    2:28 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

The entire team would have to be injured for us not to win it next year

27. Mini me
    2:28 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

20 should read “Dakari” damn predictive text

28. TN Cat
    2:28 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#15 Harrison, Harrison, Randle, Lee, Young, Johnson.

29. You_got_me
    2:29 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Harrison
    Julius Randle
    Marcus Lee
    James Young
    Dakari Johnson

30. UKBlue1!
    2:29 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#15 Harrison Twins (2), Randle, Young, Lee and Johnson = 6

31. Mini me
    2:29 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Lol thanks for correcting me whoever did that

32. kentuckyrules
    2:31 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

15- Harrison x2, Young, Randle, Lee, Johnson = 6

33. 9 would be fine
    2:32 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

16…i live in huntington area and was actually at the school last week, the day calipari came…i spoke to wiggins and flat out asked him if he was coming to ky…although he smiled and said he didn’t know he kinda gave me a look that left me over 50% confident…i know that’s not much but he was a very friendly kid..stopping to talk to me and shake my hand made my day(hands were huge by the way)

34. kentuckyrules
    2:32 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#30: whoa…..dude….almost the EXACT thing, in ALMOST same order…get OUTTA MY HEAD!!! lol

35. C-A-T-S
    2:33 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Man this kid is going to be great. I’m so pumped for November. Go Cats!!!! And to everyone else: REVENGE is going to be a bitch. #wigoutby30 #jrandlesaysShUtUp

36. STEVE!
    2:33 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m concerned that what many think will be a strength next year could be a weakness, and that’s Guard play. Regardless of how good the Harrisons are (are they better than Wall and Bledsoe?), they will be Freshmen and have bad games, games where they are in foul trouble, and games where more experienced players abuse them. With Mayes, Harrow, and Goodwin gone, we have no experienced backups for when that occurs, and an early exit from the Tournament could follow. Maybe Polson will come back and make another quantum leap in performance.

37. Austin
    2:35 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

And I think I agree that anything but a title would be a disappointment. That won’t mean I am not going to enjoy the season either way. Having a top ranked team is fun and sure beats playing in the NIT, even if you don’t win the championship. If we get Wiggins, we have a great chance to get #9. I think it would be around a 55% chance if we play like I think we will. That is about as good of a chance as you can hope for in a one and done tournament like the NCAA’s… If it were a best of 7 series like the NBA, the chances for success are a lot better.

38. bdown
    2:36 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

love this kid’s attitude already

39. What it's like.....
    2:36 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Havin a Roni…..That’s for #7

40. C-A-T-S
    2:37 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Just because the kids this year didn’t pan out doesn’t mean every top 20 recruit is a bust. Truthfully, the kids this year didn’t have a leader or a great pg (sorry harrow) and that is all solved next year. I’m not saying they are going undefeated but they have a chance. Small chance (need luck) but they are going to be extremely good and fun to watch. Plus they already hate Louisville. Could it get much better??? I say yes = wiggins

41. Dleaguebandit
    2:40 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin needs to go to the randle school of public relations.

42. Dleaguebandit
    2:41 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t hurt wcs either.

43. VOTE YALL
    2:42 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

How is it that you still haven’t voted? This the FINAL FOUR! It’s the only one we will see this year so we might as well WIN!! I’m watching both # of comments here and # of votes on the poll. They aren’t matching up!!! I takes longer to leave a KSR comment than it does to vote. No excuses.

44. MacGruber
    2:43 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I bet all the Louisville recruits have been giving them a hard time……… what, oh yeah I forgot.

45. kelso
    2:44 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

20, 24, 28, 29 and whoever else reminded me… Damn I keep forgetting about Dakari? Are we absolutely loaded or what?!?!

46. Mr Obvious
    2:47 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Last time Cal had a player on his team that wore #30 UK won the national championship. Looks like JR is keeping the tradition going.

47. Jen
    2:55 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Don’t mess with (our) Texa(n)s.

48. Roland
    2:59 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

How long b4 Cal echoes himself by saying:
    This team has a chance to be something Special?
    I think everyone already knows.

49. kentuckyrules
    3:02 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

45: forgetting b/c we have SO MANY EFFING AWESOME GUYS is a GOOD thing lol

50. Shy?
    3:06 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

If wiggs is so shy as reported quite often, why is he waiting so long to announce? It’s clearly making him even more the center of attention being the only high profile recruit undecided. I think he’s enjoying the hell out of it……which leads me to believe he will eventually pick up a UK flat bill! Then all you old codgers will complain about his gangsta hat and whine about today’s youths.

51. rj
    6:15 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Austin will you please shut the f-ck up!

52. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    8:50 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I love the new recruits attitudes.