Point/Counter-Point: Three Reasons Kentucky WILL Stay in the SEC

Rashawn raised some interesting points yesterday in his post about why the Big Ten is a better fit for Kentucky than the SEC.  I’d honestly never considered it before, assuming the most natural “What If?” conference was the ACC.  After all, they’re full of schools whose basketball teams are more popular than their football teams (see: the entire state of North Carolina).

But in considering the Big Ten, Rashawn brought up some issues that were pretty good.  The basketball matchups do seem tempting, and the tradition in the B1G is nothing to sniff at.  True, their football divisions are called “Legends” and “Leaders,” which is simultaneously lame and narcissistic, but I’m willing to ignore that part.  The Big Ten would be a great conference for any school, especially one like Kentucky.

That said, I don’t think there’s any way Kentucky EVER leaves the SEC.  I spent a lot of time thinking of the three most convincing reasons, and have put them after the jump.

Checkmate, Franklin.

Article written by Corey Nichols

34 Comments for Point/Counter-Point: Three Reasons Kentucky WILL Stay in the SEC

1. KyKiller
    9:03 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

LOL AWESOME

2. toodaloo
    9:05 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

best point

3. UK
    9:05 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

This is exactly right…..

4. Big Blue 66
    9:08 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

first off, its a ridiculous subject to even think that a charter member of arguably the most profitable and strongest conference would ever leave it, second, where are the smokin hot pair of chicks I think from MS State?

5. Sally O
    9:18 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

No matter where/if we go, Kentucky has the best girls and always will.

6. beepthacreep
    9:19 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

I my self would be all for a move to either the acc or the big 10, KENTUCKY is the only school that takes basketball serious, and lets face it we will never be better than 4-4 in football and 4-4 goes down as a great great year, go to the big 10 and form a basketball gaint and atleast have a slight shot to win 8 or 9 games a year in football, heck playin ohio st and mich and nebraska aint so bad

7. CatsFanInKnoxville
    9:20 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

The tool tips on mouse hover over the images are great!

8. Hawkeye Tim
    9:22 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

#6…8 or 9 wins in the Big Ten…I think you underestimate how bad UK football is.

9. tyson
    9:25 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Corey, by far your best post. Maybe the haters will cut you a break now.

10. Corey Nichols
    9:29 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

7 – I was hoping somebody would notice those. Good eye.

11. Al's IndiCats
    9:29 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

We’d still be in the same boat in the B10, 11 12, whatever they’re number is as we are now in football in the SEC. Unless Joker pulls out all stops this season I’m afraid we’ll still stay the same. I’m UK through and through. I’ll root for the chess team if they have one, but football isn’t our Forte’. Go CATS!!!

12. 007
    9:30 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

SEC = $$$$

Mitch = All he cares about

13. Bradley
    9:37 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

How about a post on whether the sun will burn your finger or not if you touch it?

14. Corey Nichols
    9:41 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

13- It probably would. I’m no scientist, but that’d be my professional advice.

15. Cliver
    9:44 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Or the smokin’ hot pair of blondes from Georgia!

16. ktmiln2
    9:44 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Excellent. I’d game her… nevermindgross.

17. Smiffanator
    9:46 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

I’d chomp her gator if you know what I mean!! haha

18. I'm not a scientist, but I play one on TV
    9:54 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

The Sun’s outer visible layer is called the photosphere and has a temperature of 6,000°C (11,000°F). Skin will burn at approximately 130 °F, depending on the person, and will ignite at 480 °F. Therefore, yes, you WILL burn your finger if you touch the sun.

Did you know that just one cow gives off enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 liter bottles?

19. manbearpig
    9:54 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Corey where do you want your internetz.delivered to?

20. SuperTroy
    9:55 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Classic. 🙂 Amen!!

21. doubting thomas
    9:57 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Yes corey. good post. Wish we had chics like the first two. Third looks like our typical uk chic pics though.

22. UKIT
    10:01 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

What, this crappy topic again?

How about:

Should UK join the MAC?
    Should UK drop down and play high school football, 6A of course.
    Should UK drop football all together?
    Should UK pay Russia to send Joker to the moon?
    Should the Board of Trustees fire Mitch and Joker, and bring in an AD that can do 2 things at once – have good football and basketball?

A couple of those topics were honest ideas, you figure out which ones…

23. BlueCatDixiecrat
    10:04 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Once again, swill has entered an otherwise praiseworthy fansite. Somehow I am not surprised Corey couldn’t post any pictures of hot Kentucky chicks– not because they don’t exist, mind you, but because Corey has never encountered one. And if he ever summoned the courage to approach an attractive female in the first place, he would undoutedly choke on an obscure movie reference or crack a feeble “I write for KSR”. Let’s be honest, it’s not like the Big 10 doesn’t have its share of attractive ladies.

24. JIMMIEUKFAN
    10:08 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Two blondes and a brunette? Couldn’t win the Triple Crown with a redhead from Arkansas?

25. Tools
    10:23 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

#23 he was saying why we wouldn’t leave the sec. That’s why the pics of from the other schools. I know this may be hard to comprehend but te uk girls would look the same no matter sec or B10. You may go back to being a tool now.

26. Cokely
    10:32 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

The two biggest reasons to never leave the SEC is through all this conference realignment stuff the only conference not to be named as possibly folding was the SEC because of
    Football and the money. As long as we continue to pull our weight in basketball and Vandy keeps its grades up the SEC is glad to have us and use the football teams as bye weeks for the top teir football schools. Maybe even a Cinderella story once every ten years like with Woodson and crew

27. BNolan
    10:44 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

It would and should never happen. The only positive I could ever find in it, would be that I could more easily travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, Illinois, and Iowa City to catch the Cats play in person. But, I like seeing UK in the SEC. Why settle for playing in the Big Ten, when you can play in the SEC anyway? Besides, I may live in the North (now). But, I will always be a Kentucky Southerner at heart.

28. BillDozer
    10:49 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Rashawn even trying to talk about a move to the Big Ten is absurd and is nothing more than the result of a blogger trying to fill space in the sports day and offseason.

Shame on you Rashawn…shame on you.

29. Greg
    11:01 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Why are we even talking about this? UK has no reason to leave the SEC. SO what if they don’t have the best football team? Moving to the Big10 won’t make UK any better of a football. And you can’t say that SEC basketball is that bad either. We all know about UK’s team, but does anyone look to see how the rest of the SEC is doing? They sent 4 teams to the NCAA turny this past year and that is not including Mizzo that will join this year. Florida was one step away from playing UK for a third time in the Final Four. SO if you look at the SEC in a whole, there is no way you can say they have no basketball. Not to mention that the first 3 picks in the NBA draft came from the SEC. Really, why SHOULD UK ever feel the need to leave?

30. Corey Nichols
    11:07 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

28 – Rashawn was only trying to begin discussion, and did just that. Rest assured, he doesnt want UK to leave either.

31. FlySoup
    12:05 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

29. If Florida made it passed the cardinals in the elite 8, it would have been the 4th time we played them last year.

32. SleepieAce
    12:51 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

That made me laugh a lot. Well done.

33. HicksPickSix
    1:31 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Less writing; more pictures. Live and blog by this motto, Corey. Good post today.

34. Viren
    1:53 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

SEC football has won six straight BCS Championships and SEC basketball has won three NCAA Championships in the last seven years. Someone please tell me when BIG won anything in those two respective sports.