Quarterback Report from Today’s Scrimmage

The main question going into today’s football scrimmage was who would emerge as the leader for the starting Quarterback position.  After today’s activity the Offensive Coordinator of Kentucky, Randy Sanders, seems to think that Maxwell Smith is the current leader for the open position.  While no official statement was made that it was clear from Sanders’ comments that Smith was indeed the leader, followed by Morgan Newton, and then the two incoming Freshmen.  Judging from Sanders’ comments it looks as though all four of the potential starters have work to do.  However, the returnees, Smith and Newton, have separated themselves from the pack.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

9 Comments for Quarterback Report from Today’s Scrimmage

1. catfan68
    6:39 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

Joker will start Newton no matter what.

2. shelbyjoe
    6:58 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

disagree with ya 1 – Joker knows he MUST win this year, he’ll start Smith if he can stay in front of Newton in practice.
    In regards to Newton and Smith – good news that they’re separating themselves from the freshmen – if they weren’t, I’d be really worried.
    The key to either’s success is the O-line, if they can’t protect and open holes for the running game, I don’t care if we stick a young Joe Montana back there, he can’t throw laying on his back.

3. UL2UK8
    7:00 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

Newton can not read college defenses.

4. pete Rose
    8:10 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

I know Jonathon loves the freshman. Freedom of speech babe!

5. Catlogic15
    8:38 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #1 and #3. Newton had too long to learn and hasn’t. If this is separation, we’ll be as bad as the experts say. It also says we’re going with the same boring ass non-productive offense with a rebuilt defense. Ouch! Yikes!

6. GonnaBeALongLongSeason
    9:43 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

The fact that Morgan Newton is being considered at all is just beyond me. Joker is positioning for we are a young team so that will be his excuse.

7. catfan68
    10:28 pm August 11, 2012 Permalink

#6 I agree with you…Newton was a dismal failure last season and I can not comprehend why he would even be considered at QB. I remember last summer all Joker could say was how great Newton looked; How we wouldn’t even recognize Newton blah blah. Newton has never impressed me. People keep saying “but he won at Auburn and he won at Georgia”…I remember Will Fiedler playing significant minutes at Auburn that game and our defense won the Georgia game (remember all the interceptions). Please Please Please give someone else a shot. I wish Ryan had at least had a shot in the bowl game with Pitt but despite how poorly Newton played that game, Joker wouldn’t even give him a smell of the field so he transfered. I hope Joker gives someone else a chance. Max wouldn’t have played last season had Newton stayed healthy. If Joker couldn’t see Smith was better than Newton, then I question his ability to evaluate talent.

8. putinrichie
    7:58 am August 12, 2012 Permalink

I agree that Newton shouldn’t be considered, but I will save my judgement until after the UL game. If we win that game, I don’t care who the QB is. If we lose, than Joker is going to get drilled. He better have this team ready with no excuses.

9. big tim
    11:06 am August 12, 2012 Permalink

max will be the qb competition makes you better he wants maxs to think he can lose it