Pickle Ball’s Saturday News and Views

Why am I writing about Pickle Ball you might ask? Well, mainly because no one I find interesting has a May 10th or May 11th birthday. Sorry, Cory Monteith (the 30 year old who plays a 17-year old on Glee), Cam Newton, Ace Hood, Pam Ferris (Ms. Trunchbull from Matilda) and Matt Leinart. None of you made the cut. Instead, I’m going to share my new found love and hobby with all of you: Pickle Ball.

Definition: Pickleball is a fun game that is played on a badminton court with the net lowered to 34 inches at the center. It is played with a perforated plastic baseball (similar to a whiffle ball) and wood or composite paddles. It is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.

I played Pickle Ball for 2 weeks in my Lifetime Sports gym class in high school. Until one month ago, I had never played or even thought about the game since gym class. A friend’s Dad (KSR writer Kristen Geil= friend, Jack Geil= Dad) invited me to play with him and a group on Monday nights. Not knowing what to expect, I put on my Walmart Custom Elite socks and rolled into the gym. When I walked in, I quickly realized that I was a good 30 years younger, 50 years younger in most cases, than every single person on the court. The age range was generally between 40 and 80. Yes, 80. I felt pretty good about my chances as the young whipper snapper, only a few years removed from playing a sport in college. I thought I would run circles around the older men and women. It took me all of 3 seconds to realize that I was wrong. I was dead wrong. When I lost 3 straight games to a combination of a man the age of my grandpa wearing a sweatband, a woman in floral print khaki capri pants and Shape-Ups, and a man wearing jeans and a polo shirt…I knew that I had grossly miscalculated my place among the group.

It turns out Pickle Ball is wildly popular in retirement communities, hence the older crowd. Most of the people I play with play multiple times a week and they all have their own custom paddles. The game is addicting and fun, one I would recommend anyone trying if you find the opportunity. It’s hard to explain, but try to imagine if tennis, racquetball and ping pong somehow had a baby. That baby would be very confused about who the father was but it would also be Pickle Ball. Don’t knock it ’til you try it folks. And don’t assume that you will beat the oldest guy there named Bob. You won’t. And he won’t smile. Ever.

And now on to the news and views from a big day in the life of Big Blue Nation…

—– Mark Stoops’ tweet does a nice job summing up May 10th, 2013 in Commonwealth. All eyes were on Conner High School this afternoon as one of the state’s top prospects in the class of 2014 announced his college decision. Drew Barker, the 6th best quarterback in the 2014 class, picked Kentucky over South Carolina and Tennessee this afternoon. Barker’s relationship with Kentucky had been heating up since the spring game, but Kentucky was fighting an uphill battle against the Gamecocks for Barker’s services.

—– The times have certainly changed around the Kentucky football program. Watching Mark Stoops and his staff operate in every facet (in large part because the program is much more transparent and open now) of the program over the past few months has shown just how much of a difference there is between the current staff and the former staff. Joker Phillips didn’t even know who Drew Barker was after he attended a UK camp last year. Barker said that “six months ago, I couldn’t imagine putting on a UK cap today.” Barker went on to say that new coach Mark Stoops has turned things around.

—– One of the interesting things to note in regards to Barker’s announcement today was the national media vs. the local media. Almost all of the national football recruiting folks and media members hedged their bets with South Carolina. On the contrary, the only people seriously picking Kentucky were the local media members. I can’t remember who said it, but someone put it best when they said (and I paraphrase): “When a decision used to come down to 50/50 between 1 school and Kentucky, you almost had to make the smart bet and go with the other school. With Stoops though? I think now you go Kentucky.”

—– Tyler Thompson did a great job this morning of outlining why getting Drew Barker WOULD BE huge for Kentucky. Now that Barker has pledged his allegiance with the Wildcats, here are just a few of the reasons that getting Drew Barker IS huge for Kentucky:

1) Drew Barker is good

We’ve talked about it here on KSR for a while now, but Drew Barker is one of the best quarterback prospects to come out of the state of Kentucky in quite a while. Although the Kentucky high school football competition is not always the best gauge of talent, Barker has made a splash nationally and has the potential to be a big-time player in Kentucky’s future with the Neal Brown offense. Barker is UK’s highest ranked QB commit in the Rivals era (h/t Kyle Tucker)

2) The momentum just keeps building…

Sometimes when a school hires a new coach, the school and the coach must endure some hiccups or growing pains. Leftover matters, or new issues can arise that cause slight momentum stoppers here and there. Every time a crucial moment has come up for Stoops and his staff since his arrival in Lexington, they have come out on the right side of things. They haven’t taken a wrong step yet. The momentum from the press conference grew with the staff’s recruiting prowess. The crowd and excitement surrounding the spring game led to even more good things– while also helping to catch the attention of a big time recruit like Barker.

3) Kentucky’s 2014 class is starting to take shape nicely…

Although it’s very, very early… Kentucky currently has the 18th ranked recruiting class in 2014 according to Scout.com. Kentucky is currently ahead of Auburn, Virginia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina (sorry, again) and Oklahoma (sorry, bro).

Drew Barker has even higher expectations though…

4) There’s probably more to come…

When a program can sign a top notch quarterback early on in a class, the dominos are bound to fall shortly thereafter. Kentucky already has the #6 QB, #22 RB and #24 WR for the entire class of 2014 on board. Neal Brown is starting to piece together the kind of tools he needs to fire off the Air Ride sirens in Commonwealth Stadium. Barker admitted that he’s already working the rest of the guys he knows from the recruiting class as well.

5) The battle of Kentucky is off to a great start

The coaching staff has clearly set out a few priorities when it comes to recruiting. Kentucky wants to keep the top in-state talent. So far, Stoops is off to a great start. Between the 2013 and 2014 classes, Kentucky has managed to keep some of the best in-state talent (Ryan Timmons, Jason Hatcher, Drew Barker).

6) This coaching staff isn’t familiar with the term “can’t”

The list of things we used to think a coach couldn’t accomplish at a place like Kentucky continues to dwindle every day. Kentucky was completely out of the picture for Drew Barker when Joker Phillips was still in the picture. A few months later…

Andrew Wiggins Watch:

—– There was a tiny sliver of hope that Andrew Wiggins MIGHT announce his college decision tonight, but most felt that the timing was a little premature. Wiggins’ mother is supposed to be coming in town, so the potential for news to break at any moment is certainly possible. The next most likely date now seems to be sometime on Monday, though nothing has been confirmed or announced to set that in stone.

—– The moral of the story? Today was a rather quiet day in the land of Andrew Wiggins’ decision. The decision still hasn’t been made. You can still find someone who firmly believes he will choose Florida State. You can still find someone who firmly believes he will choose Kentucky. You can still find someone who firmly believes he will choose North Carolina. You can still find someone who firmly believes he will choose Kansas. And you can also find someone who firmly believes in a thing called love. Just listen to the rhythm of the heart.

—– Nazr Mohammed fouled LeBron James. Hard.

(AP Photo)

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

56 Comments for Pickle Ball’s Saturday News and Views

1. Harry
    11:07 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know if I want Wiggins or not. I sure hope he makes quicker decisions on the court than in his recruitment

2. Bbn#1
    11:08 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Can anyone post a link of the vine Aaron Harrison made

3. The Darkness
    11:17 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

I believe in a thing called loooooooove… ooooooo-ooo-oooo-oooooooo… GIT-TARRR!!!!

4. Otis
    11:19 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Louisville has lost twice in the NIT with Pitino as coach.

5. Ridge Runner
    11:21 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Well I learned something… Pickle Ball.

Before this, the only ball I had played involving the word pickle was 3 guys, 2 playing catch with a baseball or softball -while 1 guy tried to steal or run to the next base. Even baseball uses the term at times when a runner is caught between the bases and is in a pickle.

2) I thought it was settled hours ago that another Aaron Harrison came up with that and it’s a non-story.

6. Ridge Runner
    11:22 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

1…oh yes, you want him.

7. inquiring minds
    11:23 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Why is this site ignoring the Harrison vine. Please explain what happened Matt.

8. Jen
    11:31 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

What’s with this Monday speculation for Wiggins’ announcement? His coach said it wasn’t likely that he’d have a press conference. If that’s true then his mom is just there to wrap up the process. Therefore he could tweet his decision at any time.

9. Ridge Runner
    11:33 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

10, Oh it’s just #79 in the top 100 Wiggins-Speculation list. I don’t see anything any different than the others that have been and are out there. Ya know?

10. Ridge Runner
    11:34 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Jen..not 10. Excusse me.

11. Jen
    11:34 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

7. Why would you want to stir up crap over something that someone in the background, not the Harrisons, said in some stupid four-second video that was deleted? And who needs Matt Jones to explain that to them? Jeezus. For what it’s worth, someone on twitter just asked Andrew Harrison where he thought Wiggins was going, and Harrison said he hoped it was UK.

12. WKYblue
    11:41 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

#1 I think I agree with you. This kid is making the recruiting process look way too shady for me. His parents went to FSU so if he’s going there why drag it out? His Prep School coach is gettin national attention from this too. A Prep school coach is spoon fed good players. Let him come to Owensboro Catholic and see how good of a coach he is. I’m the most proud of the recruits that committed early. I don’t know how many 5 star recruits its gonna take to win # 9 but I know how many we are gonna use. # BBN.

13. Newty22
    11:53 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Im watching the Golden State-San Antonio series and I see alot of similarities in Harrison Barnes and Wiggins. I dunno if this has been discussed or not, but everything about them is alike. Anyone want to chime in on that?

14. SissyPants
    11:53 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Too bad it wasnt a tarheel or kansas recruit that put out the FQ Wiggins vine, KSR would be all over it. And maybe Wiggins Mom is in town for Mother’s Day, just a wild guess.

15. Bill Clinton sucks
    12:01 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Nazr rules! Lebron is the biggest pu$$y ever!!
    No way he makes it on the 90’s. bad boys amongst others
    chew him up.

16. Sam R
    12:06 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone else think it is funny that Barker is a Cat? Get it? Dogs Bark. And his name is Barker.

17. Dee W.
    12:10 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

18. Wildcat Doctor
    12:27 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

I had no idea Kristen Geil is Dr. Geil’s daughter. I work with that guy sometimes and he is AWESOME.

Also, I’m pretty sure my neighbor goes to those particular Monday night pickle ball games (he’s mentioned other Peds Heme/Onc doctors playing there before, just not Dr. Geil).

19. Wiggins to UK Monday or Tuesday????
    12:32 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Apparently we aren’t the only ones thinking wiggins commits to UK on Monday or Tuesday. Saw this link today. Apparently Kansas fans believe the same thing we do. Wiggins will be a Cat and apparently might already be committed to UK!!! Here’s the link to what Kansas fans are saying 👇👇👇👇👇👇👌👌👌

20. jmfatz47
    1:13 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

I like Barker. When people compare him to Towels I shrug. Towels is great but I think Barker may possess the “it” factor that we need. 2 yrs from now he will be a stud. I love that he is vocal about ballers following him here recruiting-wise. These days, players even recruit on an elite level compared to others. With that being said, the Wiggins commitment will crash the site. He is still the most important recruit. Whenever u have a legit shot at the best player coming out since Lebron then everything else takes a backseat.

21. jmfatz47
    1:13 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Towles * damn auto spell!

22. SeaCat
    1:57 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Ally, nice try at written stimulation…
    I want Wiggins, but he sorta reminds
    me of Ron Mercer…
    I hope I am wrong.

23. lookagain
    2:14 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

13… not even close. Although they have similar skill sets, Wiggins is much more athletic and explosive. The only similarity I MAY see is their demeanor

24. New and Views Should Have Been Dedicated to Me Tonight
    2:28 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

25. Jpo
    3:31 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

I absolutely love it when commenters here say they don’t want wiggins anymore because he’s taking too long. John wall and ppat took longer, guess we should not have gotten them either.

26. dave
    3:32 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

15-youre a f***ing moron.
    lebron is 6’8, 250lbs. and, if anything, the competition is bigger & stronger now than the 90s.
    lebron wouldve owned the 90s too.

27. Buckets
    4:11 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

15 = MORON

28. Bleed Blue
    4:34 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

@13 no they aren’t. With that out of the way, the thing with Aaron Harrison is stupid. His friend posted and said what was in that Vine. He posted on Aaron’s account so Aaron must have left his phone laying around because the friend even took credit for it. Secondly Wiggins and the Harrisons have a good relationship with each other and respect each other, so quit trying to stir up drama. Finally Wiggins is ours. I was told he may tweet out his decision tomorrow, but I feel like it will be after Mothers day. All I know is that he is ours.

29. John
    6:45 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Most fans could see the potential UK had in football…we have been saying for years that we should be able to control parts of OH/PA and keep the top talent in state. It just took the right coaches to make UK a sexy option. That’s why we haven’t settled and for us that believed it could happen, we feel justified. Glad the folks at KSR (Matt) recognize the error of their ways. Never settle for mediocrity BBN.

30. SeoulCat
    7:09 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

#29 Amen to that! I remember getting blasted in the comments section here for saying we could succeed with the right coach and that it was possible to bring top recruits to Lexington. Although we haven’t won a single game under Stoops yet, you would have to have your head buried in the sand not to see that things are getting A LOT better, very quickly. And, yes, we feel vindicated.

31. SexnNursinHomes
    7:10 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Ally,
    Does Pickleball tighten your ass cheeks?

32. Ukbball4eva
    7:50 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

#28 what happened between AH&AW? Did he tweet something?…..and decision possibly 2day, latest Monday????

33. SevenT
    7:51 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

WOW

Barker is a HUGE recruit. It is amazing how fast Stoops is making his mark on the program. Makes you think what would the program be like today if they had hired him over The Joker 3 years ago?

34. Kiddekat
    8:46 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Uh oh!

Mother’s Day gift to Mom – “I’m going to your alma mater.” Do I believe it? No, but how much more awkward can this whole thng get?

35. Mark Stoops
    8:52 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

I live my life based on a Pantera tune called “Yesterday Don’t Mean Shit”.

36. OC Nation
    9:33 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

You don’t know pickle ball until you know Jim Ivey.

37. Gary
    9:41 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Maybe mama Wiggins is just VISITING her SON for Mothers Day???? Some do that ya know?

38. Reality
    9:47 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Lebron is a huge [email protected] They have 3 all-stars on the team, plus Ray Allen. They have guys that sit on the end of the bench (Mike Miller and Rashard Lewis) that would start or be the first ones of the bench for the Bulls. Bulls are down 3 key players and they struggle to beat them. Not to mention the fact that the Heat got every call last night. Lebron aint no Jordan and never will be. Hope he tears his acl.

39. Sugar Bowl
    9:53 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Man, this Barker kid must be a real gangsta. Look at that flat billed hat. I bet he carries a gun in his waistband.

40. RahRah
    10:00 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

Took a look at the Kansas board posted earlier. Pretty humorous except that I saw that we have a couple people trolling their board relentlessly, just like the UofL fans that do it here. Come on, BBN, we’re better than that!

41. If Nazr could shot free throws HALF as well as he can brawl we’d be sitting on 9 championships now.

42. I mean SHOOT free throws…

43. Big Al
    10:24 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

38.Jerk says what!

44. not a cavs fan
    11:08 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

15 I agree. The rules have changed so much you can’t even commit a hard foul without it being called a flagrant. Some of these clowns on here think james is some huge uk fan. Guess what he don’t give two shits about uk. He’s cals buddy that is it. Anyways lebron and d wade are the two biggest crybabies in the league. Lebron couldn’t lead a team to an nba championship until he jumped ship to a stacked team. Thats why he will never be jordan or kobe or bird or magic. If lebron lead cleveland to one championship that would have been one of the best sports storys ever written.instead prince james had to go ride the coatails of dwade.

45. Jpo
    11:49 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

44. Every player you mentioned had a “stacked team”. Guess what? Next year UK will have a “stacked team”. I guess it only means something if you win a championship with a horrible team.

46. Cokely
    11:56 am May 11, 2013 Permalink

44 looks like the biggest cry baby in this comment section. Maybe he should join up with a more stacked comment section so he can matter.

47. I Say
    12:30 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

44 yea Pippen, Rodman, and kukoc all sucked…you are a douche and have no idea what your talking about. Those championships also don’t count for Jordan because he had the greatest coach of all time coaching him. You are dumb AF

48. Dc cat
    12:34 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

1 and 12 – you guys are nuts. The kid seems to have assertive patents who want him at fsu. Nothing wrong with taking his time. And this process has nothing to do with his ability or on court decision making.

49. World Wide Wes
    12:37 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

He ain’t comin’,ma fu’kers! Ya’ll still owe me a fortune for the twins . Pay up or shut up!

50. Dolly Parton
    12:39 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m coming to Rupp in concert. Is that why you keep saying,”the twins are coming”?

51. KY fan in lagrange
    1:26 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

38 and 44 Lebron would dominate any era of basketball you guys sound like some pussies! I wish Noah would get an “accident” elbow to the face!

52. KY Realist
    2:49 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

51) Go F yourself Queer.

53. the bluest
    3:23 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

KY football is the worst there is, the worst there was, and the worst there ever will be.

54. Bleed Blue
    3:52 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

@32 a vine, which is a video that last 6 secs, but you keep recording and pausing until the 6 secs are up. Apparently the Twins were doing one in a car and their friend from the backseat shouted out “F*** Andrew Wiggins! How about that Wiggins!” the friend took credit for posting and saying that vine. And yes I have been told he could announce today, but I feel like Monday is a better day.

55. derek rowe
    5:21 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Jordan bird etc. didn’t leave the team that drafted them to go play with all stars did they? Chicago sucked when jordan got there. Those guys built it from the ground up. The nba is full of guys who should still be in college. You think archie goodwin would be a potential first round pick in the 80s or 90s? Hell no. Most of you on lebrons nuts probably not old enough to remember jordan or magic.47) kukoc?? Lmao! Yeah he is a hall of famer. Just like grant cartwright, wennington, kerr and paxon.You’re a dumbass. 51)keep running that weiner cleaner you lil bitch

56. jo Dee
    6:04 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Ok children lets stop the name calling. Go cats!!