Pete Thamel accused of bribing and harassment for Honey Badger story

Pete Thamel took a break from trying to take down student-athletes at the University of Kentucky to try to take down a student-athlete who is having troubles down in Baton Rouge. “Endangered,” an SI cover story on Tyrann Mathieu, was released this week, and, well, it may not exactly be true.  At least one person involved has come forward to say Thamel bribed him into saying things about the Honey Badger.

“This guy from Sports Illustrated, he tried to, first of all, bribe me, so he offered me $2500 just to say things that didn’t take place,” a club promoter told Channel 2 news.

Uh oh. That’s not good for the Thameltoe.

And then there is Thamel’s trespassing and repeated phone calls to the Mathieu family, after they warned him to stay away:

“They called from blocked numbers repeatedly, asking me why I was dodging them,” Tyrone Mathieu said.  “They came to my home and that of my elderly mother on multiple occasions.”

Tyrone Mathieu hired a law firm last week to attempt to stop SI’s interview requests.  The letter from Irpino Law Firm in New Orleans is addressed to Peter Thamel and Sports Illustrated and reads in part, “You have been consistently harassing Mr. Mathieu and his family regarding personal issues. Mr. Mathieu informed you that they have no desire to respond to your inquiries. Despite repeated assertions of this position… you have trespassed on the Mathieu’s property and otherwise violated their privacy… Demand is made that you cease and desist from any attempts at making contact with Mr. Mathieu or any member of his family.”

Sheila Mathieu calls the article “unfortunate” and says she can’t understand why Sports Illustrated would respond so viciously to a family’s decision to keep private matters private.

“They twisted things and cobbled together details from past articles because we wouldn’t sit down with them,” she told FOX 8 Sports.  “We have always believed in being a tight-knit family. God first, family second, work and school third. That’s what Tyrann is doing now, and he’s on an avenue to success, making good grades and putting his life in order.”

As Kentucky fans, we already question Thamel’s journalistic integrity and standards, but this story from LSU is opening everyone else’s eyes to Thamel’s malicious ways of getting his story. If the bribery allegations are true, his days could be numbered.

It’s about time.

(via Friends of the Program)

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Pete Thamel accused of bribing and harassment for Honey Badger story

1. Scott Cooper
    11:52 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Boycott SI!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Big Blue B-Rad
    11:56 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Yes, and I’m sure he still thinks he’s a distinguished journalist.

3. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

I would love to see someone hit this ogre with a multimillion lawsuit for defamation of character. Next on the hid list could be Forde and after that I would love to see a school (Memphis?) nail the NCAA for the double standard that they put forth.

4. Stone Cold Willard Romney
    11:56 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Is this shocking at all?

5. Pete Thamel
    11:57 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

I decided to take a break from digging through Noel’s dumpster to branch out a little bit. See how much that cost me! Noel & Calipari you’ll pay for this!!

6. asdf
    11:57 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

I hate the Honey Badger name. Could anything sound lamer? It sounds like a mash-up of “Honey Boo Boo” and the Turtleman…

7. TheDecker
    12:00 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Imagine that

8. Experienced
    12:00 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Karma exists.

9. Eric Bledsoe
    12:02 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

The National Enquirer would be a better place for bribin’ Pete… he’s a hack writer and a blatant liar.

10. portlandky
    12:03 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

He’s the booby night of writers (well at least a tie with forde). They are all GRADE A #1 bastards (would say SOB’s, but I doubt their mothers raised them to be total jerk-offs). Hope all 3 lose their so-called jobs & wind up sleeping in homeless shelters for the next few years until death do they part.

11. SW52
    12:03 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Pete Thamel molests dogs.

12. BAdams
    12:04 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

True journalists should be appalled and Thamel should be fired to never work for a major sports journal again. This is disgusting, but we all knew he was terrible anyway. Its amazing how back in the day sports writers and athletes were buddies, riding trains together, keeping things private and then one day someone gets exposure for breaking a story and it changed for ever. Thamel is a disgrace and I would love to read some nasty pieces on him destroying all credibility and proving what we have said about him all along…he’s a joke!

13. Bob Day
    12:04 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

“Endagered” [???] Drew, fix your typo.

14. truth
    12:10 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

You have to play dirty if you want to catch slick dirtbags like the cal’s and world wide wes’s of the world.

15. AMIRITE
    12:12 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

glad i’m not thameltoe’s ex-girlfriend. i’m sure he takes stalking to a different level

16. hooch
    12:13 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Honey Badger has a mother that’s ‘elderly’? How old is this guy? Or, badger, I mean.

17. J A Brooks
    12:14 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

We all know nothing is going to happen to “Pissin on kids” Pete. This stuff is good for business. Sure its untrue, totally lacks integrity, and borders on criminal behavior, but its good for business.

18. KadizKat
    12:14 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

I don’t always support breaking the law, but when I do, I hope it is Pete Thamel that is doing it (and that he gets caught).

19. J A Brooks
    12:15 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

14) and the innocent college kids who refuse to talk to you right? They deserve to be “played dirty with?”

20. BluesClues
    12:21 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

The best part is he did this all to himself. Just another facet of evil…Greed. His delusional lack of self-awareness and total disregard for the respect of another human beings rights has led him to believe that his job of hate-mongering and slander is going buy the wayside. I haven’t reae SI in over ten years, cover to cover, we as fans with computers can do just about everything they do with their pictures that come out a week to late. Its worthless except to a few lazy and old people who wont click a mouse to see their up to date news, from many unbiased sources also. I just wonder how much SI is pushing FramerToe or if hes just beyonds the empathy respect and forgiveness that we all have a God given right to expect. People make mistakes by design. If we didn’t everything would be perfect… but their would also be no competition….no diversity…he tries to live in a bubble world where he hasn’t done wrong so he hunts others that have. Worst plan ever cuz now everyone knows how you do to others. His golden rule is way off and maybe SI’s too, we’ll see. GO CATS

21. tonydelksarms
    12:24 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

career killer

22. Yngvie Maumsteen.
    12:25 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

This guy’s a chit stain.

23. Chi-TownCat
    12:29 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

I canceled my subscription to SI as soon as they hired this dirtbag and wont ever subscribe again…even if they offer the new madden game..which was the only reason I subscribed in the first place…I think KSR should do an “investigative report” on this pos

24. Big Blue Coming at You
    12:31 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

This is what happens when you have no integrity and will do anything for a story. We as UK fans already knew what a real POS Thamel is and he will get what he deserves.

25. GD
    12:33 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

16 – That quote came from Tyrone Mathieu, not Tyrann. Probably honey badger’s grandma.

26. HAHAHA
    12:37 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Love it!!! Off to go bash him on twitter.

27. Maxbps8
    12:41 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Wow…SI builds a great reputation over decades of hard work by great journalists and Thamel nearly destroys it all w/ ONE story. AND…what idiot editor puts it in print and ON THE FRONT PAGE? They’re asking to get blown up. UNC’s journalism school sucks.

28. Scotty Sharp
    1:13 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

I’m not the type to wish ill will upon somebody, but Thameltoe is a rare exception.

29. TippyTip
    1:14 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

and now you can leave Thamel a tip for an interesting story.. [email protected]

I just left mine…

30. bluetooth
    1:16 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

thats gotta be some kind of criminal offense offerering a bribe for false information . at the least it would be cause for a civil action . what about it matt ?

31. Hal
    1:28 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

it appears karma has gone from a b**** to a fine piece of tail today.

32. HackRichards
    1:48 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

AMEN BROTHERS & SISTERS!

33. HackRichards
    1:50 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

I still think Enes should sue his azz.

34. yab
    2:04 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Can Mike Slive just pull this idiots credentials at all SEC sporting events?

35. yodel
    2:41 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

That’d be “accused of bribery and harassment.” But we would never expect Drew to understand the difference between a noun and a verb.

36. Head Bussa
    3:01 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

It’s his grandma they are talking about as she and her husband raised Tyrann. His father is in prison for life for multiple murders and his mom was a extremely bad drug addict who did nothing for him.

37. Head Bussa
    3:10 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

After his grandfather died, his uncle took over fatherly duties and that is the Tyrone Mathieu referenced in the article.

38. Dave in Bangkok
    4:46 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

This guy has mental issues.

Time for some tar and feathers to run this guy out of town.

39. Thameltoe
    5:03 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

What a shame… couldn’t happen to a bigger piece of shit. I hope he gets ran over by a tractor trailer.

40. Akylady
    6:28 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

As I said a few years ago, Neuter Thamel!

41. Mark
    8:26 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Considering how many powerful people that this douche has screwed with over the last few years, I would say that this will not “blow over”. When there is blood in the water the Sharks will come. We may not publicly be aware of it, but I promise some of his more influential victims will ensure his ass answers for these allegations.

42. JS
    10:38 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

What law organization goes after someone like him? I would assume S.I. has to many lawyers in there back pockets for anyone to do anything to him!!! I hope he gets jail time for this, if he is guilty.

43. CatSinceBirth
    7:36 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

If for no other reason, I would file “Bullying” charges against Thamel. He was asked to stop and he kept it up. My hate list consists of Bob Knight,Pete Thamel, that POS at the Herald Leader whose name I even refuse to mention, and Chester Forte. I can live with some of the other scum of the profession, but I’m not sure you can actually call it a profession. I would put them one spot below prostitution.