Poythress out to prove he is more than potential

poythress

Alex Poythress was a projected NBA lottery pick and preseason All-SEC player before he ever stepped foot on a college basketball floor. Those lofty expectations are why most Kentucky fans call Poythress’ freshman season a huge disappointment, even though he averaged over 11 points and six rebounds per game.

Despite the underwhelming rookie year, Poythress still could’ve left for the NBA on potential alone and gone somewhere in the first round. But he chose to return to Kentucky instead, because he is more than potential, he says.

“[I want to] prove that I belong,” he said this afternoon when asked about his personal goals for 2013-14. “Prove I’m not just potential.”

Leaving Kentucky after one year, the way that year ended, would’ve left a bad taste in his mouth, he added.

“You can’t end your college career like that.”

Poythress knows how special next year’s team can be and he’s excited about facing the competition in practice and bettering himself as a player. He realizes it’ll be a fight for playing time but he’s ready to step up and he isn’t worried about the minutes.

“If you come to practice and work hard and compete, playing time will work itself out.”

That’s exactly what fans want to hear.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Poythress out to prove he is more than potential

1. Tyler W
    3:35 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

First!

2. Old Henry Man
    3:36 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

If Alex would just play hard and smarter, he could be heckva player, but if he doesn’t he will have a great seat to watch a Great team play.

3. Jud
    3:39 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Alex, you are going to have a great year.

4. SexnNursinHomes
    3:40 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Alex is going to make’em swallow they feet.

5. Ronald McDonald
    3:45 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m luvin it and the Archie comment. Hilarious!!!

6. Ronald McDonald
    3:47 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I wish Archie the best but his stock is dropping faster than Monica’s undergarments in the Oval Office.

7. whoa
    3:49 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

6) that woulda been hilarious like 15 years ago

8. Axe Cop
    3:51 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

1. This is you: http://youtu.be/ciG-Xs7mBwU

9. biff switters
    3:54 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Another great reason to be excited for November…or hell even the summer evening sessions once all those boys…men hit campus and start hooping it up. There will be some great you tube videos. Even haters of Kentucky will have to bow their heads in respect to that team. I for one am really excited that Alex is working to adopt that mentality. He’ll be strong in a way that will hopefully provide resiliency if the team gets into trouble.

10. Justin
    3:54 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if Alex was taking a bit of a shot at Archie with the added comment, “You can’t end your college career like that.” I wish Archie well but realistically can’t see anyone taking him in the first round.

11. Breath Of Fresh Air
    3:56 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

“You can’t end your college career like that.”

Glad to see that Alex agrees that he sucked something fierce as a freshman.

What’d he show up for in total… 2 halves (in 2 different games) the whole season???

Let’s aim for 1 whole game now.

12. Sam
    3:58 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

In all seriousness, a great season for Alex next year will be 15-18 min a game, and averages of 6 rebounds and 9 points, while shooting 55% from the field, incl mid 40% from treyville.

If he can do 9 points and 6 rebounds in 15-18 minutes, that will be a fantastic year.

And we’ll need him to play some tough D.

13. HeSaidWhat
    3:59 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

He’s a young kid who played pretty dang decent for a freshmen…he’ll figure it out or he’ll be watching from the bench. I don’t need to hear this from him, show me…show the BBN! Actions, not words speak of your commitment and desires…actions.

14. Jack Nicklaus
    3:59 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

He better bring it next year or he is going to be watching the game from the bench. As soon as he starts watching/loafing….yank him…only way to get his attention.

15. Boogie
    4:00 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather have Alex Poythress at 100% over Andrew Wiggins. Poythress has 40 pounds on the kid, can rebound better, I think poythress can shoot better but that could be argued. Wiggins can’t play in the paint with those little shoulders and his 190 pound frame. And wiggins talks weird

16. Ridge Runner
    4:03 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Atta boy, Alex! I hear ya my man.

I just think he had a typical freshman year in a lot of ways. Deer int he headlight, who is on first kinda thing. All our experience (much of it) has been with freshman who played “not like freshman” over the years and it spoils us. He’ll be fine and especially since he won’t be relied upon as much as he was last year.

17. Ridge Runner
    4:04 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

15, umm put down what ya are drinkin’

18. Boogie
    4:07 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

@17….there is more to the game then what you see on hoopmixtape kid

19. bung
    4:11 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

I hope Alex and the other guys can help Hood lead us to 9 time…

20. Michael F. Jox
    4:12 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

After the whole, “lions don’t always roar” comment he made before last yr, I think I’ll wait to see if he actually means this.

21. classof68
    4:12 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

16. (Ridge Runner): I think you hit the nail on the head. Typical freshman who might have been a little overwhelmed his first year at UK (like I was). It sounds like he has the right attitude, which I wasn’t really sure of until he said he was coming back. He can be special next year.

22. Ridge Runner
    4:12 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

18, that is a given for sure. Still, I don’t see taking AP over Wiggins. Remember, we haven’t see either play the way they are/were projected. Therefore, I’ll take the higher projection easily. Wiggins is not just higher projected but in many peoples minds one of the very few that has come out of high school with this much potential in a very long time.

23. Random
    4:15 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

#11 Yeah, I’m sure 95 percent of the teams in the NCAA wouldn’t love for their freshmen to average 11 and 6. He underachieved, that’s for sure, but he didn’t suck.

24. shannon
    4:15 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Thats the right attitude Alex I expect a great year from you.

25. Bulldawg
    4:18 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins comes to UK, I guarantee you Wiggins would start before Poythress. I would also include Randle in that statement too. What is “Alex 100%?” I saw him play a full season this past year and I would not trade his best game for what Wiggins’ best game will be next year. I also bet that Wiggins will have several games that will be more productive than Poythress’. I hope Poythress does well but broad shoulders does not a great player make. To say you’d rather have Poythress over Wiggins just shows how much you should learn about the game. Here’s a hint: speed kills. I hope AP does well next year. Especially if Wiggins does not come to UK. However, if Wiggins goes to UK, Poythress may get lost in the shuffle… GO CATS!!!

26. Chicago Chris
    4:18 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

Short of Wiggins and maybe Randle, I think AP can be as valuable as any other player we’ll have. Any of the current recruits could go through the same issues he had, you just don’t know. The difference is he realizes he’s got to work for it now and he’s a year wiser. No way AP takes anything for granted now. I will be rooting for him the most, just after Wiltjer.

27. Boogie
    4:30 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

@22…Potential is the key word there. Wiggins can jump and run with NBA players but that doesn’t make you the next Lebron James. Andrew Wiggins hasn’t proved anything. And I wouldn’t just “go with who’s ranked higher” without thinking for yourself. Josh Selby, Michael Beasley, Byron Mullins, Chase Buddinger were all players with potential through the roof…where are they now? If Alex Poythress learns the flow of the game and gives it 100% every possession why wouldn’t he be better than wiggins?

28. Jackson Purchase
    4:46 pm April 22, 2013 Permalink

AP going against Julius Randle in practice would be worth paying to watch.

29. Cat89
    9:43 am April 23, 2013 Permalink

All of his quotes are encouraging to hear. That is the way winners speak. Knowing deep down that you are better than your performance is no big deal for those who coast through life, but for winners it’s hard to live with. Finally if you are intimidated by the thought of going up against top talent in practice at UK how confident are you in your ability to compete for playing time in the NBA. Because if it’s just about a paycheck it won’t take long at all for the GM to figure that out and you’ll be begging for work in Europe.