Quotes from Last Night…

Kentucky fell short last night against #13 ranked Georgia in Lexington. Joker Phillips met with the media for his usual post-game comments, and here are some of the highlights:

Injury report: “Zach West reaggravated his shoulder, which is a sprain. Jalen Whitlow had migraines, had distorted vision. He came back late in the game. Cartier Rice has a hip flexor that he reaggravated that he had last week.”

Phillips: “I thought our team played with great effort. Did a better job getting off the field on third down. I think at half they were 4 of 6. Second half 5 of 12.”

“We held them to 41 at half (rushing yards), 77 yards total rushing, which is what we have to do, not allow people to run the football on us. Held them to their second lowest points of the season. We rushed the ball, which gave us a chance.”

“Again, we’ve got to do a better job of throwing and catching. But, again, no one can say this team’s quitting. We have a young team that comes to practice, excited to play, excited to practice, and that’s the type of effort you saw tonight with these guys. We got to continue to get better.”

(Asked if he was worried that his team had quit after last week): “No, I was never worried. I wanted to make sure everybody understands this team does not quit.

(On the onside kick): “Well, we didn’t get the right speed on the ball, first thing. He was just waiting for the ball to cross the 10 yards. Heads up play by him.”

(When asked about the motivation, now that a bowl is not mathematically possible): “We got some seniors in there. We’re motivated to play for those guys. Those guys have done a good job of leading this young team. I can tell you this, those young guys are going to fight their tails off for those seniors who have been with us for a long time.”

(Regarding the continued use of Morgan Newton): “I just think it’s good for a young guy like Jalen to be able to step back after a couple of series. Today it was during the first series, step back, see the game from the sideline, let the game slow down a little bit. We got Morgan in there on the first series in the red zone. I think the red zone is usually when you like to do your wildcat stuff. That’s what Morgan is for us, a wildcat quarterback at times. In the red zone, you’ll see more of him.”

“Jalen has never looked uncomfortable. Maybe to you, but he’s never looked uncomfortable because he always has a good demeanor. He doesn’t get rattled. I’ve never seen him look uncomfortable. Today I think he had a better command of the football.”

(On whether or not the last play was frustrating): “Well, I don’t live in ‘almost.’ I mean, at the end of the year you don’t say, we almost win. The records will say wins and losses. We come out here to try to win. We don’t come out here to almost win. We come out here to win.”

There you have it folks, the post-game comments. Carry on with your Sunday.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

10 Comments for Quotes from Last Night…

1. harry
    1:37 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

my pre-game comments for next week’s game: we wont win!
    my post-game comments: sure didnt!

2. ukscotty
    1:55 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Shameful is what this is….a good effort is a substitute for winning! regardless of effort, we are still 1-7….nothing has changed. At no time last night was Georgia truly threatened. It was a trap game for them, with Florida looming next week. We go to a hungry Mizzou next week…kinda reminds me of last year, good effort in the game before Vandy…went to Nashville and got mutilated! Heard rumors again today, Joker is staying! If true…I AM DONE!

3. Lets face facts
    1:57 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

I know IF joker could build a program at UK he would never live for the BIGGER job. But joker has the 44th highest salary in college football and his team is performing in the 90s-100s in terms of best team.that kind of performance gets you fired at any job. We are guaranteed SEC money every year but the football program isn’t guaranteed money from donors or tickets sales. At this rate both will be at record lows next year. Every site on the web that tAlks about hire coaches next year already have uk and Arkansas lumped into the looking for a coach category. Why continue the charade and inform joker he will be relieved of his duties at the end of the season.

4. CAUKFAN
    2:00 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Good job Cats!

Nice see you don’t give even though the fans have.

5. BLUE BLY
    2:03 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

What’s it take to get fired around here anywayz????

6. Ben
    2:18 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Jokers comments are why I will never be a Joker fan or supporter! How would Joker as a receiver, get all the passes, except those in the red zone? I do not believe that Joker will be back! Mitch would be committing suicide! You think attendance was low this year, just wait until next year! I see no way that Mitch can keep Joker and the fan base too! He has a big decision to make at year end. Problem is that KY is back in the similar shape as before Brooks. Who in their right mind would want to come here?

7. Look around
    2:38 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Look at northwestern. Definitely not a football powerhouse and no less of a challenge than KY. They hired a former player and they’re LB coach as they’re head coach. The difference is he gave the administration reasons to keep him around with 6-7 win seasons. Now they are having one of the most successful seasons in school history. This joker experiment isn’t working out. He can recruit but can’t take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to him. He has had chances to win big games(2-3 this year against ranked teams, SC, UGA, MSU) but he has proven that he can’t capitalized. We had the same issues when joker was OC, the only difference is we had a defense and a health QB.

8. Bob Loblaw
    6:44 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

#4 Yay! We almost won!

9. Unknown Fan
    7:44 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

“Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! We dang near won a football game!!! Break out the paety favors and lets burn a couch!!!”
    Holy Crap Batman….these KSR writers are tokin’ and smokin’!!

10. farmy75
    9:46 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Morgan in the Red Zone: I think this is because he opens up more of the playbook. Also, the shorter area to pass in hides the lack of power for deep throws. Morgan did look a little better than I expected last night. If he keeps playing like that let’s keep doind what we’re doing.