Puff Daddy’s Saturday Night News and Views

We all know Sean Combs, but you may not know his name is Sean Combs. During his illustrious career as a rapper/producer/Biggie’s best friend, the man formerly known as Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, and now known as just “Diddy” has produced a slew of talented artists as the CEO of Bad Boy Records. Puff started Bad Boy Records after being fired from Uptown Records in 1993 and brought up-and-coming rapper Biggie with him as a start up, and 19 years later, is the richest player in the hip hop industry as Forbes has estimated his worth at $550 million. In 2002, he made Fortune Magazine’s  “Top 40 entrepreneurs under 40” list, and on Sunday, he will celebrate his 43rd birthday.

Most people who grew up in the ’90’s, when I was a strapping elementary schooler, remember the infamous Bad Boy-Death Row feud centered around Biggie and the East Coast vs. Tupac and the West Coast, a feud that resulted in the controversial shootings of both stars in the prime of their careers. But of all the great things I can say about Diddy’s accomplishments, my absolute 2 favorite memories of Sean Combs will be his performance of “I’ll Be Missing You” alongside Sting and Faith Evans at the 1997 Video Music Awards, which was a beautiful tribute to Biggie following his death. Secondly, his acting as the character of record executive Sergio Roma in the movie “Get Him To The Greek” which I assume to be a spot on portrayal of how he is as an actual record executive.

WARNING: Video #2 is NSFW. Or small, impressionable children.

Now, let’s get to the important news of the day…

In news that shocks almost none of the Big Blue Nation, the football Wildcats dropped their 8th consecutive game on Saturday to fall to 1-9, and a perfect 0-7 in the SEC. Of the most embarrassing losses of Joker Phillips’ tenure at Kentucky, today’s 40-0 drubbing at the hands of…. the Vanderbilt Commodores is right up there next to the WKU loss earlier this year. As Not Jerry Tipton elegantly put it earlier today, Joker Phillips beat John Calipari in the race for 40-0.

If it hadn’t already been decided, Joker Phillips career at Kentucky more than likely completed the digging of it’s own grave on Saturday, and at this point there’s no turning back. What we saw on the field today at Commonwealth was an embarrassment, a 40-point, shutout loss to a team that up until last year was a game on the schedule that UK fans could point to and confidently pronounce “Win”, but now only serves as a brutal reminder of the drop the program has taken in the past couple of seasons. The fans made their displeasure well known today as the announced CWS attendance of 44,092 tickets sold (which is awful in it’s own right) was only dwarfed by the actual number of butts in seats, which judging by multiple reports, hovered around 19,000, the lowest since the stadium expanded in 1999.

Whoever inherits the program next season will have a challenge on their hands. Not only on the field, but getting fans to buy into Kentucky football again. Going into this season, I thought that Kentucky fans still had some hope for the program under Joker, and most fans stood by the team throughout the early part of the year, but it has become clear in the past couple of weeks that any attempt at maintaining fan support has failed miserably. As much as it pains me to say it, Kentucky needs to follow Louisville’s lead in this upcoming coaching search. When Charlie Strong was hired at UofL, even before his first season he had Louisville fans believing that the program was on the come-up, and has delivered in a big way. Getting the backing of the fans should be the first priority of any new coach, especially considering the Wildcats do have a lot of promising young talent gaining valuable experience this season.

#Section206 is still excited for some Kentucky football, though. It’s not just a cold, metal seat. It’s a lifestyle.

For those of you interested in watching sports that Kentucky wins at, UK’s Men’s Soccer team looks to close out the regular season by clinching a bye in the Conference USA Tournament against South Carolina tomorrow afternoon at 1pm. The Soccer Wildcats are 9-7-1 this season, and 4-2-1 in conference play. According to UKAthletics.com, the game tomorrow will be televised by the UK/IMG Network on Fox Sports South and WKYT. If you need another reason to head out to the UK Soccer Complex tomorrow, UK’s 6 Seniors (Gabriel Conelian, Matt Lodge, Jacob Kemper, Charley Pettys, Bryon Vega, and Cameron Wilder) will be honored before the game for Senior Day.

Anthony Davis did not travel with the New Orleans Hornets to his home city of Chicago for a game against Marquis Teague and the Bulls tonight after suffering a concussion in the 2nd quarter of a game against the Utah Jazz on Friday night. In news that will surely not help Duke’s popularity with the Big Blue Nation, the injury came after an inadvertent elbow to the head from teammate and fellow Hornets rookie Austin Rivers. After dropping  a cool 21 points and 7 rebounds against the San Antonio Spurs in his NBA debut, Davis had recorded 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks against Utah before leaving the game with 4:51 left in the 1st Half.

Obviously, it sucks that of all games to have to miss, Davis would miss his homecoming game in Chicago, considering it is the only scheduled game this season for the Hornets in the city he grew up in, but concussions are nothing to be taken lightly and according to the new NBA CBA, Davis must pass all league-mandated concussion testing before being cleared to play again. New Orleans Head Coach Monty Williams is optimistic that Davis’ injury isn’t a serious one however, and in fact, is upset that the NBA’s new guidelines prevented his star rookie from joining the team in Chicago.

“When you’re dealing with the brain, I guess what’s happening in football has affected everybody,” the Hornets coach said. “You treat everybody like they have on white gloves and pink drawers. It’s getting old. But it’s just the way the league is now.”

“I’m not saying I don’t like it,” Williams said. “We’ve got to protect the players. But I think the players should have more say-so in how they feel. I’m sure I had four or five concussions when I played, and they didn’t bother me. The NBA is doing what’s necessary to protect the players. But this is not the NFL. You don’t get hit in the head that much. So I understand it, but as a coach, I’m a baby about it. I want my guys ready to play.”

At the time of me writing this, the Hornets are still on top of the Bulls at halftime though, 46-44.

Rapper Wale visited the Kentucky Basketball team today and was presented with an honorary jersey, and to give some insight to those of you less acquainted with today’s rap game, this is another very good thing for Kentucky basketball. If you remember correctly, Wale has also shouted out Calipari and Kentucky in his song entitled “Varsity Blues” off his “11-1-11” mix tape last year.

“They hate on Calipari/ I never seen a problem/ They get one season poppin’/ At least he’s being honest”

Calipari in just 3 1/2 short years has made Lexington, KY without question the “IT” place to be in college basketball. Whether it be casually hanging out with Jay-Z at his concerts or the budding relationship between Drake and the Kentucky program, I feel like I don’t need to say it again, but I’m going to. John Vincent Calipari just flat out gets it. The way he markets the program to the die-hard fans in the Commonwealth and to young, budding basketball talents across the nation is remarkable, and he continues to amaze me by exploiting 100% of the resources he has at hand for the positive gain of the program. After his visit today, Wale posted this picture on Instagram with the caption “#UK #coachcal these kids are good”

Honestly, if you we’re going to create a polar opposite for Kentucky’s football team right now, it would be Kentucky’s basketball team.

That’s all for the News and Views tonight, drown your football sorrows in a bottle of John Calipari-edition Maker’s Mark and wait for basketball’s next game on Monday against Transy. I’ll be with you tomorrow morning to get your NFL Sunday started, and I’ll also be out at Anderson Dean Park in Harrodsburg for the first ever matchup between Kentucky and Louisville’s club baseball teams at 2pm. If you’re free come out and watch the “other” Baseball ‘Cats begin another rivalry with our neighbors down I-64. If you still want to keep up with the action from home, follow me on Twitter @WillTottenKSR.

Sleep tight, Big Blue Nation.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

56 Comments for Puff Daddy’s Saturday Night News and Views

1. UKISGREAT
    11:05 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

Why is UK, Uofl game being played in harrodsburg?

2. BLUE BLY
    11:11 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

I got a better question….why is Joker still on UK payroll?????????????????????????????????????????

FIRE HIM!!!!!!! TODAY!!!! Should have fired him after he lost to WKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. carnifex
    11:18 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

Will Barney be there? And can I meet him? Personally? Really really personally? I just want to say hi,and tell him what a great job he’s doing with football.

4. old_school
    11:21 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

So after detailing Rap’s violent past in the 90s that celebrated murder, we jump forward to Cal embracing this lifestyle.

Cal talks about changing lives – which should include helping young people from inner-cities move beyond the violence, drugs, fatherless communities – but he embraces and condones the same thuggish lifestyle that has ruined life after life after life in these communities.

I’m calling him out – right now. If Cal truly wants to better the lives of these young people – it starts with education and challenging them to live by higher standards than what prevails in the dominant culture in these communities.

Does Cal challenge these young players to get an education, re-evaluate community standards – then go back to these communities to show them what hard-work, academics, respect for women and a drug-free lifestyle can produce? No – He’d rather embrace the rap culture that promotes the very thing that kills the black community.

Cal is doing nothing but exploit the very worse of that culture. He says he’s simply trying to get a few young kids to reach their dreams of being millionaires – but at what cost?

Look at 90 percent of rap CDs/Albums and they’ll carry the Parental Advisory label on them (a badge of honor within that rap fraternity). Cal’s welcoming arms to those who continue to fill our culture with trash, is an embarassment to the University of Kentucky.

At some point – fans will wake up and be ashamed. But success has blinded most UK fans we simply bask in the glory of wins, titles and ordering extra championship rings for whatever vile rap star is hip at the moment.

The UK administration should take a stand – but I won’t hold my breath for that one.

5. Will Totten
    11:29 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

1. Club Baseball, not officially funded by the Universities, so they have to find their own facilities to use

6. Turdschool
    11:32 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

I meant #4

7. Turdschool
    11:33 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey old school
    I beat you like it old school like 1863 old school huh

8. Head Bussa
    11:36 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

Whether you like it or not, rap music is a major part of the African-American culture. Just making relationships with people in the music industry does not mean that Calipari condones the use of drugs, gun violence, or the degradation of women. You don’t see Calipari saying or encouraging such things. In fact, he is trying to make an influence on the musicians themselves such as Drake. He has been openly encouraging that young man to get an education. In denying and ignoring the fact that rap is huge in the hip-hop community, Calipari would not be doing his players any good. Regardless, these kids would still listen to such music because they are black and that is their culture. All Calipari can do is emphasize education, staying clean, and living a good life to give back to others less fortunate. He cannot change what other grown men do. If you honestly think he doesn’t teach his players right from wrong you are not being honest to yourself. I salute him for having an open enough mind to accept African-American culture and not be so high and mighty as to ignore its meaning to his very own players and recruits.

9. old_school
    11:37 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

#6 – Apparently – you’ve been raised on that culture.
    Notice the language you use, the short sentences, the lack of punctuation. There may be potential there – but you must be willing to put in the hard work to learn how to express yourselve in a much more adult manner.

10. moyockcat
    11:45 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey old school, I understand your point and I’m more of a blues kinda of guy but we are talking about 18 to 20 year old kids. Not thinking they listen to what I listen to in order to get fired up for a game. I really hope the biggest complaint we can come up with when feeling the need to complain is coach embracing the genre of music his kids listen to. The kids love coach so if bringing in a rapper makes them happy I’m all for it. I don’t know what music you listen to but I like it all, loves me some “outlaw country” but have you ever listened to some of the lyrics. Or you could go heavy metal like I grew up with, what message was that sending. How bout we just do not allow the coach to endorse any music because he will never please everyone.

11. old_school
    11:46 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

#9 – When a culture is poisoned and ruined by elements within – they would be wise to change that culture. There’s a growing culture in eastern Kentucky that is fueled by laziness, welfare and prescription drugs. I say that as a Kentucky proud of his E. KY heritage – but facts are facts. The wise culture is one that will recognize the poison within – and make attempts to remove it.

There are many, many people within the black community that have been outspoken critics of the criminal, vile, unsavory aspects of rap music. They beg for change, they beg for their young people to seek out more positive role-models and examples.

Instead of truly caring about the long-term success and survival of the black family – one in which fathers are present, drugs are shunned and women are respected – Cal quickly and carelessly embraces the trendy lifestyle that leads to the ruination of an entire society.

He’s using rap music to exploit these young men and to lure them to UK to pad his success. And UK fans are accomplices in this tragic, pathetic scheme.

The Kentucky program should not have to rely on schemes or clever marketing. We are Kentucky. There have been ups and downs – but we are still KENTUCKY – the hallmark of college basketball success. Coming to school here should be viewed as an honor – an honor that carries with it an obligation – and the ultimate goal of any coach of any sports should be that a young athlete who arrives at UK should leave a much better person, a more mature person – than when he arrived.

12. old_school
    11:48 pm November 3, 2012 Permalink

#10 – I love the blues myself – and the outlaw country like David Alan Coe – I think UK fans would be up in arms (and rightfully so) if a coach tried to make that idiot a face of the UK program.

13. capt
    12:06 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

so, how bad would it be to hire a new coach, fire randy sanders, and just demote joker back to offensive coordinator?

14. Oldschool
    12:07 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Anybody ever see a game at Stoll Field in the early 70s?

15. UKGrad04
    12:10 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

11. I think you’re confusing rap and hip hop. Rap is about life on the streets. Hip hop is about flaunting your money. (Obviously those are both generalizations). And you can beat your chest about how coming to school here should be viewed as an honor and yada yada, and I’m sure to these athletes it is, but you can’t have it both ways. It sounds like you’d rather be a Vandy fan, in which case, I invite you to do so. But if you want to win, you have to change with the current.

I’d also like to point out that the majority of kids who have played for Cal while he’s been at Kentucky have turned out to be excellent young men post-UK. In fact, I can’t think of anyone who’s left the program since he’s been here who’s had any major problems.

16. Oldschool
    12:12 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Pretty nice place to be on a Saturday. You could bring in all the beer and pot you wanted. Just a place to chill and wait for basketball. Our current position is nothing new.

17. Mass Confusion
    12:16 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

11. You do know the majority of rap music is purchased by white people. The rap industry, which is mostly run by white people, only produces “vile” music because that is what the consumer wants and asks for. Ask yourself why is Wale performing a concert in Lexington,Ky? hint: he knows his clientele.

18. Will Totten
    12:17 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

@old_school — Is Calipari really using rap music to “exploit and lure young men to UK?” or was that just a random complete sentence you discovered that backed your argument? Any notion that Calipari is embracing a culture of drugs, violence, or disrespect to women to further his career is one of the biggest reaches I’ve ever seen.

Not all rap music is disrespectful and derrogative, in the same way that not all kids who come from the inner-city are juvenile. Generalizing an entire culture and genre of music, and proclaiming that as a reason for social issues is beyond ridiculous. In fact, one could argue that your opposition to an entire culture of people who appreciate the music, and the music itself, is an even greater cause for social rebellion. The music is obviously intended for an audience unlike yourself, and it’s pretty close-minded of you to think you know what’s best for others.

In terms of Kentucky, Calipari has done an amazing job of recruiting character athletes as well as talent, which in this day and age, is a lot to ask for.

19. oldschoolisnoschool
    12:19 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

old school, i don’t want to list all the reasons why you are fuggin dumb, so i’ll just leave it at that.

20. PR
    12:30 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

@ Old School…I’m sick and tired of seeing your responses litter the comments section. You are a miserable human being. No one within the athletic program gives 2 shits about what you think. Just enjoy the ride my friend.

21. perspective
    12:40 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

@old school-You make the argument that rap music just sings about drugs, violence, and taking advantage of women. Well guess what all music does that. It is not just hip-hop. It also R&B, Rock, Classic rock and hell even country. If you dont believe look up the “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” off the Beatles album Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. This song was about them trippin theirs balls off. Hell, even Jonny Cash sang about killing a men. Cash once said in his song “I once shot man just to watch him die.” The only differnce between rap music and your defintion of “wholesome” music is that rap is not vague about the story or agenda they are passing off in their song. I listen to rap. I am not some inner city punk kid looking to make trouble. I am middle class white boy who is just trying to get a major in biology and just enjoy myself.

22. tdogg40330
    12:41 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

HARRODSBURG REPRESENT !!!!!

23. Dennis from Ukraine
    12:42 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Where does Barnhart live?

24. BAdams
    12:43 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Old school, a feud that happened in the 90s has nothing to do with these rappers now days, hell most of them was barely alive. There is a big difference between gangster rap and rap, just like there is a difference between rap and hip hop. Most of it is crap because lets face it, the real hip hop is long gone…hip hop hooray, hooo! That’s when hip hop was about real problems or having a good time, not money, hoes, and cars. So please refrain from categorizing everything into one group bc your too old to appreciate the art. When done right, rap is awesome and is not easy to do, I’d love to hear you freestyle. Fact of the matter, Cal has bright kids on his team who do focus on academics, the team GPA speaks for itself, him making one of his players read books and discuss with him says so as well. Another thing, Jay Z and Drake are about as far from thug that you can get. These are young adults who were raised with some sense, they know right from wrong. They enjoy the music, might as well embrace it and show that your cool cuz that appeals to these young players. Ask Julius Randle how stoked he was about meeting Drake. Get with the times old man.

25. BAdams
    12:46 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

And I mean Cal embracing it and showing he is willing to relate to his players. We see how unrelatable Billy G was and look what that got us.

26. BPsycho
    12:47 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

“We all know Sean Combs, but you may not know his name is Sean Combs.”

Ok.

27. New school
    1:14 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Old school grow a pair and get on with the times. All I’ve ever herd you do is talk with you god complex and put others down. I’m guessing by your negativity towards any thing of the other culture, one must have got a hold of your grand daughter or something. Or maybe one of those good old ‘lazy’ boys from E. Ky might have put a good one on her. Grow up man.

28. who cares
    1:53 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone really care about rap on here? I know I don’t write something that has to deal with sports or somthing.

29. Hal
    2:44 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

4-you’ve clearly never even listened to wale once. since songs like friends & strangers, presciption, varsity blues, shades, etc would make your statements sound beyond ignorant and borderline racist.
    get. over. yourself.

30. Manbearpig
    3:34 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Old School, from reading your posts everyone on this thread has become dumber as a result. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul

31. Patrick Bateman
    4:48 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Will Totten, racist white people spewing misconceptions about hip-hop music has saved you from receiving the appropriate amount of criticism you deserve for this subpar N&V.

That is all.

32. SexnNursinHomes
    8:11 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

old fool. you old POS racist, I hope your prostate falls out in the toilet after dumping out a big ol’ fat turd.

33. barn
    8:12 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

31–misconceptions? i think the lyrics of the music in general speaks for itself. no misconceptions there unless you’re ignorant of the english language or deaf

34. Rommy Layne Woodson aka. Buck
    8:15 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Has Mitch or Joker been fired yet?

35. Rap Music Sucks
    8:17 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Beat Machines have no soul!!!!!!

36. Old schools wife
    8:25 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Try living with this angry old loser with a superiority complex. Be thankful you only have to read his idiotic ramblings here…Alzheimer’s set in years ago so we make do. Almost feel sorry for the little wrinkly guy. He used to be a huge UK fan but his mind is now gone. RIP.

37. BCO
    8:36 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

So old school preaches about the moral atrocities of rap music while admitting he listens to DAC. Listen i like DAC (as well as some 90s rap) too but his music ain’t filled with messages telling kids to study hard and eat their veggies. You contradicted your entire argument.

38. Rick
    8:49 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

How do so many of you not realize that “old school” is likely some 20ish year old trolling the absolute hell out of this site? Don’t get me wrong, he’s very good at it, but still…

39. Unknown Fan
    8:52 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

#4 I 100% AGREE. Since when did drug culture,female insults and violence against the Police become a becon for UK Basketball? UK managed to hang SEVEN NC Banners without the aid of gangsters who encourage our youth to be would be crimonals??
    Most of these “rappers” promote a culture of foul language,pants around the ankles and prison life is glorified.
    What’s next on our campus? Line beards and sideways ball caps?? I thought that is what we all make fun of UL for?? NOW Uk is UL East??
    I for one am not encouraged by the team or our fans being used to promote this sick lifestyle.

40. Roger
    8:57 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Old School and Unknown Fan! Hell, let’s go a step farther and just outlaw music in general, cause it all deals with sex. And all musicians except for Taylor Swift are addicted to drugs. And Taylor Swift’s addicted to c*ck and making bad music, which is just as bad. If you want to play at UK, you shouldn’t listen to music or have any personality at all. I can’t wait until this fine country elects all conservative Republicans and we restrict all freedoms, especially the freedoms of them minorities and women, and maybe we can get our top Christian scientists to make us some basketball playing robots with GOOD MORALS

41. buckwild
    9:02 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Roger that.

42. CarolinaCatFan
    9:11 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Old school=Troll. He never comes on this site except for during basketball season and it’s only to bash Cal. If he really loves UK as much as he says, where has he been during all of this football mess? Don’t respond to him and he will go away. This is the last time I’ll ever utter his name again.

43. SexnNursinHomes
    9:16 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

folks, old school mentioned he is a fan of david alan coe. the same david alan coe who wrote old school’s favorite, “n****r f****r”. I can only imagine the “moral activities” seen in old school’s klu klux klan meetings.

44. FreeCreditScoreGuy
    9:25 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Where’s my UK Jersey?

45. Lonnieb
    9:36 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

@unknown fan………..

How can you say Drake and Jay Z are negative influences…..Jay Z is one of the richest people in the world and is a very good business man, and Drake is pretty much what I would call a mainstream radio rapper. Are you calling Jay Z and Drake gangsters? Crimonals?( I went with your spelling cause it looked better)

46. HaHa
    9:55 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Great retorts to old_school. C’mon old fella, keep commenting. you make great fodder. you are a sad old bird. we will all keep laughing at you.

47. Yesterdays
    10:10 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Joker Sucks, Sanders Blows. Mitch is a fool but Cal is making him look a little cool. #UkAthletics

48. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

Oldschool actually makes a few valid points that there are many in the black community who are trying to get their young men on a better path, away from drugs and disrespect for women and towards trying to live life the right way. Unfortunately, any useful part of the message gets lost behind his obvious agenda against Cal. The fact is that the majority of these kids come from a background where rap and hip hop is a part of the tapestry of their lives. When I was growing up I listened to rock & roll, and a lot of the bands had songs about, imagine that, drugs, drinking, chasing women, running from the cops, etc. True, the coaches at UK at the time never embraced rock & roll artists to attract recruits, but let’s face it, that was a different time. Even then, most of the athletes were probably listening to something other than R&R, and music was not nearly as omnipresent as it is today. Kids were not walking around everywhere with an IPOD in their pockets.

When Cal first came on the scene at UK, I was somewhat cynical, worried that he was a bit shady and looking for the quick score – I heard all the innuendo about shady dealings, and a lot of people were saying that he was going to be bringing in a bunch of thugs to play at Kentucky. Since that time, I have been won over by the things he DOES, and I am talking about countless fundraisers to help those less fortunate, along with his tireless promotion of UK. Yes, most of his players go pro early, but he is also encouraging those kids to come back to complete their educations while they are earning a paycheck, and he does keep up with his kids to try to keep them making the right decisions.

49. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

You know, speaking of charitable causes, it would be great if Cal could muster the troops for a quick goodwill mission in NYC, since they will be there for the Maryland game next week. Maybe they could get out there a day early, and get the kids to help with the cleanup effort or distributing necessities. Maybe a fundraiser or telethon. Imagine the goodwill that could be earned for UK along the east coast. Anyone listening? 🙂

50. KCK
    11:25 am November 4, 2012 Permalink

old_school is obviously the worst poster on the KSR comments section, and that in itself is saying a LOT.

51. FarmersKids
    12:15 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#25 Google Nasty Lyrics and set your daughter in front of your PC with the sound all the way up…..then wait for your wife to come in and beat you about the head and shoulders with an iron skillet for exposing your daughter to TRASH.
    Oh yeah, see if your Church Minister will play any of those songs in Church today.

52. classof68
    1:12 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal said in an interview with ESPN in 2009 that his favorite music artists was Abba. That tells me he’s got good taste in music. He’s promoting some of these “artists” because that is what kids like these days (don’t ask me why).

53. #48 Sums It Up
    2:31 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

well said. thank you.

54. old_school
    2:53 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#43 – I did not say I was a fan of David Alan Coe – I said UK fans would and SHOULD be up in arms if someone tried to make him (and if you will read – I referred to him as an Idiot) a face of the UK program

Reading comprehension is a valuable tool. Try using it.

As for the rest of you – some of you actually want to try to defend rap music as real art with social benefits. If you’d like to have that debate – I guess we could. I would imagine we’d meet on a stage and have the lyrics blown up on poster boards for all to see – and maybe if you were actually able to recognize and understand the words these ‘artists’ spout – you might have a hard time actually making your case.

My point is not to debate about the merits of rap music (if they even exist) but to insist that Calipari is doing the program, the university and the state a disservice by linking UK basketball with such sordid, immature, banal material.

Those of you older than 40 who disagree with me – I would suggest you stop trying to be ‘cool’ and act your age. Those of you in your 20s and think you know it all – let’s have a chat in a couple of decades when age, reason and maturity have sunk in – and we all look back at this chapter of UK history with an embarassed shake of the head.

55. MADARCHITECT
    2:54 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

When the KSR moderators delete posts, there should be a way that the numbers assigned to posts are not affected. Either a blank post should be by the number, or the number should be skipped entirely. This would avoid comments appearing to be intended for the wrong poster due to the deletion of posts and the shifting of numbers.

56. old_tool
    7:39 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Drop it old man. your tired, know-it-all attitude is a joke. You don’t understand much of anything, you’re old, cranky and obviously only post when you forget your meds. keep piping in with that superiority complex. Calipari is a great coach who is doing great things for the community, not just locally but at large. open your eyes, ditch the hate and educate yourself. or at least that haterade you drink everyday with some bourbon. it might take the edge off. you lose.