Pitino: “The greatest move I ever made was leaving Kentucky”

Rick Pitino’s had a good year. He won a National Championship, got a tattoo, and has generally been living it up ever since. And while you have to congratulate Pitino on his accomplishments, Kentucky fans’ feelings towards Rick will always be a little bit complicated. Pitino brought UK back from the brink of collapse, restored its elite status and at the peak of it all, left to coach the Boston Celtics, only to return to the college ranks to coach his former school’s arch enemy.

In the past, Rick has said that leaving Kentucky was “the biggest mistake” he’s made in his life. Now, it’s the “greatest move” he’s ever made.

In a speech at the Mid-South ACG Capital Connection in Louisville last Friday, Pitino says that leaving Kentucky ended up being the greatest thing he’s ever done because it led to a failure in Boston, which ultimately taught him humility:

“People always ask me the question ‘Do you regret leaving Kentucky? If you didn’t leave, you’d have a thousand wins today.’ I say, ‘No, the greatest move I ever made was leaving Kentucky.’ The second greatest move I ever made was failing in Boston, because if I didn’t go through those two experiences, I wouldn’t have gained humility.”

My, how a national championship changes everything.

[Rick Pitino talks about regrets, failures, secrets to success (Video)]

H/t to Anthony Wireman

84 Comments for Pitino: “The greatest move I ever made was leaving Kentucky”

1. BobKYCats
    3:12 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

All that humility gained, yet he’s still a d**k.

2. Hypocrisy
    3:12 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Nothing like having two polar, directly conflicting quotes on the same subject within a short span of time.

That’s what’s known as talking out of your arse.

3. Rei
    3:14 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

only took 14 years or so to win a title

4. Austin
    3:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

In News from the future… “Those 15 seconds with Karen Sypher were the best thing to ever happen to me. While I learned all the humility one man could ever hope for in my failures in the NBA, those 15 seconds and the ensuing fallout were the best thing that ever happened to me. Except leaving Kentucky. Or failing at Boston. Or that panini I had for lunch. That panini was definitely the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

5. Dickie Z
    3:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

He’s lost his marbles – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhjILbVQ8A

6. Martin
    3:16 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Humblebrag… so if he had stayed at Kentucky he wouldn’t have gained humility, because why? He would have won a lot more?

7. TimeFor9
    3:16 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

So basically he’s saying he needed to be a loser in order to be humble, otherwise he’d be more successful but not humble. Okay, good for you Rick.

8. Really?
    3:17 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Was it failing at Boston that taught him humility? Really? If he was humble after that failure, then what explain an affair with a woman at an Italian restaurant, and all that followed?

This speaks volumes to MEGA egotism…..He is only saying this because he has finally won a National Championship.

9. RuppWorker
    3:21 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

The greatest thing you have ever done can also be the biggest mistake you have ever made, and I know that from experience. I am getting real tired of these kind of posts. Who cares what anybody has to say especially if they are talking about their own lives. Why do most Kentucky fans feel like they need to be respected by everyone and if they are not then we are going to go cry about it. What is with you guys? Seriously?

10. UKfan
    3:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Karen Sypher must rank 3rd. If that didn’t teach him humility, nothing would.

11. BackdoorSlider.com
    3:23 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Let’s ask Joanne how humble this sack of monkey turds is. Dick Pitino is right up there in my book with Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds and Bill Clinton. People just don’t want to be lied to! We are a forgiving bunch if you actually do show some humility and class. This fool needs to burn and Louisville deserves this disgrace of a human being!

12. Dear Cranky
    3:24 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

9 go somewhere else if you don’t like it here. peace out, you won’t be missed.

13. Why?
    3:25 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Why is his name still in the rafters of Rupp Arena? Why, why, why

14. Karen
    3:25 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

HA! Taught him humility, but it sure didn’t teach him a thing about INFIDELITY!!! What a A$$! Agree totally with #1.

15. Larry
    3:25 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m so over this. He’s just playing to the crowd. Just get over it people. He deserves the recognition that he gets. He’s one of greatest coaches in the college game and so is Cal.

16. jpgott2
    3:26 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

9., what are you talking about? This is a former UK coach. He has ties to UK so UK fans might have an opinion on comments as these. He has made comments that contradict these, which is why it is a topic for discussion.

Take a breath and chill……

17. PhilUK18
    3:27 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Very, very dumb comment and I can guarantee you even he doesn’t believe this garbage. I worry for his health though, with comments this inane it seems he may be losing his faculties.

18. abwoodone
    3:27 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

TAKE HIS BANNER DOWN!!! If it was his greatest move leaving then FBCEBUK can have it back!!!

19. What The
    3:27 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

9 – if the greatest thing you’ve ever done is your biggest mistake, you should do something else great. or wait…should you do something else great bc it could also be your biggest mistake. That’s stupid.

20. backdoorSlider.com
    3:28 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I blame it on the syphilis.

21. Logic
    3:28 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You generally aren’t humbled by making the greatest decision of your life; it’s typically mistakes that impart humility.

Alas, this is neither the first not last glaring contradiction from “too quick” Rick.

22. Billy Bob
    3:32 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I don’t remember asking for a Pitino update. Did you ask for a Pitino update?

23. TN Cat
    3:32 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Can we have a section just for recruiting news on here? When’s that new website design going to happen?

24. Jughead
    3:32 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Confirmed dirtbag.

25. Billy Bob
    3:33 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Why do we have a banner up for this piece of garbage, but don’t have one up for Tubby Smith?

26. The time has come
    3:38 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Take this fuggers jersey out of the rafters at Rupp. Good marketing idea- the home game this year vs. loserville have a lowering of this d/ck$ jersey to be removed from Rupp permanently.

27. dave
    3:40 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

hiring BTI is the biggest achievement of KSR #pitinologic

28. RuppWorker
    3:41 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Just like the post about the Louisville player saying our players need to worry about WKU and our fans blew up and acted as if we were being disrespected. Even though what he said was true our fans attacked but I am the one that needs to chill out? I have been on KSR from day one and it amazes me how much our fans have changed in the past 6 years. We act like we should be respected by all but show respect to none. You all can say what you want but its true.Pitino last coached our team 17 years ago will we ever move on? I am happy he left because you know what? We all should be humble as well because 5 years ago we were at the bottom, some of you guys forget that.

29. Rick Pitino
    3:41 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Shhhh…Don’t tell anybody, but the greatest move I ever made was paying for that abortion. Saves me a ton in child support. I’m cool with what I did, just wish I was out in time, and didn’t get caught.

30. Adam
    3:42 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Just change the name of the site to Pitino Sports Radio already and save everyone some time. We give UofL crap for being “obsessed” with UK but every week there is a new post about Pitino. Pathetic and embarrassing.

31. backdoorSlider.com
    3:44 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Minnesota is going to think after this season that Rick aborted the wrong kid.

32. Al/in/Indy
    3:44 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

This time next year he’ll be saying something else entirely different in front of future farmers of America, because with all that Bullsh!t they’ll be able to grow anything.

33. rabble rabble rabble
    3:49 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

can we FINALLY stop liking rick? seriously. what little goodwill i had towards the guy for pumping (pun intended) life back in the program in ’89 is now shriveled up and gone, like his lil ricky.

34. Hercules
    3:51 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I love it when someone projects like they have it all figured out. It’s when you figure it out that the game changes and Kentucky humbles you with a 30 point beating.

35. Hercules
    3:52 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Randle will take offense to pitinos superiority complex and crunch up his teams frontcourt

36. MustangCat
    3:54 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I guess it’s “HUMILITY” that leads a man to have multiple affairs on his wife and kids (and it IS on his kids as well as his wife!)? He could win 10 titles at UL and i would never want him back at the place we all, and he once called Camelot!! The man is an embarrassment, and he is in the perfect place for him now. They deserve each other. Obviously, in spite of all their success this year, they still don’t teach a class – on class – at UL.

37. bosshog
    3:59 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

The winners write and re-write the history-simple.

38. YeahRight
    4:00 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

30 Didn’t Pitino coach UK at some point? yes, a long time ago but it still makes him relevant to a UK site. No obsession, just a UK site posting stories on a former UK coach. Louisville fans coming here to even notice that we have an article about something Louisville-related is pathetic. I don’t know what they talk about on Card Chronicle and if they are talking about UK I will never know bc I don’t go there. Them coming here to worry about what we say should be embarrassing to them but they are too stupid to be embarrassed.

39. Cal's Publicist
    4:01 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I guess you could say he “Bounced Back”?!? ahhh…

40. AchillesUK
    4:07 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

what a sack of poop!

41. NotFirst
    4:10 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Please tell me Prick Rick doesn’t still have a banner with his name up in Rupp. If he does, can we take it down during halftime of the Louisville game, cut it up and sell the pieces on ebay for charity? Maybe one that helps single moms pay for health insurance…

42. Joe
    4:12 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You would think what he did to his wife and kids would have taught him humility! Oh, I forgot he’s full of —!

43. Bluegrass
    4:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You know what… F**K HIM!

I’m over this topic. He wants to be the enemy, then so be it.

Good Riddance you arrogant a**hole

44. RealCatsFan
    4:16 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

HaHa – that sure wasn’t the song he was singing after the Sypher affair blew up in his face and his team made a couple of first round exits from the NCAA tourney! Funny how success goes to his head so quickly.

45. Big Blue Coming At You
    4:17 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

This just goes to show just how big a piece of sh!t Rick Pitino really is. It wasn’t leaving Kentucky and failing at Boston that taught him humility. He hasn’t learned a damn thing. He’s the most egotistical, self serving person i’ve ever seen. When he’s down and out, he’ll praise Kentucky. When he’s winning, he’ll stab Kentucky in the back. Humility?? Yeah, right. Are you sure it wasn’t the skank banging scandal and losing year after year, Ricky?

Do UL fans want to give Pitino a lifetime contract now? Because before this season, UL fans wanted him gone because he failed to win a championship in 10 years.

46. dave d
    4:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

F. Pitino.

47. kadizkat
    4:29 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

What would Mr. Bill say about him now?

48. She's A Caawp!
    4:32 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

#28…I hear what you’re saying and I don’t totally disagree with you, but in this case I’m gonna have to be one of the fans you seem to detest so.

I’m not sure how Kentucky fans can still defend this guy. My best friend says “I can’t hate Pitino because I remember what he did for this program!” It’s true he brought UK from the bottom back to where it belongs, and I too respect and appreciate that. However, this is KENTUCKY! You can’t possibly tell me with a straight face that he is the only coach that could have done what he did, or would have been willing to take on the challenge of bringing one of the 5 best (if not the best) historically great schools back to the top. Every move Pitino has made since he failed in Boston has been a big EFF YOU to the fans that once considered him a step below a deity in the bluegrass, and this is just another example of why we should wish nothing but failure for him in everything he does.

49. gottodoit
    4:34 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, what does it take to remove his banner from Rupp Arena? I know I would love it and

I believe Mr. Wildcat would appreciate it.

I sympathize with #26. Have a removal ceremony at halftime of this year’s Louisville game at Rupp.

He wouldn’t dare come out of the locker room to accept the banner in person, of course, so, just drape the thing over his seat on the bench and leave it there.

Forgive me, but the guy is just too much for me to stomach.

50. facts
    4:35 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

The man in that video is a premature ejaculator…..why would I take his advice on anything?

51. J in Orlando
    4:36 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

If there is one lesson Ricky 3 Stacks has never learned its Humility…because of that fact his wallet, marriage, and health have all taken a huge hit. His massive ego has crippled many a promising NBA career at UL…its Rick first and always will be…thats why there are several of his former players struggling to make ends meet that wouldve been driving Bugattis had they played for a coach like Cal. Great for him he won a championship* after a decade and a half at UL, capitalizing on a year where every major program was down …all he has to show for it is an embarassing tat, countless STDs, and a loss of reputation equal to the rise in his ego.

52. classof68
    4:45 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who remembers MADKENTUCKY from the LHL discussion board knows he is turning in his grave and laughing at wicky pooh’s comments.

53. Right back at ya!
    4:50 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I say the best thing that happen to UK was Pitino left!! Otherwise we won’t have Cal!!!

54. UKBlue
    4:56 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, if Rick mouth moving you know he is LYING, and UL fans are dumb enough to believe everything he says !! UL fans, he’s using you & playing you !! If Rick having sex in a restaurant wasn’t bad enough; Rick has lied so much, how in the world does anyone believe him or have any credibility. Humility: Someone needs to take Rick to a psych Dr. because the guy has done lost his mind !! This year was Rick last hurrah; now we get to watch him totally lose his mind; this is going to be fun to watch.

55. Karen Sypher
    5:11 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Why you gonna leave me out, Ricky?

56. lil c
    5:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

WHY IS THIS MANS BANNER STILL HANGING IN A RUPP? HE WENT AND GOT A UL TAT! NOW HE’S STILL DISRESPECTING KENTUCKY!! TAKE HIS FREAKIN BANNER DOWN….NOW!!!!!!

57. Lamont
    5:25 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You can”t tell inbred trash that leaving was great

58. fireant
    5:35 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You mean he didn’t learn humility when he was spraying his seed all over the floor of that restaurant on Frankfort Avenue? Maybe his humility kicked in when he paid for an abortion because his seed found it’s way to the wrong place. Or could it have kicked in when he had to tell the world of his indiscretions? No I guess failing in Boston was a lot worse. Rick Pitino is garbage.

59. Issel's two front teeth
    5:37 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

#4 & #10, Karen Sypher gave him the one thing that he would need in Louisville, street credibility! Now he has the ink to go with it.
    He set the program back by leaving as much as Sutton did by illegal recruiting. Is Sutton’s banner in Rupp?

60. Denny Crums Lettuce
    5:47 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

26 has a great idea! Some real solid truth to that post!

61. Jughead
    5:48 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I hope he drowns in liquid fecal matter tonight.

62. Cal Chizik
    5:51 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Remove his jersey from the rafters now
    Ain’t no good no more

63. Simple
    5:56 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

What #8 said.

64. Bobhick
    5:59 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Rick WHO?????

65. Blueswade
    6:11 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

What a douche.
    Can’t believe I liked that guy at one time.
    They ought to move his banner to one of Rupp’s bathrooms…..hang it in one of the crapper stalls.

66. Steve
    6:21 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

This SOB has lied so much, to so many people, he couldn’t tell you where he she it last!!!!!!!

67. cm punk
    6:24 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Remove his banner NOW!! I hate this guy such a egomaniacal idiot! Please let us win by at least 30 in December. I want to embarrass this moron and the tards!

68. Chaz
    6:32 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Coach Pitino, this was your final farewell, It could have ended better.

69. hellcat
    6:38 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

ah-ah-ahchew… sorry krs readers. I’m allergic to quick ricks bullshit. Anyways, how do we know 15 seconds was quick for rick? For all we know it could have been a marathon fuk!

70. BigBlue
    6:47 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Rick speaks out of both sides of his mouth habitually.

71. UKGirl
    7:11 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

For him to even leave out that the worse humiliation in his life was when he murdered a baby just goes to show you what a douche bag he really is! Hey Rick, the greatest move you ever made was to leave UK…we’re soooo glad your gone!

72. No Doubt
    7:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I hope that aborted child is in Heaven thanking God every day that he/she didn’t have to live on Earth and be the child of this sorry sack of excrement!

73. BIGHEADDAN22
    7:23 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life watching this ridiculousness of what you call a “leadership speech.” He’s just adding fuel to the fire that will reign down on him next season when he steps in Rupp Arena! He might not regret leaving UK now, but for the past 16 years until the end of this terrible basketball season, he regretted it every day. Fans love him now but wait I’m next season and the team doesn’t do what they all think they will and he starts throwing players under the bus again, which is what he does best. Then see if he is so loved.

74. jj in florida
    7:58 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I went to school at uk when pitino was there. My roommate worked for coach pitino and was the godfather. He abused all of his employees then and my roommate was scared to death . One time he went crazy because I was watching practice from the windows at the old weight room! My roommate almost lost his internship because of me.

75. Old blue
    8:13 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Just proof that turds can talk.

76. Crean#1fan
    8:19 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to cuss him left and right, up and down in December at Rupp. I will by seat by the bench just to do that.

77. iamthebobcat
    8:37 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

The eyes don’t lie. Watch his eyes! This man is searching for inner peace. One hell of a coach – no one can ever dispute that.
    He who is whitout sin cast that first stone. All Rick is trying to do is find acceptance. Never had a father figure in his life – peace be with you Rick.

78. Money
    8:41 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Come on ppl, hes now the UofL coach. What does he suppose to say at a UofL event?? He gave us some great years and now hes gone. Let it go. Most of time he always talks good about UK.

79. Dick Pitino
    10:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

When did he become humble? In what way is he humble?

80. Ricky Bobby
    10:35 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Having to admit under oath that it only takes him 15 seconds to de-sypher all over himself is what taught him humility. It’s hard to keep your head too high after that…literally.

81. CatfanSir!
    2:42 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

Thats what happens after 15 seconds of fame :/.

82. Every Time
    7:50 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

Why are we always talking about what Louisville, Rick Pitino, Tom Jurich, or Charlie Strong are doing? Seriously. I’m a bit fed up with it.

83. chris
    11:38 am June 20, 2013 Permalink

why dosent he just be honest and say I’m glad I left UK because 95% of all UK fans are freaking idiots. Just look at the comments on this.

84. Chad Trotter
    3:00 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

I guess karen sypher was his third greatest move if that didnt teach him humility nothn will