Pre-Vandy Thoughts – Brought To You By Cal And Co.

The toughest opponent at Vanderbilt doesn’t even wear a Jersey.

I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking, man, I really wish I could read what Calipari is thinking about this Vandy game on Saturday.  Fear not loyal readers, for I have that exact thing for you.

Coach Calipari

On if playing at Vanderbilt with the ‘end zone’ coaches’ box will be a challenge …

“I don’t think they listen to me much on the road, so I don’t think it really matters. But, I do know they will have to listen to each other. Maybe that will help them. Historically, our teams have always played better on the road because they were always supposed to win every game on the road, so when they went on the road, they loosened up a little bit and they played. With this team, part of it is that we haven’t played together. I tried to figure this out myself. Why do guys play so poorly at Florida, and then turn around and play so well against Tennessee? You know guys that stunk the gym up, and some of them gave up 30 points; so how do those guys come back? I think part of it is that they did it together, so that makes the game easier. If you try to play by yourself, the game is really hard. It’s hard on offense, you don’t get any space, guys are up in you, no one gives you an easy shot, and no one frees you. And on defense, it’s just you and that man. If he is a little better than you, or quicker, oh my goodness gracious, you are just looking to come out of the game. One of the things you do is foul to get you out of there. But if you are together, even a young man that is faster and quicker, you can guard him. And offensively, a guy is trying to smother you. That doesn’t matter. My teammate will get me something. That’s something that I come back too. Usually a crisis brings that around. The guys say ‘man we have to do that together’.”

On if this team is rebounding better …

“We will see. That’s an ongoing issue. The biggest thing is the rebound attempts against Tennessee and Florida are so glaring. Just attempting, listen to me… attempt. All we are asking is for you to attempt to get the ball. We had guys rebounding 25-30 percent of the time, and they were our three, our four, and our five. Think about what I just said. Now, this game, Tennessee, they were all in the eighties. That means a shot went up on offense. If I’m on offense, and I’m a three, four, or five I try to tip it in and go play. If it went up on defense, all five guys went to rebound the ball. Well now we have a chance to out-rebound the other team. Before, we didn’t even have a chance. So again, it is on them? No. That’s why I put those (rebounding) rims up. Every shot we take, none of them were going in. ‘Why didn’t you go after that rebound?’ ‘Because I thought it was going to go in.’ Unless you can get it through a pinhole, it’s not going in. There’s a rim in there. So, we are trying to get them to develop some different habits.”

On if he will watch the Vanderbilt game tonight …

“I will not. I was thinking about having the team over to watch. Maybe they will watch it over in Wildcat (Lodge). I usually just watch the tape. And the reason is I will try to get the remote and try to stop it, when it’s a real game, so I can’t do it.”

Darius Miller

On the setup at Vanderbilt …

“It is kind of different. As you all know, the setup is different and it is going to be a pretty tough environment and a tough crowd. We are trying to get mentally ready and hopefully we can come out and have a good practice today.”

On all the road games being close on the road …

“Yeah, that is true (they have been close), but we haven’t played a whole 40 minutes on the road. We feel like we haven’t played a whole 40 minutes through conference play, really. We have to work on coming out and playing the whole game and get prepared and ready.”

Deandre Liggins

On dealing with the different set up of the Vanderbilt gym …

“The coach gets away from us so it’s pretty weird because he has to yell from in the end zone. We just have to make sure we communicate on every call we make.”

On worrying about falling off the gym floor at Vanderbilt …

“It’d be weird to see someone fall off, but if I’ve got to do that to win the game then I’ll do it. I’m just trying to come out with a win.”

Article written by Will Lentz

21 Comments for Pre-Vandy Thoughts – Brought To You By Cal And Co.

1. David Jeff Cox
    6:09 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

PLEASE give Poole a chance. He can’t hurt anything, that’s for sure. He needs a chance to prove himself.

2. Big D
    6:16 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Our freshmen will have a new experience on Saturday at Vandy. I don’t know if any of them have played on a floor configuration like Vandy’s or not, so it could be interesting.

3. md
    6:17 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

todd mcshay’s most recent 2011 mock NFL draft has Randall cobb going 1st round 26th to the ravens

“The Ravens need speed at wide receiver, and Cobb is an underrated offensive weapon who would fit the bill. He’s a very savvy route-runner and can contribute in the return game. Baltimore also could look to fill needs at cornerback or defensive end.”

4. Capnmonkey
    6:22 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

It’s been said before, but worth saying again.
    Liggins = warrior.
    Becoming one of my all time favorites.

5. Todd Packer
    6:30 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

#1–Stacy…be patient and keep working in practice, your time will come.

6. SexnNursinHomes
    6:35 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Cal and the team renewed their bond. They pinky-promised on that, and you don’t effin’ break pinky promises. Make it happen Cats.

7. Computer Blue
    6:47 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Cal needs a TiVo at home apparently so he can pause live TV.

8. Big D
    7:06 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

I’ll bet there is’nt a thousand people at the Georgia Tech vs. Florida State game. That place is empty.

9. RidgeRunner
    7:07 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

What a great time for Miller to step up for his game of the year.

10. Megan
    7:11 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

7 – or simply a DVR. What’s up with that anyway? Does he record to VHS?

11. Just saying
    7:14 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

WOW, he wont watch the game because he cant pause it?? I thought Wildcat Lodge had a state of the art film room, like including DVRs. And even if he couldnt pause it, seems like he’d like to watch it. Many people think Calipari comes into every game without a specific game plan, and instead says “here we are, see if you can beat it”. Statements like this make me wonder if those people arent correct

12. RidgeRunner
    7:17 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Prolly just me but I think sometimes like this…it’s just a figure of speech and not meant to be a literal factual statement.

13. simple....
    7:24 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

No way does Cal have ability to DVR a game. People are so literal. Picking apart a quote is meaningless.

14. RidgeRunner
    7:33 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

In post 12…I was just…umm……..ya know…….trying to umm…say….eh….oh hell nuthin’. Gonna go pee now. Excuse me. Continue on.

15. UKFAN
    7:36 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Shocker… Deandre will do anything to get the basketball. Turned in to a great player. And one of my favorites.

Lamb is 44th in the mock draft along with knight at 20th and jones at 6th. Lamb and knight are coming backk

16. NBA league pass
    7:53 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

15) I hope you’re right, but there is a lot of basketball left. Hard to say right now who is coming back. Remember Bledsoe and Orton last year? Who would have thought they were first rounders at this time last year?

17. Just saying
    7:53 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

I hope he’s just saying the benches wont matter. That arena SUCKS!

18. Ms.Kentucky
    7:57 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Liggins deserves respect- he’s a beast.

19. kyhank
    8:37 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Deandre has become such a beast on defence !! Hopson was haveing a meltdown

20. KYWineman
    11:50 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

#11 Can you read? He was talking about watching at home and said he usually just watches the tape.

21. billybob
    9:27 am February 11, 2011 Permalink

Cal should request them to put a coaching box on sideline. There is enough room for a bench if they wanted to. Also coachs should not be able to make the same sound as a whistle to communicate with players.Kentucky sports radio