Pitino: “If we can’t bring it back, I hope they do.”

It’s the biggest rivalry in college basketball; it’s also all about the Bluegrass.

We’re sitting in on Rick Pitino’s press conference right now and he just said he really wants to beat John Calipari and the Wildcats. That, we already knew. BUT, he also said, “If we can’t bring it back, I hope they do.”

Pitino said a National Championship will be good for the state of Kentucky. Of course, he wants his team to win it, but if that can’t happen, he wants to see UK raise the banner.

Is he trying to win us over again??

Article written by Drew Franklin

65 Comments for Pitino: “If we can’t bring it back, I hope they do.”

1. Wes
    2:09 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Wow. Suprised that came from him.

2. ktmiln2
    2:09 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

If UK wins the title and Pitino and Calipari become bff’s through the process, Disney would HAVE to make a movie about this

3. MyronPryorsLivingRoom
    2:10 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Nope. Once a babykiller, always a babykiller.

4. 00BBN00
    2:10 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

just a political move

5. strange brew
    2:12 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

BS meter just broke

Pitino – I love UK and won’t leave

Left for Boston

Pitino – I didn’t cheat on my wife

Admitted to being blackmailed for cheating on his wife

Pitino – Our goal is to win last 6 out of 10

Now he “knew” they would make the Final Four

Pitino – If we can’t win I would like to UK win it all.

I know exactly what to say when the camreas are rolling and the mic is on!

6. SECOnNotice
    2:13 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Maybe after we beat them, he’ll show up to the championship game wearing a UK shirt, a la Roy Williams 2008. How much would that piss off the cardinal fans?

7. Burned Bridges
    2:13 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

[email protected]&K Pitino!

8. Mudcreekmark
    2:15 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

If UofL beats us, who will everyone be pulling for in the championship?

9. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    2:17 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

@8 – Zombie apocalypse.

10. blueclue
    2:17 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Taking the high road, great spin but that’s all it is.

11. BobKYCats
    2:18 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

8: Whoever’s playing UofL.

12. Somervillain
    2:18 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I have no doubt that he still loves UK. He came to UofL in part because he loved this state. The shine is off and he is obviously a deeply flawed person, but I will always appreciate what he did for us when we really needed help. If the Cats don’t win it, I hope the Cards do. It’ll make the rivalry that much better. That said, I REALLY hope the Cats win.

13. Tim
    2:19 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I grew up in a kentucky home watching all the games and such. Grew up in the Pitino era. Man was he awesome. Loved him and was proud of the way everyone feared UK and talked highly of what a coach Pitino was. He doesn’t have to win me over. Sure it stung when he came back and coached UL but man did he right the ship that is Kentucky basketball. I hate to imagine where we could’ve been if it weren’t for Pitino. He made one of the dumbest decisions to coach the Tards but he was truly special here. I just hope that when he is done at UL people will give him the respect he deserves. Love what Pitino did, but now I hope we beat the tar out of his UL team because they are standing in our way. Some people need to pull a stick out of their ass and give him props because without him, there is nothing to talk about in reference to the UK glory day of the 90s.

14. TheTruth
    2:19 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

BBN, we owe Pitino an enormous debt of gratitude; always.
    He brought us back from oblivion.
    He gave us the best years (until now) of our Cats loving lives.
    He did what each of us would have done – take the best available opportunity for himself and his family; both in taking the Celts job and then taking the UofL job.
    We now have the best rivalry in sports and that’s in part due to Pitino.
    Having said all that, GO CATS, CRUSH CARDS!

15. Timbo
    2:20 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

What about the stupid inbred Kentucky fans, what if its reversed… would Calipari say if UK doesnt win it, he hopes they do? Would UK fans pull for UofL if they beat UK and go on to face Ohio State or Kansas? We just need a school from the state of Kentucky to win it… not states like Kansas or Ohio…

16. Blue Bayou
    2:21 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Yes, he is. I’m ok with it though.

17. Timbo
    2:25 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I touch myself at night.

18. AHHHH!!
    2:26 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

anyone know where to watch the open practice at 3 online or on tv? matt said it was on ncaa.com but you’ve gotta pay! AHHH!

19. Lay off
    2:26 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m cool with his comment and quite impressed. I take it as a fairly classy move. Regardless of how you feel about either team and coach; this is awesome for the state of Kentucky.

20. Its me
    2:26 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Great post #13. He took us from some of the darkest times in our basketball history to the greatest team ever assembled at UK. He did so much for us. Sure he is a flawed person, but we all are in some way. His flaws standout because of what he does. If we were in the position he was in our flaws would be more noticable too. The worst thing he did was come back as a Cardinal. I think that was also great in a way that makes this rivalry so much more. We owe alot to Pitino. Without him, who knows shere we would be now

21. bigbluegh
    2:27 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I think I could actually like this UL team and would consider pulling for them if the unthinkable happens. BUT…UL fans as a whole are pretty petty and I couldn’t imagine a year of listening to them if they actually won it all. So I’ll pulling for whoever plays them. Sorry Louisville, if your fans weren’t so obnoxious, I’d give you my support. (I know you’re crushed.)

22. UKBlue
    2:28 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

As many lies Rick spoke when he was at UK, after he left UK, going to UL, during his affair, and up to & including this moment; how anyone could believe anything Rick says is ridiculous. It’s even more ridiculous UL fans actually believe the words coming out of his mouth.

23. UKRN
    2:29 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

That was nice.

24. DRderkle
    2:29 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

if we lose i hope louisville wins it all

25. Jnew
    2:30 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Chris Smith just said at the presser that when we get Davis in foul trouble it’s “all over”. Swapshire said that Dieng is as good as Davis..LOLOLOLOLOL

26. Big Blue 66
    2:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

you know, I think something happened with Rick. All year he was throwing his guys under the bus and going nuts at pressers, then right before the big east tourney he turned civil again, even happy…..either he has some form or health probs and got good news or hes ready to retire and knows it and wants to mend fences, I dont know, just seems weird

27. FlashOfBlue
    2:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

The feeling is NOT mutual.

28. Big Blue 66
    2:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

26. they would get beat if Davis wasnt on the team, but, what happens to them when Davis doesnt get into foul trouble.

29. KingRex
    2:32 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m with ya #13. Now let’s go crush some Cardinal souls…

30. BigBlue1976
    2:34 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

22. Exactly. I don’t really care about UL or their players. It’s the fans that drive me crazy. Without them, I could root for UL to do good. But I never will because UL fans become obnoxious in a worse way than we are ever accused of being.

31. Tampa Satchel
    2:39 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Interesting,

32. Listen, Listen to me, LISTEN TO ME
    2:40 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Rick Pitino = NEVER Forgiven!

33. Sean
    2:41 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I gotta give him credit. That’s a c;assy thing to say.

34. Carl
    2:42 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

He’s just trying to make up for the snarky comment he made earlier this week about UK fans jumping off the bridge.
    #31 you are exactly right. I’ve had several UL ‘fans’ verbally assault me today and I haven’t said a word. I say let the team do our talking tomorrow night.
    GO CATS !!

35. DT in DC
    2:45 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

If we lose to UL tomorrow, I will be cheering for Jesus to return before Monday night. I don’t want to see any other team there win it.

36. lexslamman
    2:45 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad Pitino feels that way, but I would rather eat a pile of mastiff vomit than see Louisville win a title.

37. Honey Badger
    2:46 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

We should have hoisted Pitino’s banner in the same denim material of those uniforms. Miserable.

38. tom
    2:46 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Next to the birth of his six children it will be the happiest moment of his life if UK wins it all.

39. BlueFins
    2:48 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Jedi mind trick

40. Scottydee
    2:51 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I have to admit it. I loved the guy when he was at UK and so did all the rest of you bashers. He has admitted that leaving Kentucky was the biggest mistake of his life. When he was available to come back, we should have sent Tubby packing and he would have ended that misery and the misery that was Billy Clyde would have never happened. Don’t get me wrong, I would not trade the coach we have now for anything, but Pitino was perfect at the time for Kentucky. Like all of you I hope we kill the Cards tomorrow but I we always respect and appreciate what Pitino did for our Cats. Give the man his due. He would not be eventually going to the Hall of Fame without us. Go Cats!!!!

41. IndyBlueBlood
    2:54 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Can’t hate the guy who brought us number 6 and left the cupboard full enough for Tubby to bring us number 7, even if I can’t totally believe he’s sincere. We are not here today, if hadn’t been with us then.

42. jchristine87
    3:00 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

38) laughed out loud in my office.. hilarious

43. Ghost of Dolph Lundgren
    3:03 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I hope a lot of these comments are from kids in college and not full grown men.. It’s embarrassing. I’ve spent over 20,000 going from New Orleans, Atlanta and now back to New Orleans. I never ever even think about Pitino… He’s a non issue.. However if I spoke about him, or the past I wouldn’t do so with so much hatred.. Geeeez. Like the coach said after Calapari’s first game here when Wall hit the game winner “they are the big blue”.. Let’s not act like idiots..

44. minton
    3:07 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Not suprised at all by Pitino’s comment. He has never once said anything negative about us that I am aware of. He even admitted to regretting his decision to leave us.

45. jaws2
    3:16 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

AS far as Pitino goes, what’s done is done. He left us for money, came back to our biggest rival, and just last night on TV thru UK under the ‘race’ bus. He’s’ not dead to me, but I’ll never respect him or forgive him for going to u of l. The guy could’ve coached anywhere he wanted. As for rooting for the ‘local’ team to win Monday, that will not be an issue; they won’t be there.

46. sevenisnotenough
    3:16 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

+1 #43. +1

47. TheNewOriginal
    3:20 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

13/43 +1

48. minton
    3:22 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

# 47, He said he went to Louisville because he loved the state and the people of Ky. That’s a huge compliment. UK did not have an opening at the time. Nothing wrong with what he did.

49. Wildcatsteeler
    3:39 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Win us back? He never lost me. He rebuilt our program from ashes and we have 2 more banners in Rupps rafters thanks to him.

50. Beavis
    3:49 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

He has been cranking out this horse crap all week. Don’t be fooled ,, if he loses to UK the little ego manic will implode.

51. nc cat
    3:56 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

PURE Politics……Ricky P. know where he can still garner a few political points. Never doubt he wants to destroy the UK/Calipari program….his ego won’t let him do otherwise!! This public statement is all about being able to travel the bluegrass without the Laettner effect. Go Cats….take ’em down!!!

52. 7andcounting
    4:18 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

You make the “If we cant bring it back, I hope they do” speech Saturday night AFTER your team gets their a$$es handed to them by the Cats.

53. Al's IndiCats
    4:19 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

27, Him being Bi-polar was treatable, and I sincerely think he is. As for his wishing us to take it all if Loservile doesn’t ehhhhhhhh, I have to think he may have said it right after the meds kicked in.
    I like some of you have to thank him for bringing us back from that dark time. Although he had to know at the time that every UK fan felt deep down in their TRU BLUE SOUL their hatered for UL. Honestly I would have rooted for him had he took another job elsewhere (not as hard as I do UK). But damn…..Louisville? He cannot be trusted in anything. He lied to the fans, the recruits, to the University that he was never going to leave until the time was right. 5 weeks later “POOF” he was gone in a puff of smoke!!!!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!! Cats BY 17, AND IT EVEN WON’T BE THAT CLOSE!

54. cdc_uky
    4:25 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

He is a great coach. He is a shitty person.

55. alaeotus
    4:55 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I choose to believe Rick Pitino means he wants UK to win it all if UofL does not.

56. CatFanInNashville
    4:59 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

13 and 15 are right. Dark days after Sutton. None of the top coaches wanted the job. We owe Ricky P for what he did then to turn the program around. We owe him gratitude not mercy. Now let’s go stomp the cards and bring home number 8!!!

57. ashlandcatfan
    4:59 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

This is just a fall back for when they lose tomorrow. Saying it now so it wont be stereotyped tomorrow as him just saying cause they lost, he knows they are gonna lose. As far as taking the louisville job, did you expect anything less hell the man cheated on his wife and got another woman pregnant. Does it surprise you he cheated on UK and went to Louisville?

58. ashlandcatfan
    5:00 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

He has no loyalties

59. Paducahfan
    9:21 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I heard he would have returned to uk but tubby had to leave voluntarily and that didn’t happen. If he was our guy we would still all be behind him.

60. John Ellis
    9:47 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Tubby whipped him yearly and Cal does now. Thank god he didn’t come back. He either has a PR firm on retainer or he’s gifted in that area. More problematic were his claims today that he solved the race problem UK had versus UL, by recruiting black Louisville players. So I’m sure he was thrilled when Tubby got Rondo from him. Win or lose, the man’s ego destroyed his greatness as a coach. To this day he doesn’t understand what UK had before, during and after him, his eyes are backwards mirrors.

61. KB
    10:09 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

#42, well said. Rick brought us out of the darkness and I loved him for it. Hurt when he left, like losing a family member. Still remember where I was when he announced he was going to the NBA. Always felt he went to U of L because he loved our state. Love Cal who is going to get us #8 but memories of # 6 will always be treasured.

62. catdaddyd
    11:09 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Line beards on Walker and Epps, hmmm.

63. Uk Cat Fan