Some Notes from the game today….
(1) It was clear after the game that Billy Clyde was happy with the team’s effort. He said that virtually all the mistakes were “sins of commission, not omission” and that he thinks they all can be fixed as the season goes along. He was pleased with the effort throughout the game and even noted that he thought this was Perry Stevenson’s “best game of the year.” 8 minutes and 5 fouls, but Coach was pleased with the effort. He also noted that there was no specific reason that Alex Legion did not play, but simply that “those who earn it, get it.”
(2) Ramel Bradley noted that he made a “boneheaded” mistake that kept him from starting the game. “As a senior and a leader, I cant do things like that and it wont happen again.” No word on what “it” is. He also got popped really good in the mouth and had a number of stitches, while spitting blood a bit during the postgame interview.
(3) Crowd was great tonight. Very early arriving and people really wanted to have something to cheer about. Very rarely do you see a UK crowd give a standing ovation to a Kentucky team that is losing at halftime, and today we saw that. We also saw a crowd that gave multiple ovations for effort. Having said that, the substitution pattern frustrated folks obviously. There was a mid-second half chant for “Alex Legion” and then we saw his entry a couple of minutes later. The Turkey Hunter then texted me “if we chant for Bill Keightley, will he check in?”
(4) Roy Williams was high on his praise for Patrick Patterson. “He’s gonna make a lot of Kentucky fans happy for a long time.” He called Patrick a “quality young man” who “plays hard on all plays.” High praise from Coach Roy. Williams also said that he hopes the contract with UK continues and he “thinks it will.”
(5) Got to sit and watch some of the game with Derrick Hord, Doug Barnes and Kyle Macy. Always good to hear guys who really know the game chat about it. Combine that with the fact that I got to see Ryan Lemond with a new post-WTVQ goatee, and it was quite a day.
More stuff later…….