Photos from the tailgating scene (or lack thereof)

The student tailgating area was COMPLETELY empty at 4:30. So depressing…

Cooper Drive wasn’t much better…

20 minutes before the Cat-Walk…

The cheerleaders and dance team show up to help the crowd…

Jeremy and Ryan discussing the low turnout at the Cat-Walk…

Does this little guy have the answer?

Or is Matt’s new KSR bicycle the answer?

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Photos from the tailgating scene (or lack thereof)

1. jymbo
    2:11 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

I think Eli needs to go with Joker.

2. tdogg40330
    2:13 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Its as bad as I’ve ever seen it, but I still had fun yesterday …. GO CATS !!!

3. uknate2124
    2:21 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

It was bad, very bad.

4. JulieJ
    2:22 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Guess I’m in the minority but I won’t quit on our boys. No matter what you think of the coach, those kids are wearing the blue and white. I’ll cheer for them regardless. They chose to come to UK and have sweat through 100 degree practices, shed their blood, bruised their bodies and gotten very little support. I’m proud of each and every one them. Go Cats!

5. checkmyswag
    2:26 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

uncalled for from the kids parents to make him wear that shirt, i get it that petrino is an offensive genius but he is offensive in many other ways as well….

6. Head Bussa
    2:29 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Just like last season, I would rather just fast forward through the rest of the season and be done with it. Our team is the laughing stock of the nation and it’s downright miserable to watch them. It’s not our players’ fault, though, and I wish them the best of luck in getting the type of coach that can give them the best college experience they can have.

7. MattP
    2:46 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

The Catwalk actually filled up and was no worse than an average Cat Walk attendance. I go to each one and I was in fact impressed with the actual turnout in comparison to what I expected. No need in trying to make the support look worse than what it was by posting an early photo.

It also looked like the students simply moved their tailgate. There was quite a large collection on the corner of Cooper and University on the stadium side of cooper.

8. bung
    2:50 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

i think mr capuccino should ban fans from the games now… if he did it would have been quiet enough for one of our 2nd string players to holler out what to do in the last minute of the first half…then our a.d. could hire him what hollered to coach at what ever place he applies to next…

9. jwyatt79
    2:52 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Have the players been drinking with the students before the game? Alcohol is banned and the team (while losing) actually makes an appearance…

10. shnnyi
    3:01 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

As I’ve said before Mr. Capuccino feels at home with the crowd. I mean he comes from UAB who plays in Legion Field now they have huge crowds in the former home of the tide!! Sure they do!!!

11. JuilieJiSdUmb
    3:02 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

really Julie? really? people like you are what keeps us where we are. You wouldn’t complain about us recruiting 80 year old women as long as they “gave it their all and wore the blue and white.” –OPEN YOUR EYES and live in reality girl. you are wasting precious time and not just your own!

12. myman
    3:02 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

poop in your pants tasty like smoothies…then you will smell like dump an d get diaper rash…its a poop smoothie!

13. Duke Sucks
    3:16 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

The players are giving their all and DO respect that. The only problem is to many of the just simply are not good enough to play in the SEC. It’s a shame that our staff has put these kids in spots where they are doomed to fail. Like I said I do respect the effort though.

14. bung
    3:25 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

just to clarify 8…i should have said a player from the sidelines could have hollered the play since the coaches apparantly didnt have one…i didnt mean we have 2nd string players

15. Billyshots
    3:32 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

I got to the catwalk at 8 am and never left. I wanted to be in the front so bad I wore adult diapers so I could remain there for all 12 hours. Well worth it.

16. Tom
    3:44 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Funny, no pics from the other side of the stadium…..where the adults always tailgate

17. JulieJ
    3:44 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

#11. You can call me names if it makes you feel better but I am living in reality. This is our team, Joker will be gone next year, I’m a fan. I support my team, they didn’t chose the coach, they want to win just as badly as you want them to. What I say anonymously or what you say on a message board isn’t going to change a thing. Glad I’m not your kid though.

18. UkNeal7
    4:03 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry but the misrepresentation of the cat walk is wrong. That is not 20 minutes before. The ropes weren’t even set up yet. I’ve tailgated right next to the cat walk every game for the past four years and the cat walk for the USC game was not terrible. I have seen it much worse. You should have taken a picture when it started Drew.

19. JDH
    5:03 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

I agree wth 18. I was at the cat walk yesterday and I’ve seen it much worse than yesterdays cat walk crowd. The crowd for the cat walk was better than I expected yesterday.

20. David Puddy
    5:32 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey, gotta support your team.

21. WERUK
    6:39 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

WOW.. Drew and KSR this is a new low.. Wheres the rest of the pics, as I was there and saw the actual crowd lol

22. njCat
    6:44 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey Drew… I think they just called you a liar. Got anything?

23. Real fan
    7:11 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Why would anyone want to come play for the Cats. All you negative so called fans need to shut your yappers. You all can jump back on the band wagon when we’re winning. For now why don’t you just go to some other program you like because I’m sure they will start losing with fans like you. Then when we start winning & I know we will & the Cat Walk is filled. You can start crying on there message boards. Go Big Blue !!!!!!!

24. Matt Jones
    7:35 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

We did our show from the Cat Walk and there were more people when the team actually arrived…but it was less than normal (although probably not the worst ever) and we were on the air during the actual Cat Walk, meaning Drew could not take any pictures.

Contrary to what people believe, we have no agenda to make the Cat Walk look bad…we are sharing pictures from the day…as for not taking pictures where the “adults” are…we did that a few weeks ago and people complained then too. Believe whatever you wish, but yesterday was one of the lowest tailgate attendances ever…which should surprise no one, since it was the second lowest announced attendance for the game since 1996

25. njCat
    7:35 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

23. I think the players would prefer to play on a winning team… something that will NEVER happen if Mitch doesn’t get a top flight coach and make the facilities competitive in the SEC.

Ever read Atlas Shrugged??? John Galt’s philosophy was to go on strike rather than beat his head against the wall supporting a system that had no chance of succeeding. Only when the system hits rock bottom is there enough motivation to actually make the necessary changes to get sh..t right.

26. njCat
    7:39 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

Matt.. you may NOT have an agenda, but it sure looks like it the way those photos were presented. I don’t really think you DO have an agenda, but sometimes you and Drew seem to present things just to get people riled up. If those photos were taken long before the game and people were there when the players ran through.. it would have been better to at least say that in the caption.

Keep it real Matt.

27. Slappy
    7:42 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

As fans, UK’s students are among the worst in the country, in both football and basketball. Just awful.

28. WhatAWorldWhatAWorld
    7:46 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

That’s some fine parenting there. Who wouldn’t use Bobby Petrino as a role model for their child?

29. DesignatedDrinker
    7:50 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

There is word for fans who support when a team wins and not when they lose, it’s bandwagon. Julie is right. Supporting your team at this point will not keep Joker, but may show new recruits the fans aren’t miserable and bandwagon. If I’m recruiting a player that is looking at UK, I show them those pictures. Everything BBN is so proud of with basketball is a reason it’s so unsuccessful in football. I don’t care if idiots on here agree, because I’m not going to read your responses and you’re wrong anyway.

30. Blue4ever
    8:00 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

The picture of the Cat Walk is pretty sad. I hate it for the kids. They played hard last night and deserve better.

31. Matt P
    9:12 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

The green and Red lots were less packed than usual but the purple, blue and orange lots looked to be really full. We are in the purple lot and it was very full as was the blue seeing as we walk through them to get into the game.

32. njcat
    9:26 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

29. Designate Drunk is also drinking the koolaid. Great argument.. I’m right, your wrong and I don’t care what you say. Talk about intellectually bankrupcy!

33. Bot the Replier
    9:32 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

The real lesson here is that this is what happens when liberals try to control things with over regulation. Their response to a few bad apples is to always inflict more rules that hurt the masses.

34. James K
    10:26 pm September 30, 2012 Permalink

I really, really wish the ‘I won’t quit on our boys’ people would just give it a rest. Makes me wonder if you guys are the same types of people that stick it out in abusive marriages that should probably end. Look — the program needs to make a change, and the tailgating thing is only partially the actual quality of the product on the field. People like to have a good time, and the president of the university really irked people with his policy. It is what it is.

You guys may not quit on the team, but the culture of Kentucky football right now is not a culture of winning. Throw X’s and O’s and the small details of recruiting out the window — these kids don’t believe they can win, and it is VERY obvious.

35. Big Whoop
    5:44 am October 1, 2012 Permalink

James K, this has been an annual event since Bryant left. The “Blame The Fans” (BTF) crowd always comes forth when UK sucks. “You don’t show up because we suck and it is your fault.” “We don’t win because you don’t cheer enough or loud enough.” “You don’t support the team.” Blah, blah blah. As for the UK Admin…..you get what you pay for. As for little Eli, it might help if you think about unintended consequences of your high and mighty attitudes.