Paul Shaffer’s Monday News and Views

Another Derby Weekend is in the books with Billy Clyde’s favorite horse, I’ll Have Another, taking the victory in a Derby that included a record crowd. I went to part of both Oaks and Derby Day (the heat made it impossible to have too much fun for me), but the best part of Derby weekend to me is seeing random celebrities. From Clay Walker to Dante from “Clerks”, the chance to talk to the randoms (I prefer B and C listers to Ashton Kucher any day) is always intriguing. I was especially excited to meet Paul Shaffer, the leader of the band for David Letterman. As longtime readers of this site know, Letterman is in my Top Three, along with Tony Kornheiser and Charles Barkley, of individuals who I have liked for decades due to their sense of humor and keen wit. Thus with Shaffer being connected to over 20 years of watching Dave, I looked forward to getting a picture and saying hello. As should be expected, he walked into the Barnstable Brown party wearing his trademark sunglasses, carrying his usual odd smirk on his face and touching everything in his proximity (I have never seen anyone walk with his hands out in front of him more…it is somewhat mesmerizing to view). I said hello and he declined the chance to be interviewed for KSTV (I wanted to know his opinion on whether Jon Hood would see meaningful minutes this season). But once inside, he didn’t let me down…his performance with Travis Tritt (another odd combination) was the highlight of the musical part of the evening, which included Boyz II Men, Jason Aldean, DMC, Joey Fatone, Cyndi Lauper, Eddie Montgomery and Cece Peniston…quite an eclectic collection. As he left, he gave me a high five and said, “keep cool in the Kentucky breeze”, which didn’t make any sense, but will nevertheless become my new departure line to end conversations. While Kid Rock and Kate Upton may have no showed, Shaffer saved the evening and as he walked away, I overheard Terrence Jones say, “hey, isn’t that the guy from that show?” Yes it is Terrence…

To the news:

— The big news of the day is the change in the recruiting situation for Kentucky going into a new week. While no one is shocked that Mark Lyons picked Arizona, the news that Anthony Bennett to UK is a longshot is a surprise to all. Last week we all thought Bennett was choosing which SEC school he would attend, and now UNLV seems his likely home. I was told about the development by a couple of different sources this weekend and all said that UK getting Bennett was very unlikely. The combination of issues that I detailed in a post below, means that Kentucky is still without a backup big man or shooting guard at this stage. UPDATE: Adam Zagoria is now reporting that Bennett has officially eliminated Kentucky.

The Cats are still after Amile Jefferson, who presumably will now get all of the attention from the staff. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next interview of Jefferson (which I wont do since we are out of t-shirts), as we can find out if UK has truly turned up the heat. The other big development is that Wright State’s Julius Mays is apparently a serious target for the UK staff. I am told that they are very interested and hope to get him on campus this week. If that happens and UK gets Mays for his Senior season, you will have the odd development that Kentucky will have as 2 of its 3 backcourt members, two guys who were once slotted to play together at NC State. Ain’t life strange.

— If you turned on the Derby and weren’t paying attention, you might have thought that the Run for the Roses was an infomercial for Kentucky basketball. By my count, UK basketball came up on the national broadcast of the race five times. John Calipari was interviewed on Millionaire’s Row, the five players were shown walking in on the red carpet, Calipari gave the “Riders Up” command to the jockeys, Terrence Jones and Anthony Davis presented the roses to the winning jockey and Governor Steve Beshear gave a shout out to the Cats as he presented the winner’s trophy. All in all, it was “All Cats Everything” in Louisville and Cardinal fans are not surprisingly, furious. I have two things to say to them…first, it is the “Kentucky Derby”, not the “Louisville Derby.” And whether you like it or not, we are a part of this state. And second, if it bothers you so much, win. Then maybe you too can be a part of the fun.

— Lost a bit in the shuffle of the Derby and recruiting was Kentucky’s trip to the White House on Friday. We had a great deal of information and many pictures on the site on Friday, but if you missed it, the experience can best be summarized with this…the players loved it. At Barnstable, Darius Miller told me that it was the “coolest experience of my life” and that when the President mentioned his name, he said “it will be something I remember forever.” Orlando Antigua said, “the guys were completely overwhelmed. It was one of the best things I have ever done.” The players seemed completely in awe, and I am really happy for them that they had the experience. It will also probably be the last moments the entire team is ever together again, so watch the video below and savor it one last time.

— I expect that we will hear this week about some new developments in the schedule. I think a couple of interesting things are on the horizon that fans will like. So before anyone complains to loudly about losing Indiana or North Carolina (the latter of which will probably return next year), wait until you see the completed product.

— Finally, Jeff Van Gundy said on the broadcast of today’s Knicks vs Heat game that Josh Harrellson must have made up the name Jorts and he couldnt believe anyone would call him that name. First of all, KSR made up the nickname, and if you don’t believe anyone calls him that, come visit Kentucky. Be careful Jeff, as I don’t want to have to pick a new favorite Van Gundy.

— As a side note, if not for the Shaffer day, I would have certainly dedicated the news and views to George Lindsey, aka Goober from “The Andy Griffith Show.” He died today and left behind a lot of great memories for those of us who are fans of all things Mayberry. Goober says hey, and hey to Goober.

Also, congrats to Darius and Eloy for their graduation, a great accomplishment for both young men. We will talk about all of the above, plus more goofy celebrity stories from the weekend on KSR from 10-noon. Check it out…and finally, your moment of zen again:

(h/t @sirmattpowell)

Article written by Matt Jones

44 Comments for Paul Shaffer’s Monday News and Views

1. SKat
    10:40 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Quite a personal profile they gave Harrellson during the game. Go Jorts!

2. Peter Long
    10:44 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Any news that BCG was juiced at the derby?

3. Mack
    10:50 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Did enjoy the expression on Obama’s face when he realized he was being presented a National Championship ring from the CATS. Would another team had done the same or I guess has any other team presented any President a Championship Ring from any sport?

4. cracka
    11:04 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

bennett cut uk from his list

5. Duke sucks
    11:09 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Well that’s that. Come on down Jefferson. Good luck to ya Bennett

6. SayHarrowToTheRepeat
    11:09 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I’m wondering if there’s a decent chance we land Jefferson, or if it’s too late.

7. shields eyes
    11:10 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

RIP Goober Pyle

8. namcat
    11:19 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

What a huge mistake he made.

9. SUPREMECATS
    11:27 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

lol how you just gonna bite the daily show Matt? haha

10. Duke sucks
    11:29 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Dought if he made a mistake. Just because they don’t come here doesn’t mean that made a mistake.We have a kid named Wiljer who will be playing a lot of time at the 4. We have a good group here next year so it might be better for him to go we’re he can dominate the Ball like Royce White did.Cal says UK isn’t for every one.

11. Vinny's Big Feet
    11:40 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

As the last week has shown no one really knows what’s going on in recruiting. Lets be glad we no longer have to worry about. Trust in Cal and be glad we aren’t trolling the internet listening to interviews with Vinny Zollo’s mom about her visit with BCG!

12. Duke sucks
    11:41 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Damn I think we all got the point.The team went to the White House and KSR likes Obama. We have talk this to death can we move on.Hell KSR didn’t give this much coverage to Actualy winning the title.

13. Jarweed
    11:41 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

It’s not the Louisville Derby, and it’s not the University of Jodie Meeks.

14. Vinny's Big Feet
    11:43 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Matt,

Been following the site since the start. Your writing is still the best thing it has going for it. Would love to see the posts about the trophy caravan if you ever get time to write about the behind the scenes stuff. Also, would love to give up a little $$$ for a KSR uncensored Billy G podcast!

ps- Did you see Jai Lucas at the derby and if so has he decided where to use that last year of eligibility?

15. george w bush
    12:02 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Of course Matt loves Letterman–he’s one of the most liberal men in the business. Agree with 13–enough about the White House.

16. rodgers
    12:14 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

so bummed out about Lyons/Bennet… I hope we can get Jefferson and Mayes cause we still have 5 good players and if we can just have a bench we can compete for a title. The game is gonna be so bad next year, it just stinks that we couldnt land Bazz/Oriaki/Bennett/Lyons

17. BigBlue1976
    12:21 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Did anybody not read the earliet posts? Said Bennet had serious academic issues. Worse than Bledsoe. Dont need that headache. Good luck to the kid tho.

18. jrs
    12:26 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Why is KSR editing comments? If you guys post crappy stuff, why shouldn’t people say that?

19. UK
    12:34 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Cal just posted about the schedule

When you talk about our schedule versus other programs, let’s take a look at the major conference programs we play like Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville and North Carolina. Who are the ranked non-conference opponents that they played that were not in a made-for-TV challenge or tournament? Tell me who they played.

Cal gives a big middle finger to the rest of the country and I love it!

20. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    2:20 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’d be surprised if we played anyone besides Syracuse or Cincinnati in the SEC-Big East thing.

21. gog8ors
    4:57 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Bennett’s transcript is a train wreck. That is the reason he cut both Florida and Kentucky, he was never going to qualify academically for either school. Good luck to the kid, hope he gets his act together and becomes a better person from this whole experience.

22. SuperTroy
    5:48 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Bennett always seemed a little shady. Kinda seemed out of shape to me as well. JMO though. I think if he goes to UNLV, he might let the nightlife get to him a bit. Friends on the team with him, fairly weak competition, grades can get swept under the rug a bit at a mid-major program. Lots of bad omens there. I do wish him the best though. That team should definitely win its conference and be ranked most of the season. I hope we can get Jefferson. He’s waited this long, maybe Cal can really make up some ground. We get him, and the next best perimeter shooter out there, and we are gonna have pretty good depth in a very down CBB season.
    I know Lyons was a bad seed to a lot of Cat fans and they didn’t want that baggage, but I think we missed out big with not getting him. To me, he’s a bigger loss than Bennett. Zona could definitely be solid this coming season. Maybe even a Final Four team. I don’t think Miller is much of a coach though really. He might get there, but he won’t do much else. Cats could really battle for the top of the mountain all season. I’m looking forward to it. Just wanna see this roster get finalized. Go CATS!!!

23. Kim
    6:04 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky needs to drop Bennett, because it sounds like they already have. We don’t need any more scrutiny of the program. Btw, Fire Joker!

24. [email protected]
    6:54 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget we still have Kyle WIltjer and he will have minutes to step up next year. He will need to work on defense and rebuilding but once he starts playing major minutes, he could be a big time force at the 4.

25. catcrawler
    7:30 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m ALL for Jefferson, kid can play ball –

26. REAL BLY
    7:49 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

UK WENT TO THE WHITEHOUSE????????????????????????

27. Ronald Popeye Jones
    8:01 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy….

28. Justin
    8:07 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

where in that article does it say Anthony bennett himself said he cut UK. all it said was he thought he could do better at Oregon and UNLV but he can still go to UK.

29. Devastation INC
    8:08 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Paul Shaffer really. Once not have just put ellen back up.

30. Dr. Gonzo
    8:25 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

“a big dick deep tournament in a tournament in a real tournament a deep run in the tournament.”

yes, they did.

31. #UnfollowAnthonyBennett
    8:31 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

#UnfollowAnthonyBennett

32. Al's IndiCats
    8:34 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Oh well, I hope Benett has a good time where ever he decides to go. The Ducks and the Rebs will be mediocre at best with him. Like the man said Kentucky isn’t for everybody. Go Cats!!!!!!!!!

33. Chris Matthews
    9:13 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

#13, #16 SUCK IT. A Liberal is in the White House now. I had to suck it for 8 years of dumbass Dubya. The WORST president in American history/drove the country in a deep ditch. So now you suck it.

34. Chris Matthews
    9:16 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

#30 “Once not have just put ellen back up.” Still trying to figure out this sentence.

35. Smyrna_Cat
    9:34 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Why is KSR editing comments?

Doesn’t that go against the entire concept of this site?

36. bluefan
    9:58 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Been a Letterman fan from the beginning – LOVE Paul Schaffer! AND I’m not a liberal. You guys read politics into everything.

Best of luck to Bennett. Hope he gets his act together, but we don’t need problems like his. I’ve actually wanted Jefferson from the beginning. Hope it’s not to late to land him.

37. devastation inc
    10:02 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

35- oh I don’t know maybe just guessing here but have u ever heard of an edited comment? Y r u an ellen-clooney lover?

38. Chris Matthews
    10:10 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

#38 once not have comment edited back up downtown to the store.

39. motodog
    10:19 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Never hear from Bennett again

40. motodog
    10:24 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Why can’t we all be like John Short

41. Bob Loblaw
    1:34 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

The team meeting the president is just awesome! That being said, it bugs me that I have to hear “uh” a few hundred times from from him.

42. rick
    5:26 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Did Gilchrist go to the derby? I didn’t see him with the other guys

43. JohnBlinkylightGuy
    5:28 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Have I had too many Shock-Tops or is that Billy The Kid.. Or is that obvious?