Paula Bozich Hits His Latest Rock Bottom

BMlr-vYCEAAU_S8.jpg-large

If you listened to the radio show today, I talked at some length about the silly “controversy” yesterday generated by UL fan sites (and fans on twitter) over Mitch Barnhart’s allegedly dismissive comments about UL Athletics Department’s historic year. Here was the supposedly outrageous thing Barnhart said at a meeting of the UK Board of Trustees:

“They’ve had a nice year. At the end of the day, they’ve done some things in their major sports and they should be congratulated on that. They’ve had a nice year. At the end of the day, the depth of our program is pretty good. They’ve had a really nice year in their major sports. The depth of our program though, I think, it outstanding.”

What pray tell was outrageous about that? Was it the line “they should be congratulated on that”? Was it the comment (true by the way) that the depth of UK’s program was good this year (although the major sports were down)? Was it the use of the word “nice”? Who knows but Louisville fans were outraged. Even though this comment was made after a meeting of the UK Board of Trustees (who by the way are Mitch Barnhart’s bosses and who one would expect Mitch wants to impress), Louisville fan sites and fans were very upset that Barnhart wasn’t more effusive in his praise. I made fun of that mindset and noted that it was the classic “Little Brother” mentality. It isn’t good enough to have success (and unfortunately for us, UL had a ton of success last year), but you need Big Brother to say you had success. “PLEASE BIG BROTHER…TELL ME WE ARE THE BEST…NO TELL ME AGAIN AND SAY IT NICER THIS TIME!” The need for daddy’s approval was hilarious to me.

But with that said, those are fan sites and fans. As fans, we talk trash and occasionally obsess over our rivals. But we are fans. But what about objective journalists? They should be above that right? Objective journalists should show no fan loyalty and just do their jobs…and to be fair, many try to do. But not our man Rick “Paula Deen” Bozich. Today, unbelievably, Rick Bozich wrote the same whiny comment, suggesting Barnhart hadn’t been classy in his answer. (I hesitate to link the article and give hits, but it is necessary to discuss). Writing for WDRB.com (MOTTO: “We are one of the four best television stations in Louisville that start with a ‘W'”), Bozich writes the same essential column that major UL fan site “Card Chronicle” did, but with less skill and wit. He gives Barnhart a few perfunctory compliments (including one that isn’t even true, calling Barnhart a “master fund-raiser”…the one skill that he actually isn’t the best at…showcasing that Deen is as uninformed as he is biased) and then says:

Mitch Barnhart had a nice opportunity to show he understood that sportsmanship is more than a talking point when he was asked about Louisville’s remarkable year. He whiffed.

According to Bozich, what Barnhart should have said was not that UL had a nice year and should be congratulated but instead,

Great for them — and great for us. Great for them because of the attention it brings to our great state, that we’re not just a basketball state. Both schools have teams in a many sports that are really, really good. Their success is also great for us because it keeps us on our toes, working harder. We’re going to get there, too. That’s always been our goal — and always will be.

Yes you read that correctly…Bozich wanted the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR AT UK to say that UL having success is what makes Kentucky try to achieve its goals. Now honestly Rick, does anyone think that the UK Athletic Director, or for that matter ANY Athletic Director, is going to say that? Does anyone believe Tom Jurich would say that after a UK historic season? NO! That isn’t his job…his job is to man the UK Athletic Department, build it and go forward…not stroke UL’s ego. Surely Deen knows that, but for whatever reason, he doesn’t care.

I understand that some (not all) UL fans can showcase “Little Brother” syndrome…rather than just succeeding, they need validation from UK fans and writers. I get it…we can laugh about it, but I get it. But for Paula Bozich to feel the same way? That shocks me. I remember back in the day, when a column from Rick Bozich in the Courier Journal could change the course of conversation in the Commonwealth. Now we are left with this fan boy drivel on a local television station website by a writer who might as well get a Tom Jurich tattoo on his back to signify his undying loyalty. The mighty have fallen, and we don’t need Mitch Barnhart to confirm that unfortunate truth.

Article written by Matt Jones

46 Comments for Paula Bozich Hits His Latest Rock Bottom

1. MADARCHITECT
    7:10 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Louisville has fan sites?

2. MADARCHITECT
    7:11 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Oh yeah…. Ummmm….

3. James
    7:11 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This fake contreversy is ridiculous. UofL fans are morons and Mike Rutherford is their fearless leader.

4. OneAndDone
    7:25 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Somebody just got bitchslapped!

5. HumanKevinJones
    7:33 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

How long before somebody creates the @BozichsULTrampStamp parody account?

6. South American Point Guard
    7:35 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Why does anyone pay attention to this turd?

7. Lakesidecatsfan
    7:39 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

The last line, we’re going to get there too…..what tha!? What is he thinking? We will be as good as UL? Haha

8. BK in Scottsville
    7:40 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Never look at anything he writes

9. Greg's thoughts
    7:40 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

If Doyle doesn’t understand this rivalry, guess he’s scrathing his head or something during this “brother” trolling!

10. Nespapers and Televisions
    7:41 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Loserville has Paula Bozich, Lexington has Tipturd!!!

11. Gary Wells
    7:41 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I LAUGH at columnists like Bozich and Story that criticize AD Mitch Barnhart for his comments, calling Louisville’s sports year, merely “nice.”

I’m 66 years old,a native of Kentucky, Whitley County, and, no Matt, I’m not a communist.I now live in Tennessee, after 30 years in Ohio.

I go back to the days when we didn’t play Louisville in football and basketball, and, I liked it just fine. I hated Louisville, then, and I hate them more every day. Now I don’t hate any individual because I don’t know a single person, coach, or player. But, I do hate the name
    Louisville, the collective term that’s all inclusive. Well, maybe, I do actually hate Rick Pitino for being the traitor that threw away the love, admiration, and adulation that folks like me had for him at one time.

I hate Louisville because I had to put up with the whining Denny Crum back in the 1980s.
    I hate Louisville because I had to put up with Jock Sutherland on WHAS radio spitting out venomous comments about Kentucky and Joe Hall on that big 50000 watt blow torch when that was the only Wildcat news I could get.

I would love to see Kentucky quit playing Louisville in football, basketball, and any other sport, including marbles. They need us. We don’t need them, and in reality, in my humble opinion, playing them helps them too much, and,not wanting to help them, I propose NOT playing them AT ALL.

Beating Louisville serves no practical purpose. It’s like farting. All it does is gives you a little relief.

Matt, being a fellow Eastern Kentuckian, I’m proud of your stance many times in defending
    the Wildcats and the state of Kentucky.

Mitch, well said, they had a “nice” year.

Keep up the good work.

12. Rei
    7:43 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

they have had a nice year though. It isn’t like everyone is gonna suck UL’s bird for it.

13. Brian
    7:56 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Louisville fans and Rick Bozich are retards. I hate them so very much. What a pathetic controversy. This post sums it up nicely. That is all…

14. Sammydog
    7:59 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Gary Wells…I am with you on this. However, I think the legislature forced the issue didn’t they?

15. dave
    8:09 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

“We’re going to get there, too. That’s always been our goal – and always will be”
    the smallness of his comments are just… wow and the mindset is baffling.
    barnhart shouldve said uk is aiming for uofl and to “get there” since that’s uk’s goal the AD should say that publicly????

16. FatBlueKid
    8:18 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

#11 has the post of the year in my opinion. People who have seen my posts no, minus people getting hurt, it would be the greatest thing ever if Louisville just got obliterated off the face of the Earth. It is a Dirty Evil City. High Crime in one part, a bunch of stuck up Yankees in another part and all in all, not one person in that filthy city has the kind of values of a TRUE Kentuckian. I am sorry for my views and I know there are plenty of Cat fans up there but I am calling it how I see it.

I am tired of Tom Jurich, I am tired of Charlie Strong, Rick Pitino, Dan McDonald, Jim Waltz, the City and all the arrogant people up there that act like without the city, we would crumble. So far from the truth, I wish people would do their research. That Arena has been the biggest debt hole that us good folks have to pay for. I for one, have not been there in 13 years and I Ain’t going back for anything. So why should someone in Knox Co. have to pay for that. So unfair.

17. STATS
    8:27 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Mitch’s comment weren’t all that incorrect when he said hat UK was better as far as depth. As you can see here, UK had an advantage in most sports, just not the major ones. Just a note here: look at how UK dominated the Track/XC matchups, I guess that’s why Mitch invested so much in that program with them taking up 6 sports. Also, our Tennis team absolutely kills theirs and even in the really successful sports they’ve had this year, the head to head match ups have been really close and even a couple such as men’s soccer and women’s basketball have gone UK’s way. Also some of the head to were interestingly close such as basketball (3 points before Nerlens went out) and a 1-1 split for the series in baseball. They’ve had a great year, we’ve had a terrible one, a look at how close we’ve still been to them in a lot of areas.

Advantage UK
    Women’s XC: Kentucky 4th, UL 44th at regionals H2H: UK

Draw
    Softball: UK: Super-regional UL: Regional H2H: UL
    Men’s Golf: Neither in top 50 rankings of Golfweek H2H: N/A
    Volleyball: UK: Round of 16 UL: Round of 32 H2H:UL
    Women’s Basketball: UK: Top 8 UL Second H2H: UK by 1
    -the only reason I put this as a draw, but with a UofL lean, is because UK lost to eventual national champions who beat UK by 30 and Louisville by 33. AND UK won the Head to Head
    Men’s XC: UK 12th in region UL 10t H2H: UL at regional
    -Hard to tell from a close regional finish

Advantage UL
    Football: UL 13th, UK…. H2H: UofL
    Basketball: UL: 1st, UK 52nd (BPI) H2H: UofL by 3
    UK Baseball: Failed to make round of 64, UL: Top 8 H2H: 1-1 for year (Draw)
    Men’s Swimming and Diving: UK: 22nd, UL 11th H2H: UL
    Women’s Swimming and Diving: neither ranked H2H: UL
    MEn’s Soccer: UL: Round of 8, UK: round of 64 H2H: UK

I found some looking at the combination of postseason finishes to Head to Head matchups extremely interesting in that UK didn’t do all that bad in the head to head matchups in sports that UL has had so much success in. EXCEPTION: football. Plus, he was right, they killed us mainly in major sports this year. No big difference in the others.

18. Kevin
    8:37 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Sortof like how all UK fans were supposed to root for UL to win the NCAA Championship. Did we see them putting on UK blue in 2012? Did I care that they did not become UK fans? No, because I don’t want them becoming UK fans!

19. Cat Fan in Georgia
    8:38 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

18 – As a transplanted Louisvillian (and a life-long UK fan) I’ve got to tell you that the “Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn’t need the city of Louisville” line is pretty tiresome and totally wrong. If the city of Louisville, and its tax base, were to magically disappear, Kentucky would be in a world of hurt and the state budget would be unmanageable. Like it or not, those Louisville tax dollars do a lot to support the rest of the state.

20. kentuckyjoe
    8:49 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

It definitely wasn’t outrageous but dismissive sounds like a good adjective for what he said. Confusing, jumbled, and repetitive also come to mind. What would it hurt to have given higher praise to Louisville’s season? Or any team’s season for that matter. Here is a simple fact; nothing Mitch Barnhart says will effect the season they had, or the seasons they will have. So, knowing that, why not be more effusive in praise. I think some refer to it as ‘taking the high road’.

21. kramer
    8:52 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

If I remember correctly I don’t think Jurich gushed about how great UK was when we won in 2012. His response was a generic as Mitch’s. I normally don’t agree with anything Dave Jennings says on the Afternoon Underdogs, but today he was giving Vanetti crap for whining about what Mitch said. Jennings asked Tony would you feel better if he came up and hugged you and kissed you on the mouth, so you knew he really cared!! Basically saying be happy with your success, stop trying to make others say how great you are,so you can be happy!

22. Wild Blue
    8:53 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Well said, Gary Wells. I agree that UK is in a losing situation, even if they win, playing Louisville in all sports. Playing Louisville has no practical purpose for UK. The media and legislature pressured UK back in the 80’s to play basketball and C. M. Newton helped Schnellenberger and UL by agreeing to start the football series. Playing UL only helps UL get the exposure of defeating the flagship university of the state and an SEC school. UK is in a must win situation every time they play. Bosich and others in the media know this and stir the pot to make UK look bad.

23. Judy
    9:02 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

#11 I agree with everything you said 100%. It was spot on. Now if only our fan base would just totally ignore the scumbag birds maybe they would go away permanently.

24. JBCat
    9:26 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Kudos to all chiming in on this disgusting piece of drivel by Bozo-ich, especially #11 and #18, good job guys.
    This whole non-controversy is typical UL. They, no matter what kind of success they have that can stand on its on, still resort to the “hey, look at what we did” and bash UK mentality. It is absolutely disgraceful and embarrassing to themselves and their university.
    What do they expect? Does anybody remember the ass-kissing that Jurich gave us last year for winning the NC? Yeah, me neither…

25. plbutcher
    9:26 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Wait until they have a bad year and then they won’t want to hear ANYBODY’S opinion.

26. Just saying
    9:40 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

UL fans got mad Calipari was the grand Marshall in the Derby parade after we won it all. Saying it was THEIR city. Kids.

27. 1.21 Jiggawats
    9:41 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m not joking, I read Mitch’s comments the day he said them and thought, “Huh… he did a great job there. He got through that without ticking anyone off”.

How in the world, Louisville Fans are upset by THOSE comments?!? This is beyond ridiculous, I’m beginning to think this is a act because their media is must really bored. They’re only making themselves look desperate and obsessive.

I’ve learned to never underestimate little brothers feelings again. Is that entire fan base women?

28. Cats, Cats, Cats
    9:45 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

As Matt said this morning on his show……… this is the very definition of “little brother syndrome”. The U of L students’ anti-UK chants during their campus celebration immediately after this year’s championship game also comes to mind.

29. Tommy Jurich
    9:49 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I would expect nothing more…

30. Tommy Jurich
    9:54 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I guess our whiny fans will never let us get respect…lilbro C4

31. Bubba Earl
    9:56 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I quit reading that “HOE” when he left the courious journal,even then I resigned from his useless journalism then.

32. ikeeveready
    10:42 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

34 & 35 – Jealous????
    Could you ever hear Jerry Jones, Al Davis, the Tuna, etc say what Bozich wrote about a rival winning it all???

You guys are morons. UKAD handled it perfectly when talking to the UK TRUSTEES. We want our guy to be complimentary but not forget the competition.

Bunch of crybaby, sore winners.

And birds don’t have teeth.

33. Gary Wells
    10:55 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Bob, #35,

Why should UK fans be jealous? You’re AFRAID we will drop you from our schedule.
    You can’t even fill your LITTLE stadium on your own.

Yea, I know we had a bad attendance year, but, that had to be done to get rid of
    Charlie’s buddy, Joker. We had more for the spring game than you’ve ever had at that
    LITTLE stadium hosting all those teams on that IMPOSING schedule of yours.

Why don’t you try giving away used Rick Pitino condoms. Maybe that will increase sales!!!!

Oh, Bob, I don’t mind helping Western so we’ll try to keep them on the schedule.

34. the right answer is
    12:03 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

“I don’t care how they did. Never have, never will. I only worry about UK.”
    That should ave been Barnhart’s answer. The hell with what bigzitch has to say nobody reads anything he or Crawfart write anymore anyway…..lol

35. the right answer is
    12:03 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

*have

36. Thin Red Kid
    12:24 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Number 16, I hope you are a Louisville fan trolling, because if not, you are the most sterotypical Eastern Kentucky UK fan of all time, and that’s saying something. I’m sick of my tax dollars paying for your Medicade and disability. If everything East of I75 was given to West Virginia, this state’s budget problems would be solved over night.

37. Shopdeca Online Store
    12:59 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I do not even know the way I stopped up right here, but I believed this post was good. I do not recognize who you might be but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

38. BravoBigBlue
    6:13 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what Mitch Barnhart did or didn’t say? I just don’t have much use for him and actually cringe whenever he speaks into an open mic. Loooking forward to the next UK AD, whomever that may be. But Bozich is a no-talent hack.

39. btowncat
    6:28 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Everyone shouldn’t be so surprised. The best advice I can give for his uniformed comments is to ignore. Drop him on twitter, refuse to read his articles, he needs UK more than UK needs his sorry articles. We have given his garbage way too much time.

40. catheaven
    7:21 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I recall reading that right after they won the championship this year that UL fans were out in the streets screaming, “F UK”. I can assure you that the year before when we won the championship that no UK fans were yelling anything about UL. They were the furthest thing on our minds. We were celebrating our win. Matt said it right, Little Brother syndrome looking for approval from little brother. Pathetic.

41. Johnny cash
    8:27 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Is that Rick Bozich in drag or Marty Stewart?

42. BPM
    9:03 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey FatBlueKid, you are a steaming pile of worthless and I can’t believe no one else has really called you out. I wish people like you would fall off the face of the earth. My guess is that you have contributed absolutely nothing to the betterment of society or this Commonwealth, for that matter. What are true Kentucky values by the way?

43. Greg
    10:34 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

The ten UL fans outside of Louisville will be so proud.

44. Rick
    10:59 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Matt i know you have to read what these guys write so you can defend the BBN, thankfully i don’t have to read him or Crawford.Sound like some card fans and writers are just big cry babies but we already new that. The only card sports person i would listen to is Tony Vanetta and cant listen to him because of the turd thats on air with him.

45. Rick
    11:03 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

By the way # 11 well said.

46. SamKat
    11:05 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks STATS (17)! I thought Mitch Barnhart made a classy statement as is his habit. He faces his job head on and gives it his all. Thanks KSR!