Post-Scrimmage Saturday Notes

ScrimmageGram

The football Cats just finished up a scrimmage two weeks before the season opener against Western Kentucky, and we have just a few things to learn:

-JoJo Kemp and the 1st string offensive line are early standouts according to Neal Brown

-Several guys (Brown, McWilson, etc.) combined for four interceptions, which is a strong sign for an otherwise weak secondary

-While the interceptions were good for the Corner Corps, it doesn’t bode well for the quarterbacks who still seem to be in tight competition

-Still no final word on the QB race, but Kyle Tucker of the Courier Journal thinks it’s down to Max Smith and Jalen Whitlow.  No surprises there

STOOPS QUOTE (via KyForward)

Really today, I’d say the defense had the upper hand. The defense had the better day, had some critical turnovers. The offense did some really good things, had some really good drives early, and I believe we got one in or so and then a couple field goals. Maybe two scores in early there. But overall, the defense got some good pressure, got some good turnovers and once we got in all the situational parts of the scrimmage, the defense had the upper hand (today).

Is the uncertainty at quarterback a tool that the coaching staff is using against Western?

I’m not sure. We’re gonna sit down here today and we’ll go through it as a staff and see where we’re at. And if we make any decisions, we’ll let you know. But we’re gonna work through some of that for sure this week.

Anybody catch Stoops’ eye on defense?

I think the offense, we had some missed tackles and we had some big plays early, and that was very alarming. And then we started settling in and playing good team defense. Because if you have a bunch of guys in the right position and you’re making them execute, you can make it a lot more difficult on the offense. I think that’s what I noticed as the scrimmage went on. Guys were where they’re supposed to be. We were a little bit more solid up front. We were making cleaner tackles. And the defense was staying on the right side of the chains. Early, they were getting five, six or breaking a big run and (the defense) started to settle in a little bit as the scrimmage went on.

Is the team starting to play with Stoops’ personality?

I don’t know about that. I think they care. I want us to play with more of an attitude, and more of a care-free attitude. I mean if we’re going to make a mistake, make it going fast. And we’ve got to play with some confidence, and we’ve got to let it rip. And we’re not overreaching them that way. I can promise you that. We’re ready for it, and we’re just seeing some guys that are a little bit timid, a little bit quiet and we need them to play with more of an attitude and play with more confidence.

Best part of Stoops’ press conference?  His opinion on playing literally half of the Top Ten: “Like I said before, that’s five great opportunities. (Laughs)”

Article written by Corey Nichols

24 Comments for Post-Scrimmage Saturday Notes

1. Andy
    4:02 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

My gut says Towles for qb. Ok let me have it.

2. Jose Villarreal
    4:17 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I agree. Towels has the most upside

3. ajp40505
    4:30 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

According to several ex-players who have watched practice, Towles is the least impressive of the 4. The guy who is coming on strong is Reese Phillips. Whitlow will be the starter.

4. surprise, surprise, surprise
    4:30 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Damn Andy, for the first time you may be right.

5. Andy
    4:35 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I still have a feeling Towles cloud sneak up in the qb race. Never say never!!

6. hmmm
    4:47 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

5 -Get real buddy. No way its Towles. He is the least mentioned.of all qb’s. I am suprised he has not come close since he played a similar system in high school. At this point Jalen may have the upper hand.

7. Chas
    4:55 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Towels will transfer……

8. Oh boy!
    5:01 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Our own “ok” defense is giving a tough time to our offense…we are going to have a long season…

9. Don't over-react
    5:38 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

..#8: Defense IS usually ahead of offense this early, and particularly so with an entire offense change. #1: You’re right. This whole documented display of quarterback skill has been a ruse since December. The “in” media and the former players are all in on it. Damn, you’ve outwitted them and their tricks!

10. UKats1996
    5:48 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

As much as Kentucky fans won’t like it, I think the whoever wins the QB competition needs to be kept under wraps for the Western game, because it will make it much harder for the Western D to prepare for multiple style QBs when not knowing who will start.

11. Good grief!
    6:21 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Look guys WKU knows as well as we do Whitlow is the starter so there is no secret! Towles won’t see any action unless we are ahead by a huge margin or injuries force them to play him. The worst thing you can be or have in Brown’s system is slow feet and slow hands and the coaches have alluded to his being slower than they want in those areas!

I hate it for a KY kid, but that is the way it is!

12. QBs
    6:23 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, why can’t we try playing all 3 QBs depending on the in-game requirement and make use of their strengths collectively? Do we need only one starter for our bleak offensive unit?

13. JeffCesarone
    6:42 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Come on down to Bowling Green Towles if blue isn’t for you! Really, he does have the largest upside of the three. Why not try him out the first game too.

14. JeffCesarone
    7:07 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, if Towles isn’t for this system then won’t the coaches share that with him and help him get to another program where his strong arm can be taken advantage of?

15. True Blue
    7:28 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Lets not forget Towles was the 4 star here. Kid has an arm and looks like more of an SEC athlete than all of them IN PERSON. It shouldn’t be given away to Mr. Petrino down the road here and I have foregone saying a word until now. I don’t think they can stop us so I am no longer worried. The SEC will know by then regardless. Towles will start, write that down.

Go CATS!

16. Bigboyblue
    8:15 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see the kid get full time reps without the worry of being pulled at the first mistake. His arm can’t be underestimated.

17. TopoftheHill
    8:20 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

It doesn’t matter who starts, they are going to get their head knocked of in Nashville!

18. TopoftheHill
    8:21 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

Knocked Right Off!!

19. LexJim
    8:46 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

My only question is why did you lead with a picture of Commonwealth Stadium from the Vanderbilt game?

20. MtnCat
    9:02 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#17 go back to sleep and dream some more

21. Write it right
    9:14 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

#15 Towles the typical KY HS quarterback playing on a really good KY HS team that allowed him to have inflated #’s. who cares if you have an arm if you can’t read your progressions and adjust to the speed of the game. Towles should redshirt or transfer. He won’t play unless the 2 soph’s ahead of him are hurt, and even then it sounds like Reese Phillips is 3rd string.

22. Joe
    9:57 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know sports, but everyone I hear and everyone I read says, “Whitlow has been the most impressive.” And to echo others here, I haven’t heard anyone say that of Towles. So UNLESS there IS a giant ruse underway, involving Dick Gabriel, former players and the like…I don’t think Towles is in the mix right now.

Because football teams aren’t machines and people aren’t interchangeable cogs. You develop packages and the team develops a rhythm with a certain QB. And you can’t just substitute one for the other….IF you are talking aobut within a game.

Sure conceivably, you might use a week and run one QB, I guess, who has a certain skill set you need against a specific opponent, but other than that, No you can’t just give each QB 33% of the rep’s and expect the offense to operate smoothly.

The Line, the Runners, the Receivers, they get used to a certain style and chemistry, as it were, and you have to let that develop…you have A QB, and his back-up. You don’t ahve three QB’s, it just won’t “gel.”

And I’m thinking, but I’m an idiot about sports, that Towles WILL xsfer, after this year, if he doesn’t play much. He was highly rated and why hang around as QB #3, Whitlow, Phillips, Towles, possibly, when you might find a program more to your liking that can use your talents?

23. suddensam
    11:37 am August 18, 2013 Permalink

Is that photo from one of last year’s home games?jk

24. EmptyHeadsandStadium
    5:05 pm August 18, 2013 Permalink

Is that what the stadium is going to look like after halftime on 9/14?