Phillips/Barnhart Quotes From Post-Game Press Conference

-Joker began by saying how proud he was of how the players have handled the tumultuous past few weeks and thanking them, saying that he also learned a lot in the past three weeks.

-On moving on: “It’s time to go. I understand that. It’s definitely time to go.”

-“It’s been fun. I’m excited to watch this young team compete.”

-On the next head coach, whoever that may be: “Give the guy a chance. This is Kentucky football… given a chance, this thing can be good.”

-Phillips also told the media that his office is emptied out and he just has to turn in the keys. If there is a sadder visual right now, I don’t know what it is.

-Joker will spend his first few weeks post-Kentucky answering the hundreds of encouraging calls and notes he has received since his firing.

-“No one’s been offered the job. People have been responsive.”

-There is no timeline for the hire; Barnhart is simply looking for the best fit.

-Barnhart is “not going to get into specifics” about what qualities he wants in the next football coach. “You’ll know it when you see it.”

-Mitch said he appreciates the fans’ patience and warned us that there’s been a lot of misinformation flying around.

-UK is a “good job” and there are plenty of interested coaches out there who want to work in the SEC.

That’s all, folks.

Article written by Kristen Geil

49 Comments for Phillips/Barnhart Quotes From Post-Game Press Conference

1. Stigall
    4:38 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait to listen to jones bash petrino some more. All you callers beware. You can’t want a coach because the university might be sued. Haha. Quit spewing your propaganda, Matt. Your daddy Mitch must not use lube when you don’t listen

2. blamecanada
    4:41 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Misinformation???? You mean everyone who claims to have a source that says “………….” isn’t telling the truth?

3. soggyUKgrad
    4:41 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I’m sad it didn’t work out for Joker. was rooting for him to succeed, but I will NOT miss the most conservative play-calling on the planet!!!! 3rd & 10…screen pass. 3rd & 7….3 yard completion.

4. Mitch
    4:47 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Qualification #1 Will you ask for things like a competitive salary for yourself and coaches?
    #2 Do you want me to up grade CWS? #3 Will you be my new best friend?

5. Mike
    4:47 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

WTH gives Barnfart the reason to thank the fan base for their patience in the new hire when nothing could be further from the truth? We are all pissed off that he has been so cryptic with putting out any info at all. Once again, Mitch shows that he continues to be clueless as well.

6. David
    4:47 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Yeah it must be real sad to go home and draw a pay check for the next two years for what 5 million dollars or whatever it is. Pardon me if I don’t cry any tears.

7. fur eel
    4:48 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

The University of Mitch Barnhart. “Not going into specifics” and “You’ll know it when you see it” is the motto. Good thing he was signed to a ten year contract. That way he’ll have three more coaching hires to botch. But hey, at least there’s the olympic sports………

8. Does “no timeline” = NFL coach?

9. JBR
    4:53 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Good god…Joker needs to shut up and go away. KSR can have your pity party for Joker all you want, but he was a loser, it was obvious from day one, and he has said 20 times this little back handed comment about “give the next guy time”. Quit crying…you suck, you got fired because you couldn’t do your job, now have some class and move on. I didn’t feel this harshly until I heard him start whining about this stuff. Please, just go away.

10. 7, I understand. The problem some of us have is the “fans” who post messages telling Joker where to go. That’s WAAAAAY across the line. I say that as a Christian AND a somewhat sane fan.

11. Reality
    4:54 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Actually Mitch the uk FB HC job is a pile of dog sh I t n u know it, that’s y all your invites have been turned down and u have no eta on a coach just like with the brooks hire no one wanted to coach this sh I t hole FB program so u had to get a dinosaur out of retirement then give it to a jerk off joker!!

And it sucks because hell look at what the university puts back into it.

Hahaha

They Leah 70% of the FB revenue the players don’t even have spare socks n live is a cardboard box!!!

Oh and you did that Mitch because you want to look like u got all programs up well the one that brings in the cash is hurting and guess what fans r feed u so suck on my wang b itch barnfart

12. BBN
    4:56 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Barnhart is praying for a miracle, an act of god to intervene in the coaching search. The guy is a fool! All hope is lost for our football program. Seriously folks.

13. Joe
    5:01 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

All I can say is “Reality” is only semi-literate, at best. If that’s reality, it explains many problems of the world.

14. terwilliger
    5:04 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Hey Kristen, here’s a sad visual for you: Enough people died homeless on the streets of America last year to fill Rupp Arena one and a half times. Joker Phillips is a millionaire. Get some perspective.

15. Dorton
    5:07 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

“Phillips also told the media that his office is emptied out and he just has to turn in the keys. If there is a sadder visual right now, I don’t know what it is.”

I can give you a sadder visual…. the UK football this season.

16. Con Man
    5:08 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

When I first went up to this thread, I immediately thought ‘Joe’ had written the post.

17. Han
    5:09 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

9) Unless he has a verbal commitment from a coordinator or sure-to-be-fired guy, it’s too risky to wait that long. And even with the verbal, they could change their mind if offered a better NFL job/contract. There are available ex coaches who might be worth it, though. (Mostly pie-in-the-sky names that get you mocked around here for mentioning them – Cowher, Payton, Gruden, etc.)

You can hire an NFL coordinator to come in, but many NFL teams won’t want their guy contacted too soon to where he may be distracted.

18. classof68
    5:10 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Joker – Pls. take Brainfart with you.

19. Han
    5:10 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

15) It’s a sports blog. Context is relevant.

If you’re going to use that kind of argument about the homeless to put down the writing here, you better never complain about anything, including the UK football program, because of the genocides in Africa. Football pales in comparison to women having their breasts cut off and children be forced to gun down their fathers.

20. classof68
    5:12 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

15. Exactly. Get some perspective.

21. terwilliger
    5:13 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

#20 you have a point. It is still ridiculous to me, though, that someone could feel sad/sorry for a man who is being paid vast sums of money to simply go away.

22. blur
    5:16 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

This is the third time I’ve seen him say give the next coach a chance. To me he’s implying he wasn’t given a chance. Yea he only got 3 years but he was coach in waiting for 2 years I think. The real is everybody around the program knew he wasn’t going to cut it as a HC period.

23. Dr. Tom
    5:18 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Wow, why is everyone so negative and angry. I would hate to be your dog!! Let’s tone it down and let Mitch do his job.

24. Bluefins
    5:20 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Does plenty of interest translate to retreads and BP’s father?

25. BPsycho
    5:23 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Free Pasqualoni!!

26. Ukcatsfan2
    5:37 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I see INCOMPETENCE on one’s face….

Are you capable of making the right hire? And soon?

27. classof68
    5:43 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

24. The problem is Mitch can’t “do his job.”

28. Dano
    5:43 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

It would have been great for everyone if Joker had worked out, and took UK to the next level. As it turns out, it was only great for our opponents. I do not feel sorry for him. Joker is walking away with millions of $$$$$$ to help ease his pain. He should man up and decline the buyout so we can use the money to hire his replacement.

29. Cats
    5:48 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

You guys are dickheads

30. Unreal
    5:51 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Some of you guys are just unreal, Joker and Mitch just broke up, let them at least spend one more night together.

31. John
    5:51 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I think they should hire Jim Tressel from Ohio St

32. barn
    5:56 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

i can’t decide if most of these comments are trolls or actually hateful ignorant fans

33. classof68
    6:07 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

31. Yes, it’s so sad to see true love go bad. These posters are so insensitive.

34. FakeRealDrPhilStihl
    6:08 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

What is with Mitch’s forehead? Dude needs a release.

35. BigBrother
    6:14 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Enough press on a 2-8 football team and a terrible coach. Let’s focus on what we are known for and what we know we are great at and that is Basketball so do we have a Harrow update please???? Forgive me for not wanting to talk about our wonderful football team, and our wonderful football tradition. I know I’m crazy for wanting to talk basketball and our average basketball program and tradition. I know as a fan base we are so desperate to be Alabama in football but can we please stop writing and talking about football??? I have never seen so much press, so much talk, and so many arguments over a team that went 2-8, a program that has never been good for an extended period of time yet as a fan base we like to punish ourselves and talk about it all the time. We sound like Louisville fans. They are also obsessed with their football program and somewhere right now some dumb UL fan is at the bar talking about how UCONN just cost them a National Championship. They live in a dream world and we live in a world where we like to punish ourselves by talking about football all the time. Does it make too much sense to focus on basketball season now????

Thank God its basketball season!!!!

36. unreal
    6:18 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Maybe its just me, but honest truth I am getting were I could care less about football at UK anymore, almost getting tired of the crap he writers do on here and Matt Jones acting like he knows everything, which he has no clue and I really use to enjoy this site.

37. Worst PR AD Ever
    6:55 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Sometimes it feels like Mitch Barnhart really hates UK fans. He hates that we want information. He hates that we’ll hold him accountable. He hates that we’re passionate in ways that seem drastically opposed to his character. I’m dumfounded that the man makes over half a million dollars a year, and has NO IDEA how to communicate respectfully and openly to Kentucky fans. Cal does it like it’s easy. Cal is, as someone joked on the live blog last night, “camera strong”. But Barnhart is a coward, a manipulator, and so passive aggressive it’s almost horrifying that he has the decision-making power he does. I’ve had bosses like Barnhart before, and was always so relieved to either leave the job, or when the guy got transferred. He’s just smarmy. He’s about the last thing Kentucky needed. Even if he ends up making a good decision, he’s done it in the worst way possible.

38. Big Whoop
    6:58 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you, 37. I am SO over UK’s whole attitude about football. As for Matt Jones I don’t listen to him on the radio, but I’ve noticed this site is becoming more and more of a UK Admin PR and propaganda team. Reminds me of WVLK when Curry was still being protected. All I can say to the fans, It’s your money, so spend it how you wish. I no longer give to UK.

39. JDQ
    7:01 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Joker, just shut up and go away. I get it, nice guy, Kentucky guy, good morals, but, he can’t coach. One good year as an offensive coordinator when Woodson had a great season. No one should be given the Head Coach position at a major conference unless he has succesful head coach experience or multiple years as a top assistant, Joker had neither. You had your “Chance”. You took a team that had multiple successive bowl appearances and made them worse in each of your three years. Joker complains about his team being young and having to start freshman. Where are the upperclassman, Joker was a major part of their recruitment? The next guy does need 5-7 years to get a fair shot, because that is how bad Joker has destroyed this program in three years.

40. Cats
    7:10 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Klingsbury!!!’nnn

41. Ziggy Katt
    7:27 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Joe B Hall knows how politics works within UK’s system.
    Who knows better.

Listen

42. Notown Ranger
    7:29 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Thanks, Joker….Good luck.

43. PaducahfanMore
    8:32 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

The 2 4th and ones were perfect examples of how stupid this coaching staff was.

44. Cal
    9:09 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Listen guys, Mitch hates UK. He didn’t want to hire me, so others had to intervene. Face it, football here sucks, and so does Mitch. That’s why he doesn’t run my basketball program!

45. Football, Matt Jones, and Barnfart S**k
    10:36 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Yeh, I used to like Matt Jones and KSR too. Now, Matt has licked enough a** in Lexington and Louisville to be in the UK Click. Now UK fans that listen to him don’t know sh*t. Matt’s radio show is just another way to Spread Barnfart’s Propaganda. Just like the old Soviet Union or Tom Jurich.

46. Football, Matt Jones, and Barnfart S**k
    10:42 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Joker says give the next guy more time. Joker was Papa Brooks OC for 2006 2007. Then he was HCIW 2008 and 2009. That was 5 seasons in and around the program. C’mon man, I wish I could go sit on my ass and draw $5 million for 2 years. Barnfart would not have hired Cal if Mike Pratt had not stepped up and said go get Cal. All UK fans need not renew their season tickets for football. Barnfart is a joke. A F****ng joke.

47. SamKat
    7:49 am November 25, 2012 Permalink

I believe Mitch Barnhart is a man of integrity and I pray for his good choice for UK’s next football coach. Recruiting Div I football players at UK isn’t easy and good coaches have consistently failed to do so here. Bear Bryant isn’t walking around and available anymore.

I wonder at and I am consistently proud of those strong people who play for UK football.

48. classof68
    9:55 am November 25, 2012 Permalink

38: Worse than being smarmy, Brainfart is snarky.