Post Game With Matt Jones

Hi, I’m Matt Jones.  You may know me from a certain UK website…

That was a painful end to a game, but you know what’s not as painful?  Listening to Matt Jones do the post game call in show.  You can listen to it on WHAS 840 AM if you’re in Louisville, or you can stream it online here.  Matt promised to make it fun, even if the second half of the game wasn’t.  Go ahead and give him a call, talk about UK football getting a win over Alabama, whether Larry Brown was a curse or blessing, or if Matt had any more awkward interactions with Ashley Judd this time around.  Give it a listen.

Article written by Will Lentz

32 Comments for Post Game With Matt Jones

1. Nice...
    7:08 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

Wow, looking at ESPN it would seem that every top team lost today. Ohio State is still playing, but UConn, Nova, Syracuse, BYU, TA&M, Wisconsin lost and Florida lost, all to unranked or lower ranked teams. Hopefully Ohio State loses aswell.

2. tombanjo
    7:08 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

you gonna act all howard stern?

3. Creed Bratton
    7:12 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

AAAGGHHUU. Flounder from Animal House?

4. TampaCat
    7:16 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

AAAGGHHUU, Pee Wee, as in Herman is more like it!

5. SEC SUCKS
    7:16 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

1)WRONT!!! You said “Top teams” lost… FLORIDA is NOT a top team… THEY SUCK just like the SEC SUCKS…Kentucky needs to get out of this JV league and join the BIG BEAST with the BIG BOYSS!!! DId SC REALLY lose to AUBURN TODAY??? OMG!!!!!!!!!

6. SEC SUCKS
    7:17 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

THAT WOULD BE W-R-O-N-G!! (not wront!! hahaahaa)

7. BlueMike
    7:23 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

5) Wrong. Kentucky does NOT need to get out of the SEC and join the big boys. The other SEC teams need to step it up. We’re here to stay bitches!

8. LexCat01
    7:24 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

Cal is a great recruiter and can motivate very well. But a good bench coach he aint.

9. Catsicle
    7:26 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

I know I am, but what r you?

10. Voters for coach of the year
    7:27 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

You jaw the best coach today at Storrs arena where the #5 team got beat at home by a “talent-challenged” Louisville team. THAT’S CALL COACHING BOYS AND GIRLS!!!! Nice win by the CARDINAL RED today!

11. Johnny Boy
    7:27 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

NCAA infractions because of Brown coaching up our practices? Is that possible?
    NCAA infractions = Just Cal being Cal.

12. LexCat01
    7:30 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

The UofL game appears to be our best win.

13. El_Duderino
    7:43 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

I love it, UK Fans declare “Cal” the worst bench coach and UofL Fans declare “Quick Rick” the Coach of the Year. Yet, Coach “Cal” owned Coach “Quick Rick” inside the Chix’n Box!

14. random
    7:44 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

I think Notre Dame was they just beat #2 Pitt this week.

15. Mr Schwump
    7:45 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

11, wrong jock breath. Go latch onto Tipton’s balls when he comes out of his AA meeting.

16. Goode
    7:48 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

Wow…ul fans are in full force tonight!

Uk played great 1st half and weak second half. Lot of missed open shots 2nd half, but overall good game. Uk is a really good team and come tourney time will be a team u dont want to see. Shoot, defend and rebound well.

Call me crazy but this team has great potential. Thinl about this…knight below ave. And jones below ave. And we still won easily.

17. test
    7:56 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

test

18. Calizone
    7:58 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

Can someone tell me where the hell ESPN found Jimmy Dykes? This guy sucks so bad. Just a couple of gaffs that made me spit my beer out..When speaking of Lamb, who is the leading 3 point shooter in the league, Dykes says, “He can shoot JUST good enough from beyond the line that defenses have to challenge him”, another fav was when KY was up by 16, Dykes says “If Georgia can keep this lead below 10, they have to feel pretty good about themselves”. And then my favorite was when Lamb was at the freethrow stripe, Dykes predicts that Lamb will look at and concentrate on the Rim while he shoots,,,as opposed to looking at his freaking shoes I suppose??

19. Davefromthegap
    8:03 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

#18 I liked the one where he said “There’s only 25 seconds left on the shot clock and KY is just now getting into their zone offense,,they’ll need to address that” LOL,,,Then with like 20 some seconds left when the foul was called on Darius and the idiots thought it should have been a shooting foul, Fox called a T.O. for which Dykes claimed was more to chew on the refs than to talk to his kids. When the conversation between Fox and Refs didn’t happen, Dykes said it was because the Refs were stearing clear of him, then the Camera pans out anda Stripe was standing not 10 feet from the GA Huddle,,,LOL F**king hilarious,,,,,,,

20. tony_00_delk
    8:13 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

seriously…. When you are up 15 at halftime the last thing you want to do is come out and rush through your possessions… The only reason the game was close because we missed open shots and shot 60% from the line.. thats why you take 30 seconds off the clock every time down the floor… WE WON! Shut the hell up and enjoy it. Too many people out there think they should be the coach at UK… Well let me tell ya theres a reason Cal makes millions and you are watching the game on TV

21. kyeric
    8:13 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

18) I think Jimmy was talking about the *amount* of concentration Doron was using on shooting the basketball during free throws. My old coaches used to tell us there was a difference between “soft focusing” and really lazering in on a point on the rim. Believe it or not, it really does help with your shooting percentages. I kind of got that when he was talking about Lamb. Other than that, the “second mouse gets the cheese” crap makes me long more and more for Cawood.

22. The Truth
    8:14 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

If Cal keps refusing to play more than 6 players, we will have no shot at making a deep run in the NCAAT. He has to play the bench guys more. It’s easy to coach up a 5 star, burger boy. How bout developing guys like Poole and Hood?

23. Kemp's Gold Chains
    8:24 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

18- I like your points, 19-eh…not so much

24. UKJay
    8:30 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

22) Bingo!! You are 100% correct.

25. sspope1210
    8:40 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

where’d the link go? I’m now suffering through handel on the law…

26. KYBlue
    8:52 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

I’d push Vargas down a flight of steps to get big Enes eligible.

27. Ken in Middletown
    10:03 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

How ’bout Darius Miller!!! Until recently he never had back-to-back double figure games, and now he has 5 in a row!!! Will somebody wake up Jorts & tell him the season has a long way to go?

28. Ken in Middletown
    10:07 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

Oh, by the way, KUDOS to Deandre & Doron – both are playing way better than most expected!

29. jimmy
    11:52 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

gay looking lol

30. Steve
    12:11 am January 30, 2011 Permalink

One thing’s for sure. Matt is not going to age gracefully. When he’s 60, he is not going to look as good as Sean Connery.

31. CatSinceBirth
    8:02 am January 30, 2011 Permalink

If I were Cal, the next lesser opponent I have, I would sit Jones at the far end of the bench the entire game, and dare him to even think about getting up. This young man just has not excited me at all. I’ll take a three star player who will hustle his butt off, but make an occasional error, over a lazy, hard headed player who already thinks he’s NBA bound in a few months, any day of the week. You know at least a minimum of once per game you get will get a twenty seven foot set shot from him. He has a hard time getting a shot off on a 6’5″ guy. Not impressed with Mr. Jones at all. We’re dead in the water by the end of February. Yes, we will be completely worn down.

32. SanDiegoDave
    11:46 am January 30, 2011 Permalink

31: Excellent insight. I wholeheartedly agree that a solid 3-star player who doesn’t have the NBA in his sights after one year of college ball will contribute far more than the Coach Cal one-and-done players he recruits. I remember watching Tyler Handsbrough as a freshman and thinking, “That guy sucks ass!” However, he was a monster during his junior and senior seasons. The same goes for Kyle Singler. The dude can flat bring it. I deplore UNC and Duke as much as the next UK fan but I do recognize excellence when I see it. Granted, Cal has only been around for a year and a half but I don’t see him changing his style of recruiting. He will continue to recruit and sign the top players every year but only a few of them will be around as upperclassmen. Unfortunately, those who do stick around will be underachievers sitting on the bench watching the next top five freshmen in the country.