Paying Tribute To A Campus Legend

Shoutout to J-Bram for taking this pic behind heavy tears.

Shoutout to J-Bram for taking this pic behind heavy tears.

I don’t know how she did it, but a big shoutout to J-Bram for taking this pic behind heavy tears.

For those that attended the University of Kentucky, many groggy mornings were spent inside the disgusting grease-trap known as K-Lair. From 1961-2013, K-Lair’s triple cheeseburgers, cheese fries, and onion rings carried enough grease to give a small horse a heart attack, but something about the dingy place made it the best of the best. I was lucky enough to see it before they ruined it with renovation and a new menu, but I’ll never forget how spicy those chicken fingers were, or that you needed at least 3 cups of ranch per styrofoam to-go container. I cannot bring deliciousness back, but I can pay tribute to the place that caused thousands to reach their Freshmen 15 destiny. We cannot mourn with tears, we must remain joyful with laughter (that’s what K-Lair would have wanted), so today I am giving you Kentucky Football’s “All-Name” Team. These names are all 100% real, just like those delicious hamburger patties. Before I get too hungry, these are the best of the best that you will be seeing on the field before too long.

Fall 2013 All-Name Team

– Bookie Cobbins

– Mister Cobble

–  Teven Eatmon-Nared, or as we like to call him ‘TEN’

– John “Big Jack” Gruenschlaeger (I prefer the spelling “Grubbenshlazenheisenstausein”)

– “DJ” Khalid Henderson

– Farrington Huguenin

– Shaquille Love

– Kadeem “Pancho” Thomas (Don’t ask how he got the nickname Pancho, because it is the furthest thing from politically correct)

– Javess ‘Bleeds’ Blue

– Jaleel Hytchye

– Za’Darius Smith

Class of 2014 Honorable Mentions (Not all are commits)

– Jarrett LaRubbio (I can’t say his name without yelling ‘BANG-A-RANG’ in search for my childhood leader Ruffio)

– Thaddeus ‘Bluegrass’ Snodgrass

– Shyquawn Pulliam (his name was the straw that broke the camel’s back for this post, send your thanks his way)

– Stanley “Boom” Williams (One of the few quotation marked nicknames that I didn’t make up, he really goes by BOOM)

– Derek “Chief” Kief

– Braxton “Honey Nut” Berrrios

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

41 Comments for Paying Tribute To A Campus Legend

1. josh
    2:12 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

I’ll never look at a steak hoagie the same!!

2. geeez
    2:14 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

god damn spaghetti night was the tits

3. Sad
    2:16 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

A lot of memories.

4. Ridge Runner
    2:24 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

damn… they ought to leave a grease pit for ole times sake at least. Kinda like a hot spring in Yellowstone -complete with a marker and all.
    🙁

5. Kentuckrazy
    2:31 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Can still feel those grilled honey buns toasting my inside, and I can still see the result on my outside!

6. Mike
    2:33 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Elam is gonna be pissed

7. Meal Plan
    2:35 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

First semester forty.

8. Prreston
    2:36 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Many memories indeed.

4) As you often say in here, I hear ya!

9. DH
    2:38 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

It’s been over a decade since I lived in Hagan Hall. So long ago that I can’t remember how to spell it… But I’ll never forget K-Lair’s sausage pizza. Made with real breakfast sausage. Gotta love it!

10. brandon
    2:43 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

very well written article! I miss klair already

11. Adolph Rollingover
    2:46 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

lived in Haggin Hall in 1988 and graduated in 1992 and I have never forgotten the K-Lair Sausage pizza.

12. D
    2:48 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

’83 resident Hagan Hall. My family still calls for Chili WO (without) TO GO!

13. Josh
    2:55 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

wonder how I could get a brick from the Klair?

14. Scott
    3:01 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Many fond memories from Haggin Hall, especially grilled Honnies & pinball at the K-Lair grill.

15. DB11
    3:34 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

RIP to my fav place to eat as a freshman

16. ajh
    3:38 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

This is terrible. I loved those chicken strips n fries.

17. peb
    3:46 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

sad day indeed. the milkshakes, spicy chicken fingers, shrimp dinners, fish sandwiches, and grilled honey buns were legendary.

18. z28_zeppelin
    3:54 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

This place practically wore out my student ID.

19. 7mm-08
    4:00 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

They ruined K Lair a few years ago. It never was the same after Cathy retired and they sold the chili recipe anyway.

20. Bones
    4:48 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Many,many fond memories of K Lair and Haggin Hall. I wrote dozens of $2 checks to K Lair in 68/69, most of them for Chili Dogs. Thanks for the picture and the momentary flashback.

21. Chewy
    5:37 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Grilled Cheese with Bacon! Breakfast of Champions!

22. mlvei
    5:46 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Lived in Haggin Hall in 69-70. What I liked at the K-Lair was it was next to the parking lot so when we parked there “under the weather” we could quickly get something to eat. Also, you could get something on the way to classes as you walked past the parking structure. Of course, as freshmen, we couldn’t have a car back then, or you could quietly park it where Commonwealth Stadium now is as it was then a pasture full of overflow parking!

23. lesigh
    6:20 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Lived in Haggin during the 94-95 school year. K-Lair protected my window from people seeing me sneak girls in for “studying.” It was also the place I buried my misery from the Curry era football losses. RIP K-Lair.

24. wide tackle 5.9
    6:22 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Was there 88-92. Just remember the roast beef special. White bread, meat, and gravy!!!
    The triad of decadence!!!!

25. UK Cat in FL
    6:24 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Any other 76-77 Hagan Hall residents out there? They also has a small personal pizza in this era that was pretty good – or “good enough”, actually. I seem to remember the meal plans being some sort of ticket or sticker torn out of a booklet or something.

Trying to get the north/south perspective of this, and from the angle of Hagan Hall in the back ground, it appears that the photo is looking toward the south east. I haven’t been back there in 30+ years, but I don’t remember the circle drive – I thought the road went straight through.

26. Monkey
    6:42 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Haggin Hall, Class of ’93. Honey Bun and large Mt Dew every morning for breakfast on the way to class and a KLair grease burger for lunch on the way back! They should build a monument to it or something.

27. NYCWildcat
    7:22 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

KLair was the best place to eat on campus. The fries with the seasoned salt. The spicy chicken strips. (The burgers kinda sucked, but I probably ate ten of them a week)

28. CatGrad7072
    7:32 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

1966: K-Lair Honey Buns and “Stubborn Kinda Fella’ on the juke box. Yes, I should have been hitting the books but ……. .

29. A real G
    7:34 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Had 3 meal swipes to spare on the last day of the semester so I got a triple cheeseburger, a grilled cheese and buffalo chicken tenders with 6 sides. It was the greatest/saddest meal ever. I’d like to think I sent k Lair out with a bang.

30. ACD
    7:56 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m not surprised to see most people here with fond memories of K-Lair attended UK before campus went “dry.” I lived in Blanding III and spent 3 years in a fraternity house right next-door, never went once on my own accord. (Only when freshman with meal plans offered to pay.) Food was subpar at best, prices were ridiculous if you didn’t have a meal plan, and they didn’t serve beer. I sure would have loved to have seen that area of campus during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. RIP K-Lair, you had a good run.

31. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:33 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Lived in Haggin Hall in 2001 and worked at K-Lair from 2001-2002. Spicy chicken finger and fries were the best dinner. I loved the french toast in the mornings. So freaking good.

Still got Tolly Ho tho. Cheddar tots anyone??

32. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:28 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

The fact that it was such a greasy spoon that look like it was from 60’s made it special.

33. Lair legends
    10:06 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Worked there early 80’s. the grilled honey buns, gr cheese w/bacon and the famous roast beef. You shall be missed.

34. Still high washing dishes
    10:17 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

R. I. P. worked at k-lair 03-05.. Saved my life and fed me through those couple years.. The mackenieze burger and smoothie machine will live forever in my heart.

35. Jrod
    10:50 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

00-05 UK Grad. Part of UK history, good memories, and bad heart burn for all that attended. Sad to see the old place go.

36. Class of 81
    11:37 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Lived in Haggin Hall 77-78. Chilli WO and a Mello. That area around campus is gone forever. Thank goodness the Ho is still around

37. TCBMan
    1:25 am June 6, 2013 Permalink

I went to UK in the late 90s. I loved the K-Lair. The K-Lair had the best spicy chicken tenders ever. The french toast was awesome too. I always looked forward to Sunday night when those were served. That picture up top definitely brought tears to my eyes.

38. IndyCat644
    9:10 am June 6, 2013 Permalink

As a freshman at Haggin in 2001 (A322) I ate so many grilled cheese and bacon. Still remember on my visit when the guy in front of us ordered maters on his sandwich and my dad and I still laugh about it to this day. Great times.

39. makeup jessica alba
    9:36 am June 6, 2013 Permalink

Really it is a terrific along with handy section of information. I’m delighted that you simply distributed this handy info along with us. You should be us knowledgeable like that. We appreciate you sharing.

40. 3 fan
    9:53 am June 6, 2013 Permalink

Lived in Haggin in 88-89 and worked at K-Lair for three years. Greatest group of co-workers you could ask for. Always worked evenings/sundays when Doug McKenzie ran the place. Man, I feel old now. K-Lair was awesome!

41. Shannon
    10:41 am June 6, 2013 Permalink

Fond memories of stopping into K-Lair on Friday afternoons freshman year for a Fried Shrimp Dinner with hush puppies and french fries with the best seasoning salt around. Not sure how I gained all that weight…