Quotes From Kyle And Cal

John+Calipari+Kyle+Wiltjer+qXuedOWfZnGm

We knew going into the game that if Kentucky could contain Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, their chances of winning in Athens were pretty good. Well, they didn’t do that. Not only did Kentucky not stop KCP (24 points, 10 rebounds), but they let two other Bulldogs reach double figures in scoring. Donte Williams scored 10 points and Nemanja Djurisic added 12 off the bench for a Bulldog team with very little depth.

Tyler will be back later with the night post wrapping it all up, but until then here are a few quotes from Kyle Wiltjer and John Calipari:

Kyle Wiltjer: “We shot the ball awfully, but most importantly couldn’t get stops.” Kyle then told Mike Pratt about how the team must move on and keep their spirits high.

From John Calipari: “This team doesn’t have discipline to close out a game, and that’s my fault.  I accepted this. I’m more disappointed in me than I am the team.”

Cal also said to the team, “Beat Florida, and this all goes away”.

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

65 Comments for Quotes From Kyle And Cal

1. kevin burton
    10:23 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Turrible

2. kevin burton
    10:24 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

first to say this team sucks ballz. However, this team will be good…..in 7months!!!

3. SoFLCat
    10:24 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

“Beat Florida… and monkeys will fly out my a$$.”

4. Downtown
    10:24 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

They are not going to beat Florida.

5. Big Mike
    10:25 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

someone tell call you have to be in the lead at some point in the second half to “Close Out”. This team is just unwatchable. Horrible turnovers, terrible shot selection and a stagnant offense. Come on boys, get isht right.

6. Big Mike
    10:26 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

* Cal – damn autocorrect

7. kevin burton
    10:27 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Wiltcher–Slow butter hands
    Harrow–weak as water
    Poythress–lazy
    Mays–average
    Goodwin-selfish

8. Mike
    10:29 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Beat Florida and it all goes away?? Sorry Cal, can’t drink the kool aid. You need to take more responsibility for recruiting these duds and failing to coach any of them up during the year. We will have to give you a pass this year but guess you can’t win them all.

9. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    10:30 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

This team plays with the least pride of any UK team I have ever seen.

10. Kristen Geil's Abs
    10:30 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

They lost; they had a bad season. Life goes on guys. Try not to let your self esteem be dictated by a group of teenagers accomplishments or failures.

11. bankshot
    10:31 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I am 100% sure that we will not beat Florida.

12. Hooter
    10:33 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I drove two and a half hours to watch this game!! Shame on me. I would rather stick my pecker in a meat grinder than watch Harrows little panzy ass try to play ball. He’s the bad apple that has hurt this team. He’s turrible, i hope he transfers. Looked like Wiltjers vertical went from 4 inches down to 2 inches. Hood hustled, Mays can’t drive into the lane to save his life. Poythress is like the lion in the wizard of oz. ” i got no courage”

13. Floyd County
    10:34 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

10 loss Cal…. Its time Wildcat fans feel they can question Cal. he is not God!!!!

Lord know Wildcat fans would be willingly yelling at Tubby if he had this much talent and was doing nothing with it. These kids play like they do not care. I agree with #9. Hell, recruit some Kentucky kids who care about UK and things will change.

14. Hey
    10:36 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Floyd County? That is a credible area. Geez. You are a idiot. We won a title last year!

15. Steve
    10:36 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

When was the last time, lower arena tickets for the Semi-finals of the state high school tournament will be tougher to get than lower arena Ky-Florida tickets on Sat?

16. Hey
    10:37 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Hooter – go root for UL. You won’t have to worry about being less than average. And you certainly won’t have to ever worry about what to wear to a victory party after winning a title.

17. Sweet Wm
    10:37 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Question…..how bad is Jon Hood that he cannot break into this lineup? Just thinking!

18. Brian
    10:38 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, it’s frustrating. We were spoiled. These aren’t one and dones folks. You question their heart but, I won’t. Not till they are juniors anyway (if they stay that long). Go on and blame your coach. He missed on this group and what is happening is a product of his philosophy (which got you #8 I might add). You sit there in you NO 1 Greater NC shirt and complain. You say you bleed blue but can’t support THIS team because they don’t deserve to wear the jersey. Well, we bleed when we are hurt, so you bleed blue now or never. Don’t give haters reasons to call us bandwagon fans. I’m frustrated too…but don’t go too far. Maybe, you don’t bleed blue as you think, and maybe you don’t deserve to wear that NC shirt. Show a little “heart” yourselves. Geeez.

19. Hey
    10:38 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

15 – Who cares. When you get in the gym look up and you will see 8 BANNERS HANGING FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS and one of those will say 2012. Go to YUM and the last one says 1986!!!!!!

20. Rashawn
    10:39 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

11) Me too- mostly because I’m positive you and I won’t be playing against Florida anytime soon.

21. Hey
    10:39 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

17. Cal does not play Hood much to keep him from embarrassing himself. BTW, what difference would it make anyways?

22. Ksubball
    10:39 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph. Please educate yourself ding dongs.

23. bdowne
    10:43 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I could not have said it better myself @ 18

24. Mc
    10:44 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 21. If you really know basketball and watch Hood it’s good entertainment. Tonight with about 3 minutes left in the first half, I witnessed perhaps the worst defensive play I’ve seen in quite some time. He’s lost on defense. Ironically most that say Hood should play more think polson, wiltjer, and hood are the only 3 with heart. Also ironic all 3 are white and there’s a hood involved.

25. Sweet Wm
    10:45 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

What are the others doing then (re:embarrassment)? >21<

26. Gman
    10:46 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

More Hood can’t hurt. At least he wants to be there. A little pride goes a long way in March.

27. Rashawn
    10:49 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Who had a worse showing tonight? UK or Ben Hoffman? Ouch

28. crackerhillbilly
    10:49 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

So what happens to these guys? NN is worthy of an NBA pick, but we would sure love to see him return. WCS is a raw freak, but nowhere near ready. AG has great physical skills, but nowhere near ready. AP is not even a D1 player – any NBA team thinking of drafting him should just flush the money and save the trouble. If AG and AP don’t get drafted, wIll they ride pine next year? Transfer? Go Abroad?

29. Josh
    10:49 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I’ve moved to acceptance. This team will not make the NCAA Tournament. That’s not good, but I accept it. I’m going to enjoy watching them play as a #1 seed in the NIT, and I’ll feel great for the players if they do well in it. I’m not angry at the guys, they are just 19 year old kids trying to live up to the expectations we have for them.

We won a national title last year. We have a amazing chance next year. I really can’t ask for more from Cal, and if this is what this team is right now, I’m fine with that.

30. mudcreekmark
    10:49 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

21) All the other players are embarrassing themselfs so why would Cal need to protect Hood? If you have paid any attention to the last several games Hood has actually played really well. He is shooting 50% on the year and 45% on threes and has only 2 turnovers all year long. So I think he has played just as goood or better than most on the team, plus he busts his azz off when he’s out there and plays with heart.

31. KSR
    10:50 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

12) You’re on a roll dude! Funny.
    We suck. I told you we should have hired Petrino. Cal heard the Arkansas coaches saying…..”They are soft”. But look at some other schools who have had great recruits that didn’t develop as fast as hoped for (North Carolina), or schools who had injury issues (the Filthy Cards) and I’d say we have skipped a whole lot of that BS over the last few years. Its too bad they have the perception that they aren’t giving their best effort. Not hustling is hard to swallow at UK. I hope some of these guys go pro and I have a feeling there will be transfers (Harrow Hood). Write this year off and take one of the following options…1.) Can’t wait till next year….or 2.) We are a football school……Your choice and both are good.

32. mudcreekmark
    10:50 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

themselves

33. Mc
    10:50 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Also agree 18. Still going to root the team on, but feel a couple of them have checked out. Thought Goodwin hustled tonight. Tells me he’s declaring. Cals recruitment of a few pgs tell me harrow is gone. AP is coasting. Wiltjer settled for way too many 3s which is lazy at times against a zone, but since no one is moving through the zone whatever. He also turns his back to the ball on defense. Saw Mays on a milk carton this past week. WCS is solid, but raw and has no help. Polson is like Rudy Ruettiger.

34. Roger
    10:50 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Kyle grow some balls and play some defense. Your 6’9″ for god sake.

35. Hey
    10:51 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

25. You have to know the game. Hood cannot play at this level and he would be embarrassed to a point where his entire stay at UK would be a memory he would want to forget. He’s lucky the team is awful this season and there really is no one else to put in. It took all of that plus an injury to Noel for him to see the court. Don’t think for a second that if Hood could play Cal would not leave him in.

36. Mays????
    10:51 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Minus the five good games mays has had how does he keep getting 35+ minutes each game??? He is terrible. I would rather watch good play and get rebounds and a few points than mays suck it up. People cry foul when you said play Hood, but when has the kid played with the first team for over five minutes?? I’ll answer that. Never. Give the kid a chance that moves without the ball and gets rebounds. There’s no way he can defend worse than Julius. I call 38 minutes and zero points a complete waste of space. Get someone in there that produces something other than yelling at his teammates.

37. iucansuckabigblue...
    10:52 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Usually don’t care about negative loser troll clowns…. But this Chris guy challenging 8s a disgrace. Dude quit claiming your one of us. Your nothing but a piece of trash low life Loserville fan.

Stop calling in you are a fool.

38. iucansuckabigblue...
    10:53 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Calling in is a * Autodumbcorrect

39. Mike
    10:55 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s smile during hand shake at end of game had to have been one of his insincerest every. He never got this team to “buy in” and one would have to think he has given up on them like we have, but we can show it. I am okay if we lose every game from here on out because those are the expectations the team has presented to us.

40. mashburnfan1
    10:55 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

just hard to watch this group, not using word team with these guys, play anymore. Can’t score, give away the ball and points, lack of hustle for entire game just hard to watch. Lose to UF, which we will, lose in 1st round of SEC tourney, very probable, and a 2nd round loss in NIT and get this season over with. All falls on Cal and coaching staff. College basketball is as bad as it has been in 30 years and they can’t get a team to the tourney….pathetic and he should be to blame.

41. Mays???
    10:56 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Hood not good. #autocorrect

42. Hey
    10:58 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

36. Yes, there is a way Hood can suck worse than Mays at defense and he does. I would say “let Hood play extended minutes against Florida” just to shut up some of these know-it-all wahoos here, but that would not be fair to Hood and Cal knows it. Hood is NOT a high major D1 talent. Never was, never will be. This season cannot end fast enough. UK will win a title next year and all these trolls and half-a$$ fans on here will be no where in site. That’s what you call fakes and parasites.

43. Hey
    10:58 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

MIKE MIKE MIKE … You are a UL troll with a MILF (I’m with her right now as your downstairs on the CPU on KSR. Stay busy. No matter how you try to slice Cal apart, the FACT is, Cal has won a title already in just 3 years in Lexington. Meanwhile, Pitino and his open-relationship with Joan, has NOT WON A TITLE at your college UL!!! Yes, this year sucks, so freaking what! UK is set to make a serious run next year.

If UL does not win a title this year, then UL has ZERO HOPE of doing it for awhile as DING DONG and SIVA are GONE! Choke on it like your mother!

44. Wildcatsteeler
    10:59 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

This team without Noel sucks plain and simple. Listening to Knight pointing out every idiot fundamental mistake is what I’ve been doing all season long. Was nice to hear someone else say it even if it was Knight.

45. Newt
    10:59 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

3 shots? Alex only took 3 shots? To paraphrase Mike Singletary…’I want winners’.

46. Mc
    10:59 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m gonna give Cal a mulligan on the season, and just root the team on and accept it for what it is. We have zero bench and a few starters that have talent that the bench doesn’t have, but they didn’t buy in. We all got a little spoiled. The program will be fine, and Cal will deliver again.

47. dave
    11:02 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Cal also said to the team, “Beat Florida, and this all goes away”.

Yeah, that ain’t gonna happen…

Cal should be the lowest paid coach in the SEC this year. He mailed it in this season.

48. Roger
    11:04 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

If Noels dont get hurt he hides alot of this lazy no defense bunch. We get in the NCAA possibly the Sweet Sixteen. We say we had no players coming back and all in all a good season with no returning players. Kyle W. is not a player. He will end up going to a Mid Major next year somewhere never to be heard of again. Hood may try to play at Pikeville or a school at that level so he can get more playing time. But you cant blame this on Cal. We have had 4 out of 5 good season. This team is not responding and he has tried everything.

49. Ridiculous
    11:04 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

This is the weakest that the SEC has been and probably will be for years to come and we just couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity. Should we have been ranked #3 in the nation at one point? Probably not? Should we be fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament? Hell no!! This is ridiculous! We have more talent than most, we supposedly have a better coach than most and this is what we get? No heart, soft, get punked out, just sickening….honestly can’t believe what I’ve witnessed.

50. Mc
    11:05 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

#36) I’ll trust that cal doesn’t play hood much because he knows what he’s doing. I bet hood gets dogged in practice and cal pumps him up to the media to get others motivated. Sort of a backhand to everyone else. Please watch him on d with about 3 minutes to go in the first half. You’ll see it. Over play on inbound, late getting back. Then runs right past the shooter out of bounds. Good stuff. He’s lost. Just accept that he doesn’t play for a reason.

51. Mays???
    11:05 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

#42 Is that why mays came from a Mid-major??? Because he’s big talent? I’m just saying its nice to see someone moving without the ball like Hood did tonight. And for everyone saying that it’s because he is white that is stupid. I could care less if he was orange or green. He hustles when he is out there and puts in decent minutes, which is better than what Julius can say those 38 minutes were tonight. Apparently Georgia played 5 on 4 because the 38 minutes mays played weren’t worth a damn.

52. Sheray Thomas' Footwork
    11:06 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

The reason this team didn’t “buy in” is due to lack of 2 things: Heart and basketball IQ.

53. Mays???
    11:10 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

#50 I’m not saying hood is a great player. But do we need to point out how many times mays gets lost on D or gets owned?? Or how many times he throws the ball away??? You do notice his fantastic pass against Florida came after he got beat on D and then we lost our best player who ran back on D to fix one of his screw ups?? I’m just saying there’s no way a kid should play 38 minutes and not score a damn point. Not 1. How does that even happen? Coach ca should pull him out. I could care less who it is that comes in, but seeing how Hood is our 8th man I would suggest him if polson and Wiltjer are already in the game.

54. Wildcat Willie
    11:11 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Don’t beat yourself up too bad Cal. You took those guys to a title last year and you will probably do it again next year. Appreciate you taking the blame away from these kids and putting it on yourself. Class Act. Archie has been playing his butt off these last few and its not his fault the refs seem to hate him. I really hope some of these kids do search their hearts and decide if they are going to put it all out there on the court because it really seems like they aren’t. How does Poythress only come up with 3 FG attempts tonight?? That is the biggest mystery to me. The guy shoots it at an amazing %. The offense should run through him IMO but for whatever reason nights like tonight happen and he only gets up 3 shots. This has to change. For us to win Alex needs to be getting up double digit shots EVERY NIGHT. I’m not putting this on his teammates not getting him the ball, its on Cal it’s on Alex and its on his teammates. Thats my .02 for the night.

55. 51
    11:13 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

While I agree somewhat, mays did go to nc state too. Also, we have few players that can extend the d or perhaps limit the amount of zone d we see. Unfortunately mays is one of them. However, he has vanished the past two games. Hood would take minutes from someone else, and can’t guard anybody. But sure, at this point throw him out there. What will it hurt? Believe me though, there’s a reason cal doesn’t play him much. He gets to evaluate his game a lot more than you do.

56. Wildcat Willie
    11:14 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

When it’s all said and done though, I am true blue to the core, and I will support and believe in the Cayts until the last bounce of our season, even if that means the NIT. Love my Wildcats.

57. Mays???
    11:16 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I agree Cal knows 100495849x more than I do about his team and I guess there’s no reason Hood should play seeing how he is not coming back next year so I’ve heard

58. Mc
    11:18 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Same here 56. Just don’t have the right pieces. A pg that can distribute and get to the hoop consistently, a sg that can shoot consistently, a sf that is versatile and can guard multiple positions, a pf with power, and a center that can finish and intimidate the opposing team. Plus a bench with solid role players with some talent. Sound familiar?

59. Dilemma
    11:30 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Problem cal has is no shooting. Ok you want hood to play over mays. Means harrow, Goodwin, hood, ap, and WCS. Team runs a zone and we’re toast and hood can’t guard a 3 with talent. Ok, so bring in wiltjer. Well now you have hood and wiltjer, and the d is terrible. It’s simple. Uk doesn’t have versatility in its personnel and there’s no line-up that works. The starting 5 is about as good as cal can do. There are no athletes on the bench. So he’ll say what he has to,

60. BK in Scottsville
    11:36 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Gonna support them come hell or high water. They are just young and missing a few parts. Frustrating, no doubt, but; help is coming.

61. Wildcatsteeler
    12:20 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Why wasn’t Wiltjer on a serious weight lifting program over the summer? He has zero definition or strength and gets pushed around like a girl. When you’re white, can’t jump and have very little athleticism you have to be able to use your body. He has a great shot and this season has shown surprising post moves. He needs to hit the weights nonstop this summer.

62. HEY YOU
    12:59 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Hood played a great game tonight. Mays goes for 0 PTs and 2 boards and Wiltjer at (6′ 10″) goes for 4 boards the whole game while the big white guy from UGA ate him alive. Good goes for 4 PTs 3 boards in seven minutes and you say he is awful? Not D1 talent? Are you serious? If you would stop sucking the Kyle Wiltjer teet and realize that he is a liability then maybe you could understand basketball. I bet you said a year ago Polson couldn’t play at Asbury. If Cal would drop his ego, get over the fact that BCG recruited Hood, and play the kid, you wouldn’t say he’s terrible. Also, who ever said Hood was transferring? I swear, someone could say Abraham Lincoln was going to run point next year and some of you would believe it.

63. Mays???
    2:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#62 I agree. Everyone jumps to conclusions on Hood when he plays 2 min a game. He deserves a few chances just like polson and maybe we will see why he was ranked so high. I know I watched him in high school and the kid could play (just wasn’t against the best talent). Still you don’t dominate everyone all the time if you don’t have any talent. And that’s what he did throughout high school. Give the kid a chance. He can’t suck worse than what happened tonight w everyone else.

64. Kevin C.
    4:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Hood should have gotten ALL of Poythress’ 2nd half minutes….instead he got ZERO. Alex needs to go; transfer, quit, NBDL, Europe….I don’t care, just get his lazy butt out of Lexington, and give his scholly to someone who wants to be there.

65. Hood? Really?
    9:38 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I just have to think that Cal knows what he’s doing by not playing Hood as much. He’s a terrible defender=Fact. I hope Cal plays him 30 minutes against Florida for you guys though.