Petrino is coming to The Hill

*The pictures are all taken by my iPhone. Does anyone recognize the southern cook look alike sitting directly in front of me?

Earlier today, Bobby Petrino was named the head football coach at Western Kentucky University. I’d never attended a press conference before. But Bobby Petrino was having a press conference 25 minutes from where I live. I HAD NO CHOICE. I had to attend.

I made the short 25 minute drive down to Bowling Green, arriving at the press conference around 3:15. It was already beginning to fill up. Twenty minutes before it started, it was standing room only.

I won’t go through quote by quote what was said by Petrino and WKU AD Todd Stewart, but I will hit the high points and give you a few tidbits relative to us in UK land.

*Stewart said they wanted to hire the best “person” to continue the program’s upward climb. He wanted a “consistent winner.” He got one of them, I

*Petrino said he considered this “coming home” for he and his family. He said he has spent the past 8 months in counseling with his family rebuilding those relationships and “making things right with his wife.” Petrino’s wife was in attendance with him at the presser.

*When asked if his off field troubles will hurt his ability to recruit, Petrino said he will now be able to sit down with families and share his experience and how he became a better person. Said he can now help players who incur problems along their journey. Petrino said he wants to coach not only the “player” but also the “person” now.

*In my favorite part of the presser, Stewart noted that “This is the United States of America. People deserve second chances.” I like how people drop the word America during statements to lessen the opposition against the statement. As if coming back against the statement is treason.

*Petrino is now the highest paid coach in the Sun Belt. Don’t act like your not impressed.

*In UK related news, everyone’s favorite UK troll asked Stewart if since hiring Petrino he’d had any offers from Kentucky to buy out the game in Nashville. Stewart gave UK credit for scheduling the four year series with Western. He said UK had nothing to gain from doing it and that WKU was nothing but appreciative.

*A continuation of the WKU-UK football series is unlikely. WKU is moving to nine conference games and won’t have room. As it was, their next two schedules are already finalized without Kentucky.

If the showing at the presser today is any indication, WKU fans are in support of this hire. If I was a WKU fan, I would be too. As Stewart alluded to a couple of times, no matter if Petrino stays forever or leaves after a year, as long as the program is in a better place when he leaves that’s all WKU can ask for. I hope UK fans feel the same about Mark Stoops.

I turned 30 yesterday and my memory is fading, but I can’t remember there EVER being this much excitement around football in December in the state of Kentucky. Enjoy it, it might never happen again.

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

46 Comments for Petrino is coming to The Hill

1. Wccpro
    6:52 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Great job Flener. Nice coverage. Maybe ksr should send u to all pressers of hiring new coaches. I think that’d be the best job in the world. I don’t see your neck brace tho.

2. Steve
    6:59 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Was BozBitch the UK troll?

3. jeremy
    7:03 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Is it just me or does he look like he is not happy at all. He’s not going to be there next year

4. Big O
    7:05 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

UK just hired a new football coach and he is busy bringing in his staff, the UK women are ranked in the top 10, the women’s volleyball team had another great year and finally, Coach Cal is finding he may have to make his greatest coaching effort to have this team ready by March and you are writing about Petrino coming to WKU. Man- you need to find something to do with your time. Don’t quit your day job!!!

5. red headed step child
    7:06 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Looks like WKU just stooped to a new level.
    Is red the only color Petrino can wear? What a low life.
    Maybe he steals Summers.

6. English 101
    7:06 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

>>Don’t act like your not impressed.<<

Really, it's the spelling at KSR that impresses me most.

7. Wait Til Your Turn Fleney
    7:06 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

“This is the United States of America. People deserve second chances.” I like how people drop the word America during statements to lessen the opposition against the statement. As if coming back against the statement is treason.”

Hey Flener – people do deserve second chances. Live in many other countries and see how that disappears. Also take into consideration the effect the US has had on the countries where it is better to live now.

All so you can make a joke? Petrino does deserve a second chance and when you f up in your future (which you will) you’ll deserve one too (but not until you see how foolish it is to goof on the statement made in an attempt to make you sound clever).

8. HeyJeremy
    7:07 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

How many of your freshman have left after one year? Who cares if he wins?

9. Gotcha Now
    7:08 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

This year, as last year the ‘Toppers will kick some blue uk arse. ha. Western Ky has/is treated like a left handed step child and is tired of the treatment. We are moving forward one sport at a time. Football will be easy to top the blue. Round ball in a few as we work on a coach such as Coach BP. Hilltoppers return to the top of the RED kingdom known as Kentucky as in Western Kentucky.

10. Jim
    7:14 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

If Strong had taken the Tennessee job, Petrino would be in Louisville right now.

11. Catfan4444
    7:18 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Props to WKU for having the balls to hire the guy. I still think some SEC schools dropped the ball. I like UKs hiring of this staff but Petrino wouldn’t have been a botched hire.

12. Catlogic15
    7:26 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

All that was missing from this press conference was The Reverend Jim Baker.

13. Steve
    7:27 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

No 7 I thought Arkansas WAS Petrino’s 2nd chance. That would make WKU his 3rd chance.

14. Bea Vis
    7:32 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Stewart said he wanted a “consistent weiner.”

15. Keep rock
    7:33 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

#9 I will give WKU some props. I had no idea just how good Western was in the 60’s. Jim Rose from Hazard led them to a Final Four on his way to being a top 5 draft pick. Anyone who tells you this hire doesn’t put pressure on Barnhart is a lair. Stoops looks like a good hire and I’m happy to have him, but a lot of us wanted Petrino. If Petrino wins and UK doesn’t improve the boo birds will be out for Barnhart.
    Let’s all hope Stoops wins like most of us think he will. Let Petrino win and get his career back on track. Then it will be a happy ending for all. Hell Stoops may right this ship and move on to a better job and Petrino might have success at WKU and replace him here. Stranger things have happened, but let’s hope it doesn’t go south for Stoops or Barnhart will have a nightmare coming his way.

16. bluristhurr
    7:33 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Great hire WKU I’m happy the excitement around the football program will still be here in BG! People complaining about this need to realize this site is called kentucky sports radio and WKU is in Kentucky! Keep up with the updates like you do KSR I’m young and its not hard for me to keep scrolling pass articles I don’t like (not Jerry Tipton)

17. lip set
    7:37 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

3). neither is 90% of our basketball team! are you sorry they chose to come to ky also? petrino will spank both uk and louisville! hope ur tickled with a coach that has never won a game! yea, great hire

18. True Story
    7:47 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

People, Joker is NOT on our sidelines. While I hate the fact that an apparently very remorseful Petrino wasn’t given a shot at UK, I have been doing my homework. Stoops is a tireless… well… EVERYTHING. He built the #2 defense in the country and hired an OC that built the #2 offense. We ARE NOT a Joker team anymore. You people act like Petrino’s invulnerable and never lost a game? NEWSFLASH: JOKER BEAT PETRINO!! ne’er has the man had a perfect season. He is not a football god! Yes, he is a helluva coach and WKU is in for a lot of fun, BUT so is STOOPS and SO ARE WE!

19. Bobby Petrino
    7:49 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

I’ll remember how you [email protected] passed on me. Your [email protected] kicking is coming.

20. The Word
    7:50 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

10. I agree 100%. When Strong leaves, if Petrino dosen’t have an SEC job, he will be the HC.

21. bluefan
    7:54 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Now THAT’S a homerun hire, my friends!

22. Keep Rock
    7:56 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Good for WKU. They do get over looked a lot in this state. 80% or better of the fans think there is only 2 major D1 schools in this state. Me being one of them. The facts are facts and WKU has done a great job moving up into D1. Every one in BBN should respect how quick things are coming to them it only took them about 3 or 4 years to pass UK. If some think last year was a fluke wake up. They had a good team and just beat our ass. Sadly it will take a couple years to catch up to them if we can at all.

23. Ricky Bobby
    7:58 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

We may be the the first loser this coming year (although with all the defections I’m feeling pretty good); but next year we are gonna be THE best Sun belt conference team. Wow I need a smoke…Anybody got a Dorrell?

24. Richard P
    8:05 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Looks like UK will still be 3rd in the state, well unless you count EKU.

25. WKU Slogan
    8:14 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

“He’ll Top Her”

26. Blue Jesus
    8:26 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

I agree, Aaron, with UL in a BCS bowl game, WKU in their first bowl game and having just hired Petrino, and UK’s recent acquisitions, I can’t think of a time when the whole state would be this excited about football in December. It’s pretty neat, really.

27. back burner
    8:30 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

anyone else notice the guy wearing flip flops in the second pic?

28. Keep rock
    8:39 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

#24 Your 100% correct so what. This has been a good off season for all Kentucky schools. Seems like all three have done exactly what they needed to do. All 3 schools play so it will be decided on the field for years to come. Hopefully in a couple of years all 3 will be ranked when they play. Football in this state is looking better then it ever has seems like for the last 15 years that when UK and UL played one was good and the other was down now with Western doing good in D1 we might see some years when all 3 are good the same year. Can’t be nothing but good for all 3 and the state as a whole

29. Wow! Your writing is terrible.
    8:42 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

It’s you’re, not your. How do you write for a website and not know basic grammar?

30. If you can read this shirt...
    8:44 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

the bitch fell off…..follow me and my “hog” on the way to the next gal’s volleyball game. Petrino is such a duche it’s beyond words.

31. Big Blue Fan
    9:24 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

#9
    1st. Western does have the best coach in the state I’ll give props on that wish UK had him. 2nd. You will never compete with UK in basketball as long as coach Cal roams the sidelines. You will noway, nohow ever get the talent to compete in round ball with UK while Cal is at UK>

32. UKBlue1!
    9:33 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to WKU for having the balls to hire a great coach.

33. GoodForThem
    9:43 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to WKU for having enough desperation to hire a scum bag. Best of luck to ya!

34. BBB
    10:06 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

31) Yes Western has the best coach in the state. I REALLY hope at some point in the next 4-5 years we don’t regret not hiring Petrino at UK. Might be a scum bag. But UK has had a crappy football team for MOST of the last 60 years and Petrino was our best (hopefully not last) chance to have a great coach…a winner. And all you morality minded individuals out there (nothing personal, and I understand you, but we weren’t hiring a team minister) you had better be right. Most football coaches have mouths that would make a sailor blush and now we’re concerned about morality? Ever listen to Pitino on the sidelines….sheeesh! You only have to listen to him for oh…say …15 seconds to hear where he is coming from.It would have took [email protected] to hire Petrino at UK and I still think it would have been the right move for UK in the long run.And yes KSR would spin it to cover Mitchs butt and to put the best light on it if they did hire him.

35. The Process
    10:08 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

>>*Petrino took a page out of every coaches’ press conference book and talked about “The Process” a lot. I don’t know what “The Process” is, but it sure is popular.<<

The Process is a freaky 1970s church which enjoyed a revival in the early 2000s. It's quite fascinating, and a great way to waste a few hours online.

Why Bobby Petrino and college football coaches are discussing it, I'll let you conspiracy theorists decide.

36. John
    10:18 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Be prepared to lose to Western for as long as Petrino is there!

37. KY Realist
    10:37 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Strong will bolt for the SEC in 2 or 3 years and unlike Mitch, Jurich will have the testicular fortitude to hire Bobby.

38. Bob P
    10:56 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

I’m already recruitin’ n*gs & ridin’ pigs……You d*ck Stains in Lexington better be glad there is only one more game left on that contract! My ass is runnin’ up the score. When you wanna come to poundtown just let me know!! Now where is bike I got to get to Hilligans

39. Mark Twane
    11:44 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

6. Your a doosh. I love thus site. I realize its aKY sports site and its tilted that way, but who gives a dam about spelling.?? It’s written so fassed it’s basically glorified texting anyways, I jus appreshiate the info, and realize its not an English clas. If you want to grade turm papers go to Kard town and get you’re feel you arrogant maggett!!! You like apples? How’d you like them apples?!

40. Common
    12:00 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

I’m SHOCKED. Seriously SHOCKED. You guys put up this picture of Petrino and didn’t photoshop on a neckbrace????? How can this happen…

41. Beavis
    6:24 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to WKU for having the balls to hire this guy. He will win for you but if you think he will be loyal and a long term coach,,,you are sadly mistaken. Two,,,,three years max you will be looking for another head coach. In the mean time,,,,enjoy the ride.

42. WishItWasUK
    10:03 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

GREAT hire WKU by an AD with enough stones to hire a proven WINNER of a Head Coacha s opposed to yet ANOTHER position Coach. ANYONE remember Choker was a position Coach?????????????
    How well did that hire turn out? Oh yeah,FIRED in third year.

43. CharlieStrong
    10:04 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

ONE SURE bet is I will NEVER stoop so low as to coach the doormat celler dweller of the SEC. Not with 13 other better SEC jobs.

44. REALITY
    10:06 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

#41 Well, by then UK will be looking for another football coach…I hope BarnFart is not in competition with WKU for that hire.

45. Mitchless
    10:47 am December 11, 2012 Permalink

I wish I had a pair to pull off a deal like that. WKU will own the sunbelt and end up in the BCS.

46. Mike Summers
    12:30 pm December 11, 2012 Permalink

I need a job, who do you contact????