Perkins down to five schools, won’t wait for UK offer if it doesn’t come soon

Only UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga, UConn and Kentucky remain for Josh Perkins, his father told sNY.tv today. The 6-foot-2 point guard will narrow that list down to one on August 25 once he arrives at Huntington Prep for his senior season. The Wildcats are squarely in the mix but Perkins won’t wait around for an official offer from Calipari.

“Kentucky is the one that’s kind of weird,” Randy Perkins said in the phone interview. “There’s no official offer. But I will tell you this, we’re not going to wait for an official offer. If the 25th comes and there’s no offer then he will not be going there.”

The elder Perkins also told sNY.tv that it’s unlikely his son will be a package deal with Rashad Vaughn.

[ZagsBlog]

Article written by Drew Franklin

47 Comments for Perkins down to five schools, won’t wait for UK offer if it doesn’t come soon

1. ee
    4:02 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Feel free to go then young man, don’t think Coach Cal will be help hostage with a recruit saying “you must give em an offer by X date”. Cal is the alpha here, not you…..

2. Jeff Garlin
    4:04 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if he’s related to David Perkins, former basketball coach in Rockcastle County?

3. UK Wildcat
    4:05 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Yeah…giving Cal an ultimatum isn’t the way to get an offer.

4. Hacksaw Jim Duggin
    4:06 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no! Whatever will the Cats do!

5. beavis606
    4:07 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Well…..bye!

6. DREWBLUE
    4:08 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

That might be the biggest basketball I’ve ever seen.

7. Eric
    4:09 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Just a guess, but he will probably end up at UCLA or Minn. UK will get Mundiay, Lyles, Johnson, Turner, Towns, and Alexander. Guessing here, but I think we end up losing both Harrison’s, Randle, WCS, Poythress, and Polson. That gives you the 6 scholarships needed.

8. Richard B
    4:11 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

He will if it is a true player first program……young man can’t wait forever for a offer that may or may not come…good luck young man………wherever you go….

9. Mack
    4:17 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

What? Is this some sort of joke?

10. J in Orlando
    4:17 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

8 Players first program has nothing to do with having to wait and see some bball to determine who may leave/how many schollies will be available. lol

11. bloobloodcat
    4:18 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

who?

12. J in Orlando
    4:19 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I think a lot of people who post here really do believe Calipari has engineered who will go pro after one year…he has no idea who will actually go…if you had asked him at the beginning of every season who will go and he answered honestly, he would not have been correct even once.

13. Brian
    4:20 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

See this before. A kid’s father is impatient, Cal stops recruiting his kid, kid chooses another school, then ends up ineligible. Go Cats!

14. Goodbye Perkins!
    4:21 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Are you kidding me???????? Not only is that a BAD move on his dads part, but his dad speaking for him and lashing out like that will cause him major problems down the road. NBA gms and college coaches shy away from players with familiy members that run their mouth on the players behalf. GOODYE PERKINS. Nice knowing you.

15. niaps
    4:29 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Perkins a name to remember because you may Never hear it again.

16. Good times
    4:40 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Not sure why, but this dude reminds me of a young Mr. Jones (Willie) from Friday. BBQ so good, makes you want to slap your mamma.

17. Kristen Geil's Abs
    4:41 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

If you want to play at UK, you have to wait until at least mid season to know what’s going to happen with the current players. Not only that, but the top 5 guys should almost always wait until the very end to commit. It’s the first part of their PR game. The longer you wait, the more times your name shows up on ESPN.

18. Sky Robbie
    4:43 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Who is this kid? Whats his Dad smoking? Wouldn’t want to have to deal with this Dad. I am sure Cal got shook up over this ultimatum. Good luck at whatever school you select!!!

19. Obummer
    4:45 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Bummer…….

20. MemphisCat
    4:45 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Saul Smith, I think he ends up at Minny with Tubby.

21. BiloxiGuy25
    4:47 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I hate when people say Coach Cal doesn’t develope NBA players because they would be NBA players anyway. Using that logic, Harvard doesn’t lawyers because these students would be great lawyers if they attended any school. MIT does not develope computer scientist because these students would be great programmers and designers if they attended any school. You can be great but still need polishing.

22. big Dog
    4:48 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

We’ll take the #1 PG instead…tell your dad to shut up…

23. Sid Farkas
    4:54 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal can get to the NIT with him or without him

24. C.A.T.S.
    4:56 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

20. If he ends up in Minny it won’t be with Tubby!

25. tdogg40330
    4:56 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

23 = DOUCHE BAG !!!!

26. DH
    5:01 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

How was that an ultimatum? The kid wants to make his decision before school starts. Obviously if UK doesn’t offer he won’t be a Cat. It’s not like he told Cal, “If I don’t get an offer from you by the 25th, I’m not coming to your school.” It was a phone interview which means he was asked questions. Those were his answers. If he had held a press conference to announce that UK better offer a scholly to his son by 8/25 OR ELSE, then I could see why it would be weird. He’s basically saying that his son wants to go to UK, but if they don’t offer, he has to move on. People get their feathers ruffled over the smallest things

27. IsRichieGonnaPlayTonight
    5:04 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I am surprised he still hold us in his top five without an offer. I am really surprised we have not offered him to be honest. He would play a limited role as a backup this year and we would have him for the next season since the 2015 class is limited on good point guards.

28. 3cats
    5:14 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

you are correct! you will not be coming to Kentucky if you don’t have an offer. Because you don’t have an offer!

29. NYteacher
    5:17 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

U of K, you do NOT want this kid, or his dad. I repeat, let this one ‘get away’.

30. john john
    5:20 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Yawn !

31. DH
    5:21 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

29) Why do you say that? All I know about the kid is he plays basketball. Why doesn’t UK want him? I assume you’re referring to some off-the-court issue.. Please elaborate

32. DH
    5:25 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

BTW, if drake and edgar sosa had a kid together, i imagine he’d look a lot like josh perkins

33. ukguru
    5:27 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like he really, really, really wants an offer from UK and his dad is trying to push the issue. Don’t beg. If you good enough Cal will call you.

34. DC cat
    5:33 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Omg. So the kd (and/or his dad) want to make a decision by the start of school. Why the need to be so critical / harsh? I know nothing about this kid. What I do know is that several posters here really are rediculous. What good do you think your bashing really does for the program?

35. DH
    5:42 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

34) I don’t get it, either.

36. Blueswade
    5:49 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I still have eligibility left…..
    I am personally giving Coach Calipari til the end of the month to offer me a scholarship too.
    If he doesn’t, I guess I’ll just continue to sit in my easy chair and watch TV.

37. MadTex
    6:01 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think Cal is the least bit worried about what this “punk” will do. In fact, if anything, the “punk” made it easier for Cal to look elsewhere which he was doing anyway.

38. cracka
    6:04 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

agree with tdogg and dh …

39. kojo
    6:10 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of Chris Walker (who still isn’t NCAA eligible for Florida). PASS!

40. smoke and mirrors
    6:34 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Why does he have to be a punk? What has he done to deserve that? The kid didn’t say anything as far as stated. I wish we would all lighten up on these 17 year old kids. Not throwing rocks at anyone, just hate to see kids judged for what the parents say or do. I am focusing on how awesome out team will be, not any negatives.

41. Go To Your Room
    6:59 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

How do you narrow your schools to five and include one that hasn’t offered you a scholarship? Sorry dude, Cal’s got bigger fish to catch!

42. jim
    7:05 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

SO?

43. LA
    7:09 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Uh, maybe cal dont think he is good enough to play at UK. Maybe cal thinks he reminds him of Harrow. If cal really thought he wanted him he would have offered by now. the kid should take that as a sign, also needs to tell his dad to shut the hell up.

44. a-hole
    7:39 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Some of you guys are jerks. The kid has been nothing but classy and positive. Nothing he can do if he doesn’t have an offer. Lighten up.

45. Katdaddy
    9:30 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Is Hood coming back? Haven’t heard anything about him in a while.

46. BigBlueVein
    9:32 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

#23…..keep telling yourself that…you scared?….well you should be.

47. Kevin C.
    1:02 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Let’s be honest here: just looking at the other schools on that list, he’s not UK caliber. I think he knows that, or he’d have his sights set higher across the board.